Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

RNS510 sat nav for VW

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Elessar wrote: »
    Very interesting thread lads but I have a question.

I'm buying a new Golf next year and I'm thinking of getting the Edition-R model. This includes bluetooth and the RCD510 radio as standard.

Is it possible to upgrade the RCD510 to include Sat-Nav?

Yes. You have 2 options.

1. Pay VW approx €1,200 to spec it from the factory (this is an approx figure. In cars where the RCD 510 is not standard, the RNS is about €1800 to spec)

2. Buy the RNS unit yourself as per this thread, retro-fit it and sell your existing RCD unit. This will only cost you a couple of hundred overall.

Even though they look similar, the RCD 510 and RNS 510 are completely different units and it's not possible to "upgrade" the RCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Yes. You have 2 options.

1. Pay VW approx €1,200 to spec it from the factory (this is an approx figure. In cars where the RCD 510 is not standard, the RNS is about €1800 to spec)

2. Buy the RNS unit yourself as per this thread, retro-fit it and sell your existing RCD unit. This will only cost you a couple of hundred overall.

Even though they look similar, the RCD 510 and RNS 510 are completely different units and it's not possible to "upgrade" the RCD.

As a matter of interest, if I bought a highline instead, with the RCD310 - is that the same swap out procedure to get the RNS510? There is no bluetooth in the highline but there is a MFSW so would any additional VAG coding be required?

As a matter of interest, if I bought a highline instead, with the RCD310 - is that the same swap out procedure to get the RNS510? There is no bluetooth in the highline but there is a MFSW so would any additional VAG coding be required?

Yes, you would need the BT module separately (assuming you want bluetooth). And the MFD (screen between the speedo and rev counter) will need to be programmed in both cars - to show NAV information (directions, street names, etc). The MFSW should work without any programming I think... i.e. audio / radio stations control.

My GTD had the RCD 310.

Decisions decisions!

Without going off topic, if I wanted to install bluetooth aswell in the highline, do I only need the bluetooth module for under the passenger seat? Does the RNS510 have an integrated microphone as I believe the skoda units have? Or is that a big wiring/trim job?

Decisions decisions!

Without going off topic, if I wanted to install bluetooth aswell in the highline, do I only need the bluetooth module for under the passenger seat? Does the RNS510 have an integrated microphone as I believe the skoda units have? Or is that a big wiring/trim job?

It doesn't have an integrated mic. My RNS is voice-control compatible but doesn't work, cos I don't have the mic! So it would have to be wired in. Not worth it for me.

My BT module (factory fitted) is under the driver seat. I think it can just as easily be placed elsewhere for easier wiring, even in behind the radio. But I don't think it's a DIY job unless you really know what you are doing. Plus, the car will need to be programmed with VAG COM.

If you have an RCD 510, you'd easily flog that for 3-400. You'd get an RNS then for about 6-700. So it won't cost you too much, going that route. I didn't bother selling the RCD 310, as it's not worth a lot and I'd probably swap it back into the car if I were selling the car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

You'd get an RNS for a lot less than that! I flogged mine for €400 and had loads of people lined up. It was better than hanging around ages with it being overpriced. Can get the newest LED for under 550 from someone I know.

Had a play around with a zenec recently and I'd avoid it at all costs. Not very user-friendly despite some nice functionality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 DougieHowser

I see Halfords are now doing the Zenec units. Should give people a bit of peace of mind about purchasing that unit with shop gaurantee etc.

I'm still torn between going the zenec route through a Halfords type shop and going the rns route buying the unit from someone I don't know and then having to purchase the bluetooth and mdi modules seperately :(

Very confused at this stage! Anyone know if I can get a good rns unit from someone in Dublin or Leinster area? including bt and mdi units?

Cheers

Some helpful links I found:

Install guide for the RNS and bluetooth on the MK6 Golf:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=151928.0

Here's a video of the RNS510 install:

I see Halfords are now doing the Zenec units. Should give people a bit of peace of mind about purchasing that unit with shop gaurantee etc.

I'm still torn between going the zenec route through a Halfords type shop and going the rns route buying the unit from someone I don't know and then having to purchase the bluetooth and mdi modules seperately :(

Very confused at this stage! Anyone know if I can get a good rns unit from someone in Dublin or Leinster area? including bt and mdi units?

Cheers

Get the RNS and a Parrot kit. Cheaper and better. The Zenec really has a crappy menu structure and the colours look odd.

EPM wrote: »
    Get the RNS and a Parrot kit. Cheaper and better. The Zenec really has a crappy menu structure and the colours look odd.

Why do you suggest the parrot unit rather than just getting the bt module for the rns 510?

I know it's fairly expensive but if I don't want to have any extra clutter on dash etc would I not be better having the rns unit as an all in one nav/phone/ipod/radio etc?

Or is there a specific reason for suggesting the Parrot?

I'm on iPhone 4 at the minute .... I presume rns with bt will work fully with that?

Can you recommend a place to buy an rns unit? I think you're right and the rns is the way to go to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Pioneer-Avic-F9210-BT-RNS-510-/250932639217?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item3a6cc035f1

all in one unit, looks OEM, have a your satnav, parrot kit, ipod, dvd.

alls play nice with rear cameras, air con etc.

can also change backlight colour to suit your dash

I have a 3210bt for my mk5

damo86 wrote: »
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Pioneer-Avic-F9210-BT-RNS-510-/250932639217?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item3a6cc035f1

all in one unit, looks OEM, have a your satnav, parrot kit, ipod, dvd.

alls play nice with rear cameras, air con etc.

can also change backlight colour to suit your dash

I have a 3210bt for my mk5

Cheers for that but I'm not a massive fan of the Pioneer unit ... I've seen it in a couple of VW's and I don't think it looks particularly OEM to be honest.

For pretty much the money I'd rather go for the Zenec unit which has pretty much the same features list but looks almost identical to the OEM unit.

Pioneer has too few buttons on the side of the screen to look OEM and is matt black finish rather than the piano black gloss finish of Zenec/RNS unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

You'd get an RNS for a lot less than that! I flogged mine for €400 and had loads of people lined up. It was better than hanging around ages with it being overpriced. Can get the newest LED for under 550 from someone I know.

Had a play around with a zenec recently and I'd avoid it at all costs. Not very user-friendly despite some nice functionality.

Is the new one a Skoda one or could I use it too in the Passat.

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Is the new one a Skoda one or could I use it too in the Passat.

They all get revised but the Skoda ones have different backlightling. It will work flawlessly but the aesthetics would be off a tad.

They all get revised but the Skoda ones have different backlightling. It will work flawlessly but the aesthetics would be off a tad.

So it has green back lights...

So it has green back lights...

It does. Identical bar branding though.

It does. Identical bar branding though.

Fcuk it anyway. Better off buying a Superb at this rate...

Fcuk it anyway. Better off buying a Superb at this rate...

Or buy a VW one:pac:

Or buy a VW one:pac:

I would at the right price. I have the parrotas mki9200 allready. Would that be the same thing as the vw bluetooth module..

I would at the right price. I have the parrotas mki9200 allready. Would that be the same thing as the vw bluetooth module..

Its better as its also equivalent to the OEM MDI unit for your iPod.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if you can answer incoming calls on the rcd510 if you have mobile bluetooth "entry" in the golf?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

I'm looking to get a RNS 510 for my Mk. 6 Golf. Can anyone point me in the direction of someone selling a recent model at a reasonable price?

Also is there any Irish sellers that will also install the unit for me?

Thanks for any feedback.. :)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

el diablo wrote: »
    I'm looking to get a RNS 510 for my Mk. 6 Golf. Can anyone point me in the direction of someone selling a recent model at a reasonable price?

Also is there any Irish sellers that will also install the unit for me?

Thanks for any feedback.. :)

http://vagdrivers.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=78775&hl=

sean1141 wrote: »

Looks like he (is it you?) already has a buyer.

Anyone know of anyone else selling one or any more info?

There's a guy in Meath who does them who has an eBay store. I believe people have gotten better deals by contacting him directly, i.e. bypassing eBay. He also fits them, although this is not a difficult DIY task anyway. I think he's been mentioned earlier in this thread somewhere.
    Other than that, do what I did. Try the UK enthusiasts forums who often run group buys. I listed the details of where I got mine earlier in this thread.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    There's a guy in Meath who does them who has an eBay store. I believe people have gotten better deals by contacting him directly, i.e. bypassing eBay. He also fits them, although this is not a difficult DIY task anyway. I think he's been mentioned earlier in this thread somewhere.
    Other than that, do what I did. Try the UK enthusiasts forums who often run group buys. I listed the details of where I got mine earlier in this thread.

Thanks Joe. Think I've found that seller (he looks quite expensive though I might try calling him directly.

There's no visible aerial on the roof of my car (I assume it's built into the body somehow). Will this have an affect on the operation of the RNS 510?

Thanks Joe. Think I've found that seller (he looks quite expensive though I might try calling him directly.

There's no visible aerial on the roof of my car (I assume it's built into the body somehow). Will this have an affect on the operation of the RNS 510?

No, that won't make much difference at all. You only get the sharkfin aerial if the sat nav is factory fitted. It would be too much hassle and grief to retrofit it!
    I have the GPS aerial tucked in behind the centre air vents above the radio and it works perfectly.

I've a couple more question Joe (or anyone else).

What's a MDI and how can you update the sat nav maps and are they expensive to update to newer version?

I've a couple more question Joe (or anyone else).

What's a MDI and how can you update the sat nav maps and are they expensive to update to newer version?

MDI = Multimedia Device Interface.
    Basically an iPod / USB stick connector, in the armrest. I have it and use it rarely because
    - the RNS has it's own 30 GB HD
    - The SD Card slot on the RNS
    - Bluetooth audio (can stream music/podcasts directly from iPhone to RNS) assuming you also have BT installed. This is the option I use most. Really handy.

Maps - Go into VW dealer and pay main stealer prices for a DVD... or google it! Installing the updated maps is easy. Stick in the DVD and follow onscreen instructions. Takes about 30 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

Looks like he (is it you?) already has a buyer.

its not mine or anything to do with me. i just spotted it earlier and said i would give you the link to it..

your welcome btw:rolleyes:

Advertisement