Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭fanadman1

sean1141 wrote: »
    Its easier damage paintwork with a rotory than with a DA but as long as you keep it moving you will be ok. Maybe buy an old wing from a scrap yard and practice on that

thanks for that :) will it be more effective at geting scratchs out or is the da better for that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

fanadman1 wrote: »
    thanks for that :) will it be more effective at geting scratchs out or is the da better for that ?

Rotory will be better than a DA but as I said its easier to b urn the paint with the rotory

Rotory will be better than a DA but as I said its easier to b urn the paint with the rotory

so just keep sweeping with it and dn't let it stop :L
    where would u get the hex pads and mersamena

www.cleancar.ie

Thats where I get all my stuff. Very helpfull lads and very quick delivery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

I like the drums dgt! Smurf blue is it? :D

you cant please everyone. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

BDJW wrote: »
    Have you tried using a claybar on it?

Im having the same hand print problems, their a hoor to get off, (most of them are on the passanger side) So coming from some sort of moisuriser i imaginge, Got a clar bar at the weekend, went wrong with it... No joy though :mad:

www.cleancar.ie

Thats where I get all my stuff. Very helpfull lads and very quick delivery

one last question thanks so much for this help btw !!
    are the will one backing plate do and just keep changeing pads ?
    and do they thread on like a nut ? just to be sure it will fit mine

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

It is very easy to destroy your paint with a rotary.
    DA is much simpler to use and can give super results. Although it could take longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Two machine polishes (with DA), alloys repainted and black trim repainted (ok so it took me 3 days) :rolleyes:

IMG_1185.jpg
    IMG_1189.jpg

It shows up great with all the work you put into it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

HungryJoey wrote: »
    Two machine polishes (with DA), alloys repainted and black trim repainted (ok so it took me 3 days) :rolleyes:

IMG_1185.jpg
    IMG_1189.jpg

Love them coupes. What product did you use for polish?

one last question thanks so much for this help btw !!
    are the will one backing plate do and just keep changeing pads ?
    and do they thread on like a nut ? just to be sure it will fit mine

the one backing plate will do for each size of pad. i think they are astandard fitment for roatory

http://www.cleancar.ie/65-m14softvelcrobackingplate.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

fandaman - I would strongly advise you to use a D/A instead of a rotary especially since you've only been using an Aldi/Lidl buffer up to now. Much more can go wrong with a rotary.

Also, it's often been said that rotary polishers leave buffer trails and the only way to get rid of these is with a D/A so why use the 2 when the D/A on its own will give you the same results?

fandaman - I would strongly advise you to use a D/A instead of a rotary especially since you've only been using an Aldi/Lidl buffer up to now. Much more can go wrong with a rotary.

Also, it's often been said that rotary polishers leave buffer trails and the only way to get rid of these is with a D/A so why use the 2 when the D/A on its own will give you the same results?

i've been hand polishing up untill now
    i did a little late last night on a scrap car we have lyin around
    i find that its very hard to keep the rotary moveing if u keep it flat on the paint work :/ i might just invest in a da :/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Dgt might have some blue left over if you want to do some colour matching on your calipers :pac:

Looks sweet as! Fair play.

OSI wrote: »
    These just arrived.
    some new number plate LEDs that hopefully won't crap out or give an error message like the last lot.

If you do get the error. Do what I did.
    Solder the festoon bulb to the led.
    Sorted ;)

OSI wrote: »
    Haha, yeah I was tempted to with the last ones, but then one of them started flickering like a mad yoke. Took it out and there was a load of corrosion on the back of the LEDs despite being bone dry :confused::confused:the guys on the MK5 forums say the XTec one's work error free so we'll see.

I am all ears ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

the one with some yellow bristles and some gold ones ?
    its brilent to be fair i just needed the nail brush to get into the tighter spaces :P
    i accly lifted a little dog hair 2 from a day ours ran away and i had to put him in the car

That's the one :) Worth every cent, I'd be picking those hairs out yet if I didn't have it!
    No excuse. :p

Sure if it looks awful with alloys (which it probably will :pac:) I have black hammerite as a backup :) But the calipers stay blue :D

Or maybe big red feck off drums.... Nah :P

dgt wrote: »
    Sure if it looks awful with alloys (which it probably will :pac:) I have black hammerite as a backup :) But the calipers stay blue :D

Or maybe big red feck off drums.... Nah :P

Hammerite, does that need primer and clear aswell or just spray on the hammerite?

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Hammerite is painted on and you could paint it straight onto rust. Just a quick run of a wirebrush and one coat of Hammerite is all thats needed

• Advertisement

conzymaher wrote: »
    Hammerite is painted on and you could paint it straight onto rust. Just a quick run of a wirebrush and one coat of Hammerite is all thats needed

Thats cool, and if you used say halfords high temputer paint, I heard you need serton primer and clear? Is that correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Yesterday I did something to my car by buying a bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Thats cool, and if you used say halfords high temputer paint, I heard you need serton primer and clear? Is that correct?

My dad used red high temp paint from halfords on his engine block, painted it straight on. The blue caliper paint is halfords too, also straight on

Image1760.jpg
    Image1859.jpg
    Image1860.jpg

Cheers, its good to know these things. :)

Love them coupes. What product did you use for polish?

Cheers mate. First polish I used was 3M cutting compound to remove most imperfections and the second polish was a lighter finishing Menzerna compound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Not so much doing something to it, but I both hammerite to paint the calipers and some more tyre shine

Cheers mate. First polish I used was 3M cutting compound to remove most imperfections and the second polish was a lighter finishing Menzerna compound.

Did you not seal it afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

So after cursing the handprints on the paint work everytime i saw them and thinking up even more inventive insults everytime i tried to get rid of them, I finally did today. I wont double post the pictures so the posts below :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78967112&postcount=11

vectra wrote: »
    Did you not seal it afterwards?

A Layer of Turtle wax and Dodo :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Was reading about a major cause of rust in MR2s...if water gets into the sponge (for sound deadening AFAIK) it causes moisture and serious rust..I've pulled the sponges out for good.

I'm trying to avoid THIS (not mine) and replace the sills:

IMAG0473.jpg

Whats the verdict on the below....what should I treat it with?

Cheers.

Tbar leak here (Passenger side) - so expected some surface rust here.

img1052w.jpg

Took foam out passenger side:

Uh-oh :(

img1061jd.jpg

Checked - not too bad seems surface mainly...a bit up the side where you cant see in the photo

img1058bn.jpg

img1060q.jpg

Drivers side clean! Could get a proper look or photo but looked OK.

img1063ae.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement