Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

RNS510 sat nav for VW

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

All I have inside the armrest is a AUX-IN jack 3.5mm and I currently use that to listen to my iPod through my RCD310. Any idea if i'll still be able to listen to my music this way as I don't have bluetooth (yet).

thanks, you've been been helpful.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

sean1141 wrote: »
    its not mine or anything to do with me. i just spotted it earlier and said i would give you the link to it..

your welcome btw:rolleyes:

Looks like I've offended you somehow. thanks for the link earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

el diablo wrote: »
    All I have inside the armrest is a AUX-IN jack 3.5mm and I currently use that to listen to my iPod through my RCD310. Any idea if i'll still be able to listen to my music this way as I don't have bluetooth (yet).

Yes, you'll be able to do exactly the same thing. But I'd highly recommend having bluetooth installed along with the RNS. The phone integration is absolutely brilliant (plus you get BT audio, as I mentioned in last post).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

Looks like I've offended you somehow. thanks for the link earlier.
    its nice to be thanked when you go out of your way to help someone!;)

if you want tommys number to ring him about it i can get it for you

sean1141 wrote: »
    its nice to be thanked when you go out of your way to help someone!;)

if you want tommys number to ring him about it i can get it for you

Ok, can you PM me his number please. :)

Think I might try get a deal on a RNS-510 and bluetooth module combined though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

dont think its sold anyway. pm sent

Thanks for that Sean but that one is a Version B and I'd be looking for a Version C at least and one with LED display.

I've seen a few Lithuanian sellers on eBay with good feedback ratings selling them at very reasonable prices.
    Anyone have any experience with these sellers?

I know a lot of people will advise to avoid them but some of them have been on eBay for years with close to 100% feedback...

Personally, having researched this to death at the time I purchased, I wouldn't. It's too much cash to take a shot in the dark, but who knows, you may be lucky.

But it's your cash!

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Personally, having researched this to death at the time I purchased, I wouldn't. It's too much cash to take a shot in the dark, but who knows, you may be lucky.

But it's your cash!

I've been an Ebay member for a long time and I'm always very careful who I buy from but I'm very tempted here.

Here are a couple that I'm looking at:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290679981150#ht_2123wt_1270

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-6-Passat-RNS-510-MFD3-Version-C-DVD-GPS-V8-maps-sat-nav-navigation-/320871688591?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_GPSSystems_GPSSystems&hash=item4ab571698f#ht_3425wt_1270

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Thinking of picking up an rns510. Can't see any currently on eBay that also come with Bluetooth. If I picked up one and at a later stage wanted to add Bluetooth can this be done or would there be much trouble doing it. Thinking of fitting the unit myself as a few on this say it's straight forward enough. have a golf mk6.

• Advertisement

Jofspring wrote: »
    Thinking of picking up an rns510. Can't see any currently on eBay that also come with Bluetooth. If I picked up one and at a later stage wanted to add Bluetooth can this be done or would there be much trouble doing it. Thinking of fitting the unit myself as a few on this say it's straight forward enough. have a golf mk6.

The RNS 510 doesn't come with bluetooth but yes, it can be added on at a later stage. It is very simple to install the head unit. It can be done in 15 minutes.

Anyway, I'm looking for someone to install my VW bluetooth and do the VAGCOM/VCDS coding it but I'm not having much luck.

Anyone know of anywhere in the Dublin (preferably) area where I can get it done?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

If you contact this seller on Ebay he should be able to sort you out. He is based in Drogheda. I have used him myself and he was very good.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-RNS-510-SAT-NAV-DVD-PASSAT-GOLF-6-SHIROCCO-/251038159442?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item3a730a5252

Celtxx wrote: »
    If you contact this seller on Ebay he should be able to sort you out. He is based in Drogheda. I have used him myself and he was very good.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-RNS-510-SAT-NAV-DVD-PASSAT-GOLF-6-SHIROCCO-/251038159442?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item3a730a5252

Hmm. I wanted to buy off him (separate from eBay and with cash) but he certainly wasn't doing me any favours with his prices. I found everything at much better prices from UK sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

Hi there,

New to VW. Just got a new Passat and had that chap in Drogheda fit me a new RNS-510 (version H) . Nice chap. We've still got a few bits to sort out but we'll get there. It's not as plug and play as some online sellers would have you believe, by the way.

Anyhow, I just thought I'd ask and see if any of you fellow 510 owners had experienced any issues with TMC. For whatever reason, it does not identify any TMC channels - is it true that RTE is the only one? It's set to automatic in setup and I don't have any other option.

Was just wondering if any of you chaps with either factory or retrofit units get TMC service - in Dublin to be specific.

V.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Hi there,

New to VW. Just got a new Passat and had that chap in Drogheda fit me a new RNS-510. Nice chap. We've still got a few bits to sort out but we'll get there. It's not as plug and play as some online sellers would have you believe, by the way.

Anyhow, I just thought I'd ask and see if any of you fellow 510 owners had experienced any issues with TMC. For whatever reason, it does not identify any TMC channels. It's set to automatic in setup and I don't have any other option.

Was just wondering if any of you chaps with either factory or retrofit units get TMC service - in Dublin to be specific.

V.
    Hi VictorRomeo,

How much did that cost you, if you mind me asking? Would love to put one into the car myself... Have the basic RCD300

Don't think any of the radio stations in the Republic support TMC. My traffic messages are always empty too, but when I took a trip up to Belfast a few months ago it started working as soon as I crossed the border!

I paid a bit over €800 including installation and coding.... it was quite time consuming so he earned his money. I would not have been able to finish the install myself. Physically, it was reasonably handy, but installing the gps antenna and it needed special software to recode for it to fully integrate into the car's systems - the mfd to be specific.

However if you want the next best thing- - without the Nav - I have my RCD510 up for sale on Adverts.... just search for RCD510!

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Don't think any of the radio stations in the Republic support TMC. My traffic messages are always empty too, but when I took a trip up to Belfast a few months ago it started working as soon as I crossed the border!

Interesting about Belfast.... See link. I appreciate it means nothing when it comes to the VW system but TMC as a tech does exist in Dublin anyway and I believe it works with Garmin. The missus is from up that way so when I'm there next, I'll see....

Was yours main dealer or retrofit?

http://www.dublincity.ie/ROADSANDTRAFFIC/TRAFFIC/Pages/TMC(TrafficMessageChannel).aspx

Mine is also a retro fit but I don't think that makes any difference to be honest.

I paid a bit over €800 including installation and coding.... it was quite time consuming so he earned his money. I would not have been able to finish the install myself. Physically, it was reasonably handy, but installing the gps antenna and it needed special software to recode for it to fully integrate into the car's systems - the mfd to be specific.

However if you want the next best thing- - without the Nav - I have my RCD510 up for sale on Adverts.... just search for RCD510!

It's actually a twenty minute install including the GPS antenna. ;) VW bluetooth is also installed on mine and that takes a bit longer though.

Not sure why you claim it's not plug & play.

No TMC shows up on my unit either though.

• Advertisement

It's actually a twenty minute install including the GPS antenna. ;) VW bluetooth is also installed on mine and that takes a bit longer though.

Not sure why you claim it's not plug & play.

What I mean is that while you can physically install it handy enough - and it will broadly work our of the box in fairness - but, to get it fully integrated with all systems like Bluetooth and the MFD (for navigation on it) coding is needed. I - like most - don't have VCDS and the interface cable so I'm at the mercy of someone who does. That's what I mean when I say it's not fully plug and play. Installation of the antenna on the Passat with heated windscreen is also not so simple! Hence it was time consuming!

My one is the latest version H. Unit was built in 2012 and has the 40GB hdd with V8 and all POIs pre-installed on the disk.

We came across an interesting issue while coding by the way. The latest versions E/F/H needs a new cable harness to allow voice control. No amount of coding can fix that - after a lot of trial and effort. It's to do with it needing a mic connected to it and the harness loops around with the mic on the bluetooth kit.

I'm not sure where I'll take that issue next as a: I'll need a new cable harness and b: it's a lot of work to install said harness and way above my DIY ability. I know it's daft, but I'd like voice control!

That all said thought, I love it and it's a funky piece of kit.... Well thought out - I prefer the touch screen it to the MMi system in Audi. Sets my new Passat off really well...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Traffic systems like that don't work in the Republic.

Traffic systems like that don't work in the Republic.

http://www.dublincity.ie/ROADSANDTRAFFIC/TRAFFIC/Pages/TMC(TrafficMessageChannel).aspx

Not quite so - or so the link seems to suggest. Again, I'm aware that this works with Garmin Nuvi devices. I believe TomTom Live uses an alternative service - one used by taxi, logistics and other delivery companies...

As is normal in Ireland, while they say we have it, having it work is another matter altogether.

What I mean is that while you can physically install it handy enough - and it will broadly work our of the box in fairness - but, to get it fully integrated with all systems like Bluetooth and the MFD (for navigation on it) coding is needed. I - like most - don't have VCDS and the interface cable so I'm at the mercy of someone who does. That's what I mean when I say it's not fully plug and play. Installation of the antenna on the Passat with heated windscreen is also not so simple! Hence it was time consuming!

My one is the latest version H. Unit was built in 2012 and has the 40GB hdd with V8 and all POIs pre-installed on the disk.

We came across an interesting issue while coding by the way. The latest versions E/F/H needs a new cable harness to allow voice control. No amount of coding can fix that - after a lot of trial and effort. It's to do with it needing a mic connected to it and the harness loops around with the mic on the bluetooth kit.

I'm not sure where I'll take that issue next as a: I'll need a new cable harness and b: it's a lot of work to install said harness and way above my DIY ability. I know it's daft, but I'd like voice control!

That all said thought, I love it and it's a funky piece of kit.... Well thought out - I prefer the touch screen it to the MMi system in Audi. Sets my new Passat off really well...

Which bluetooth module do you have? Is it VW Premium bluetooth and does the module sit under the driver's seat? I have a RNS 510 Version C and 5KO 035 730D bluetooth module. Mic cable goes from overhead console to back of RNS 510 and from RNS 510 to bluetooth module. It took me a while to get my voice control fully functioning. Sounds like your setup is a bit different though.

Which bluetooth module do you have? Is it VW Premium bluetooth and does the module sit under the driver's seat? I have a RNS 510 Version C and 5KO 035 730D bluetooth module. Mic cable goes from overhead console to back of RNS 510 and from RNS 510 to bluetooth module. It took me a while to get my voice control fully functioning. Sounds like your setup is a bit different though.

I have the under seat module - not sure of the part number but I believe it is the factory 9w7 module. As mentioned, The latest RNS-510 versions E, F & H requires different wiring for the mic to loop back to the headunit. I have the wiring diagram for pin out and a seller for the loom. I'm just not that confident with the large scale trim removal to make it happen. I'll figure it out though.

Anyone have any success uploading their own POIs and say speed cameras/black spots for example?

I have the under seat module - not sure of the part number but I believe it is the factory 9w7 module. As mentioned, The latest RNS-510 versions E, F & H requires different wiring for the mic to loop back to the headunit. I have the wiring diagram for pin out and a seller for the loom. I'm just not that confident with the large scale trim removal to make it happen. I'll figure it out though.

Do you have this harness?

KGrHqZHJCgE-edmB9lLBPu3-2R4Ww60_12.jpg

If so it should work with any of the RNS 510 versions. Is your phone working
    with the bluetooth and is your mic connected correctly?

My bluetooth is 5KO 035 730D (I think this one replaced the 9w7 bluetooth modules) and everything is working perfectly (voice control, phone etc.)

I haven't tried uploading POIs. I'm not sure how to do it. :)

This is the threasd I've been following regarding voice control. I've found a whole bunch of stuff about it.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5503492-RCD-510-to-RNS-510-ver-E-upgrade-on-a-2011-Golf-TDI-how-to-get-voice-commands-to-work

I'm nor sure I need a full harness - just an addition. Either way, it'll be interesting.

Oh, and for picture POIs check this guide out.... I'll give it a bash this weekend...

http://www.mytreg.com/index.php?/topic/8524-rns510-create-sd-card-destinations-inc-picture-navigation/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Been reading this with interest as it is a nice upgrade and I like the factory look too. However, I can't get around the cost issue, €300 gets you perfect Sat Nav and Bluetooth separates versus €800 for this and what sounds like lots and lots of hassle. As for the DVD function when on earth would you use that?

Maybe one day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

OSI wrote: »
    Never had kids in a car on a long journey?

Many times, but thought it only worked when the car was stopped? Also not really an ideal location for back seat passengers.

Advertisement