Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

RNS510 sat nav for VW

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clancger

Two RNS510 were stolen in my street in Navan last night, mine from my Skoda Superb, and a neighbour from his Passat.
    Looks like someone out "shopping" for this exact unit as 2 other Passats within 200 yards went untouched, and nothing else was taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

clancger wrote: »
    Two RNS510 were stolen in my street in Navan last night, mine from my Skoda Superb, and a neighbour from his Passat.
    Looks like someone out "shopping" for this exact unit as 2 other Passats within 200 yards went untouched, and nothing else was taken.

To be honest that has long been my reason for shying away from upgrading mine. They seem to invite unwanted attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

+1.

I'd love an RNS but I'd prefer not to have a window smashed and my dash hacked out. I have to make do with the basic unit because of these scumbags.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I might peal that radio code off my RNS next time I open up the dash. Wont stop them stealing it, but it'll mean they need to get the radio codes off VW.

Wonder is there such thing as lock nut style screws to make life more miserable for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

^^^ Making it more difficult just means they'll do even more damage to the dash.

I heard of some lads in England on a GTI forum who managed to get an RCD300 front to fit over the RNS. If they were leaving the car somewhere they could fit it fairly quickly. It would be the perfect solution because the scum obviously peep into every VW/Skoda on the street and ignore the ones with a basic headunit.

You can see the attraction as they fetch 5-600 euro each.

• Advertisement

^^^ Making it more difficult just means they'll do even more damage to the dash.

I heard of some lads in England on a GTI forum who managed to get an RCD300 front to fit over the RNS. If they were leaving the car somewhere they could fit it fairly quickly. It would be the perfect solution because the scum obviously peep into every VW/Skoda on the street and ignore the ones with a basic headunit.

You can see the attraction as they fetch 5-600 euro each.

Huzzah for tinted windows

They did a tidy enough job removing the unit (apart from the window that is), but left the bezel behind.
    As an example of how focussed they were, they went thorough the glove box, took out the remote for the kids DVD player with screens mounted on the headests and left it on the seat, but didn't take it.

Keep an eye on donedeal I guess. See if they're stupid enough. Assuming they took the DVD screens, throw the remote on adverts for the craic. See if they bite.

Sorry, wasn't clear with my last post.. They had the remote for the screens in their hands, so couldn't have overlooked them, but left them behind, focussed on the bigger prize.
    And the best part of all, when its replaced by the insurance, they know exactly where to find another one ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

Probably a bit off topic here but does anyone know where I can find the latest maps (Western Europe) for a RNS 510? And do they come on a SD card or a DVD?

Thanks for any info..

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

el diablo wrote: »
    Probably a bit off topic here but does anyone know where I can find the latest maps (Western Europe) for a RNS 510? And do they come on a SD card or a DVD?

Thanks for any info..

It comes on DVD I have Version 10 here.

Truckermal wrote: »
    It comes on DVD I have Version 10 here.

How recent is Version 10? What year? And where did you get the DVD?

How recent is Version 10? What year? And where did you get the DVD?

It's the latest one AFAIK well 2013 anyway, I got it from a guy on a Passat forum.

It's the latest one AFAIK well 2013 anyway, I got it from a guy on a Passat forum.

Thanks. Can you tell me how much I should be paying for it?

Thanks. Can you tell me how much I should be paying for it?

Fifteen quid I suppose or if you can get dual layer DVDs and posess a DVD writer with good broadband you can download at www.gpsunderground.com .

If that fails PM me and I can get one in the post or met you sometime.

Actually V11 is out now!!

Fifteen quid I suppose or if you can get dual layer DVDs and posess a DVD writer with good broadband you can download at www.gpsunderground.com .

Cheers, I'll look into it. I'm overseas right now (the maps are not for me personally. They're for the person who bought my car).

Cheers, I'll look into it. I'm overseas right now (the maps are not for me personally. They're for the person who bought my car).

No bother it's also worth noting that you can get firmware updates from the same source depending on the version.

I had V11 on mine that was stolen, and was a bit surprised when I got the car back with a DVD of V9 on the passenger seat.
    Some bright spark ordered the 2012 maps and charged it to the insurance.

The guy who brough car back was mad to tell me the DVD alone cost €300

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Where can I get a genuine RNS510 that hasn't been stolen/tampered with?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭emo72

jca wrote: »

i guess only from vw themselves. if you are buying from adverts.ie maybe check if the seller has good feedback, theres no guarantees though. just use your head:pac: been looking for one myself but cant afford the 400 odd they cost:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

jca wrote: »

I bought from eBay - a lot of the secondhand ones could potentially be stolen but they are a small fraction of the price from the dealers. Suppose it depends on your conscience. To me the 1500+ saving made me happy to do it.

I bought from eBay - a lot of the secondhand ones could potentially be stolen but they are a small fraction of the price from the dealers. Suppose it depends on your conscience. To me the 1500+ saving made me happy to do it.

You heartless bastard

I got mine on ebay too. The savings! :pac::pac:

So is it actually safe to use those torrent sites to download the maps? If it goes wrong can it damage the unit? The cheapest I can find a DVD (a copy) of the V11 maps is €50 on eBay.

So is it actually safe to use those torrent sites to download the maps? If it goes wrong can it damage the unit? The cheapest I can find a DVD (a copy) of the V11 maps is €50 on eBay.

I usually follow the link everyone else uses but obviously wait a while for posts on how successful it was.

TBH the newer maps don't really make a difference overhe re.

I usually follow the link everyone else uses but obviously wait a while for posts on how successful it was.

TBH the newer maps don't really make a difference overhe re.

So probably not much difference between V10 and V11?

So probably not much difference between V10 and V11?

I found no difference between 9 an 10 but driving in mainland Europe could be different.

I've used V8, V9, V10, V11 along the way.

If I remember correctly in terms of big gaps..
    V8 didnt have any of the M3, nor Dublin Waterford Motorway
    V9 had the Dublin-Waterford motorway terminating at the end of the Carlow Bypass.
    V10 got all the way to Waterford

I didn't spot any difference between V10 + V11, but I'd only loaded it a month or so before it was stolen

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭blacknight83

Hi guys, hoping someone could help me I'm getting a rns 510 and fiscon bluetooth in next few weeks and don't fancy installing myself would anyone know of someone in Dublin area that could fit it and will need it coded with vcds

Hi guys, hoping someone could help me I'm getting a rns 510 and fiscon bluetooth in next few weeks and don't fancy installing myself would anyone know of someone in Dublin area that could fit it and will need it coded with vcds

Blacknight83, meet Black_Knight.

The install is super simple. Use an old credit card to remove the bezel that surrounds your radio. Ive popped mine off 10s of times by now, its very easy. Then there's 4 T6 (I think) screws that hold the unit in. Unscrew those and slide the radio out. Disconnect the connector block at the back.

For mounting the GPS, I found a metal pipe (ive half thinking its for the A/C) in the head unit "hole" towards the back left. You'll have to "use the force" to find it, its a bit of a tight squeeze to get in there. The magnet on the GPS antenna should hold it there. Connect the other end to the new head unit, and connect the connector block to the new unit. and reverse the process to install it back in.

I cant help with the VCDS coding, as I broke my cable (should really get a new one), but someone here should be able to help.

Where abouts are you in Dublin, if its not too far I could lend a hand with the install if needs be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭blacknight83

great user name! thanks for help I'm in lucan area.. been looking up guides online for retro fitting rns that looks straight forward I'm mainly worried about rigging up the fiscon blue tooth module not keen on removing the a pillar and feeding cable back to head unit and then the coding!

Advertisement