Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

rocky112 wrote: »
    It looks good...not bad...nice pic Limerick man:)

A mate seen it the other day outside the Sydney opera house...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

-Corkie- wrote: »
    A mate seen it the other day outside the Sydney opera house...:pac:

O.o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

What would a service cost you on a 728i? Just so I know when I finally fulfill my dream of owning one :P

No more than any other car to be honest. I usually tip up to Prentice BMW in Portadown a few times a year and stock up on consumables, oil filters, air filters etc. Oil filter is around €12, air filter is around €30ish.

Get my Castrol 0w30 in Halfords whenever they do their special, can get enough oil for two changes for just over €120.

Brake fluid is regular Dot4, so about €12.99 for 1l (you'd need two litres though). You can use pretty much any modern coolant designed for aluminium radiators, no more than €20 again for 5 litres (takes 8 litres mixed 50:50).

I did all four discs, eight pads and wear sensors for about €500 (Again from up north with a small discount).

NGK plugs from dealer were cheaper than from Halfords if I remember rightly.

Nothing expensive about servicing these cars, its just BMW labour you need to be worried about.

(oh, apart from the Esso transmission fluid, €25 a litre, x10). :pac:

250 for tranny fluid :eek:

Aye and it only comes in 20l drums, they dont normally split it up, they happened to have 12 litres left in a drum, gave to to me for the bargain price of 10 litres. :D

Apparently VW sell the same fluid for cheaper, only found out after. Theres only two other approved fluids for the ZF box, however they're near impossible to find in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Got my Car ready for sale.

Washed every inch or her and Waxed her up.

Probably the last thing I will do to this car :(

Full?id=7847257
    Full?id=7847253

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Nice result. How does that trick work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I've done the heatgun trick before. The only downside is that it can sometimes look a bit blotchy.

Another thing that is supposed to be good for restoring bumpers in Linseed Oil, which you can pick up in any DIY store I think.

VolvoMan wrote: »

Another thing that is supposed to be good for restoring bumpers in Linseed Oil, which you can pick up in any DIY store I think.

Smooth peanut butter or Johnsons Baby Oil are meant to do the trick too, strangely enough. I can think of better uses for both :pac: :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

RoverJames wrote: »
    Smooth peanut butter or Johnsons Baby Oil are meant to do the trick too, strangely enough. I can think of better uses for both :pac: :p

Dirty fecker.:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Ewww, what you do in your own time is your own business...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73279173&postcount=2

Looks/sounds good. Will be getting some next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Ah come on now, peanut butter?! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Ah come on now, peanut butter?! :eek:

Yup. It's oily and works really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

I cried to my car today,

:mad:

photo0743s.jpg

That could just be condensation, is it on the dipstick?

What BMW engine is that? Mine was the same at Christmas time, was all my short journeys and cold weather.

What BMW engine is that? Mine was the same at Christmas time, was all my short journeys and cold weather.

Indeed may not be anything to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

:o:mad:

39ccd8bf.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

got a new battery, take that sluggish starts

• Advertisement

It's not on the dipstick thankfully, however, I have had overheating issues for a while now, I have changed the viscous coupling, fitted a new metal impellar w/pump and a new thermostat, and I am still getting overheating (sometimes),

I dont think im losing coolant (if i am its miniscule), it does have a very small amount of particles floating in the coolant though. My rad cap is new*, as is the radiator, new being: a year old

It's an m50b20, Im doing mostly short journeys i guess, with bi-weekly long runs.
    Indeed may not be anything to worry about.

I hope so, :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    God bless the person who said to use a heat gun to bring old bumpers back to life. The difference it made to my newly purchased KA is unreal.

Thank you :pac:

They turned out damn good :cool:

It's not on the dipstick thankfully, however, I have had overheating issues for a while now, I have changed the viscous coupling, fitted a new metal impellar w/pump and a new thermostat, and I am still getting overheating (sometimes),

I dont think im losing coolant (if i am its miniscule), it does have a very small amount of particles floating in the coolant though. My rad cap is new*, as is the radiator, new being: a year old

It's an m50b20, Im doing mostly short journeys i guess, with bi-weekly long runs.

I hope so, :(

Hmm, well here's mine from December:

gunk2.jpg

Could be just air in the system. Did whoever changed the radiator bleed it properly?

^ It has been drained & bled a few times now,

Its so odd, we cannot find real symptoms of hg faliure, yet, it overheats - the odd time!

it has me baffled and annoyed, so im just going to plough on and whatever happens, happens! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Nothing mental this week, just a set of flat wiper blades. Need new back tires though, but it's so much fun having the back step out in the wet. I'm gigging like a schoolgirl on a sybian in every corner! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Not something I did but just got new brake pads fitted front and back :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Ford Focus CMax, 06, 1.8 TDCI, oil, oil filter and airfilter.
    The engine cover underneath is an absolute swine to remove whilst crawling around on your back underneath it.
    And where the oil filter is? Ford was taking the piss.
    But practice makes perfect, gets a little easier every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Replaced a rear cracked light unit in the Toledo

I took the tint of the back window of the E30, pain in the hole. Also tried on some Azev A's that I no longer have a like for.

• Advertisement

Spent a few hours with my machine, which incidentally broke :(

293950_10150815169785176_805400175_21006145_1521302001_n.jpg

295906_10150815170185176_805400175_21006148_59893741_n.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement