Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

Good old snow foam. Lots of fun to use but I find it's only good as a pre-wash really.

What are those DRLs ? They look nice and discrete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

franksm wrote: »

Are they Ford or aftermarket DRL's? The placement looks a little odd.

I did a boring thing to my car - swapped the head unit for the original. Need to get the RNS510 updated and properly programmed into the car so for the luxury of having audio controls again I took it out. Might just flog it.

247dc778.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

my puntie .... flushed 3 times cooling system with some chemicals .... disconnect heater matrix, and joint pipes, as there will be some time, until ill change matrix .. (very rusty inside ... no really heating any more) , changed water pump ... odd 50 euro ... thermostat with housing ... 25 euro for an original fiat part from ebay,... most important thing - adjusted timing properly using not only marks on crankshaft pulley and camshaft pulley , but also marks on flywheel ... wont believe how my punty is smooth on any rev range. he he .. like new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Mc Love wrote: »
    On "tuesday I did something to my car"

You didn't do a good job on the number plate :pac:

Last night I serviced (oil, oilfilter, airfilter and sparkplugs) my Micra and the mother's MINI. Had to bring out yard lights as its getting dark early. The summers' gone Joe! Mum was saying the lights were crap on her car....so looked at that and for some reason the drivers side had dropped and was pointing to the floor! So fixed that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

franksm wrote: »
    Good old snow foam. Lots of fun to use but I find it's only good as a pre-wash really.

Yeah I normally give the car a quick spray, then use the snow foam, then spray off the snow foam and give it a wash, then spray off suds etc, then dry and polish windows etc.

The DRL's are from MS Design. They look the business
    EPM wrote: »
    Are they Ford or aftermarket DRL's? The placement looks a little odd.

They were in the Ford catalogue but you had to purchase them from MS Design. I purchased them from Duncan Smith automotive in the UK after talking to stockroom lad in Cavanaghs of Charleville.

drls.jpg
    drlsindark.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

The background of that picture looks like a place awfully close to where I live haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Last night I serviced (oil, oilfilter, airfilter and sparkplugs) my Micra and the mother's MINI. .... Mum was saying the lights were crap on her car....so looked at that and for some reason the drivers side had dropped and was pointing to the floor! So fixed that too.
    Be careful with that, you could find that next week it'll be pointing at the sky!

The motors for aligning the headlights seem to be a little lazy in some first en MINIs. Herself's has a lazy drivers light, some days it doesn't want to do anything.
    Can you hear it moving when you turn the car on first - you should hear a whirring, and you'll see the beam moving if you turn the lights on as you do it.
    I think it might be dirt in the mechanism or a bad contact - neither light would respond to the switch inside the car when we got it first, they were pointed down to the ground as you saw on your mothers. Now both work most of time. I've heard frantic wiggling of the switch will wake them up?

I can recommend Osram Nightbreakers, herself is very happy with them in her MINI.

Thanks for that langdang....will have a look next time I'm at the homeplace. I can't remember if I heard the whirring but then the radio was on!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Spark plugs replaced yesterday, oil change and air filter the week before...which were only slightly insanely overdue >_>

Gearbox oil probably next week....

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

img20110731185032t.jpg

img20110731185017.jpg

The block is underneath covered by a bag to stop dirt falling in.

• Advertisement

Fine set of allen keys!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Discovered the Bora was damaged in Transit :mad:

Same colour paint residue as the transporter truck curiously...

boraDamage1.jpg

boraDamage2.jpg

I had already noticed it but couldn't confirm with the seller what the story was.

Just sending them a sn0ttogram.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

New window regulator arrived this morning, will stick her in today or tomorrow.

New wishbone for the Traxxas T-Maxx arrived today.

Haven't told my son yet that I crashed his RC into a kerb doing about 40mph :o Ended up on the E31 bonnet ! Damaged that also.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Changed the aerial on the car today.

Before:

photoacr.jpg

After:

photo1ig.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Any difference to the radio reception?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

E39MSport wrote: »
    New wishbone for the Traxxas T-Maxx arrived today.

Haven't told my son yet that I crashed his RC into a kerb doing about 40mph :o Ended up on the E31 bonnet ! Damaged that also.
    I had a few till the other day and I fcuked them in the bin:rolleyes:

New window regulator arrived this morning, will stick her in today or tomorrow.

Stupid bastards sent me a regulator for the other side of the car! Another week with a broken window and no door card. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

EPM wrote: »
    Any difference to the radio reception?

It's no better and no worse! I don't really listen to the radio though. This is mainly for aesthetics but it's good to know that I can still listen to it without a problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Serviced the car:

-Oil filter
    -Oil (VW507.00) using Mobil 1 ESP 5w30. Approx 55quid for 5litres in Halfords with the Axa card.
    -General suspension and CV boot check
    -Changed the pollen filter and cleaned the plenum chamber drains. They werent blocked but i was still very surprised how much debris was there.Even thou I ensure to clean them every second or third service.
    -Code scan via VAGCOM and reset service schedule .
    -Changed the aero wiper blades. I used Halfords refills. My recommendation is to avoid using these they are rubbish. The probile of the refill is different from the Bosch that it replaces which adds additional resistance and squeeks like a F**ker when in use. Added to this is that the rubber which is used to secure it to the Aero wiper arm is thinner and frequently manages to become dislodged. I soon after binned them!

Must get around to do the replace the microswitch in the drivers door when ever it drys up a little.....!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Today I put this on...thought of it on Monday night :P

img1192y.jpg

Oil and filter change, nothing as satisfying as having new oil in there. :)

Also desoldered and resoldered bad joints on my radio module.

Oil and filter change, nothing as satisfying as having new oil in there. :)

Also desoldered and resoldered bad joints on my radio module.

With you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Damokc

today I fitted spot lights. first time doing any electrics and they work!

E39MSport wrote: »
    With you :)

Bit overkill though, did my last change 4800 miles ago, still had a honey glow to it in the drain bucket. :D

Still, its not the amount of miles you do, its the type of miles you do and my journeys are all start/stop at lowish speeds, prefer doing the oil frequently.

What would a service cost you on a 728i? Just so I know when I finally fulfill my dream of owning one :P

Bit overkill though, did my last change 4800 miles ago, still had a honey glow to it in the drain bucket. :D

Still, its not the amount of miles you do, its the type of miles you do and my journeys are all start/stop at lowish speeds, prefer doing the oil frequently.

I do the same. Service my Micra every 5k kms and Laguna every 4.5k miles. Its what keeps 'em fresh! Its amazing how long people leave between oil changes. I know people who have gone 30k miles between oil changes and one brother would do 15k miles between services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 rocky112

I did this

261816_10150660250260176_805400175_19433562_6139493_n.jpg

It looks good...not bad...nice pic Limerick man:)

Er... It was far from finished there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I attempted to paint a towing eye cover for my car and made a dogs dinner of it! Turned out matte black :o and a bad matte black at that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement