Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

are they over 24 years old? if so then straight to unrestricted A license

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Zascar wrote: »
    So you do the IBT over a weekend and then you can go get a bike - is the max 45bhp?

Once over 24yrs old, do IBT modules 1,3,5 and you can then ride any bike, no restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Probably has been asked hundreds of times and sorry in advance but if i already hold a Full Drivers license for a car for the last few years.Do i need to do another theory test to get the Motorbike learners permit?

I'm not sure of the date could be 2013 but if you did a theory test before then, then you don't have to repeat it but after then you do.

I know for sure I did my car theory test 3/4 years ago and then had to do a bike theory test in around september 2015.

You can ring the ndls centre and give them your driver number and ask if they have a theory test on file for you that would be OK for the motorbike category

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Probably has been asked hundreds of times and sorry in advance but if i already hold a Full Drivers license for a car for the last few years.Do i need to do another theory test to get the Motorbike learners permit?
    Give the RSA a call. I did my theory test in 2002 and applied for my A Learner Permit in January. RSA stated that I didn't need to repeat the test. NDLS issued the permit without question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Thanks lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

The RSA are clueless, depending on who you speak to. I was told the exact opposite.

2006 is the cut off, if you did your car theory test before then then you're golden.

Paulw wrote: »
    Once over 24yrs old, do IBT modules 1,3,5 and you can then ride any bike, no restriction.
    I still don't understand why some bikes need to be restricted when doing the actual test. Talk about a needless pain in the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,386 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If you're doing an A2 test then the bike has to meet the A2 limits, why would that be a surprise?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭T J Hooker

Zascar wrote: »
    Lads let me ask some basic questions please, I'm working on getting a few mates into bikes and I'm not that familiar with all the new rules. So you do the IBT over a weekend and then you can go get a bike - is the max 45bhp? What are some decent bikes that are popular for new bikers?

What's the deal with getting training to go to bigger bikes?

Of over 24 and going straight into unrestricted A licence, your test will need to be done on a bike with a greater than 50kw output

• Advertisement

If you're doing an A2 test then the bike has to meet the A2 limits, why would that be a surprise?
    I'm talking about the A test, you can drive whatever you want on the road unrestricted but for the test some bikes have to be restricted.

I've never heard of a bike being restricted for the unrestricted A test

I've never heard of a bike being restricted for the unrestricted A test
    Woops, never mind, having a bit of a brain fart.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 22 crv

I am confused about shoulders checks/lifesaver checks. When turning at a junction do I need to do 2 shoulder checks or 1? For example I am in the middle of the road and want to turn left, do I need to do a shoulder check before moving into the nearside position and then a shoulder check right before turning left or do I only need to do the shoulder check right before turning and I don't need to do the check when moving from middle of the road to the nearside. What is the correct way to do it? I have my test in 2 weeks and I get different answers everywhere, I don't want to fail for too many or not enough shoulder checks.

Just to clarify, I am not changing lanes, just moving from middle of the lane to the nearside or offside.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

crv wrote: »
    I am confused about shoulders checks/lifesaver checks. When turning at a junction do I need to do 2 shoulder checks or 1? For example I am in the middle of the road and want to turn left, do I need to do a shoulder check before moving into the nearside position and then a shoulder check right before turning left or do I only need to do the shoulder check right before turning and I don't need to do the check when moving from middle of the road to the nearside. What is the correct way to do it? I have my test in 2 weeks and I get different answers everywhere, I don't want to fail for too many or not enough shoulder checks.

Just to clarify, I am not changing lanes, just moving from middle of the lane to the nearside or offside.

I'm in similar position to you, test in 2 weeks, so not an authority here myself - but my take on this is 1 shoulder check - moving to left position for left turn, you check over your left shoulder to see are their cyclists or other bikes coming up on your inside. Preparing for a right turn, you check right hand side, again to see is there anyone planning to overtake you, or moving into that position ahead of you.
    If you've come to a full halt at the junction (for lights or longer wait for clearing traffic), and are moving off again, then I would check both sides before moving off - but only if a period of time has passed.

Would be great to get some more experienced feedback on this also.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,386 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Get some pre-test lessons, will be well worth it.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Anyone got any recommendations on where to get a FZ6 Fazer S2 serviced in North County Dublin? Not due one yet, but because I bought it from someone else recently and it's my first bike, I may service it early just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Hey,
    I am currently finishing my ibt next week and hoping to buy a bike after that. I am currently looking at something like a V-Strom 640 or a Transalp. But my motor cycle savvy friend reckons I should consider a 1000cc. I told him my concern about been a newbie. He says the fact that I am so heavy (135kg) and also the fact that I will be doing 1 or 2 big(ish) motorway trips a week I would really benefit from the 1000cc.

Whilst I know all the advice is to start small and work up. I am leaning towards something around 600 or 700 cc have any learners managed to get insurance on a first bike of 1000cc?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Personally, I feel that there's no harm in going for a bigger bike if you're thinking about going that way but the 600-700 range is fine for your usage the way you're describing it. I think the Transalp style bike is a good all rounder and if you're going to need it to be a commuter/ user then avoiding the bigger consumables and fuel consumption of a bigger bike is no bad thing either. In any case, as a new rider, once you get on the road and let the dust settle, you'll quickly figure out where you want to be.

In my case, I started in a Bandit 600 and within months upgraded to a GSX1400 which I still have 9 years later but most of my motivation was wanting a bike over the fables 1000cc.. I've had various 'B' bikes and I want my next one to be an XT660X as I want a good all rounder that's not too expensive to run and own.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Hey,
    I am currently finishing my ibt next week and hoping to buy a bike after that. I am currently looking at something like a V-Strom 640 or a Transalp. But my motor cycle savvy friend reckons I should consider a 1000cc. I told him my concern about been a newbie. He says the fact that I am so heavy (135kg) and also the fact that I will be doing 1 or 2 big(ish) motorway trips a week I would really benefit from the 1000cc.

Whilst I know all the advice is to start small and work up. I am leaning towards something around 600 or 700 cc have any learners managed to get insurance on a first bike of 1000cc?

I'm not positive about this, but I was chatting to a bloke in Principal Insurance a few weeks back when I was doing some price-checking and he said to avoid anything about 600cc on a Leaner Permit, you'll either end up paying a fortune or they won't insure.

• Advertisement

Yeah. That's the issue. I can get quotes on the transalp and v-strom 650, but I can't get online quotes for the varadero 1000.

Personally I would be in favour of going with the smaller bike, but just wanted to check it out.
    Part of me thinks I should just buy a cheap deauville for the first few months and then change if I want. Just been tall really limits your choices. Sat on a bandit and that was so uncomfortable and cramped.
    Sat on an xtx 660 which was very comfortable actually now that you mention, but it doesn't seem to get good reviews online, and the bike itself didn't seem to be in the best nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Hi folks, looking for recommendations for a IBT instructor in the West Dublin or Meath areas. Thanks

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Hi folks, looking for recommendations for a IBT instructor in the West Dublin or Meath areas. Thanks

Hi Pat. I am doing my Ibt refresher with airport driving school. Good range of bikes, seem ok and their motorcycle campus is just off the N3 halfway between ratoath and Dublin. I think they are a little bit more expensive than the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭micknail

Anyone with a spare L vest (small/medium) in waterford? Or know where the feck I buy one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

Passed my test first go three weeks ago in Finglas so there's an "L" tabard (XL) up for grabs if anyone needs one. Can meet up around D15 or D7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Test passed Today :D anyone needs a vest drop me a pm I will stick it in the post! It's one I got from here too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

cadete wrote: »
    Test passed Today :D anyone needs a vest drop me a pm I will stick it in the post! It's one I got from here too!

Good man.

I wouldn't say no to vest myself if you're able to mail it. Just got some good news from the ol' Credit Union, hoping to be up and running soon.

I have a question regarding gearchanges. It may be unique to Yamaha 600 Fazers or just my particular one.

When I want to change up, I preload the lever with my left foot, roll off the throttle and then pull the clutch lever. However, as soon as the throttle rolls off, the change happens and the clutch use becomes redundant.

Is that working as designed?

yes that's how it should work. I hover my hand over the clutch on upshifts but won't use it. Once the gearbox us unloaded it'll pop into the gear above with the tap of your foot but make sure you fully engage the gear before getting back onto the throttle or you'll end up with as guy martin would say a box full of neutrals

You can do the same on the way down. Not as smooth but while you're on the brakes blip the throttle and tap down through the gears. But just have your hand on the clutch ready to give it a little squeeze if your timing isn't right or you hit a false neutral.

Wouldn't recommend it in either direction when going between first and second gear

also I wouldn't put too much pressure on the lever while waiting to roll off the throttle. Nothing bad will happen but just try get in the habit of not preloading the lever. If you're preloading there's the chance it could pop into the next gear before you roll off due to road conditions. move your foot up under the lever and just give positive pressure up as you roll off the throttle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭MunchkinKid

Another first timer with a common question here. Doing my motorcycle theory test next week. Don't have a car driving license.
    I'm a 24 year old female but a complete beginner on motorbikes. Would you still recommend going for the straight A category license and IBT or is this very over-ambitious? I realise I can go for a lower category bike after the IBT but is it even worth doing the IBT for a first-timer on a powerful bike?
    Thanks in advance

Advertisement