Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

RNS510 sat nav for VW

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Thanks for the replies guys. If I'm lucky and it's the columbus will I need a separate bluetooth module? I haven't seen the car yet it's awaiting assessment but by all accounts it's a gonner.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I would assume so. Im not too familiar with the Columbus model, but I assume they're all more or less the same. The BT module is usually separate. Its housed under the drivers seat as far as im aware. About €300 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Yes you need a separate Bluetooth module with the Columbus. They can be got for around the 150 - 200 euro mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Has the car already got Bluetooth? If so the Colombus is plug and play. Mine only had the basic swing radio with Bluetooth and there was no issues and it worked immediately.

Harcrid wrote: »
    Yes you need a separate Bluetooth module with the Columbus. They can be got for around the 150 - 200 euro mark.

Damn VWs are pricier.

Im guessing one of these off carsystems.pl would do the trick for the Columbus.

http://www.carsystems.pl/skoda,c8.html?start=0&order=p&dir=a&pF=9.99&pT=599.00&pk=32&f=-1

• Advertisement

Has the car already got Bluetooth? If so the Colombus is plug and play. Mine only had the basic swing radio with Bluetooth and there was no issues and it worked immediately.

No it has the basic swing radio without bluetooth. This is fast becoming an expensive exercise..... Thinking about sticking with my bluetooth earpiece tbh.

jca wrote: »
    No it has the basic swing radio without bluetooth. This is fast becoming an expensive exercise..... Thinking about sticking with my bluetooth earpiece tbh.

I got an RNS510 once (actually twice, first one died last month). I now have a reversing camera. Love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

It's worth it, God knows they're miserable enough places to be without something interesting to play with! You can add the Bluetooth at a later stage if you want. You'll also need a new dash trim for it to fit. That's about 50 quid from a dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clancger

Mine was stolen for the 2nd time in 5 months last Tue night. They went in the passenger window.
    Other the my wooly hat + leather gloves, nothing else taken.
    In the meantime it's been recovered by guards, and I'm picking up on Monday.
    Not sure if the guards caught the guys concerned, all I was told was it's the result of a car search in Slane Tuesday night.
    Anyone that's being blinded by the great "deals" on Adverts, Ebay etc must first be clear that they are generating a market for stolen goods as these are being stolen to order.
    If you're not bothered by that, then please do post here when it's your turn to be robbed.

It's worth it, God knows they're miserable enough places to be without something interesting to play with! You can add the Bluetooth at a later stage if you want. You'll also need a new dash trim for it to fit. That's about 50 quid from a dealer.

Mine isn't that austere in fairness as it has the cream half leather interior with the fake wood trim certainly much nicer than the drab grey of the standard cars. I don't think I'll go ahead with it as it's going to be a lot more expensive than I thought especially with the bluetooth being an added expense. The threat of it being stolen doesn't help either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 jamiephillips

Hey guys , i bought an after market rcd510 from china (big mistake ) baterry drain issues after a month , the radio just seems to never knock off , i have the can bus gateway which is ment to help in some way but on my mk5 golf 2004 i cant find out where it goes , has anybody any experience with this or can point me in the right direction

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Hey guys , i bought an after market rcd510 from china (big mistake ) baterry drain issues after a month , the radio just seems to never knock off , i have the can bus gateway which is ment to help in some way but on my mk5 golf 2004 i cant find out where it goes , has anybody any experience with this or can point me in the right direction
    Canbus is above the pedals on the GTI, not sure if it's the same for other Golf models.

There's a few videos on YouTube showing how to replace it

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Xpro

Hi, not sure the Chinese clone would use a Can protocol tho?? ( is a clone or just a chinese variant?)

If the unit is not powering off, you can swap the ignition terminals on the block connector going into back of the radio.
    Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jamiephillips

Ye i searched under there couldnt find it

After much deliberation I've decided against upgrading. It's really not worth the hassle. With my phone holder and Google maps ill use that method the rare time I need directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

After much deliberation I've decided against upgrading. It's really not worth the hassle. With my phone holder and Google maps ill use that method the rare time I need directions.

In the same boat, would be nice to have but they seem to invite trouble and are crazy money for what they offer.

In the same boat, would be nice to have but they seem to invite trouble and are crazy money for what they offer.

It wouldn't be too bad if it was an all in one unit but to have to pay a lot extra for bluetooth is a choker.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

It wouldn't be too bad if it was an all in one unit but to have to pay a lot extra for bluetooth is a choker.

I'll be selling my Passat soon and it has all that including the Media pack!!

Id like to add BT to mine to complete it, but id rarely use it to be honest, so the expense doesnt make sense. RNS 510 (x2) and an OEM reversing camera is quite enough expense.

Car came with a parrott BT kit when I got it. Its ok.

Probably a stupid question but is this any good? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290735917424?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&clk_rvr_id=754315050614&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

Forget about it, I see he's wanting 44 quid postage.....No chance..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

Probably a stupid question but is this any good? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290735917424?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&clk_rvr_id=754315050614&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

Forget about it, I see he's wanting 44 quid postage.....No chance..

You've had a lucky escape. Those Chinese knock-offs are fúcking garbage.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

Anyone ever had problems with the CD Changer? Have a 08 Passat and it doesnt read/swallows the CDs. I want to put in a new radio/sat nav into the Car but want to get this fixed first so it won't start a knock on of problems once ive the new system installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

I'm looking at getting one through a car forum member, it's an RNS-510 version C though, this is quite an old unit I think, probably not worth the 500 euro asking price, what do people think? I assume I should keep looking for a newer model

Truckermal wrote: »
    I'll be selling my Passat soon and it has all that including the Media pack!!

Did you sell the Passat after? Kinda getting a hankering for a satnav again...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Did you sell the Passat after? Kinda getting a hankering for a satnav again...

No still have it love it too much but changing soon..

Kagawa wrote: »
    I'm looking at getting one through a car forum member, it's an RNS-510 version C though, this is quite an old unit I think, probably not worth the 500 euro asking price, what do people think? I assume I should keep looking for a newer model

You are better of going for a newer rns510's from E onwards as they are LED. Much better resolution, better hard drive partitions and capable of latest SW updates. You can not do that with older LCD versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

Xpro wrote: »
    You are better of going for a newer rns510's from E onwards as they are LED. Much better resolution, better hard drive partitions and capable of latest SW updates. You can not do that with older LCD versions.

The guy said it was LED, thanks for the info, there is a guy on adverts selling a Rev H, I'll be going that way so

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭cruiser202006

Bought an rns 510 and ace fitted it to my 11 reg caddy. Unit was manufactured October 2012. Basically I've only a single antennae plug in caddy but unit has a sort of twin plug. Antennae still plugs in but reception not great at times! Any adaptor or remedy?!

Bought an rns 510 and ace fitted it to my 11 reg caddy. Unit was manufactured October 2012. Basically I've only a single antennae plug in caddy but unit has a sort of twin plug. Antennae still plugs in but reception not great at times! Any adaptor or remedy?!

You need an adaptor and a GPS antenna. The other plug is for Gps.
    You can put the gps antenna just behind the radio underneath the dash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭cruiser202006

Kagawa wrote: »
    The guy said it was LED, thanks for the info, there is a guy on adverts selling a Rev H, I'll be going that way so

Sorry! Got to this before ye!!!

Advertisement