Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That thread is years out of date.

Once you have your A learner permit and your IBT done on a class A bike, you can ride whatever you want.
    Sonics2k wrote: »
    Leaner legal basically refers to people on provisional licences I believe. Once you've passed the test on the full A licence you can get any bike.

No provisional licences any more, learner permits.

For any class there's no difference between what you can ride on a learner permit and what you can ride on the same class of full licence.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

cantdecide wrote:
    There's a lot of complexity with bike licences, if you want any specific answers, you would be better off stating your age etc

I'm 24 , 25 in December. Would most likely be taking the full license test next year so definitely over 25 by that time. So I'm guessing I can go for the full A license and therefore not have any restrictions. I was just mislead by a colleague in work that had outdated info. He is now just as updated as me thanks to you guys. :D

The plan is to take the IBT on an A bike and rent the instructor's A bike for the test. Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

That thread is years out of date.

Once you have your A learner permit and your IBT done on a class A bike, you can ride whatever you want.

No provisional licences any more, learner permits.

For any class there's no difference between what you can ride on a learner permit and what you can ride on the same class of full licence.

I still get the two mixed up. Damn my old age!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I'm 24 ... so I'm guessing I can go for the full A license and therefore not have any restrictions.

Yes, just make sure you tick cat 'A' on the learner permit form and that you receive it (and any smaller categories - A2, A1, AM - they want to issue you) and you're golden.
    The plan is to take the IBT on an A bike and rent the instructor's A bike for the test. Thanks guys!

That's the best strategy - buy what you want regardless of the category but get that full 'cat A' and be done with it. That's always what I advise people to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

I'm sure this has been asked and answered countless times but I've searched and can't find it.

My motorcycle LP expired in 2012/13 and looking to get it renewed again. Am I correct in saying that I basically have to start again, i.e. new theory test, CBT etc before going for my test?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If it's expired more than five years you need to start again.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭otterj

I did my theory test for the car in 2009 and have a full car licence, do I need to do a theory test for the motorcycle ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭honda boi

otterj wrote: »
    I did my theory test for the car in 2009 and have a full car licence, do I need to do a theory test for the motorcycle ?

My missus did her car theory test in 2010 and she now has to do her motorbike theory test,so I'd say you'll have to do a theory test unless the bike and car was one in 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭honda boi

Quick question.
    My 2nd learner permit expired in 2016. I failed the driving test in 2015.
    I went to go renew it and see it says "failed driving test in 2 years".
    Anyone know if they,d accept my fail from 2015 as my licence expired since 2016 or do I need to book a test before I get a learner permit?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

honda boi wrote: »
    Quick question.
    My 2nd learner permit expired in 2016. I failed the driving test in 2015.
    I went to go renew it and see it says "failed driving test in 2 years".
    Anyone know if they,d accept my fail from 2015 as my licence expired since 2016 or do I need to book a test before I get a learner permit?

Apply for a new test, print out the receipt and go to ndls with it for your 3rd permit (993)

otterj wrote: »

YES, because the combined car/bike theory test ended 2006. Since then they are separate Theory tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Just had a call with the NDLS there.

My story is that I was riding bikes in British Columbia and had a full licence over there for a few years. The class 6 (full bike licence in BC) isn't a direct swap, so I only got an A1 and Am, but I do have a theory test on record so I was able to apply directly for my A there and then.

When I did that, the lady helping me said I would be entitled to an exemption to the 6 month waiting period to sit the road test, the instructor at my IBT also said the same.

I called them today and they said no dice on that, and I would have to wait for the full 6 months as the licence I had in BC isn't recognised at all here.

Its a long shot, but does anyone have similar experience with that? Would it be worth calling them again to see if I get a different answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Gintonious wrote: »
    Just had a call with the NDLS there.

My story is that I was riding bikes in British Columbia and had a full licence over there for a few years. The class 6 (full bike licence in BC) isn't a direct swap, so I only got an A1 and Am, but I do have a theory test on record so I was able to apply directly for my A there and then.

When I did that, the lady helping me said I would be entitled to an exemption to the 6 month waiting period to sit the road test, the instructor at my IBT also said the same.

I called them today and they said no dice on that, and I would have to wait for the full 6 months as the licence I had in BC isn't recognised at all here.

Its a long shot, but does anyone have similar experience with that? Would it be worth calling them again to see if I get a different answer?

The information you got first time about the A1 and am is correct (it is listed under British columbia on the ndls website), so you are entitled to them on a full licence. RSA themselves are usually more knowledgeable than that Abtran helpine which has a high staff turnover tel. 1890 49 60 40. If you already have a full licence in the class (I.e bikes) 6 month wait will not be needed. However IBT training is still a requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Williamjg

Hi all
    I’m about to turn 16 and want to get a 125cc bike for getting around the place and for a bit of fun. Is this a good idea and is it generally safe
    I’m looking at a Yamaha yzf 125r and want to know how much money would I need in total (getting license ,training ,bike,helmet and protective gear,insurance. etc)
    And I would also like if ye could give me any tips on how to convince my parents to let me get one
    Thanks for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

For safety you need to develop anticipation and awareness, and that only comes from thousands of hours on the road.

So when my kid(s) eventually ask for motorbikes I'll strongly encourage them to start with bicycles and cars for a few years. When you crash a car or bicycle it doesn't usually lead to life changing injuries.

I'm sure there are people who've never crashed anything but I'm not one of them. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Williamjg wrote: »
    Hi all
    I’m about to turn 16 and want to get a 125cc bike for getting around the place and for a bit of fun. Is this a good idea and is it generally safe
    I’m looking at a Yamaha yzf 125r and want to know how much money would I need in total (getting license ,training ,bike,helmet and protective gear,insurance. etc)
    And I would also like if ye could give me any tips on how to convince my parents to let me get one
    Thanks for any help

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to get permission ...

Like many, at the time I just got a bike. Then told my parents. But I can understand their worries. Tell them the benefits :
    Not stuck on public transport
    Not stuck in a car on a hot day like today
    Easier and cheaper to get around

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

Lumen wrote: »
    For safety you need to develop anticipation and awareness, and that only comes from thousands of hours on the road.

So when my kid(s) eventually ask for motorbikes I'll strongly encourage them to start with bicycles and cars for a few years.

This rings true for me. I drove a car for years before getting the bike and it taught me "roadcraft". A mix of just knowing the rollers of the road, but more than that, understanding drivers, reading the tiny signals that a car is about to do something stupid - change lanes, break a red light, stop suddenly.
    I would have found biking a lot more difficult without that.
    If you are not out on a push bike regularly then get out on the roads and clock up as many km as possible. Learn the rules of the road - and obey them. Learn to read cars. 😀

Williamjg wrote: »
    Hi all
    Thanks for any help
    =====================================
    Best of luck in trying to get insurance on the Baby R1.
    If you want to convince your parents, think of a more sensible starting out bike for a 16 yr old. Convince them that you are a sensible lad, telling them that you will complete IBT first , which will teach you all you need to know BEFORE getting a bike and going on the road.
    1 : Get a Public services card.
    2 : Book Theory test. Pass it.
    3 :Apply for category A1 (max for 16 yr old).
    4 : IBT
    5: You are now in a better position to be able to decide what bike would be more suitable for you, also better informed about Helmet, gear, insurance, etc.
    Most importantly, you will be better able to stay safe on a bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

May not be suitable for A test as they are a detuned sv650 engine which is only just above 50KW...

they are a detuned version of that engine so potentially <50kW is what I'm saying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

I think they are only 49kw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 aaronjsmyth

Hi All,

I’m a 35 year old looking towards booking an IBT course for AM/A1 license categories but just have a couple of questions (excuse my ignorance but completely new to this).

I've read through the initial posts here, all great stuff but i didnt spot this (im sure its been covered before but its a huge thread :) so apologies for bringing something up thats probably covered regularly!)

1. I recently passed my theory test – AM Motorcycles/Mopeds. My understanding is that this is the only theory test category for motorcycles (i.e. there is no specific theory test for A1/A2 etc) is that correct? When booking AM seems to be the only one.

2. I have also booked my NDLS appointment for Aug 1st (their next availability)for my learner permit. I am looking to get a 125cc Bike – do I need to specifically request an A1 learner permit? Or there is just a general learner permit?I’m a little confused by this.
    When I look at license categories I see AM as moped – but AM was the only theory test category? Your guidance would be welcome here.

I am looking at doing the IBT course with irishmotorcycletraining.com since i live in the city centre but am just slightly unsure about how to make sure i have the correct learner license category for a 125CC bike (A1).

Any help is welcome,
    Aaron

Get the A permit and do your ibt on an A bike

This will allow you to ride anything including a 125cc bike if you so wish.

125cc is too small to be safe on our roads unless it is purely for urban commuting

There is only one theory test for bikes

Do not get an a1 or a2 license at 35 years old. There is no reason to they are progression categories for 16 to 18 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 aaronjsmyth

Hi FrozenFrozen,

Thank you for the reply and advice it's really appreciated.

I think initially i'm looking at it for urban commuting - my idea was around getting comfortable on a 125cc and then moving up. In saying that obviously i don't intend to get a bike until after the IBT course so what you say makes sense - do the course on an A category bike and i can assess how comfortable i am and what i want to purchase.

Just a follow on question - so it's literally a case that when i go to the NDLS centre i tell them directly which category i require on my permit?

Cheers,
    Aaron

• Advertisement

Hi FrozenFrozen,

Thank you for the reply and advice it's really appreciated.

I think initially i'm looking at it for urban commuting - my idea was around getting comfortable on a 125cc and then moving up. In saying that obviously i don't intend to get a bike until after the IBT course so what you say makes sense - do the course on an A category bike and i can assess how comfortable i am and what i want to purchase.

Just a follow on question - so it's literally a case that when i go to the NDLS centre i tell them directly which category i require on my permit?

Cheers,
    Aaron

Hi Aaron yep you have it right, show up with all necessary bits, theory test, maybe eye test! And then fill out the form before you go into the booth so arrive a bit early to pick up a form and fill it out. You tick the box for the A category and they will take your picture and signature and take your money and then you'll get the permit in the post

Advertisement