Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Interesting stuff, i'd well believe it. In fairness, 11 years is pretty good going. But sometimes you have to scratch your head and wonder if using plastic in certain instances really is that much of a cost saver.

I mean if those pulleys were metal instead of plastic, how much more would that have cost? The pressure from the cable is immense, how they lasted this long is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I didn't actually do anything myself...

Got a full service today and a brake fluid change. Getting upgraded pads and lines soon but the brake fluid was changed too. The cars running very well right now and the the engine seems to be getting better with mileage.

Changed the tyres on the front to match the rear (Dunlop SP Sport Maxx that I've had 3 or 4 sets of at this stage). It showed me how crap the federals the garage put on when buying were. No wheelspin in 2nd, ample grip and a huge reduction in road noise and vibration. Feels like a different car. Also got a tyre place that matched camskill give or take a few squid. Passed a day off shopping around and got a good look at some winter tyres too and plenty of advice. Found that the best value generally was in the one man type of operations, although I didn't buy my tyres in one. The chains usually said a price and that was it.

Had a great laugh at one chain that told me Triangles were a decent mid range tyre and there was no need to go for federals again as it was money down the drain:rolleyes: €70 retail for a 225/40/18 is not going to end well.

Interesting stuff, i'd well believe it. In fairness, 11 years is pretty good going. But sometimes you have to scratch your head and wonder if using plastic in certain instances really is that much of a cost saver.

I mean if those pulleys were metal instead of plastic, how much more would that have cost? The pressure from the cable is immense, how they lasted this long is beyond me.

When I was getting a gearbox rebuilt the guy doing it said about 50 cents extra per box on better quality parts would have saved the hassle of all the failures that the particular model had:rolleyes:

EPM wrote: »
    When I was getting a gearbox rebuilt the guy doing it said about 50 cents extra per box on better quality parts would have saved the hassle of all the failures that the particular model had:rolleyes:

Nylon caged bearings instead of steel?
    As in the steel ones were a small bit more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Not today, but on Monday I said id give the car a good going over. Wash, de-bug/tar, wax, clean the wheels of breakdust etc and polish up those tires.

Wasnt hugely dirty to begin with but heres the before and afters:
    The attached files are the originals (very big), but heres some nice resized ones for ye.

Any recommendations for wax next time I give it go?

That's a very well kept A3.

Recommend Megs NXT 2.0 or Megs Carnuba Wax.

Currently have NXT 2.0 and a top layer of Carnuba on my car and it is beading beautifully for the last 5 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I changed my brake fluid. The stuff that came out of it was like hangover urine (that colour) with bits of black in it. The pedal responce is alot firmer now. I used a gunson eezibleed kit, well worth the money. :)

RoverJames wrote: »
    Nylon caged bearings instead of steel?
    As in the steel ones were a small bit more expensive.

It was to do with the bearings alright - I was more interested in the €€€€€ bit at the time tbh:(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I didn't actually do anything myself...

Got a full service today and a brake fluid change. Getting upgraded pads and lines soon but the brake fluid was changed too. The cars running very well right now and the the engine seems to be getting better with mileage.

Changed the tyres on the front to match the rear (Dunlop SP Sport Maxx that I've had 3 or 4 sets of at this stage). It showed me how crap the federals the garage put on when buying were.

Glad the car is running well bow for you.

Tarrants put Federals o nit and you accepted them :eek:
    They were on the 1.3 civic I have and were brutal in the wet,
    Did you get the new ones from Mike?

vectra wrote: »
    Did you get the new ones from Mike?

I was about to as they were the cheapest until I got a call from a place that offered them €30 each cheaper as they only had two left. I knew they wouldn't match that plus they only had one in stock yesterday. I might get two more off him for the back soon even though they don't need replacing for a good while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I was about to as they were the cheapest until I got a call from a place that offered them €30 each cheaper as they only had two left. I knew they wouldn't match that plus they only had one in stock yesterday. I might get two more off him for the back soon even though they don't need replacing for a good while yet.

let me know if and when you do call to him.. I will give you a shout down. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

315598_10150768562505176_805400175_20555915_7654681_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

How much did you roll it back by? :D

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote: »
    How much did you roll it back by? :D

Lol I met a fella before and he had 170,000 on his 320d, turns out it had been clocked twice before he bought it and he reckoned there was well over 240,000 on it. Mine has had one previous owner and there's only so many times you can go around Ireland in ten years :P

Do ya remember the famous silver ebay Volvo import that was outed on here many moons ago? :cool:

invest4deepvalue.com

Do ya remember the famous silver ebay Volvo import that was outed on here many moons ago? :cool:

No but there's a 08 Vectra OPC estate that was outted out one on the forums recently enough to have over three times the mileage on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

No but there's a 08 Vectra OPC estate that was outted out one on the forums recently enough to have over three times the mileage on it.
    I'll just leave this here.....
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2265218

Top of arrange... lol

johnos1984 wrote: »
    Link?

The original thread was pulled, but this thread relates to the same car, it got a haircut from 162,000 miles to 43,350 miles!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

What worries me is that according to that Speedo, you're on the move.
    (I'll get me coat)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

What worries me is that according to that Speedo, you're on the move.
    (I'll get me coat)

Don't be silly, he's just having the car dyno'd :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Today I found out my car is actually a very comfy cruiser. Drove from cork to Bangor and back in the same day and got home at 5am without a sore back!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Today I found out my car is actually a very comfy cruiser. Drove from cork to Bangor and back in the same day and got home at 5am without a sore back!

But.....it's not 5am yet? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

well...yesterday so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Daved_XB

Fitted new front disks & pads today... the wheel wobble finally got to bad to live with

IMG_2392.jpg

IMG_2393.jpg

IMG_2395.jpg

IMG_2396.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Changed out gearbox oil on my E36.. Was too tight doing it on the ground under a jack so brought it to the Pitlane.. Was very handy getting it up on a ramp..

Discovered my exhaust hanger is broken while under there..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Daved_XB wrote: »
    Fitted new front disks & pads today... the wheel wobble finally got to bad to live with

IMG_2396.jpg

I always spray the primed area around the hub on the disc with Werth alloy wheel paint, make it look much cleaner. Good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Confab wrote: »
    Don't be silly, he's just having the car dyno'd :P

you will have that coat wore out:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Today I did a lot to my '97 Laguna....will be doing around 600 - 1,000 miles next weekend in England so did the jobs I'd lined up to do but hadn't a chance until today

I've changed the oil, oilfilter, airfilter, pollen filter, sparkplugs, cleaned the throttle body housing and breather pipes, put on a new back exhaust box, replaced the brake caliper front drivers side as the rubber had perished and it was grabbing the disk slightly the last two weeks, replaced the pistons on the rear wheels because when I went to bleed them earlier this year both bleeding nipples sheared off! and put in fresh brake fluid and put a new alternator belt on the car too. Changed the fuel filter too. I also checked the gear oil level and tightened the nuts on the oil sump as its weeping a wee bit. Will replace the gasket soon and also spotted a small leak in the power steering hose so want to get it sorted too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

On "tuesday I did something to my car"
    foaming.jpg
    done.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement