Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

6 months from when you got the permit

Actually, this only applies to your first ever full licence. Having an existing full B means you can take the bike test as soon as you can get a date.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

cantdecide wrote: »
    Actually, this only applies to your first ever full licence. Having an existing full B means you can take the bike test as soon as you can get a date.

Not true. Having a full license in another category means you don't need to wear an N vest when you pass the test, but the six month wait is still there. It is actually written on the back of the learner permit. Code 991 will be beside your bike category, which means "Holders of Learner Permits in categories A1, A2, AM, A, W and B must wait for 6 months before taking the driving test".

If 991 is there, you must wait 6 months.

https://www.ndls.ie/licence-categories.html

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

In terms of bike to do test on, is the RSA list (below) the only bikes you can do the test on?
    If a bike is not listed, but meets the A criteria does that mean it's valid to do test on, or not?

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/Driving-Test-Vehicles---Motorcycles/

Their list is a guide and recommendation. If your bike meets the requirements then you are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Great stuff, thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Doing my IBT for A later this month and then looking to buy the kit and bike right after. My first bike is likely to be a 600 Fazer or Hornet. I've been looking at Adverts and Donedeal, which is fine for checking prices, but I'd like to visit a shop and actually sit on a bike or two. If the prices aren't significantly higher than found online, would be willing to buy from a shop too.

Any recommendations on a bricks and mortar shop with a decent selection of used bikes to try for size?

Any recommendations on a bricks and mortar shop with a decent selection of used bikes to try for size?

Your location may help. Dublin has a few bike shops. Bikeworld, mega bikes might be worth looking at.

Paulw wrote: »
    Your location may help. Dublin has a few bike shops. Bikeworld, mega bikes might be worth looking at.
    D'Oh!

North County Dublin, but willing to travel to achieve the objective.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

Hi All!
    I got my learner permit in May 14 and I only realised last year it expired in 2016.
    What must I do to get it restored / renewed.
    I've tried getting this info online but I'm going around in circles.
    Any info is appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

D'Oh!

North County Dublin, but willing to travel to achieve the objective.

Crossans in Newry.
    RPM in Hill Of Rath,Drogheda
    Cotters in Ballymount
    Bikeworld on Long Mile Road
    MegaBikes on Wexford Street.

Cotters or Crossans would my 2 choices,if it were me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

LadyTBolt wrote: »
    Hi All!
    I got my learner permit in May 14 and I only realised last year it expired in 2016.
    What must I do to get it restored / renewed.
    I've tried getting this info online but I'm going around in circles.
    Any info is appreciated!
    You can ask the NDLS https://www.ndls.ie/contact-form.html or ring the one local to you and they are very good for giving info usually

you can also walk in to any ndls centre without an appointment and queue up

because it's not long expired you will very likely be able to renew it with one of the forms you'd find on the ndls website
    To renew a learner permit you must provide

Application form for learner permit D201 (Fully completed)
    Current/ most recent Learner permit
    Evidence of PPSN if required.
    If you do not have your most recent learner permit you must present a completed lost licence declaration (question 17 on D201) together with valid photographic ID
    If applying for a third or subsequent Learner permit, documentary evidence must be submitted that you have either sat a driving test (statement of driving test outcome dated within two years) or an acknowledgement of a forthcoming test.
    NDLS medical form (dated within 1 month) if required
    Evidence of CPC if required
    If the address has changed since your last learner permit was issued, you must provide evidence of new address.
    Relevant fee €35
    Your Photograph and signature will be captured at the NDLS office.
    taken from here https://www.ndls.ie/how-to-apply/learner-permit.html#renewal-of-a-learner-permit

you can also walk in to any ndls centre without an appointment and queue up
    You can, but I would recommend making an appointment. I made an appointment in January and was out, all done, 13 minutes later. The 5 people queuing when I arrived were all still waiting.

Granted, that was at Clarehall. Your local NDLS centre might be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Toft
    TangoTwit

Hi all, I was biker years ago but I never got my license. I just went from learners permit to learners permit. But I was thinking of getting back into it and thought that I might get my license quicker and a bit cheaper if I get the use of an English address and do my training and test there.

Has anyone tried this? I'm over 40 so I can start back with a bigger bike.
    Would I be able to get the English license recognized, or added to my car license?
    Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Irish system = sane, english system = insane

they have CBT mod 1 mod 2 etc etc essentially multiple tests

here you do IBT and then pass your test and you're done forever

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Toft wrote: »
    Has anyone tried this? I'm over 40 so I can start back with a bigger bike.

100% agree with the above. If you know what you're getting into, I suggest just dive in. There's no benefit in doing in the UK.

I don't know if you know this but since 2013, the rules changed and if you are over 24, as a learner you can go straight to any bike you want (basically, any bike you can get insurance on). No more restrictor kits and all that jazz.

You may have to do the theory test if you've never done it before. You will have to get a learner permit. You'll have to take IBT (which has the added benefit of being the bulk of your pre-test preparation too) and then take the test. You're done forever then.

Did my IBT for A last weekend. Passed.
    Going to buy helmet, gloves, boots, jacket, trousers, etc. this coming weekend. Also look for a bike cover, plus a disc lock, plus a big lock and chain for home. Bike very likely to be a Fazer.

Is there anything else that I need to get before picking up a bike?

Is there anything else that I need to get before picking up a bike?

Insurance. :D Price it in advance, so you know what to expect.

Insurance. :D Price it in advance, so you know what to expect.
    Yes. I did make some calls and get some estimates at the beginning of March, but now I have an actual bike in mind, I'll make some calls in the morning and get a quote.

How do you secure your bike at home? I don't have a garage, so I was thinking of having some rings set into concrete that I could chain the bike to.

From reading here I know that it would be better for me to have a disc lock with a "dope rope" when away from home. :o

Cleaning: Disc cleaner/degreaser. Chain lube. Anything else?

Now have bike and insurance. Will be getting a ground anchor and a chain for it.

Where does one get the necessary L-tabards?

How do you secure your bike at home? I don't have a garage, so I was thinking of having some rings set into concrete that I could chain the bike to.

From reading here I know that it would be better for me to have a disc lock with a "dope rope" when away from home. :o

I got a ground anchor and chain (Almax).

I also got a disc lock with rope. That, and the L-tabard were bought in Bikeworld

You can buy loads and loads of stuff for your bike, but just take it step by step, once you're on the bike.

• Advertisement

I got a ground anchor and chain (Almax).

I also got a disc lock with rope. That, and the L-tabard were bought in Bikeworld

You can buy loads and loads of stuff for your bike, but just take it step by step, once you're on the bike.
    Thanks. Have the bike locked behind a steel gate for now with a disc lock on. The most urgent thing is the tabard, as I'm not road legal without it.

FYI - went with Principal for the insurance.

Two spins in, about 80km, and all going well. Will take her to work tomorrow. See how much the Givi will hold.

Got the L-tabard in Bikeworld yesterday along with a bike cover, then forgot to wear it. :o The cover was too small as well. Changed that today.

Have a tank protector to fit now. Ordered a Kryptonite ground anchor from Chainreactioncycles on Sunday for €56 total. Delivered today. Will deploy that over the weekend. It's a big lump of a thing, the pictures don't show that. Next step is to order a large chain and lock. Will probably go Amazon for that.

Next step is to order a large chain and lock. Will probably go Amazon for that.

Have a look at the Almax website. You will see what chains NOT to buy. I bought an Almax IV chain. That won't be cut with ease.

Have a look at the Almax website. You will see what chains NOT to buy. I bought an Almax IV chain. That won't be cut with ease.
    Was looking at that website. Was thinking a 5' Almax IV with lock might be the way to go.

Anywhere in Dublin or near Dublin to get a Givi E450 Simply repaired? One came with the bike I bought. I detacted it from the bike as I didn't need it for the first couple of rides and now I find that it won't close.

Edit: Found a video that shows how to close the Givi properly. Turns out I was just being daft.

What length of chain do you use? I presume you lock it through the frame. 5'/1.5m doesn't look to go as far as I thought, especially in a loop from the anchor. Thought that I might locate the anchor at a point where it would be at the front or the back of the bike, but it looks like the anchor point needs to be at the side of the bike for the chain to be long enough.

i got a 1.5m chain. It locks the frame of the bike, but doesn't go through the bike. It goes in at the pillion footpeg.

372529032_Vrt9w-XL.jpg

It fits nicely through there. There's a bit of slack, but a 1m chain would be too short.

The length will very much depend on the bike and where you anchor it.

You just posted that to show the BMW marque. :pac:

I'll need to take another look at the driveway and see where best to put this anchor now. Also the bike to see where a chain might go through.

You just posted that to show the BMW marque. :pac:

Not my bike but similar. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Lads let me ask some basic questions please, I'm working on getting a few mates into bikes and I'm not that familiar with all the new rules. So you do the IBT over a weekend and then you can go get a bike - is the max 45bhp? What are some decent bikes that are popular for new bikers?

What's the deal with getting training to go to bigger bikes?

Advertisement