Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

RNS510 sat nav for VW

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭emo72

I'm in lucan, contract me by pm and I can help you install. I done it recently minus the GPS install.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭blacknight83

emo72 wrote: »
    I'm in lucan, contract me by pm and I can help you install. I done it recently minus the GPS install.

cheers guys.. did u install a fiscon module too are u able to code it too? I'll definitely send you a pm when I get the units in next few weeks

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

emo72 wrote: »

typo? :p
    cheers guys.. did u install a fiscon module too are u able to code it too? I'll definitely send you a pm when I get the units in next few weeks

Read your OP too quick. Missed the bit about the Bluetooth. Ive not done that in mine (it came with a parrot kit installed, and its not a priority for me to upgrade to OEM).

Between myself and emo72 you're sorted, though the GPS antenna is pretty simple once you can find that metal pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Xpro

Hi guys, hoping someone could help me I'm getting a rns 510 and fiscon bluetooth in next few weeks and don't fancy installing myself would anyone know of someone in Dublin area that could fit it and will need it coded with vcds

Hi, how come you went for a fiscon module? Have you got a red MFD?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭blacknight83

no white mfd, got fiscon plus unit decided to opt for this instead of oem I didn't fancy putting module under the seat also the fiscon is close enough to a oem and integrates with mfd and steering wheel

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Just wondering, I just got a car with a RNS510 ver C / 30GB hd.
    It has 2760 SW installed & 7074 maps.

I'm hoping to 'borrow' a V11 map DVD & am worried if I need a newer SW version to load it - don't want to brick it.

Also wondering if anyone has TMC working on these, cant seem to get it to do anything. Do I need to upgrade the SW for that to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Steve wrote: »

I'm hoping to 'borrow' a V11 map DVD & am worried if I need a newer SW version to load it - don't want to brick it.

Also wondering if anyone has TMC working on these, cant seem to get it to do anything. Do I need to upgrade the SW for that to work?

I don't think you need newer software Steve but be sure not to put newer software on a older unit or you will brick it. As for the traffic thing it don't work over here..

How did you get it to show you the SW and maps versions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

If you press and hold the Setup key it will show you this. But only if this shortcut was enabled by VCDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Just bought a '05 Golf and looking to upgrade the RCD300 in it to an RNS510.

Canyone purchased one recently that can recommend some sellers on eBay? Will also look to have FISCON bluetooth installed too, but probabably at a later date.

• Advertisement

bennyx_o wrote: »
    Just bought a '05 Golf and looking to upgrade the RCD300 in it to an RNS510.

Canyone purchased one recently that can recommend some sellers on eBay? Will also look to have FISCON bluetooth installed too, but probabably at a later date.

If you can wait until January my new car will be coming and I will be selling my one which is tye P version.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

How did you get it to show you the SW and maps versions?

power-off, power on while holding setup, it will first show radio fm/am test, keep holding and you get the full setup menu. :)

V11 maps need seperated partitions as the map is huge and I don't think it will work on yours.
    Firmware update will be necessary.

What is the revision number of your head unit? Is yours LCD or LED unit? ( The last letter of the part number? )

You could update to modified 4120 and you will get separated partitions, and loads of other features. Further updates will not be necessary.

Sound. Ill give that a go, though I probably dont have it enabled in VCDS. Santa might bring me a new Vag Com cable...... im santa, guess ill buy it for myself.

Sound. Ill give that a go, though I probably dont have it enabled in VCDS. Santa might bring me a new Vag Com cable...... im santa, guess ill buy it for myself.

20 euro from DX.com and yes they work grand on your car...

Truckermal wrote: »
    20 euro from DX.com and yes they work grand on your car...

Ive the 2 of these on my wish lists:
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/VAG-K-CAN-Commander-Full-1-4-obd2-Diagnostic-Scanner-COM-for-VW-forAudi-Skoda-Seat/1722787586.html

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/121407681190?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

The "UK" one says its in the UK, but the seller is in Aus (though the postage specifically excludes Australia).

Ive the 2 of these on my wish lists:
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/VAG-K-CAN-Commander-Full-1-4-obd2-Diagnostic-Scanner-COM-for-VW-forAudi-Skoda-Seat/1722787586.html

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/121407681190?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

The "UK" one says its in the UK, but the seller is in Aus (though the postage specifically excludes Australia).

I don't want to be going off topic but neither of those cables are any good. I can lend you mine anytime if you want allthough it likes XP or Win 7..

Xpro wrote: »
    V11 maps need seperated partitions as the map is huge and I don't think it will work on yours.
    Firmware update will be necessary.

What is the revision number of your head unit? Is yours LCD or LED unit? ( The last letter of the part number? )

You could update to modified 4120 and you will get separated partitions, and loads of other features. Further updates will not be necessary.

Yeah, the partition thing has me concerned, this is what's making me think I need a FW update.

The head unit is 1T0035680C, HW41, SW2760. 30G HDD

The irony of it all. Driving back from Kilkenny, Sat nav running, and all of a sudden blank screen. Can't boot it up, can't reset it either. It's getting power (black screen is "lit"), but not getting a boot sequence.

Initial googling tells me it might be bricked.

The irony of it all. Driving back from Kilkenny, Sat nav running, and all of a sudden blank screen. Can't boot it up, can't reset it either. It's getting power (black screen is "lit"), but not getting a boot sequence.

Initial googling tells me it might be bricked.

Maybe it just got a little hot leave it alone for a few hours..

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear that BK.

Have you tried powering up while holding the setup button? If that works there's a factory reset option in the menu.

In other news, I updated the maps in mine to 8117 / 2014 V11, took about 40 mins to load and save to the HDD but no issues. Went for a spin and it now has roads where it didn't before.. win :)

Sorry to hear that BK.

Have you tried powering up while holding the setup button? If that works there's a factory reset option in the menu.

In other news, I updated the maps in mine to 8117 / 2014 V11, took about 40 mins to load and save to the HDD but no issues. Went for a spin and it now has roads where it didn't before.. win :)

Great to hear Steve.

If you were looking for firmware, I got mine from this site:
    http://www.rnsfirmware.com

Its modified version by some guys in OZ. Works perfect, tons of new features plus Video in Motion. ( not for you, but passengers;))

Maybe it just got a little hot leave it alone for a few hours..

Still dead this morning. Time to scower Dublin for a good-willed VCDS owner, and after that tells me the head unit is dead, time to start saving for a new one. :(

Still dead this morning. Time to scower Dublin for a good-willed VCDS owner, and after that tells me the head unit is dead, time to start saving for a new one. :(

Give Tossy a PM..

Give Tossy a PM..

I held you accountable for any inconvenience caused by this :D

Also... you're 2 posts away from 1000. Make it a good one.

Where are you based, I can have a look at it for you?

Don't panic, the unit will not brick itself without some sort of interference.

Quite possible that the display went, which can be replaced for reasonable monies.

Other then that I suggest pulling the radio fuse out for at least 15min ( located in the engine bay, First fuse on the right just above the relays starting from the bottom. 15amp) and see how that goes.

Xpro wrote: »
    Where are you based, I can have a look at it for you?

Don't panic, the unit will not brick itself without some sort of interference.

Quite possible that the display went, which can be replaced for reasonable monies.

Other then that I suggest pulling the radio fuse out for at least 15min ( located in the engine bay, First fuse on the right just above the relays starting from the bottom. 15amp) and see how that goes.

Cool, ill have a go at that tomorrow after work. Im based in Dublin 15, but I can drive..... obviously :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Hi guys. I'm on the trail for a satnav from a 2012 Octavia that was recently crashed. If the insurance write it off and I buy it what do I do for a aerial? Do I try and get the fancy looking roof aerial thats on the car or will I have to buy an under dash aerial?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Get a generic one on eBay and plug it in the back. You can pop the air vents on top of the dash and stick it as high up in there as you can.

I did this and never had an issue with getting a GPS fix. If the nav is the Amunsden I wouldn't bother though. It's not a patch on the Colombus and unless you are getting it ridiculously cheap the better unit is worth forking out for.

• Advertisement

Yeah. Generic aerial on ebay. Usually about €15-20. I couldnt get mine up near the vents (VW CC) but my child like hands could reach in behind the radio housing and I found a metal pipe. The magnet on the GPS antenna holds it and I get signal straight away.

Advertisement