Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

When you're quoting photo's please remove the tags either side of the link, or remove the link altogether.

Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

LOL! Thought the second picture of the bent brush was you showing the crap quality of said brushes :P

I saw that brush and thought it looked familiar...
    133609726921.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

BEADS!
    egqybk.jpg

BEADS! And a big key mark. :(
    Only a bit of it at that.
    280qs15.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

I feel your pain and it happens
    Every. Single. Fcuking. Time.
    Usually the first drops start to fall when I'm just finishing off polishing the last panel.
    You just can't have nice things in this country.
    I'm glad my CMax is covered in dents and scrapes.

Considering starting a thread on the benefits of owning a car that is technically in great nick, but the paintwork is totally fcuked.
    The feeling of not caring whether it gets dirty, scraped, wet, dinged in the car park or scraped of bushes on a narrow country lane is indescribable.

Get sandpaper and gravel, wreck the paintwork on your car and sit back and relax while others spend hours shining and polishing.
    Sure I wash it and even wax it, but I don't really care what happens then and only spend an hour max.
    Or just go to the car wash, who cares if it doesn't come out mint looking? it's clean enough and that's all that matters. Bliss.

I think that is my favourite thing about the Astra van, I used to be so paranoid about stone chips,marks etc etc with my previous cars.

Having said that...I spend 3 hours removing a scratch from Mrs Nissan Doctors car last week:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Me too the paintwork on my car is pretty immaculate so the day I will see scratches and dings, I will not be happy.. At all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

well... in Ireland people not give a feck about somebodies property, i had skyline few years ago, perfect body work, parked few times in public carpark , as far as possible , went with missus shopping, came back, two dents on rear quarter and passenger door, grrr... than after month somebody with bumper went in driver door/wing ... it didnt dent much, but paint was damaged, then in night time somebody keyed, after that i didnt care about body work, as it is unreal keep it good here.

Thats true, no one gives a crap, I saw a guy in a 2012 car smacking his door against a 98 corsa and not even giving it a second look!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Compton wrote: »
    Thats true, no one gives a crap, I saw a guy in a 2012 car smacking his door against a 98 corsa and not even giving it a second look!

Thats another example.... now i am driving avensis '98, all in dents and scrapes, and using it just for its main function .... bring me and my stuff from H to W and back . and as cheap as possible. that's it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Wow, if people don't even care about their own brand spanking new car, what hope do the rest of us have.

Thats it. A lot of people see a car as A to B and abuse the privilege. Another example was a woman in an 08 beemer using the wall as a stopping point instead of looking in the mirrors. No joke, I couldn't believe it, she reversed until she hit the wall and happily went on her way!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Thats it. A lot of people see a car as A to B and abuse the privilege. Another example was a woman in an 08 beemer using the wall as a stopping point instead of looking in the mirrors. No joke, I couldn't believe it, she reversed until she hit the wall and happily went on her way!!

Amateur. Everyone knows that you use a tow bar for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

I remember sitting in my mates civic coupe in town one day. This 'lady' pulls in beside us, opens the door and bangs it off my mates car. Mate kinda glared at her but said nothing. Then she bangs the door off his car a second time and got out. Mate lets down the window and says 'you can bang your door off it all day luv but you wont make any more room'

She muttered a sorry under her breath and walked off. The ignorance of some people is shocking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

sean1141 wrote: »
    I remember sitting in my mates civic coupe in town one day. This 'lady' pulls in beside us, opens the door and bangs it off my mates car. Mate kinda glared at her but said nothing. Then she bangs the door off his car a second time and got out. Mate lets down the window and says 'you can bang your door off it all day luv but you wont make any more room'

She muttered a sorry under her breath and walked off. The ignorance of some people is shocking

That happened to me too but I won't put up what I did in retaliation...

Rain effects my van's driving ie won't rev up properly, full boot to get it to go (I really don't know why, lack of engine covers and low filter I think) so after last night I went for a good drive down the motorway earlier followed by a spirited country road drive. Best cure for a sickly car :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Took Friday off as I had a few things to do to both my chariots and the use of a ramp (four day weekend, woo-hoo!). Brought both of my tanks up to my buddy's workshop and got them up on the ramps:
    524997_10150934397238221_800922478_n.jpg

Idler arm worn on both the 7er and the T/A. With the 7er you can just replace the bushing (€20) but with the T/A you have to replace the whole part, €40 including shipping so not too bad. While my buddy did the 7er I attended to the T/A.

Old Idler Arm (which is a proper cnut to get off!):
    550418_10150934399068221_1773471456_n.jpg

New:
    545168_10150934397643221_1945426130_n.jpg

Also had a new ABS sensor to be fitted to the 7er which I picked up for £22.50 plus shipping but it turns out they sent one for a pre-facelift E38. :mad: Can't complain too much at that price TBH as I was quoted €120 for the same part here.

I then got a drill with a wire brush attachment and scoured the underneath of the T/A then schultzed it like a MF! :)

Before:
    556734_10150934393993221_738838220_9686016_2125306362_n.jpg

After:
    542472_10150934396873221_738838220_9686028_771771936_n.jpg

Went on the batter pretty much all the weekend and then washed and polished the T/A in preperation for this event next weekend:
    b_350_350_16777215_0___media_kunena_attachments_62_GAScc_flyer_2012.jpg

Result:
    550513_10150802898390834_192109431_n.jpg
    555230_10150934393568221_2123531692_n.jpg
    547414_10150934378458221_900136544_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Another year older today (me and the car!) While it was dry I though I'd get another bit done before I have a drinky!

Done the bottom hald passanger door & rear quarter

BEFORE:

img1074bs.jpg

AFTER:

img1079xh.jpg

BEFORE:

img1075f.jpg

img1076p.jpg

AFTER:

img1082dy.jpg

SIDE BY SIDE:

img1081fg.jpg

BEFORE:

img1086th.jpg

AFTER:

img1090oz.jpg

SIDE BY SIDE:

img1088k.jpg

img1083g.jpg

Arch Scrape:

BEFORE:

img1097zx.jpg

AFTER:

img1106z.jpg

Rear Ven (This was VERY hard to buff):

BEFORE:

img1091ar.jpg

img1095oh.jpg

AFTER:

img1105rd.jpg

END RESULTS:

img1100p.jpg

img1101qs.jpg

img1102mm.jpg

Ahead of me....near the end though :)

img1112q.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Just held the alloy up to the car earlier on to see what it was like. I really wont know until they are fitted whether I like them or not. I will either love it or hate it.

ca442.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Thats a cool pic!

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Thats a cool pic!

I dont think tyres with that profile would suit irish roads! :pac:

conzymaher wrote: »
    I dont think tyres with that profile would suit irish roads! :pac:

Them's spray-on tyres alright.:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Conzy, those wheels will look unreal! Need to do a job on mine...or replace them all together!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,998 ✭✭✭cena

MCMLXXV where you get the last from. Is it an import. Would love one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

cena wrote: »
    MCMLXXV where you get the last from. Is it an import. Would love one of them

The Firebird?

It's in the country many years now.

There's a couple for sale here at the moment for small money but both need work and paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

Out with the old and in with the new (gave it a full service today):
    2012-06-02140228.jpg
    Taking it to an LPG mechanic next week to get the gas system a once over to make sure it's all ship shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,438 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What is that? Toyota of some sort with a v6?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

Ya, V6 Landcruiser. 4.5ltr engine with an after market 60ltr LPG tank.

Ya, V6 Landcruiser. 4.5ltr engine with an after market 60ltr LPG tank.

attachment.php?attachmentid=19805&d=1331244017

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

Wow, if people don't even care about their own brand spanking new car, what hope do the rest of us have.

kinda makes it depressing to have people spend so much time and effort on detailing if this is the result.

kinda makes it depressing to have people spend so much time and effort on detailing if this is the result.

Your telling me .. Think someone's shot the side of the car a few times with a pellet gun ...grrrrr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Fiona

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Went on the batter pretty much all the weekend and then washed and polished the T/A in preperation for this event next weekend:
    b_350_350_16777215_0___media_kunena_attachments_62_GAScc_flyer_2012.jpg

I was only here yesterday having my dinner! Nice food!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement