Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

1. I have a full car license for 13 years. When I apply for the learner permit on the motorbike do I forfeit my current card and receive a new one with both full car and learner permit A on it? Or will I still have one card with full car license and another separate card with learner permit?

Nope. You will have one license and one learner permit.
    2. Can I get learner permit A and then in the interim 6 months opt to sit the test to a lower level ?

I don't understand the question. You must wait 6 months from getting your learner permit (any bike category) until you can sit your test (on any bike category).

Once the 6 months has passed, you can decide to sit the A test or a lower category test.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PimpedJumper

MrBlack93 wrote: »
    Now that I've got the theory test the next thing I've to think about is the ibt.

Has anyone any recommendations with who do the ipt training ?

Feel free to PM :)

Hey! Have my theory test in 2 weeks so looking around for decent IBT instructors as well. Any luck finding some recommendations?

Notice most IBT courses seem to be around €480 to €550.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

MrBlack93 wrote: »
    Now that I've got the theory test the next thing I've to think about is the ibt.

Has anyone any recommendations with who do the ipt training ?

Feel free to PM :)

Hey! Have my theory test in 2 weeks so looking around for decent IBT instructors as well. Any luck finding some recommendations?
    Where are you looking to do the BIT?

Cian_ok wrote: »

Anywhere around Dublin really, would travel to Meath or Kildare if I got a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

Cian_ok wrote: »

Anywhere around Dublin really, would travel to Meath or Kildare if I got a good deal.

This it the official list of trainers.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/Initial-basic-training-IBT-for-motorcyclists/Find-an-IBT-Instructor/

I want to Aaron training in finglas for IBT and pre-test training and they were brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

I have a B licence since 1998 ish and had a provisional licence for <= 125 on it for a good few years ( was it an A1?) At some point prbally bout 8 years ago for whatever reason ( I think I had to pay a tenner extra) it dissap eared off my licence. I just have the moped on it now.
    I would like to include a provisional <= 125 or even a provisional >125 (learner permits) now. As I would like to go riding, but don't want to do a theory test or IBT or a driving test. Is this possible? Or what's going on. I went to a licence cing office last year and was told they had no record of me having a provisional <=125 so had little faith in the person dealing with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

lalababa wrote: »
    I have a B licence since 1998 ish and had a provisional licence for <= 125 on it for a good few years ( was it an A1?) At some point prbally bout 8 years ago for whatever reason ( I think I had to pay a tenner extra) it dissap eared off my licence. I just have the moped on it now.
    I would like to include a provisional <= 125 or even a provisional >125 (learner permits) now. As I would like to go riding, but don't want to do a theory test or IBT or a driving test. Is this possible? Or what's going on. I went to a licence cing office last year and was told they had no record of me having a provisional <=125 so had little faith in the person dealing with me.

Your 'full entitlements' entitlements that you would have earned for passing the B test in 1998 are B, AM and W (these days you don't get AM any more, just B and W).

I suspect that your 'provisional' for A1 was under a different driver number - this shouldn't have happened as your driver number should be like your PPS number, a one-per-person type situation but it but often did happen. If you go to the NDLS today, they would merge these two records and square your records but this won't help you with you question.

If you're sure the timeline is as you presented it here, then you're out of luck, I regret. Learner entitlements (regardless of how far back they reach) are non-renewable after they have been expired for five years or more - this is the only factor that matters.

If you want to ride any bikes bigger than scooters today, you will need to complete the motorcycle theory test, apply for the permit and complete IBT (bearing in mind that you would need to refresh your IBT training after 2 years if you have not passed the test). Yes, this is a lot more onerous than it used to be and no, there is no way around it.

In fact, I always tell people in your position, if you really want to get back on bikes, you may as well go whole hog and go for category 'A'. Firstly, it's practically the same process and expense (you can always borrow your instructor's 'cat A' bike for the test; you can buy a 125 for your own usage- it makes no difference as long as you pass on someone's 'cat A' bike) and secondly because unlike in the past (because you're over 24), you can ride any bike you can get insurance on so once you pass the test, you no longer have to wait two years to ride full power bikes - you're on full unrestricted bikes from the start.

The only possibility is if you went for the theory test after 2001 for the bike categories you probably wouldn't have to repeat the theory test today. If your A1 provisionals went back into the 90s, you're buggered there too, I regret.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

Hi, sorry I haven’t read throuhh all the stickies.

I’m interested in learning how to drive a motorbike and live close to the border. I’m wondering is it easier to follow the UK learning method and do my test up north, then convert my licence, or do it all here in the republic? All answers much appreciated! :)

Shelga wrote: »
    Hi, sorry I haven’t read throuhh all the stickies.

I’m interested in learning how to drive a motorbike and live close to the border. I’m wondering is it easier to follow the UK learning method and do my test up north, then convert my licence, or do it all here in the republic? All answers much appreciated! :)

You would need a UK address (ie be resident in the UK) in order to qualify for a provisional licence. There may be other bureaucratic hurdles in terms of faking UK residency - for example you need a public services card here in order to take a theory test.

Having had a look at the UK regime quickly, it seems that the regime is much the same, tbh which makes sense because a lot of EU countries harmonised their rules in 2013 including the UK and Ireland. I doubt there would be an advantage in doing it in the North (assuming you could make it happen) and then exchanging your NI motorcycle licence to be combined with your Irish entitlements. It might be different for someone who was maybe living in the North for a time.

I say just keep it simple and do it in the republic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a helmet for myself as the one I've been using is causing headaches and is incredibly loud(it's an old Caberg one and it's large size, lining is ragged in it too, and is putting pressure on the forehead sides). I'm based in Galway is there any stores or places that stock helmets so I can try a few on?

Realistically I wanted to buy online but afraid to take the risk of a bad fit, I used a tape measure and I'm around a medium 57. I have my IBT in 12 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Could you make the trip down to Meskells?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,925 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a helmet for myself as the one I've been using is causing headaches and is incredibly loud(it's an old Caberg one and it's large size, lining is ragged in it too, and is putting pressure on the forehead sides). I'm based in Galway is there any stores or places that stock helmets so I can try a few on?

Realistically I wanted to buy online but afraid to take the risk of a bad fit, I used a tape measure and I'm around a medium 57. I have my IBT in 12 days.

If you can at worst, try borrow a lid from somebody to complete the IBT.

I had a shop bought HJC and bought a different model online and ended up with the same problem with fitting as you are currently having. Not worth the hassle unless you try on the exact same model and then buy online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Cheers guys, I never heard of Meskells but I'd not get a chance to get down to it before the IBT, I have a function at home in Monaghan this weekend and gotta leave Friday after work. But it's good to know that it's not too far from me.

I'll chance the IBT instructor he might have one that'll do the job for me for two days.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

The most important thing is to get a lid that fits properly. For that, you need to try one on, or more than one. Some makes fit head shapes better than others, even if it's the right size.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Spear Tackle

Hi Guys and Gals.

I received my Learner Permit in the post today with A1,A2,A categories on the back of it.
    I am 36 years old with full B license for over a decade.

I am wondering why the AM category has not been endorsed on the back of the license? Does A1 supersede this or has there been a mistake in filling in the forms. The girl at the counter told me to tick them all ( and she did the ticking )

I am just worried if i have a change of heart and choose to get a moped i am caught between two stools now with full car license with no moped on it and now bike license with no moped ?

Hi Guys and Gals.

I received my Learner Permit in the post today with A1,A2,A categories on the back of it.
    I am 36 years old with full B license for over a decade.

I am wondering why the AM category has not been endorsed on the back of the license?

I bet you have the full category (or at least the 'full entitlement' for) category AM. Everyone that passed the full B test prior to 2006 earned cat 'W' and 'AM' automatically. After 2006, it was B & W only. But all 3 categories weren't always added to a full licence by the motor tax office. Often, they would just issue category B and ignore the other categories. I think they used to blindly follow what the customer would tick on the application form - if they ticked 'B, that's all they would get.
    I am just worried if i have a change of heart and choose to get a moped i am caught between two stools now with full car license with no moped on it and now bike license with no moped ?

If your full licence doesn't have the 'AM' category on it but you passed your B test before 2006, you basically have the entitlement for AM and you could go the the NDLS tomorrow and have it added for €35.
    Does A1 supersede this or has there been a mistake in filling in the forms.

Yes, each category incorporates every category under it. If your permit had cat 'A' only, it wouldn't affect your ability to get any size bike at all.
    if i have a change of heart and choose to get a moped

My advice is get whatever bike you want but take IBT on and pass the test on your instructor's cat A bike - for you it's the same expense and effort to go through the full regime for a scooter as it is for a superbike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 milkj

The RSA don't have the KTM Duke 390 on their list of A2 compliant bikes, was wondering if I could get some clarification here;

The Duke 390 has a power output of 32 Kw which is grand, but at dry weight it exceeds the power to weight ratio of 0.2 - @149 kg (2018 model), at a full/relatively full tank it would be just under the 0.2 - what do they judge it off, dry or wet weight?

Anyone know of anyone with a Duke 390 on an A2 unrestricted, or would restriction be the case if I wanted it on an A2?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

milkj wrote: »
    The RSA don't have the KTM Duke 390 on their list of A2 compliant bikes, was wondering if I could get some clarification here;

The Duke 390 has a power output of 32 Kw which is grand, but at dry weight it exceeds the power to weight ratio of 0.2 - @149 kg (2018 model), at a full/relatively full tank it would be just under the 0.2 - what do they judge it off, dry or wet weight?

Anyone know of anyone with a Duke 390 on an A2 unrestricted, or would restriction be the case if I wanted it on an A2?

Going by the following website http://a2bikes.co.uk it cannot be ridden on an A2 licence.
    Europe have the same laws so its a good site to use.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

milkj wrote: »

Don't overthink it.
    A2 covers up to 35kw (NO NEED for aftermarket restriction on your bike)

• Advertisement

Finally getting close to buying my bike! Pretty much decided on a Honda CBF 125 to get me going. Haven’t decided whether to go new or second hand. For the sake of €500 - €600 I’m tempted to get a new one. Has anyone any thoughts on colour in terms of safety? Have seen white and red CBF 125s. Thinking red might stand out that bit more...

There are loads of perfectly sound answers to this question but why go for such a small bike?

What I mean to do is inquire as to whether you're a rider that must have a small cc bike or are you going that way because you think you must? The CBF is certainly a fine bike for a 125 but I would recommend a bigger bike for the mixed riding conditions in Ireland if it were possible.

cantdecide wrote: »
    There are loads of perfectly sound answers to this question but why go for such a small bike?

What I mean to do is inquire as to whether you're a rider that must have a small cc bike or are you going that way because you think you must? The CBF is certainly a fine bike for a 125 but I would recommend a bigger bike for the mixed riding conditions in Ireland if it were possible.

Thanks for the response cantdecide... It’s a very valid point. I suppose I’m getting the bike as a commuter, I’ll be crossing the city from the north side to Dun Laoghaire and I thought something nimble and light would be most efficient. I see your point though. Could you recommend something?

For a start, what age are you? if you're over 24, you can get any bike you can get insurance on as a learner permit holder. If you're 18-24, you can get any medium powered bike you can get insurance on.

That's not to say you should get something bigger than you want or need but tbh, for MOST people, a 125 is going to feel pretty weak pretty quickly.

The next question is what bikes do you actually like. Like what would you ride tomorrow if you had a free choice? I could end up making suggestions of bikes you assumed were out of your reach.

cantdecide wrote: »
    For a start, what age are you? if you're over 24, you can get any bike you can get insurance on as a learner permit holder. If you're 18-24, you can get any medium powered bike you can get insurance on.

That's not to say you should get something bigger than you want or need but tbh, for MOST people, a 125 is going to feel pretty weak pretty quickly.

The next question is what bikes do you actually like. Like what would you ride tomorrow if you had a free choice? I could end up making suggestions of bikes you assumed were out of your reach.

I’m 29! Some bikes I like...Suzuki GSX 600, CBR 650, Honda CB 500XA/FA. Main thing turning me off these at the moment is lack of experience and price. Maybe one day!

Well. I think you should forget the 125 given what you're saying. If that's the kind of bike you like and you're the age you are and you're planning to use your bike the way you will, you'll sell it within 3 months. Frankly, there's no reason why you can't get something closer to what you want.

At a budget of roughly €2,500 (my guess based on what the cost of a new CBF125 is), I think you should probably be looking for something more like this:

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/er6n-2008-/18272579

I know you're thinking about new bikes and that seems probably older than you have in mind but realistically, you seem like you need a more substantial bike than you have in mind at the moment. My mate started on a CBF250 at around age 27 and in six months, the bike was gone and he was on a Bandit 650.

As a general approach, what I would (and always do) tell people in your position is that if you have a lip for bikes and want to get on the road, you should pursue category 'A' (unrestricted bikes) in terms of licencing and you can go away and buy and use whatever you want. When it comes to the test, just hire your instructor's cat A bike and walk away with a cat A licence - the main reason doing it this way is it's the same effort and expense as getting a full moped licence without more hassle and expense later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I’m 29! Some bikes I like...Suzuki GSX 600, CBR 650, Honda CB 500XA/FA. Main thing turning me off these at the moment is lack of experience and price. Maybe one day!

There are a lot of great 600cc bikes out there which are great for starting off on, which are considerably better for commuting than a 125 CBF (which is a fine bike in itself).

Bandits, Hornets, SV650, Deauvilles, all make for great commuting bikes. While there is absolutely a lot more oomph in a 600cc bike than a 125, it's not anything crazy and easy to handle.

Plus, insurance prices are pretty much the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

After passing the full license exam on an A bike, is there still a restriction on what motorbikes could be gotten? For example, I've just seen about motorcycles being 'learner legal': https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055691140, but couldn't see any information about this on the RSA website or any other google results, apart from people selling these motorbikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

After passing the full license exam on an A bike, is there still a restriction on what motorbikes could be gotten? For example, I've just seen about motorcycles being 'learner legal': https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055691140, but couldn't see any information about this on the RSA website or any other google results, apart from people selling these motorbikes.

Leaner legal basically refers to people on provisional licences I believe. Once you've passed the test on the full A licence you can get any bike.

Just be prepared for a huge increase in insurance premiums.

• Advertisement

That information is completely out of date and the term 'learner legal' is very very misleading these days. Many 'learners' these days can get literally any bike from the start.

There is no longer a restriction to 33bhp for learners and for 2 years after passing the test. That was all abolished on 2013 when they created the A2 category which is loosely equivalent to the medium power bikes that would have fallen under the 33bhp A-restricted' regime.

These days, if you're over 24 (and therefore entitled to hold a 'category A' learner permit [ie completely unrestricted bikes], you can ride whatever you can get insurance on from the very outset. If you're under 24, you can get up to a 'category A2' (medium power- up to about 47hp) learner permit and choose a bike accordingly.

There's a lot of complexity with bike licences, if you want any specific answers, you would be better off stating your age etc

Advertisement