Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

RNS510 sat nav for VW

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

DeniG2 wrote: »
    A few members on this thread have mentioned the Zenec 2010. I bought one recently and am trying to update it, but can't find any info on the internet. I've emailed zenec support but they seem very slow to reply.Their website explains how to update from v10 to v11 but mine is pre v10 and there no info about how to get to v10

any help of suggestions would be very much appreciated

Deni

Www.gpsunderground.com has updates, thats where I get the ones for my RNS.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭DeniG2

thanks for the quick response and link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

DeniG2 wrote: »
    A few members on this thread have mentioned the Zenec 2010. I bought one recently and am trying to update it, but can't find any info on the internet. I've emailed zenec support but they seem very slow to reply.Their website explains how to update from v10 to v11 but mine is pre v10 and there no info about how to get to v10

any help of suggestions would be very much appreciated

Deni

I have an email from the support that walks you through exactly how to do it, it's not obvious at all.

Pm me your email address if you want me to send it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

I have a Bolero in my Octavia at the moment and want to replace it with a RNS 510 Columbus. Anyone know a seller in Ireland? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

EBay is your best bet tbh. Since you have a Bolero already make sure and get an LED model and it should work seamlessly. You might need to get the nav display enabled on the MFD but that's something you can get done easily at a service.

They do pop up on vag drivers or autostadt too though but make sure it's at least a version C LED.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭emo72

hi guys. thinking of getting an rns 510 to replace my basic r300 unit. i have no bluetooth unit at all. anyone know how much it costs to get bluetooth installed?

emo72 wrote: »
    hi guys. thinking of getting an rns 510 to replace my basic r300 unit. i have no bluetooth unit at all. anyone know how much it costs to get bluetooth installed?

The module is about 300 quid which shows the phonbook, texts etc on screen. I would settle for a parrot kit.

Truckermal wrote: »
    The module is about 300 quid which shows the phonbook, texts etc on screen. I would settle for a parrot kit.

Yeah parrot kits are only around 60 euro on halfords. I would be happy to settle.

Yeah parrot kits are only around 60 euro on halfords. I would be happy to settle.

What year is the Passat? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

I added a BT kit to my RNS510 and the parts cost €150 on ebay. I paid someone to fit it for me also. I went this way as I prefer the OEM integration of this module rather than fitting an aftermarket unit.

• Advertisement

What year is the Passat? ?

Nice one as you won't have battery drain issues plus your climatronic adjustments will show up on screen.

Nice one as you won't have battery drain issues plus your climatronic adjustments will show up on screen.

That's great. Now all I have to do is get my hands on one! There is a couple on adverts for sale but getting one at a price I can afford is the issue. Is it worth the extra for the led screen over the LCD screen?

In my opinion no. Mine is LED and my previous one was LCD. The LED is better in bright sunlight and you may not be able to update the firmware to as high a version as the LED one but if money is tight then the LCD should do you fine as long as you get it cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

You may already be aware, but the RNS-315 has BT built into the unit and as such does not require the separate wiring and module under the drivers seat. Not the same as the 510 in fairness but it may be a useful compromise...

That's great. Now all I have to do is get my hands on one! There is a couple on adverts for sale but getting one at a price I can afford is the issue. Is it worth the extra for the led screen over the LCD screen?

A LED version with latest maps is about 600 quid..

Actually, they can be had a little cheaper if you take your time searching. They've released a new version with DAB and that's generating a premium right now - about €1k

Actually, they can be had a little cheaper if you take your time searching. They've released a new version with DAB and that's generating a premium right now - about €1k

I see that which is a mad price considering the lack of stations here.

I see that which is a mad price considering the lack of stations here.

I reckon that price won't lower substantially for a couple of years too.... Not at least until the new MQB Passat is released. That said, the new DAB system has pushed the price down for late-model non-DAB units!.. I paid €700 or so for my 510 18 months ago or so....

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Got my RNS-510 off ebay, from the UK. Think it was a version C. €505 excluding the GPS antenna. So €525 all in. Installed it myself, as did I the RVC. Bluetooth should be a doddle if you find a guide, and have VCDS (or know someone who can code it for you)

Need to look into updating the software and maps though. Job for a long weekend.... ahha!:pac:

• Advertisement

Got my RNS-510 off ebay, from the UK. Think it was a version C. €505 excluding the GPS antenna. So €525 all in. Installed it myself, as did I the RVC. Bluetooth should be a doddle if you find a guide, and have VCDS (or know someone who can code it for you)

Need to look into updating the software and maps though. Job for a long weekend.... ahha!:pac:

Maps are easy to update - a doddle in fact. Firmware not so... You need to be careful and ensure you've the right version for your device - sometimes version C devices are not version C if you know what I mean. VCDS needs to be redone after firmware update. I've not updated firmware as it can be a risk.

Lot of info here....

http://vwnavi.com/forum51.html

And here: need to search....

http://gpsunderground.com/forum/

Maps are easy to update - a doddle in fact. Firmware not so... You need to be careful and ensure you've the right version for your device - sometimes version C devices are not version C if you know what I mean. VCDS needs to be redone after firmware update. I've not updated firmware as it can be a risk.

Lot of info here....

http://vwnavi.com/forum51.html

And here: need to search....

http://gpsunderground.com/forum/

Cool. Cheers. Ive read a bit about it. Unlocking video in motion (burn a DVD) to get your version number, upgrading from the version to a newer one (burn a DVD). Getting the maps for that newer version (burn a DVD). Thats the basics ive picked up.

Need to get my hands on some VCDS though. My cable broke 2 weeks ago. Need some DVDs too

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Folks I have a 2011 CC with what looks like the RNS-310 unit. Maps are obviously 3 years out of date at this stage. Where can I get the latest maps and what way are they uploaded? Read from cd/sd card or can the unit be flashed with the new maps. Nearly sure that unit doesn't read DVDs.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Folks I have a 2011 CC with what looks like the RNS-310 unit. Maps are obviously 3 years out of date at this stage. Where can I get the latest maps and what way are they uploaded? Read from cd/sd card or can the unit be flashed with the new maps. Nearly sure that unit doesn't read DVDs.

315 is a different beast I know nothing about... see link above to vwnavi.com.... they discuss the 315 there....

Cool. Cheers. Ive read a bit about it. Unlocking video in motion (burn a DVD) to get your version number, upgrading from the version to a newer one (burn a DVD). Getting the maps for that newer version (burn a DVD). Thats the basics ive picked up.

Need to get my hands on some VCDS though. My cable broke 2 weeks ago. Need some DVDs too

I actually have the latest maps on a DVD already (note you MUST use a DVD-R DL disk.... MUST!) Only Verbatim work for me. Burned at the lowest speed too.... as in x2 or whatever you drive is... Crappy disks won't work.... So, if near Dublin CC, I can give you the disk I burned..... PM me if suits....

ok. i got something sorted. i got an rcd510, they catch was the cd player was broken. no major drawback because does anyone use discs anymore? installation was a doddle with all the steering wheel controls and aux connections working. loaded up a 4gig memory card with a couple of albums and happy days. it looks great.

happy to settle for this for the moment, i will see if an rns510 comes available for a reasonable price. oh and still no bluetooth, thats a bummer.

ok. i got something sorted. i got an rcd510, they catch was the cd player was broken. no major drawback because does anyone use discs anymore? installation was a doddle with all the steering wheel controls and aux connections working. loaded up a 4gig memory card with a couple of albums and happy days. it looks great.

happy to settle for this for the moment, i will see if an rns510 comes available for a reasonable price. oh and still no bluetooth, thats a bummer.

Hope you didnt pay too much. Sold my rcd510 last year (perfect working condition) for €250.

If you're going bluetooth and planning on upgrading to a RNS510, get one thats compatible with both.

Also, check out DD for damaged/repairable and crashed cars. They might have RNS510s in them, but they usually sell fast.

Or this, decent price:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/caraccessories-for-sale/vw-dvd-rns-510-led/6603833

250 for your RCD510? I thought they were worth shag all so mine is sitting in a box under a bed as I didn't think it was worth selling. Where did you sell it?

Harcrid wrote: »
    250 for your RCD510? I thought they were worth shag all so mine is sitting in a box under a bed as I didn't think it was worth selling. Where did you sell it?

http://www.adverts.ie/car-parts-accessories/touch-screen-radio-rcd-510-vw-passat-golf-scirocco/3127470

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 genesisd602

Anyone any advice on trusted ebay sellers for an RNS510?? Or is there any known seller & installer in Ireland?

Advertisement