Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options
1117118119120121123»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Yeh, it's disturbing. It's also disturbing how they're not concerned that those types of comments might effect their business.

*if true...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's posted in their name. If they allow it to stand, they are endorsing it.

Life ain't always empty.

Hey lads.

After spending over 20 years (since I was a kid) wanting to be on a motorcycle 🏍️ it’s about time to move forward with it I think. Basically I’ve convinced the Mrs I won’t be killed. 🤣

Im 28 so can go for any licence category I am pretty sure? I’m just not sure what’s the best place to start in regards to learning the basics about the bike I’ll need for theory test and then what’s the best next steps from there? Haven’t a clue about learning to ride a bike but I did recently pass my test for car.

The process there is a lot simpler I think cos it’s the more common vehicle!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

boom your theory test

practice with an app

https://theorytest.ie/learning-app/

pass theory test

do ibt

buy bike

Lovely.

I have the theory test app should be a handy enough pass after doing the car test recently (full driving test but studied the theory again).

will do some practice on the app to get familiar with the motorcycle specific questions although like the rest of the theory test it’s basically common sense for the most part. 🤣

what’s the average cost of IBT generally also? Just don’t want to get ripped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭muddle84

I paid €600 2 years ago in the west for the IBT. I've seen people put up quotes here ranging from €600 to €700 depending on where you are in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I found there's a few curveballs in there. Like questions about blood alcohol limits, max fines for certain offences, age groups most likely to die in alcohol related crashes. Different to when I just applied for a provisional and passed a test four months later, when I started driving a car. 😂

Yeah the overall test is easy enough to be fair. They do throw some questions that would get you a bit stuck especially if memorising stats isn’t your thing.

I found though the tricky ones were when they’d ask the same question but a different way and you could easily get tripped up if you didn’t read it well.

For example they ask

What should a driver do when an emergency vehicle with flashing blue lights and sirens approaches?

AND

What should a driver never do etc etc

But it’s not highlighted or anything so if you don’t read the question throughly you can get caught out!

I'm working through the questions when I get spare time at work, and screenshotting any of the tricky ones. Once I'm happy enough, then I'll go ahead and book the theory test. Then sort the IBT after that. Still haven't got 100% permission from my other half, but going ahead anyway.

Forgiveness is more easily secured than permission

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

I just keep dropping hints, and I won't mention more about the provisional test or IBT until after I've done them.

When I read this thread I’m reminded of how lucky I was. My mrs BOUGHT my first bike without me knowing about it or even having the ibt booked!!

Maybe she was trying to bump you off 😉

Life ain't always empty.

Oh I’ve no doubt that’s her aim. But I’m having my fun and that’s all that matters

• Registered Users Posts: 20 FurrySlippers

I've the Learner permit now, and the IBT booked for late summer. Herself is totally OK with it, because I drive like a pensioner, and it's my midlife crisis.

Rode dirt bikes and 125's over 30 years ago, (the past is a foreign country, and all that).

Hopefully I'll enjoy it, and it will be handy as the kids get their (car) licences and the car goes AWOL...

No interest in speed. Or anything sporty . But want to do "A" licence. Don't see advantage/ point in doing A2.

Or is a bike restricted to A2 easier to insure as a learner?

No. There is no restriction that I’m aware of, apart from age of rider and affordability

I had an A provisional, drove a not quite A bike (deauville) and hired an A for the test.

How fussy are they about the "A" designation? Needs to be over a certain weight, 600cc, and 50kw? Deauville is just a bit low on power on 700cc version?

Would a tester say nope if you were a KW or two short...?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

It's a black and white thing, it's an A bike or ot isn't. Your instructor will definitely rent you back bike for the test. I did mine on the instructors MT07. Inhad a CBR600 but didn't fancy a leaning forward bike for the test

Thanks for the advice.

So, has you done the test in the "not quite A" Deauville, you would have got a A2 licence, and still need a Learner permit for your bike, because it exceeds the A2 criteria?

I assume it would have been an A2 licence

there was a list of all bikes on the RSA website and what class they are. I can’t find it now but that’s where you want to be looking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement