Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

kearney13 wrote: »
    Ignition barrel gone in the aul caddy second time :/ its a lot of hassle having to start up your motor with a wire from the battery straight to the starter and you do get funny looks when its done outside your local centra haha!! getting a button put in it for it to start its more convenient and how cool is a button start aul caddy and its a cheaper and longer lasting fix :D

Reminded me when I got some funny looks when I was jumpstarting me own car. Battery is in the boot and because of the way the car was parked, i could only jump it from the battery terminal under the bonnet, which is located at the back of the block across a large engine bay.

Jump leads were about 1.5 feet too short, so got 3 sets of vice grips, clamped them all together off each other in series and attached them to the battery terminal. Current flowed through them no problem, success! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

kearney13 wrote: »
    Ignition barrel gone in the aul caddy second time :/ its a lot of hassle having to start up your motor with a wire from the battery straight to the starter and you do get funny looks when its done outside your local centra haha!! getting a button put in it for it to start its more convenient and how cool is a button start aul caddy and its a cheaper and longer lasting fix :D
    I had to do that with a polo I had. You can actually splice into the starter from the leads that go to the ignition barrel. I got a pic here somewhere if you want it?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭kearney13

barura wrote: »
    I had to do that with a polo I had. You can actually splice into the starter from the leads that go to the ignition barrel. I got a pic here somewhere if you want it?

Thanks but I had the button put in today its a grand fix, now to tackle the wiper problem the wipers just turn them selves on a lot its a loose fitting. I heard it a common problem in VW's only thing is the steering wheel has to come off and it might cause a problem with the airbag and the DOE is up soon so I think I should wait

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

319289_10150888625755176_805400175_21503599_545895433_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

What'd it fail on, lights?

• Advertisement

What'd it fail on, lights?

Nah, few little bits and pieces. One shock leaking.

It's silly some of the things on it, but I'd say about three hours and I'd have it ready to go :) Just funny to see two pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Nah, few little bits and pieces. One shock leaking.

It's silly some of the things on it, but I'd say about three hours and I'd have it ready to go :) Just funny to see two pages.

When I got the MPS, my mechanic told me that one of my rear shocks was leaking before I went for the NCT and it passed :confused:

When I got the MPS, my mechanic told me that one of my rear shocks was leaking before I went for the NCT and it passed :confused:

I had the shock the wheel of yesterday cleaning an abs sensor and it wasn't leaking >.>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Cleaned the inside of my car properly. Pretty happy with it. Exterior is well under way, but not finished yet!

308587_386360299942_507049942_1419081_446163409_n.jpg

316716_386360434942_507049942_1419082_1073919016_n.jpg

310856_386358839942_507049942_1419078_1033221114_n.jpg

Snapped my driveshaft!

Possibly should of believed the kinda folk at NCTS when they said it was about to snap, lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭gk5000

Changed rear wheel bearing. No press - Just bate the old one out, and the new one in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

I'd a great day yesterday, I was left to my own devices for most of it. :D
    Fitted a reverse parking sensor kit, changed the brake fluid, put in new blue tint headlight blubs and replaced the exhaust manifold gasket. There were a few good sized cracks in it so it was starting to get quite loud when I was accelerating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Snapped my driveshaft!

Possibly should of believed the kinda folk at NCTS when they said it was about to snap, lol.

Seriously?

I'm trying to wash my car today. Wheels are done but it's bucketing down now so can't do the body :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

You're on this same island today yes? :D

296655_10150269054177168_502737167_6768393_2076111967_n.jpg

VolvoMan wrote: »
    Seriously?

Yup, would post a pic but it's pissing rain, will get one if it stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

it fecking is! havent seen such bad rain in awile :D. car will get washed by it anyway! WOOT!

it fecking is! havent seen such bad rain in awile :D. car will get washed by it anyway! WOOT!

I had the wheels done and I felt sorry for the rest of the car so I just got soaked washing it! At least it's clean now.....until I drive out the gate!

I'm tempted to just wash mine in the rain, hasn't got a wash in a month...

Go for it! Best thing is you don't have to worry about doing 1 panel at a time like when the sun is out or drying it/wet waxing it afterwards :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

So was I until the wind blew the bucket and sponges all around the yard...

Oh well just go for a cure instead..

Go for it! Best thing is you don't have to worry about doing 1 panel at a time like when the sun is out or drying it/wet waxing it afterwards :D

Ah, but see, thn I'd get cold and wet, and probably get a chest infection from it cos I always fecking do. :mad:

also don't have any wax you can apply when wet...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

-Corkie- wrote: »
    So was I until the wind blew the bucket and sponges all around the yard...

Someone is sending you a message about using sponges.;)

:D

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

We should get used to doing that with all this talk of water chargesbiggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Bora - Front Strut Mounts
    25 mins per side
    Tools: -
    7mm hex
    22 mm spanner
    21 mm offset ring spanner
    Top strut nut from a 92-97 Passsat
    Method: -
    - Working with all wheels initially on the ground
    - plastic cap off
    - Top nut off using hex and 21mm, remove collar
    - Lower nut off using 21mm spark plug socket, 22mm spanner and 7mm hex as per pic
    - apply Passat nut and tighhten
    - wheel off the ground and push down on suspension
    - work mount off top of strut, replace with new
    - locate mount and reapply load
    - remove passat part as per above method
    - reapply originals
    - thnx to the uk-mkivs.net people

mountNutPartNumber.jpg

boraMountRemoveFirst.jpg

boraMountSocket.jpg

boraMountNutCompare.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

dropped the colt back to the garage.

was pissing me off... would rather walk in the rain (which i am !)

driving it the other day it was caughing from fuel starvation and ran out rolling into the garage :pac:

hehehe

LOL

299014_10150893084350176_805400175_21541777_289508130_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Washed the old girl yesterday.

On the plus side, it was in the underground carpark so the wet day didn't really effect things.

On the down side, it was in the underground carpark where there's so hoses, so had to carry down (about 40 meter walk and two flights of stairs) two 20 litre wash buckets, all the washing rags and bottles, and a 50L bin full of water to rinse it :(

Turned out beautiful though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Fiona

I apologised to my car as I drove her home through the floods! Mad out there :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

I set about some repairs to the Astra after a pretty heavy flood impact yesterday.

Removed the front bumper and refitted it as it was pulled off a couple of its clips, refitted the front fog light with a repaired bracket and repaired wires to the bulb socket.
    Also secured the wheel arch liners back in place.

Now I just need to visit the breakers to swipe the rubber splitter from another astra as that must have been left floating around somewhere!:mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement