Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

MarcinG wrote: »
    i probably looked up some OLD posts or maybe they were referring to person of certain age or something. Thank you.

Yes. There are size restrictions if you're under 24.

I did the full IBT on a600. But bought a 250cc.

And then after about 10 months commuting did 2 pre-test lessons on the instructors 600cc, borrowed the bike for the test (and passed). I'm still on the 250cc 5 months later, and loving it.

Oh, I'm a bit smaller that you, don't need to use motorways, so the 250 suits me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Ibt expires after 2 years I think

Just to be clear - you don't have to repeat your IBT to renew your learner permit. Yes, the certificate expires but the renewal of your permit is not dependent on it. It may become pertinent in situations where you are applying to upgrade your full licence through progressive access for example, but where there are no circumstantial changes, a straight renewal of your permit happens independently of your IBT cert expiry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

MarcinG wrote: »
    I can hardly believe that IBT will have gear in my size (i'm in 4XL-6XL range and spent 5 hours last weekend trying to find ANY set to suit me in couple of shops...). Is any kind of gear (apart from helmet) mandatory for IBT/road use?

Other people have covered the bikes. But for the gear.
    Have you tried looking online? A quick check on sportsbikeshop shows me jackets up to 12XL & thevisorshop go up to 10XL.

Have you tried ebay or donedeal? Anything but a helmet should be fine second hand, just google the brand etc.

The gear is out there, you might just have to dig. I'm an awkward size (My leg length & waist are the same size) and I was able to get gear.

The helmet is the only mandatory gear. And I would recommend buying that in a store so you can get a properly fitted one.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭eire1

Anyone any good tips for getting over nerves?? Did the IBT day 1 yesterday and was a bit shaky but picked things up in the end but today we went to do the slalom and just couldn't get it and basically completely mentally shut down and couldn't continue. I couldn't stop myself moving he throttle then I'd feel too fast or I wouldn't give it enough and I'd be too slow and I'd feel like I'd topple. Just got completely freaked. 1st time ever riding a bike was yesterday

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

eire1 wrote: »
    Anyone any good tips for getting over nerves??

Take a deep breath and relax. Obviously, you can do it. So, it's all in your head. You're not the first one to have nerves and won't be the last.

Slow down, relax and just take your time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

IBT was my first time on a bike too, really struggled, similar to you on throttle control and confidence, took me a bit longer to get through it.
    Your instructor shouldnt be rushing you, the IBT hours are minimum, if you need more time then you should take it. I took a bit longer, and would take a few steps back sometimes before going forwards again. It's handy if the instructor has different bikes too, they had a 250 I couldnt get the hang of at all, but jumped on the 650 and was great. Moved up to 750 and was a bit shaky, so back to the 650 for a while to get the confidence and then up to the 750 again.
    Taking a break is a good thing too, it allows the brain time to process. I did my 2 IBT days a week apart, reckon it helped me.
    Bottom line - dont rush it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

hold on with your legs and keep your hands loose, won't help with the nerves but the whole thing will feel easier

thos wrote: »
    IBT was my first time on a bike too, really struggled, similar to you on throttle control and confidence, took me a bit longer to get through it.
    Your instructor shouldnt be rushing you, the IBT hours are minimum, if you need more time then you should take it. I took a bit longer, and would take a few steps back sometimes before going forwards again. It's handy if the instructor has different bikes too, they had a 250 I couldnt get the hang of at all, but jumped on the 650 and was great. Moved up to 750 and was a bit shaky, so back to the 650 for a while to get the confidence and then up to the 750 again.
    Taking a break is a good thing too, it allows the brain time to process. I did my 2 IBT days a week apart, reckon it helped me.
    Bottom line - dont rush it!

Yeah, he was getting quite annoyed with me by the end. It's obviously easy when you know how to do it. I picked up the rest after a few tries but I'd say I was on try 8/9 and hadn't improved on it at all, think I made it past the first cone and it would all fall apart.

Have you got your own bike yet? Patience is importance, but practice helps a lot too.

eire1 wrote: »
    Yeah, he was getting quite annoyed with me by the end. It's obviously wasy when you know how to do it.

Sometimes you just need to stop, get off the bike, walk around for 5 min and clear the head. Then you get back on, and life is good again.

No point in getting upset or wound up. And no point in the instructor getting annoyed. I guess he was just getting frustrated with you, since he knew you could do it.

Like with all things on a bike - practice, practice, practice. Go find an empty carpark and practice in peace and quiet. In some common carparks you may find 1-2 other bikes there doing the same thing. :D I used to go to Northwood to practice, and sometimes there would be others there for the same thing, and some instructors too. Then you can watch and learn, as well as practice yourself. On Sunday, that area has bollards up, so only bikes can get in. Made for a great safe area to practice.

• Advertisement

Have you got your own bike yet? Patience is importance, but practice helps a lot too.

Not yet but a friend of a friend has a CB250 that I've first dibs on. He's doing some work on it

Paulw wrote: »
    Sometimes you just need to stop, get off the bike, walk around for 5 min and clear the head. Then you get back on, and life is good again.

No point in getting upset or wound up. And no point in the instructor getting annoyed. I guess he was just getting frustrated with you, since he knew you could do it.

Like with all things on a bike - practice, practice, practice. Go find an empty carpark and practice in peace and quiet. In some common carparks you may find 1-2 other bikes there doing the same thing. :D I used to go to Northwood to practice, and sometimes there would be others there for the same thing, and some instructors too. Then you can watch and learn, as well as practice yourself. On Sunday, that area has bollards up, so only bikes can get in. Made for a great safe area to practice.

Was thinking that yeah, based in Blanch and it has the huge open car park by Smyths etc. Practiced in the car there too yonks ago

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Didactic Ninja

I'm unsure about one aspect of this and i have read a lot of this thread so apologies if i have missed it.

After acquiring learner permit cat A and doing IBT you apply for your test.
    You wait 6 months.

In the interim 6 months you are not obliged to do anything i presume. I don't HAVE to buy a bike.I could rent the schools one on the day of test and sit the test . Is this correct?

And a second similar question. Could you buy a bike thats A2 , A1 or moped in the interim 6 months (as they are cheaper) and then similarly just borrow a Cat A bike from the school for your test.

The reason i ask both questions is because i don't actually want to be a motorcyclist in Ireland. But i want a license for use abroad. Its easier to sit it here in a language i understand and with proof of address here etc

After acquiring learner permit cat A and doing IBT you apply for your test.
    You wait 6 months.

In the interim 6 months you are not obliged to do anything i presume. I don't HAVE to buy a bike.I could rent the schools one on the day of test and sit the test . Is this correct?

And a second similar question. Could you buy a bike thats A2 , A1 or moped in the interim 6 months (as they are cheaper) and then similarly just borrow a Cat A bike from the school for your test.

After you get your learner permit, you must wait 6 months before you apply for your test.

Correct in that you don't need to do anything during those 6 months. But, it wouldn't be easy to pass the test without practice for more than 6 months.

Once you have your A permit and completed IBT, you can ride any bike. For the test, you will need an A valid bike to do the test on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

So, having gone into the local NDLS today to change the address on my licence i chanced my arm and asked the lady at the counter "i suppose it's so long since i had a learner permit for a bike,i'll now have to do the theory test again?"

The last permit expired years ago and to my amazement i was told i can get another permit by just reapplying to sit the test.

I initially got that provisional licence in January 2004 with the last one being in 2011.

The car licence is 'keeping it alive' they told me as when i did the theory test almost 14 years ago both A&B were on the same cert.

So now i'll get the permit and do the IBT.

Is it difficult and as it is modules 1,3&5 i need to do is it expensive?

Not difficult and between 300 and 500 euro you will need modules 1 3 and 5

The last permit expired years ago and to my amazement i was told i can get another permit by just reapplying to sit the test.

This means it expired less than 5 years ago. If it had gone over the 5 year mark, you would have been a full start over with no need to book a test.

Not difficult and between 300 and 500 euro you will need modules 1 3 and 5
    It's almost 10 years since i was on a bike, can i go straight onto a 650 with the riding school? A bandit 600 was my last bike. What do those 3 modules consist of?
    cantdecide wrote: »
    This means it expired less than 5 years ago. If it had gone over the 5 year mark, you would have been a full start over with no need to book a test.

This is the interesting part, when i go to make the application(after christmas) it will be over the 5 years, they said that doesn't matter as long as the full car licence remains live.

Thank you to you both for replying.

Have either of you heard of JT Motorcycles?

Was looking at buying there.

It's almost 10 years since i was on a bike, can i go straight onto a 650 with the riding school? A bandit 600 was my last bike. What do those 3 modules consist of?

You'll be going straight onto an A class bike so it has to be over 595cc and over 50KW in power and a few other things to do with power to weight ratio

The modules are made up of classroom stuff, in a car park driving around cones and then being on public roads. 18 hours of training

You should apply for the provisional sooner so the 6 month wait for the full test can start counting now and you can do the test in summer

You'll be going straight onto an A class bike so it has to be over 595cc and over 50KW in power and a few other things to do with power to weight ratio

The modules are made up of classroom stuff, in a car park driving around cones and then being on public roads. 18 hours of training

You should apply for the provisional sooner so the 6 month wait for the full test can start counting now and you can do the test in summer

Just off the phone from the local instructor,he is well known and respected in biking circles around here.

IBT: €500
    2 Hour lesson on a school bike is €120
    Hire of bike for test including 1 hour pre-test is €120.

I really need to get a move on and get this done.

Excellent value there in I.M.O even if i haven't ridden a bike in almost 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,126 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Are they actually giving you an unrestricted A?

I thought if they were renewing an old (pre-direct access, therefore restricted) A it'd be renewed as an A2. The current A is a step up in class so you'd need IBT.

I see you have IBT above, but on the other page you said they said you just needed to apply for a test to get a learner permit - presumably they meant A2?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Are they actually giving you an unrestricted A?

I thought if they were renewing an old (pre-direct access, therefore restricted) A it'd be renewed as an A2. The current A is a step up in class so you'd need IBT.

I see you have IBT above, but on the other page you said they said you just needed to apply for a test to get a learner permit - presumably they meant A2?

IBT needed for A.

IBT not needed for A2

Anyone over the age of 24 can have the cat A learner category on their permit. The question then is whether they have completed their IBT to validate the category.

The same is true of a cat B learner category holder - you get the learner category in advance of completing EDT to allow you to complete the training.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭MunchkinKid

Hi all, I posted a few months ago and have finally got round to getting the A learner permit and booking the IBT! It's in a few days. Any tips for it/things to bring/be aware of that you would've liked to have known before you did your IBT?!
    I'm completely new to bikes so open to all advice :)

I didn't do IBT but I did its precursor back in 2008 (RoSPA training) and all I can think that I was missing was an understanding of what countersteering is.

Aside from that, all else should be given to you on the day.

My counter advice is ignore anyone who talks about counter steering(sorry) - instead try going out for a cycle on a push bike before the IBT and remind your body about balance, you’ll find if you can steer a bicycle you can steer a motorbike.

My advice is to go at your own pace, build up slowly, keep your head up and remember to look where you want to go (otherwise you will go where you’re looking!), and enjoy!

big breakfast and drink water before you go it's a long day

My counter advice is ignore anyone who talks about counter steering(sorry)
    instead try going out for a cycle on a push bike before the IBT and remind your body about balance, you’ll find if you can steer a bicycle you can steer a motorbike

That might be your subjective experience but I object to dismissing it out of hand. I think when many riders, for different reasons find it a stumbling block. All those riders also rode bicycles before riding motorcycles. It's not as intuitive to countersteer on a motorcycle as it's heavier and takes more confidence. Hence the existence of demonstration videos like the one I linked.

I took my training, the topic wasn't covered and I literally didn't know about it. I got my own bike on the road and for the first two weeks I rode around trying to encourage by bike to lean because of my lack of confidence with the bars. I cribbed about failing to feel comfortable in corners on a forum and someone reminded me to countersteer. The very first corner on the very next ride I had my eureka. It was intuitive and familiar from bicycle riding.

The hybrid answer is go out on a pushbike in advance of IBT and practice countersteering having seen it demonstrated on video. It's natural and intuitive. The advice then becomes - remember to countersteer. That's probably the optimal solution.

cantdecide wrote: »
    I took my training, the topic wasn't covered and I literally didn't know about it.

Even though it wasn't covered, you were still able to corner?? You must have done it, even without fully knowing you were doing it. If you over think countersteering and if you focus too much on doing it, then you loose focus on other parts of riding (like observation).

Advice for IBT - listen and learn. It is designed to be for someone with 0 experience of a bike. I know I had none when I did mine. Never been on a motorbike before. The vast majority of instructors are just great - very informative, constructive and they will guide you through how to ride the bike. Relax, breath and take it in. You can't learn everything in 2 days, but you can get enough basic training to get you on to a bike and riding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

try going out for a cycle on a push bike before the IBT and remind your body about balance, you’ll find if you can steer a bicycle you can steer a motorbike.
    Everyone is different but I was an experienced cyclist before motorcycling and found those bicycle handling skills completely useless on a motorbike.

You can bully a bicycle into doing what you want with your bodyweight, but on a motorbike it's all about what you're doing with the bars, certainly at low speeds anyway.

Advertisement