Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Another first timer with a common question here. Doing my motorcycle theory test next week. Don't have a car driving license.
    I'm a 24 year old female but a complete beginner on motorbikes. Would you still recommend going for the straight A category license and IBT or is this very over-ambitious? I realise I can go for a lower category bike after the IBT but is it even worth doing the IBT for a first-timer on a powerful bike?
    Thanks in advance

absolutely do the A license, they'll teach you on a smaller bike for the first few minutes and then you'll want to jump on the big bike (and you'll be ready for it...)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭MunchkinKid

Thanks frozen.
    I suppose it's just the wariness of being a complete beginner and out of my depth but I'm sure they won't progress me onwards if they are not happy with progress.
    Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

Thanks frozen.
    I suppose it's just the wariness of being a complete beginner and out of my depth but I'm sure they won't progress me onwards if they are not happy with progress.
    Cheers!

You'll be fine. I was similar to you (I had a car license though) and I was so nervous about bikes.

I got started an a small light 125, and was on a 250 15 minutes later. They kept me there till they were sure I could handle a 400, and the same before I went to my bike (a 600). Haven't ridden anything more powerful than a 650 yet.

My advice, go full A, and have fun. Let us know how you're getting on. People here are good for answering questions. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭MunchkinKid

kiddums wrote: »
    You'll be fine. I was similar to you (I had a car license though) and I was so nervous about bikes.

I got started an a small light 125, and was on a 250 15 minutes later. They kept me there till they were sure I could handle a 400, and the same before I went to my bike (a 600). Haven't ridden anything more powerful than a 650 yet.

My advice, go full A, and have fun. Let us know how you're getting on. People here are good for answering questions. :)

Thanks so much for the reassurance! I will apply for the full A and go from there. Will keep you updated on my progress and probably with more questions as I go along. People are very helpful here I must say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,287 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

When I want to change up, I preload the lever with my left foot, roll off the throttle and then pull the clutch lever. However, as soon as the throttle rolls off, the change happens and the clutch use becomes redundant.

Is that working as designed?

Yeah. Clutchless upchanges are fine and don't do any harm to the gearbox. Not between 1st and 2nd though, and you need to be accelerating a decent amount for it to be smooth. If you try to change up at a steady road speed it'll clunk in.

Also helps if you don't have way too much chain slack, or a knackered cush drive.

Saw a Bandit parked outside my local Lidl the other week, should've taken a picture of it. Bandiest (see what I did there) drive chain I've ever seen, practically rubbing off the centre stand. Don't know how it would stay on the sprockets like that.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Yeah. Clutchless upchanges are fine and don't do any harm to the gearbox. Not between 1st and 2nd though, and you need to be accelerating a decent amount for it to be smooth. If you try to change up at a steady road speed it'll clunk in.
    Yeah, there is a noticeable "clunk" when moving from 1st to 2nd. Today I was revving her more and it seemed to help. Moving to a bike after driving a car, it takes time to get used to the extra rpm capability.

Don't try to make a clutchless change between 1st and 2nd, it'll either clunk or hit neutral.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Don't try to make a clutchless change between 1st and 2nd, it'll either clunk or hit neutral.
    I think I've already done that once. :o Was stopped at a light controlled crossroads. Second in line. Indicating left. Light goes green, I'm already in first and I take off slowly. Left foot up. All going perfectly so far. Before I start to make the turn, I decide to change up to second. Not saying I did what you described above, but whatever happened, I'm now making a turn with no power whatsoever, like a child that's just had the stabilisers taken off their bike for the first time. Realised what had happened quite quickly, but I was too involved with keeping the bike turning and not falling over to do anything about it straight away.

Anyway, got her back into gear and sped off quickly. At least the helmet covers my embarrassed face. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Anyway, got her back into gear and sped off quickly. At least the helmet covers my embarrassed face. :pac:
    but nothing like a big over-rev to attract attention! Been there, done that. :o

That's one of the reasons it's a good idea to be planning ahead and be in the right gear for the junction / turn / bend in good time, you're unlikely to make a balls of an upchange when accelerating out of a hazard but it's easy enough to mess up a downchange on the way into one, especially if you have to slow down more than you expected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Complete novice here and just got my learner permit. I'm looking to try out a moped on holidays and then if I like it, go ahead with the ibt etc.

The only worry is I have no experience with a moped so I'm not sure if I can just hop on and go :/ looking for some ideas on how I could get a bit of experience in first?

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Complete novice here and just got my learner permit. I'm looking to try out a moped on holidays and then if I like it, go ahead with the ibt etc.

The only worry is I have no experience with a moped so I'm not sure if I can just hop on and go :/ looking for some ideas on how I could get a bit of experience in first?
    I don't think you can here legally. Not on open road anyway. You need a valid learner permit and IBT cert. Unless you know someone with some private land, a long driveway or something like that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

looking for some ideas on how I could get a bit of experience in first?

IBT is designed to be your start, from scratch. It's just "Initial Basic Training". So, designed for someone who has never sat on a bike before.

When I did my IBT, I'd never been on a bike before, and was guided through everything to get me out on the road.

Do the IBT first, and then you will have the experience and confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I'm looking to try out a moped on holidays and then if I like it, go ahead with the ibt etc.

I'd advise against that one. Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Foreign roads, no experience and motorcycle in the same sentence.

Just do the IBT, it's a few quid, it's all controlled and for the most part safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been covered before...

I'm planning on buying a 650 Burgman for my daly commute. I'm a good bit passed 24, so am able to go for a full cat A license. Is the Burgman suitable to do the IBT and test on? I've no interest in riding a "proper" bike after doing the test. Is it like the car license where you can be restricted to driving autos? Or does the test have to be done on a bike with manual gears.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Gwildor wrote: »
    Hi all,

Apologies if this has been covered before...

I'm planning on buying a 650 Burgman for my daly commute. I'm a good bit passed 24, so am able to go for a full cat A license. Is the Burgman suitable to do the IBT and test on? I've no interest in riding a "proper" bike after doing the test. Is it like the car license where you can be restricted to driving autos? Or does the test have to be done on a bike with manual gears.

Thanks in advance

I know that you have in mind a shape to the way you want things but I would encourage you to hold your horses and take on board the following as it is the same advice I give to every potential noob.

Assuming you're starting on bikes for the first time, you will pay virtually the same price for theory test, IBT, bike, gear, maintenance, taking the test and so on regardless of whether you're going for a permit and licence for a Honda 50 or a Honda Blackbird and the skill set is virtually the same.

Seeing as you can take IBT on a school bike, I suggest just diving into the process, take IBT on a school bike with gears - if you can drive a manual car, you can driver a manual bike. Buy whatever bike you like and when it comes time to take your test, borrow a school bike for the test. My instructor didn't even charge for me the lend in the end. At least that way, you're done and done forever and if you do get a lip for bikes, you can indulge and if you do stick to your plan, you're no worse off with little additional effort employed having gone 'whole hog'.

To answer your specific question- if you pass your test on a Burgmann, you will end up with a full A2 licence (to the best of my knowledge) and it will have the '78' notation against the category denoting that you are restricted to riding bikes with an automatic transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Trigger76

Quick note to say thanks to everyone that's contributed to this thread it really helped me ;-).

I started from scratch roughly 10 weeks ago and didn't even have a social services card needed to go do the theory test but finished my IBT today (A Learner Permit) This thread and some advice on other threads really helped so nice one lads.

Did my IBT with Tony Agnew in Ballymount, couldn't recommend Tony enough, a brilliant instructor, very detailed and attentive to whats going on with you and your head ..... be warned he asks lots of questions hahah, when he instructs or corrects you, you'll be very clear on exactly what and why. Also helps that he's a genuinely sound fella to get along with as well.

Anyway thanks all and best of luck fellow newbs, I'll try pay it back and forward .... what goes round comes round etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭dizzymenace

I have an A2 learner permit, what bike should i get. I'm 6 foot 1 inch and am told I'm too tall for most small bikes bu the veradero 125 seems ideal, I also considered a cbr250 and a gs500. Any thoughts appreciated. Mainly for leisure, I want a comfy ride and not worried about speed as long as i can comfortably reach the speed limits. Ideally around 2,000e but qould be okay going to 2,500e. Any thoughts appreciated, thanks.

I have an A2 learner permit, what bike should i get. I'm 6 foot 1 inch and am told I'm too tall for most small bikes bu the veradero 125 seems ideal, I also considered a cbr250 and a gs500. Any thoughts appreciated. Mainly for leisure, I want a comfy ride and not worried about speed as long as i can comfortably reach the speed limits. Ideally around 2,000e but qould be okay going to 2,500e. Any thoughts appreciated, thanks.

Have a look here. You can enter your height and set some other personal details and then select a bike so it allows you to model how you should fit...

Hi folks,

I got a A learner permit 3 years ago and completed the IBT and received the cert, however I never went ahead with getting a bike.

I'm considering getting back to it and getting a bike, my learner permit is expired by a year and I'm not sure about the IBT cert. Can i simply apply for a second learner permit? Do I need to do the IBT or part of it again?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

You just need to renew your permit in category A. A learner permit has to be expired for 5 or more years before you need to start over in that category. No IBT necessary.

Ibt expires after 2 years I think

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

Hi guys/girls.

I'm planing on getting motorbike licence but i'm a little bit confused and RSA site wasn't helpfull.
    I'm nearly 40yo never been on a motorbike before. Question which bothers me is :
    if i go for A licence is there a special requirement for the bike to be "learner legal"?
    nothing found on RSA site, but some internet forum threads i found were stating 35Kw max or 250cc max. Is this for certain categories like A1 or applies to all learners?
    I'm thinking about getting second hand v-storm 650 and driving it on learner permit (i'm 6.1ft 18stone and wanted "touring" kind of bike for less than 3k).
    I just don't want to get in trouble of buying all the gear and doing courses to find out that i'm fairly limited in my choice of bikes.

Just looking at my own certificate:
    This Certificate of Satisfactory Completion of IBT ceases to be valid after two years from the date of issue.

MarcinG wrote: »
    Hi guys/girls.

I'm planing on getting motorbike licence but i'm a little bit confused and RSA site wasn't helpfull.
    I'm nearly 40yo never been on a motorbike before. Question which bothers me is :
    if i go for A licence is there a special requirement for the bike to be "learner legal"?
    nothing found on RSA site, but some internet forum threads i found were stating 35Kw max or 250cc max. Is this for certain categories like A1 or applies to all learners?
    I'm thinking about getting second hand v-storm 650 and driving it on learner permit (i'm 6.1ft 18stone and wanted "touring" kind of bike for less than 3k).
    I just don't want to get in trouble of buying all the gear and doing courses to find out that i'm fairly limited in my choice of bikes.

you can ride anything on your A that you can get insured on, but it will have to be over 595cc and over 50kW for you to be able to use it to pass your A test

do your IBT before buying a bike or gear, you can buy your own helmet but borrow the rest from IBT

Looking at RSA.ie
    Can my certificate go out of date?

Yes, if your Learner Permit has lapsed for five or more years you will have to
    • redo the Theory Test*
    • take out a Learner Permit* and
    • retake IBT*
    *In Addition: certificates issued on or after 19th January 2013 will expire after two years from the date they were issued and in order to obtain a new valid certificate within 5 years you will be required to repeat the practical elements of training again. If the period exceeds 5 years you will be required to complete the entire IBT course again.

Am i right in thinking i would just have to do Module 5?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103373370&postcount=12

that looks like you are right, just module 5, I didn't know that before so that's good to know

you can ride anything on your A that you can get insured on, but it will have to be over 595cc and over 50kW for you to be able to use it to pass your A test

do your IBT before buying a bike or gear, you can buy your own helmet but borrow the rest from IBT

My understanding was there is a certain size(power/engine size) of bike you can not exceed in order to be able to drive it under L licence. But i only found some vague mentions in internet threads and no hard rules.
    I have no intention to go straight for exam (unless one can hold Irish driving A licence without getting rid of existing EU B licence -i have permanent eu licence not sure if i ever want to part with it).I want to drive around on L and see if i like it at all. I want to buy vstorm 650 as cheap learner bike (most of touring bikes in kinds of bmw gs, nc750x, africa twin etc are either fitted with too big engine for start or are relatively new therefore expensive. Vstorm is 48KW which i think is plenty for start - if i like it and decide to stick with motorcycles i could buy another bike (most of friends tell me i will be willing to swap it anyway soon enough).
    I can hardly believe that IBT will have gear in my size (i'm in 4XL-6XL range and spent 5 hours last weekend trying to find ANY set to suit me in couple of shops...). Is any kind of gear (apart from helmet) mandatory for IBT/road use?

MarcinG wrote: »
    My understanding was there is a certain size(power/engine size) of bike you can not exceed in order to be able to drive it under L licence. But i only found some vague mentions in internet threads and no hard rules.
    I have no intention to go straight for exam (unless one can hold Irish driving A licence without getting rid of existing EU B licence -i have permanent eu licence not sure if i ever want to part with it).I want to drive around on L and see if i like it at all. I want to buy vstorm 650 as cheap learner bike (most of touring bikes in kinds of bmw gs, nc750x, africa twin etc are either fitted with too big engine for start or are relatively new therefore expensive. Vstorm is 48KW which i think is plenty for start - if i like it and decide to stick with motorcycles i could buy another bike (most of friends tell me i will be willing to swap it anyway soon enough).
    I can hardly believe that IBT will have gear in my size (i'm in 4XL-6XL range and spent 5 hours last weekend trying to find ANY set to suit me in couple of shops...). Is any kind of gear (apart from helmet) mandatory for IBT/road use?

No your understanding is wrong if you're on the learner A you can ride any power bike, there is no power restriction of any kind. (After you have fully completed your IBT)

no gear other than the helmet is mandatory, individual IBT instructors may insist on more gear.

6 foot 1 and 18 stone is not unheard of, there is definitely gear out there for you

You will only be able to ride on the permit for 2 years before your IBT will expire so you will have to do the test at some point

you can get any bike you want (which you can get insured on) but to pass your full test it needs to be over 595cc, over 50kW in power. You can rent a bike for the test.

• Advertisement

i probably looked up some OLD posts or maybe they were referring to person of certain age or something. Thank you.

Advertisement