Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

RNS510 sat nav for VW

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

Many times, but thought it only worked when the car was stopped? Also not really an ideal location for back seat passengers.

Most systems can have the Video In Motion block unlocked. I've been using it for music/concert DVDs which in DTS Audio sounds great.

The unit I think is great value in the general scheme of things. Sure, I'm missing two options - traffic and voice control. I can fix the voice thing with some rewiring but it seems as if the traffic just does not work here in Ireland.

The other options are fantastic and no aftermarket solution comes even close to the levels of integration that it offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 khig

i bought an rsn510 off a lad in meath i met him in summerhill and he gave me 6 months warnity 2 weeks ago i now have have two buttons broke and he won't answer my calls anyone any idea who he is ?where can he be found can anyone help

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

khig wrote: »
    i bought an rsn510 off a lad in meath i met him in summerhill and he gave me 6 months warnity 2 weeks ago i now have have two buttons broke and he won't answer my calls anyone any idea who he is ?where can he be found can anyone help

Where did you see it advertised? If he gave you a six month "warranty" surely you have his name etc.?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Been reading this with interest as it is a nice upgrade and I like the factory look too. However, I can't get around the cost issue, €300 gets you perfect Sat Nav and Bluetooth separates versus €800 for this and what sounds like lots and lots of hassle. As for the DVD function when on earth would you use that?

Maybe one day!

Alternatively you can just get a Zenec ZE-NC2010 which should be a good bit cheaper if you can find a second hand one, sat nav, BT and DVD. Also very easy to install, no coding or fascia adapters required as it's developed for VW.

el diablo wrote: »
    Where did you see it advertised? If he gave you a six month "warranty" surely you have his name etc.?
    his name is tom i got it on ebay but i met him meath

• Advertisement

his name is tom i got it on ebay but i met him meath

I got one from the same fellow a while back and have had zero issue with it. I found him very good albeit a bit slow to respond.... I get the impression he's a busy fellow....

Anyhow, not making excuses for him and to help you out, I bought and had him install it at his house.

The next question is for the Mods - I know where this guy lives, it is in or out of the rules if I PM khig his address?

if i give u my email address can u send it 2 me

does anyone no how to take the front panel off the rns 510 to change the right hand nav button please help thanks

OSI wrote: »
    I've seen plenty of videos and complaints about the various non-OEM equivalents of the RNS, and given that a second hand RNS-510 can be got for in the region of €500, I wouldn't bother going near the others.

Yes, I agree 100%.
    does anyone no how to take the front panel off the rns 510 to change the right hand nav button please help thanks

DO you need just to replace the plastic cover of the NAV button or the whole button?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

rickyjb wrote: »
    Alternatively you can just get a Zenec ZE-NC2010 which should be a good bit cheaper if you can find a second hand one, sat nav, BT and DVD. Also very easy to install, no coding or fascia adapters required as it's developed for VW.

I looked at zenec units recently. Looks like a kid drew the menus and plenty of compatability issues for units supposed to be plug and play.

• Advertisement

el diablo wrote: »
    Yes, I agree 100%.

DO you need just to replace the plastic cover of the NAV button or the whole button?
    its the button when you press it it stays in its like the rubber is gone behind the button

its the button when you press it it stays in its like the rubber is gone behind the button

Not really sure. It's probably best if you keep trying to contact the guy who sold it to you.

ok thanks. my software version is 3890 do i need to update to 4020 and where could i download it

ok thanks. my software version is 3890 do i need to update to 4020 and where could i download it

No need to upgrade in my opinion and there is a danger of "bricking" your unit if you do so.

Your software version is quite recent.

ok thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I think you'd have to take the unit apart to get the front facia off and VW don't sell individual spare bits for them. Your only option would be to salvage the facia / buttons from another unit. The guy you bought it off should help!

What hardware version is your unit? Chances are that S/W version 3890 is the latest version for your unit...

Also, all you want to know about VW navigation is here...

http://vwnavi.com/forum.php

Update on my exploits with my Passat and RNS-510....

I recently had the MDI kit installed and I'm glad I did. I can now integrate my oldish iPod with 160GB of lossless music. Now, the real benefit of this is I can browse music by song, artist, album, podcast and use ipod playlist too. What's also neat is what if you play by song, and select mix, I finally get that random song mode that's been bugging me.

it is hw version h55 sw version.sw 3890. map version hdd7692

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

I looked at zenec units recently. Looks like a kid drew the menus and plenty of compatability issues for units supposed to be plug and play.

I've had no issues with mine but I don't have steering wheel controls or reversing cameras or anything like that set up. For me it literally was just plug and play, did it myself in about 15 minutes.

• Advertisement

rickyjb wrote: »
    I've had no issues with mine but I don't have steering wheel controls or reversing cameras or anything like that set up. For me it literally was just plug and play, did it myself in about 15 minutes.

You need coding to make that stuff work. You can buy VCDS and the cable for about 400 or get someone to do it for you....

Coding also gets the compass and navigation working in the multi function display.

Frankly, I would not see the value of the unit without full integration.

it is hw version h55 sw version.sw 3890. map version hdd7692

Also important is the letter at the end of the delivery part number.... you will see this quoted most on various fora. Mine is H with a manufacture date of Feb 12...

hi guys im looking for a multi media inter face lead for my rns 510 does anyone no where i could get one i want to connect my 2 headrest screen's to the rns 510 thanks.

hi guys im looking for a multi media inter face lead for my rns 510 does anyone no where i could get one i want to connect my 2 headrest screen's to the rns 510 thanks.

Hi, I suggest posting that on the VW Navi forum.... However, I'm not sure if that can be done. I know you can input devices like a games console or tv tuner, but I do not believe you can output video....

Anyhow, a crowd called Kufatec are really good for aftermarket wiring looms and connectors... maybe they can help...

http://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/

Would be interested to hear how you get on....

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BigDog101

Does anyone know where I can get an RNS-510 supplied and fitted these days for my MK6 GTi?
    Thanks

BigDog101 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can get an RNS-510 supplied and fitted these days for my MK6 GTi?
    Thanks

They can be bought on eBay for a reasonable price and it's easy to install yourself (It's plug and play).

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BigDog101

Cheers, if I go for it should I get my hands on one of those trim removal tools aswell?

BigDog101 wrote: »
    Cheers, if I go for it should I get my hands on one of those trim removal tools aswell?
    I didn't bother with the trim removal tool. It's easy to remove the trim with a bank/credit card etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Trim removal set would be useful. Worth having anyway, I've used mine for a few other jobs since. Look for "Bojo" tools on eBay. Having said that, it's not too difficult a job on the MK6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭DeniG2

A few members on this thread have mentioned the Zenec 2010. I bought one recently and am trying to update it, but can't find any info on the internet. I've emailed zenec support but they seem very slow to reply.Their website explains how to update from v10 to v11 but mine is pre v10 and there no info about how to get to v10

any help of suggestions would be very much appreciated

Deni

Advertisement