Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

RNS510 sat nav for VW

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Don't look for areas. Chose a city/town then a street name. It gives you options then. If you look for specific areas it just doesn't compute:D

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭spunk_monkey

EPM wrote: »
    Don't look for areas. Chose a city/town then a street name. It gives you options then. If you look for specific areas it just doesn't compute:D

Tried everything,honestly! I challenge you to find that address!!

I'll try it in the morning. Cars at the back of the car park and I'm too lazy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I'll try mine tomorrow too. Likewise, my car is also in the carpark where there's no sat nav signal!

any luck with this lads:)

• Advertisement

well I gave it a quick try there, and sure enough I can't find Blackrock either. I entered Dublin as the city and then tried Blackrock for the street... no good. Tried the actual street name then Grange Terrace and Deansgrange and that didn't seem to work either. I dunno :confused:

thanks for trying...jeez, starting to think I may have thrown my cash down the tubes now..seems the nav is very hit and miss if it can't find a well known place like Blackrock in Dublin:confused:

Strange, cos it seems to know the most obscure towns/street names around where I live.

I hadn't used the search for destination by address much before this, so maybe there's some technique we're using that's leading us astray, as EPM has suggested!

Give me 5 mins and I'll go out to the car.

Lads, I dunno what you two were up to but I got it straight away:D

141a6725.jpg

60f4d9af.jpg

• Advertisement

how, LOL ?!

You entered "Blackrock" as the town? I think mine displays "City" rather than "Town" there, but I'm nearly sure I tried Blackrock there too and it didn't work!

I'll try again...

Fair play, genuinely surprised:) Care to explain!

I think what catches people out is the predictive spelling of the areas and you can easily miss the other options because of it.

I think what catches people out is the predictive spelling of the areas and you can easily miss the other options because of it.

I typed 'blackrock' into the town/p.code box, and it didn't bring up that! Brought up some place I never heard of! I'll try again when I get home..! Maybe you have a newer map update? Although I was told mine was fully up to date..

I typed 'blackrock' into the town/p.code box, and it didn't bring up that! Brought up some place I never heard of! I'll try again when I get home..! Maybe you have a newer map update? Although I was told mine was fully up to date..

My maps are about 2 years old. Missing a few of the newer motorways. Next service I'm going to get it updated although I might try different mapping software before then.

OK I got it!
    I had also typed in "Blackrock" and it brought up some place in Waterford.

So instead, I just typed "Black" and then pressed the key which matches that word "Black". Then I could see "Blackrock (County Dublin)" in the list and was able to select that and the street name easily then.

It must be the predictive entry getting itself in knots, strange... it could be more intuitive!

JoeA3 wrote: »
    OK I got it!

So instead, I just typed "Black" and then pressed the key which matches that word "Black". Then I could see "Blackrock (County Dublin)" in the list and was able to select that and the street name easily then.

It must be the predictive entry getting itself in knots, strange... it could be more intuitive!
    can the predictive entry be disabled?

OK I got it!

If you look at the keyboard as you type some letters become hidden when the predictive text kicks in. It fills some letters for you but if you type after it does this you can wind up somewhere completely different. It's ok once you get used to it but it's still very easy to get bogged down.
    can the predictive entry be disabled?

Dont think so:(

If you look at the keyboard as you type some letters become hidden when the predictive text kicks in. It fills some letters for you but if you type after it does this you can wind up somewhere completely different. It's ok once you get used to it but it's still very easy to get bogged down.

Dont think so:(

Yeah, I understood that bit... the alphabet keys get disabled as it narrows the matches down as you type. But I would still have expected it to bring up a list of matches for "Blackrock" rather than the single option I got, i.e. the random place in Waterford!

Seems it's better to just type in the first 3-4 characters and then bring up the matching list rather than relying completely on the predictive search.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

So where should I be buying these RNS510 with bluetooth? its probably not €700 from the dealership I'm assuming :)'

I thought the SZWaywell ones had good reviews and were about €400 with bluetooth... I hadn't heard many bad things about them either... it's worth the extra €300 to get the OEM?

• Advertisement

Have things changed much or is it still around €700 for the RNS510 with Bluetooth?

RNS version C will cost you ballpark €600-€700 on it's own, depending on where you source it. Bluetooth module is separate.

This is on Ebay and the likes obviously... or "private" sellers such as the one I got mine from (I posted his details earlier in this thread).

Obviously you could probably at least treble that price if you go down to your friendly dealer!

So where should I be buying these RNS510 with bluetooth? its probably not €700 from the dealership I'm assuming :)'

I thought the SZWaywell ones had good reviews and were about €400 with bluetooth... I hadn't heard many bad things about them either... it's worth the extra €300 to get the OEM?

Hi,

I considered a Chinese unit before I bought the rns..the waywell got the best reviews( one specific model -can't remember it off hand- but their other models are supposed to be rubbish). Nearly went for it as it works out around 400 Inc Bluetooth but in the end, after reading more reviews, the general view was that they are great for a year and then things start breaking..usually the DVD drive goes first.

Decided I'd buy the rns rather than end up buying twice which would be likely if I went with the waywell.

I paid 730 for the revision C unit with blutooth fully installed. If you want the guys number, let me know, he is based in drogheda.

Also, I don't think the waywell unit has a hard drive for music storage..could be wrong though.

EPM/Joe; thanks for helping me out, all sorted now:)

Edit: if your going for the Chinese unit.. The wd6050 is the one to get(your still taking a chance though),the newer ones are supposed to be full of bugs /problems..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Hi,

I considered a Chinese unit before I bought the rns..the waywell got the best reviews( one specific model -can't remember it off hand- but their other models are supposed to be rubbish). Nearly went for it as it works out around 400 Inc Bluetooth but in the end, after reading more reviews, the general view was that they are great for a year and then things start breaking..usually the DVD drive goes first.

Decided I'd buy the rns rather than end up buying twice which would be likely if I went with the waywell.

I paid 730 for the revision C unit with blutooth fully installed. If you want the guys number, let me know, he is based in drogheda.

Also, I don't think the waywell unit has a hard drive for music storage..could be wrong though.

Yeah, if you could PM me his number that'd be great.

Yeah, if you could PM me his number that'd be great.

Pm sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 DougieHowser

Hi,

Edit: if your going for the Chinese unit.. The wd6050 is the one to get(your still taking a chance though),the newer ones are supposed to be full of bugs /problems..

Sorry just new to boards and this thread but I just bought a new Scirocco and thinking of changing the head unit.

Was looking at the zenec one and the kenwood but both have their downsides imho.

Rns looks like the boy for me as I like the integration etc ... What do you reckon cost for fully fitted, with bluetooth and mdi unit in glovebox etc?

Mdi unit will give me full control of ipod from the unit right? Say if I stick the mdi in glovebox I can plug in my ipod lash it in the glovebox aswell and control it all from the touch screen? and also still have my iphone connected through bluetooth to the unit and stream audio from that should I want?

Last question! Where did you get yours?!

Thanks in advance!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Sorry just new to boards and this thread but I just bought a new Scirocco and thinking of changing the head unit.

Was looking at the zenec one and the kenwood but both have their downsides imho.

Rns looks like the boy for me as I like the integration etc ... What do you reckon cost for fully fitted, with bluetooth and mdi unit in glovebox etc?

Mdi unit will give me full control of ipod from the unit right? Say if I stick the mdi in glovebox I can plug in my ipod lash it in the glovebox aswell and control it all from the touch screen? and also still have my iphone connected through bluetooth to the unit and stream audio from that should I want?

Last question! Where did you get yours?!

Thanks in advance!

the kenwood wont integrate with the display in your cluster but it has the best ipod control of any of the units , so you just have to weigh it up

Yes. But if you're using bluetooth audio, it's handier to have the phone closer to hand than the glovebox, cos you'll need to change tracks directly on the phone. I find the bluetooth audio really useful... You can listen to podcasts, online radio stations, etc... I even streamed the audio from the Sky GO app (Jeff Stelling on Soccer saturday), while I was out washing the car one saturday afternoon :D

I got mine through a VW forum, a guy on there was selling them. I often see group buys running for them, every so often, e.g. http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=211445.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 DougieHowser

Yes. But if you're using bluetooth audio, it's handier to have the phone closer to hand than the glovebox, cos you'll need to change tracks directly on the phone. I find the bluetooth audio really useful... You can listen to podcasts, online radio stations, etc... I even streamed the audio from the Sky GO app (Jeff Stelling on Soccer saturday), while I was out washing the car one saturday afternoon :D

I got mine through a VW forum, a guy on there was selling them. I often see group buys running for them, every so often, e.g. http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=211445.0

Cheers for the replies,

So basically I can just order the head unit through one of the forums and then buy the mdi separately etc and get it fitted once it's delivered?

Does anyone know anyone in Ireland that "stocks" them so I could go have a look?

Also what's the latest version now?

Cheers

Cheers for the replies,

So basically I can just order the head unit through one of the forums and then buy the mdi separately etc and get it fitted once it's delivered?

Does anyone know anyone in Ireland that "stocks" them so I could go have a look?

Also what's the latest version now?

Cheers

Yes, you'd need to get the MDI and the bluetooth module separately. To be honest, I wouldn't be too bothered about the MDI. I hardly use it, I usually use either the BT audio or the RNS hard drive itself.

Latest version is "F". Mine is a version C, with LED screen (much brighter than the older non-LED screen).

I think all F has over ver C is a bigger HD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Very interesting thread lads but I have a question.

I'm buying a new Golf next year and I'm thinking of getting the Edition-R model. This includes bluetooth and the RCD510 radio as standard.

Is it possible to upgrade the RCD510 to include Sat-Nav?

Advertisement