Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Shower of feckers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

BDJW wrote: »
    That much? Balls :(
    My current tyres are 225/40/18

I just got 4 Dunlop SportMaxx for €145 each from fast fit in the same size. I've had a few sets of them and find them quite good.

EPM wrote: »
    I just got 4 Dunlop SportMaxx for €145 each from fast fit in the same size. I've had a few sets of them and find them quite good.

Ah our rubber expert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Gary ITR wrote: »
    Ah our rubber expert

Your ma prefers me not to use them.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

No experience with anything manly yourself Gary? :pac:
    RoverJames wrote: »
    experience with manly rings :eek:
    Gary ITR wrote: »
    Ah our rubber expert

great motoring forum this :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Manly rubber rings... have I stumbled into the Hemorrhoids forum by accident? Otherwise I'll have to get a bucket of water.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I spent about 4 hours washing and polishing my car last night, only to flood the f*ckin' engine first thing this morning. It's still sitting in the driveway. BALLS!

jenizzle wrote: »
    ............ only to flood the f*ckin' engine first thing this morning..............

How did you manage that?

I accidently turned off the car when I was moving my hand away from the key just after I started it :o Not a wise move when it comes to RX8's!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Jen,

Have you got the upgraded starter AND battery? A lot of RX8s out there have just the starter but it needs a 70Ah battery to work it properly.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Blew the turbo! (holds for round of cheers):D

Wooooohhhooooo!!!!!

Jen,

Have you got the upgraded starter AND battery? A lot of RX8s out there have just the starter but it needs a 70Ah battery to work it properly.

Yep, I have the battery. T'was entirely my own fault, I didn't shut it down properly last night :rolleyes: I'll get it up and going this evening :D It looks awesome in the driveway though !

Once the battery, starter, leads and coils are upgraded and you're using RE7C-L plugs and have good compression, you should be able to use it like a normal car.

When I did all this to mine I never once had any flooding trouble no matter what. It started perfectly each and every time with no hesitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

What car is that in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Today I checked my oil and coolant. Still there, apparently.

Once the battery, starter, leads and coils are upgraded and you're using RE7C-L plugs and have good compression, you should be able to use it like a normal car.

When I did all this to mine I never once had any flooding trouble no matter what. It started perfectly each and every time with no hesitation.

Engine is still flooded after trying for an hour and a half or so. :mad:

jenizzle wrote: »
    Engine is still flooded after trying for an hour and a half or so. :mad:

Crap! Did you ever get a compression test done on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I got bored. Should have been cleaning the house, but instead decided to refurb a wheel on my ex's car who was down visiting. Refurbed by a main UK BMW Dealer, and about 3 months later, all the paint flaked off. The best bit about doing it? I got to drink nice cold beer all the way through. Mmmmm. Beeeeer.

175666.JPG

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

All false alarm!
    Due to the fact that power was down by 80%, I simply assumed the turbo had packed up.
    But I was assured by friends that the turbo failing would be accompanied by massive clouds of smoke and bits being blown out of the exhaust, but that was not the case.
    An error code readout pointed at glowplugs, replaced all 4, still no joy.
    Then checked everything for continuity and leaks, and whaddayaknow, there was a faulty connection that was letting current leak to the block.
    Isolated the connection from the block, no more error code and full power is back!
    Phew!

• Advertisement

Owen wrote: »
    I got bored. Should have been cleaning the house, but instead decided to refurb a wheel on my ex's car who was down visiting. Refurbed by a main UK BMW Dealer, and about 3 months later, all the paint flaked off. The best bit about doing it? I got to drink nice cold beer all the way through. Mmmmm. Beeeeer.

175666.JPG

Did you drive the car on the Accelera tires? What do you think of them?

They're alright. Not great, not crap, noisy - but anything with a V shaped pattern on the treads seems to be noisy. They were a little skittish in the wet at the recommended PSI, dropped the fronts to 28, and the rears to 24 and the car's very stable in the wet now.

Getting some new rubber for the Smart this coming week. She needs rears, which are 205/45/16's, the fronts are different sizes though, something like a 175/55/16 - can't remember off the top of my head. Although, at the moment she steps out all the time in the wet which is so much fun I'd nearly put off new tires for a while if I really didn't have to get some :)

I have Accelera Phi on the ZT, they were on the 520i I had too, I find them quite good really. In the wet they can come unstuck on a roundabout if pressed but in a straight line they are fine even when slammed on. I'd get them again.

Inexpensive too - the set cost something like 330 ish fitted and balanced. Was well impressed at the time with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Spent about an hour earlier trying to get the old fcuking adhesive off the car that was used to stick the old numberplates on, then stuck the new ones on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,525 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Son de-badged the back of the Toledo,
    Stuck a set of JOM coilovers on it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

JOM coilovers are a great job!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

vectra wrote: »
    Son de-badged the back of the Toledo,
    Stuck a set of JOM coilovers on it then.

And you didn't take a pic?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,525 ✭✭✭✭vectra

And you didn't take a pic?

When the rain stops will post before and after ;)

• Advertisement

The Civic gone?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement