Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Visa Debit Card roll out thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Yes, they're accepted anywhere Visa's accepted online or physically in a POS terminal or ATM.

Retailers who have their POS terminals setup to specifically accept Visa Debit (as all will have / already have in Ireland) can accept the cards as Visa Debit, rather than just a generic Visa card. This means they can avail of better rates than a credit card.

It will work EXACTLY like your existing Laser Card, but the fact it's a Visa branded card just means you will have all the functionality of a Visa Card added on.

I don't think you can specifically request one just yet. Although, you could ring your bank and ask.

They will probably issue them to customers as existing cards expire or are replaced.

The BOI cards will be changed over earlier than AIB though. I think you might be waiting until late in 2012 early 2013 for AIB.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ladjacket

Solair wrote: »
    Yes, they're accepted anywhere Visa's accepted online or physically in a POS terminal or ATM.

Retailers who have their POS terminals setup to specifically accept Visa Debit (as all will have / already have in Ireland) can accept the cards as Visa Debit, rather than just a generic Visa card. This means they can avail of better rates than a credit card.

It will work EXACTLY like your existing Laser Card, but the fact it's a Visa branded card just means you will have all the functionality of a Visa Card added on.

I don't think you can specifically request one just yet. Although, you could ring your bank and ask.

They will probably issue them to customers as existing cards expire or are replaced.

The BOI cards will be changed over earlier than AIB though. I think you might be waiting until late in 2012 early 2013 for AIB.

Thanks for that Solair!

Switching cards over is actually quite logistically challenging. It just takes a while to get them all printed, programmed and posted. So, they'll do it bit-by-bit.

They also won't do it all together as they would unleash a lot of customer support issues as people call up wondering what this weird card that they've been posted is :D

I'm sure if you really desperately want one, most banks will facilitate you once they have the cards available. You could always just tell the bank you're moving to PTSB or Ulster to avail of it :D

Despite the rumors to the contrary, the banks still like actually keeping customers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭berrypendel

Heard part of an interview sayng laser would be discontinued and there would be higher charges on its replacement visa debit I think. Has anyone more info

I wouldn't be surprised if the banks tried to sneak in higher charges when they switch.

However, there's absolutely no reason why the charges would be any higher. There's a lot of confusion about this in the media.

Visa Debit is not a credit card, and would not be subject to the same kind of charges as a credit card.

AFAIK, the already successfully rolled out PTSB and Ulster Bank Visa Debit cards are accepted by low cost retailers like Aldi without fuss, but they will absolutely not take Visa / MasterCard credit cards.

Some smaller retailers are absolutely clueless about credit and debit cards.

I know I've seen and heard retailers refuse US-issued Visa/MC because there was no chip. They don't seem to even realise that they can accept a non-chip card, by swiping it. They just cannot accept a chipped card by swiping and signing.

The banks really don't seem to educate their end users very well at all or give sufficient information about their products.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be surprised if the banks tried to sneak in higher charges when they switch.

However, there's absolutely no reason why the charges would be any higher. There's a lot of confusion about this in the media.

Visa Debit is not a credit card, and would not be subject to the same kind of charges as a credit card.

AFAIK, the already successfully rolled out PTSB and Ulster Bank Visa Debit cards are accepted by low cost retailers like Aldi without fuss, but they will absolutely not take Visa / MasterCard credit cards.

I know I've seen and heard retailers refuse US-issued Visa/MC because there was no chip. They don't seem to even realise that they can accept a non-chip card, by swiping it. They just cannot accept a chipped card by swiping and signing.

The banks really don't seem to educate their end users very well at all or give sufficient information about their products.
    he said that on the card to replace laser, the charge to the retailer would go from 8 cents per transaction to a possible euro and that the retailer may pass on that charge.

That is right as far as I can recall did not hear it all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

he said that on the card to replace laser, the charge to the retailer would go from 8 cents per transaction to a possible euro and that the retailer may pass on that charge.

That is right as far as I can recall did not hear it all

Currently with laser, there is a fixed charge, bad for small transactions, good for larger ones. Visa Debit charge a percentage, which is a huge advantage for smaller transactions imho. I've heard that AIB are going to begin rolling out their contactless Visa Debit from June/July onwards.

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Currently with laser, there is a fixed charge, bad for small transactions, good for larger ones. Visa Debit charge a percentage, which is a huge advantage for smaller transactions imho. I've heard that AIB are going to begin rolling out their contactless Visa Debit from June/July onwards.
    Is there a charge to the customer currently?

mmcn90 wrote: »

That's really up to the acquiring banks who provide the credit / debit card machines. If they are going to use phasing out Laser as an excuse to gouge retailers. It's nothing to do with the technology or the brand on the card. It's their business model!

http://www.examiner.ie/business/shops-face-10m-cost-for-accepting-credit-debit-cards-186139.html

Retailers will have to lobby and shop around if this is the case. There are quite a lot of credit card acquirers!!

In general in Ireland, one of the biggest hurdles to e-commerce and also to physical retail can be the costs involved around card transactions and terminals and merchant accounts etc.

The banks do *very* little to help businesses adopt these technologies smoothly and they end up undermining businesses in Ireland by imposing higher costs than equivalent business have in the UK and elsewhere.

Try operating an online retailer in Ireland! You're absolutely shafted by the banks on all sorts of merchant account fees, card handling fees etc etc. Then you're hit again by high postage and courier charges that are often drastically out of line with the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

They just cannot accept a chipped card by swiping and signing.

They actually can but they are then fully liable if the card turns out to be stolen.

• Advertisement

amen wrote: »
    They actually can but they are then fully liable if the card turns out to be stolen.

Not if the card's got no chip on it in the first place.

That only applies if they override the chip and pin protection on a chip card and opt to swipe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Yes they can accept it but depending on the merchant agreement the charges can be higher and or the charge back protection isn't applicable. So they have ever right to refuse them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Is there a charge to the customer currently?

Not directly. Any retailer worth their salt would factor it into the cost of their operations, however.

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    Yes they can accept it but depending on the merchant agreement the charges can be higher and or the charge back protection isn't applicable. So they have ever right to refuse them.

Details on non-chip cards:

http://www.safecard.ie/retailers/accepting-non-chip-pin-payment-cards/

You can also ask for ID if you wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Is that article aimed at me? I can't see it's relevance at all. Mentions nothing about higher fees or losing chargeback protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 TippMan2010

Contacted AIB about this last week and they couldn't give me an exact date but will be introducing visa debit in the second half of 2012 for definite

• Registered Users Posts: 22 King Leer

AIB are ridiculous. It's been almost a year since they announced their intention to introduce the Visa Debit Card, and they're taking so long to introduce it. It can't possibly take that long! They're the last major bank in the country to still be issuing Laser. I've been so tempted to switch to Ulster Bank..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 untitledname

King Leer wrote: »
    AIB are ridiculous. It's been almost a year since they announced their intention to introduce the Visa Debit Card, and they're taking so long to introduce it. It can't possibly take that long! They're the last major bank in the country to still be issuing Laser. I've been so tempted to switch to Ulster Bank..

At the announcement, it was always said it would be the second half of 2012, you've known how long it would take http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/aib-to-switch-from-laser-to-visa-debit-cards-513198.html

They're in no rush. Switching your largest card scheme over to another platform takes time.

These are (by Irish standards) *huge* schemes.

They're in no rush. Switching your largest card scheme over to another platform takes time.

These are (by Irish standards) *huge* schemes.

You're right, of course, but isn't it still an indictment of the nation we live in whereby we measure everything by 'Irish standards'? This is why we lag behind other countries in our social, economic and technological advances, because of the 'ah sur' it'll be grand' attitude that dominates in our culture.

• Advertisement

You're right, of course, but isn't it still an indictment of the nation we live in whereby we measure everything by 'Irish standards'? This is why we lag behind other countries in our social, economic and technological advances, because of the 'ah sur' it'll be grand' attitude that dominates in our culture.

I mean, by Irish banking standards those schemes are enormous. They represent the largest payment card system in Ireland. There are almost 3 million cards in use. BOI and AIB are by far the largest issuers of debit cards in Ireland and they have card services resources in proportion to their size. It will take a while to get all those cards printed, programmed, issued and out to customers without a hitch.

The last thing you want to do in a roll out like this is chuck millions of cards out and have a glitch and then not be able to support them on the helplines.

I'm just saying this from memory, but didn't Bank of Ireland announce they were going to switch to Visa Debit at about the same time as AIB last summer? BOI said they'd have it rolled out by the end of 2011 (which they have) while AIB put the roll-out date at end of 2012..
    Now, I know AIB have a bigger customer base than BOI, but still, that's a big difference, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭woodzie

Yea there is a big difference in time frame but it looks like AIB estimated the time it would take to implement it properly. BOI said that their cards would be implemented by the end of 2011. It's now April 2012 and there's still no sign of them issuing the cards. At this rate AIB will have their cards issued before BOI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

woodzie wrote: »
    Yea there is a big difference in time frame but it looks like AIB estimated the time it would take to implement it properly. BOI said that their cards would be implemented by the end of 2011. It's now April 2012 and there's still no sign of them issuing the cards. At this rate AIB will have their cards issued before BOI

My BOI laser expires in May, are they still reissuing laser cards?

I have definitely seen people with BOI Visa Debit Cards already..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Any update on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,530 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

woodzie wrote: »

If memory serves me right, AIB had completed their Chip&Pin roll out before BoI even got started, so they might well get the Visa Debit rollout done first.

I have definitely seen people with BOI Visa Debit Cards already..

That could be Northern Ireland cards or the staff trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Mnaylor10

My brother has a BOI debit visa. I rang AIB customer care one time i lost my laser and they told me they would have debit visa cards by roughly september.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

I hope they come out soon, I'm dying to get one :)

Advertisement