Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Oh by new arrival I mean another car lol :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Gary ITR wrote: »
    After that I'll be on to the building of the car starting with seam welding, ya know the fun stuff :pac:

Yeah, sticks to anything :D - arms, shoulders, sides of the bath, the kettle, door handles. Any pics of the ITR work ? Sounds interesting.

Love reading this thread - don't have much going on myself at the moment, but I'll be painting an MX5 in a cocoon in the driveway at some stage in Spring. Getting some bad sills welded in the mean time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Gary ITR wrote: »
    Good work there dude. They are the jobs that will stand to you in the end
    I ended up removing all the interior this evening.

Nice bit of surface rust on parts of the floor and on the rear bulkhead panel.

Didn't have the time to sand it all down but I'll leave the air at it for a few weeks now to give it time to dry.

New bonnet release cable is required which is a bit of a pain as it runs the length of the car but t'will be worth it in the end.

Here is my old engine mount which I replaced for the obvious reason

IMG_1133.jpg

And my rusty floor

IMG_1123.jpg

And rear bulkhead panel

IMG_1131.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

So, NCT time.

When I put the Recaros into the Golf, the airbag connectors were different, so i didn't connect them = airbag light.

Finally said I'd go about it today, lifted up the passenger seat and for some reason decided to check would it fit, and it clicked straight in :rolleyes: Dunno what I was thinking. Delighted, I moved onto the driver side to find there was no connecter on the seat, which I think is why I didn't connect them in the first place.

So, down to the shed, snipped the connector off the original seat, brought the seat in to the kitchen table, snipped and joined a few wires and put the seat back in.

Also gave the battery a pre winter charge. Going to change the coolant (from water) to antifreeze tomorrow so I really hope it doesn't freeze over tonight.

I'll be getting it scanned tomorrow to clear the airbag light to see if my handy work did the trick, and also to see which ABS sensor I broke when fitting the coilovers (was a bit hammer happy, lol).

After that, fit a new bonnet holdy upy thingy, give her a service and book the test. I can't see it failing on much, tyres are good, there'll be no lights on. If anything it'll be the coilovers which are about 3 years old at this stage. time will tell!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Damokc

My alloys were looking really shabby with the lacquer on the polished lip peeling,flaking and causing white worm.The front two also had brake dust caked onto them.So I ground off the lacquer back to the metal and wet sanded the lip as much as I could to get some shine back. I then compounded the spokes to get the brake dust off. They're not perfect but they're a damn sight better than what they were at the start!
    6261868704_931e739f1d_m.jpg
    126 by Damien Casey, on Flickr
    6261343635_d162fd46cf_m.jpg
    127 by Damien Casey, on Flickr
    6261343235_1a31a2e057_m.jpg
    123 by Damien Casey, on Flickr
    6261344261_e1e50e6bf9_m.jpg
    125 by Damien Casey, on Flickr
    6261344021_e1ddda253c_m.jpg
    124 by Damien Casey, on Flickr

Any ideas on what I could use to seal them some bit again? I've read some other forums and people advise against lacquering them again as it wont last and will have to be sanded of again when the water gets inside it. Frost makes sh1te of it too.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Also gave the battery a pre winter charge. Going to change the coolant (from water) to antifreeze tomorrow so I really hope it doesn't freeze over tonight.

You had just water in there?:eek:
    Won't that corrode the channels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Sold them at last....

Rich again..:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I don't think using water can destroy an engine as much as people say.

I've come across several cars that have never seen a drop of coolant by their owners and are still going strong.

VolvoMan wrote: »

I've come across several cars that have never seen a drop of coolant by their owners and are still going strong.

'twould take a while, the engine would certainly show no ill effects for years and years and years once it didn't get too cold, the rad etc would rust quickly enough though.
    The Prelude I had was filled of rusty water, dunno how long it had been running on water only, I was afraid to flush it so just threw in a litre of coolant/antifreeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Towed the GTM Rossa to my Mother's garage. Have it side by side with the 84 Tripper in my Mother's garage. Got a huge surprise when I finally got to look at it up close, fitted with Spax fully adjustable suspension, uprated tie-rods and arms, HiLo suspension, new subframe, Porsche 944 seats. Everythings in pretty good order, but the bodywork needs a right going over.

The engine supposedly turns, but doesn't fire. So that's this weekend's game plan, throw in a gallon of fresh petrol, rebuild the carb, and then go prodding around to find out what's wrong. Once I get the engine done, I'll strip the interior out, and start prepping panels for paint.

294142_274472085926352_100000906872305_803830_64056638_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

You should see what the cooling channels etc look like when you strip the engine down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

You should see what the cooling channels etc look like when you strip the engine down!

Our S70 had a coolant leak for going on 8-9 years, meaning you couldn't keep the stuff in it and had to resort to topping it up with water all the time.

The engine was still sweet as a nut until it was laid up, so I hope there isn't any resulting damage as you say.

Well, it's fine 12,000 miles later, so I'm to too bothered.

Anywho, booked the test for Saturday at 1.30... Let the games begin :p

Our S70 had a coolant leak for going on 8-9 years, meaning you couldn't keep the stuff in it and had to resort to topping it up with water all the time.

The engine was still sweet as a nut until it was laid up, so I hope there isn't any resulting damage as you say.

9 years without any corrosion inhibitor and it's sitting idle now?
    I reckon there would be lots and lots of metal floating around in the system now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Just saw my car drive away from the garage. Off to rathdown Honda it goes :(

Hello 05 colt :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

robbie_998 wrote: »

Hope you noted your mileage. A certain garage put 100 miles up on my Prelude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

E39MSport wrote: »
    robbie_998 wrote: »

Hope you noted your mileage. A certain garage put 100 miles up on my Prelude.

I did ....... Also left it with them with the petrol warning light on too so haha on them !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

RoverJames wrote: »
    9 years without any corrosion inhibitor and it's sitting idle now?
    I reckon there would be lots and lots of metal floating around in the system now.

Not to mention water channels and rad silting up.
    You might get away with it, but it's madness and the reason why so many old classics overheat.
    Had a '73 Cortina with the 2 litre Pinto engine, was forever flushing, nothing but sh*t came out, still no good, rad ruined, heater matrix ruined.
    A friend has a Spittie of the same age, he spent days flushing the block, he reckons the last cylinder still gets no coolant.
    For the sake of saving 30p on coolant it's not worth destroying the engine, heater, radiator and god knows what else.
    Would never run an engine with water only, no more than I would put olive oil into my engine.
    Last time cars could be run on water was probably pre-50's.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Started work on the GTM this evening, and then stopped pretty quickly. Turns out there's no battery for a start, and the inside of the fuel tank's got a bit of rust. So tomorrow I'll get a battery for it and start work on the engine, and I'll flush the tank out properly and seal it up again. Plan is to get the engine running in the next week hopefully! Got a pleasant surprise as it's an SU carb setup, and electronic ignition rather than points. Less to go wrong (Which is a very good thing on a car which has no grounding points of it's own :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Serviced - oil, oil filter, airfilter and sparkplugs on the wife's Focus II. One thing I like the car is that everything is so easy to get at. Done in under half an hour. €62 for everything in the motor factors and that was with fully synthetic oil too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

NCT'd it, flew through :)

Hah! My wiring worked, airbag light gone.

Still have to sort the ABS but I didn't get a new one in time so I'll just throw it through tomorrow and see what else it fails on.

Sigh, slightly nervous. I'll be taking off the front splitter incase it hits off the rollers, lol.

Selling some scrap boss :pac:

314454_10150887127150176_805400175_21495687_957080695_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

What's the story with it being blue on the book and showing up primer white?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

EPM wrote: »

Ahahah, I think you just made him about a hundred times more nervous! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Serviced My car for the 1st time:) strapped for cash got all the bits for 32e (inc 5l Oil) handy when you know people lol :)

Took me less than 45mins and saved me a whole load:)

Also completed it by using the "how to service a car" in the DIY section here:)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭kearney13

Ignition barrel gone in the aul caddy second time :/ its a lot of hassle having to start up your motor with a wire from the battery straight to the starter and you do get funny looks when its done outside your local centra haha!! getting a button put in it for it to start its more convenient and how cool is a button start aul caddy and its a cheaper and longer lasting fix :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Serviced My car for the 1st time:) strapped for cash got all the bits for 32e (inc 5l Oil) handy when you know people lol :)

Took me less than 45mins and saved me a whole load:)

Also completed it by using the "how to service a car" in the DIY section here:)

Good man. Its great satisfaction aswell doing it yourself aswell as saving cash..

EPM wrote: »

Time shall tell! I was gonna give it a good clean out, but there be rain, and I be hungover.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

There's a dead ant at the bottom of the rev counter dial in the wife's Polo which is buggin' the hell out of me.

Can anyone tell me if it's a sealed unit or if there is a reasonably easy way (i.e. dis-assembly instructions) to get it out?

It's a 2010 mew model Polo.

Cheers

D-M.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement

Do-more wrote: »
    There's a dead ant at the bottom of the rev counter dial in the wife's Polo which is buggin' the hell out of me.

No pun intended :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement