Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

It's back to life once more :cool:

Spotless inside (except for the windowlene on the seat and grass in the footwell)
    Image2057.jpg

Go my lights fixed
    Image2058.jpg

Just for shíts and giggles
    Image2059.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

dgt wrote: »
    It's back to life once more :cool:

Spotless inside (except for the windowlene on the seat and grass in the footwell)
    Image2057.jpg

What Punto is that? Do all Punto's have that interior? I like it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That's a punto sporting

Main differences inside is the other models don't have the silver bits, or the nice steering wheel, or the integrated stereo, the seats are a bit nicer, but not drastically different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Daniel S wrote: »
    What Punto is that? Do all Punto's have that interior? I like it :)

Punto Sporting, has a slightly different interior to most Puntos eg centre console, cd changer, sports seats, aircon etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Today I hoovered the interior and washed and clayed the exterior.
    Hoping to polish and seal the paintwork in the morning, along with cleaning the windows and using a bit of back to black on some of the trim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Treated the car to an aircon service this morning. Bit nippy in her now :)

BDJW wrote: »
    Today I hoovered the interior and washed and clayed the exterior.
    Hoping to polish and seal the paintwork in the morning, along with cleaning the windows and using a bit of back to black on some of the trim

And my plan went perfectly this morning. And of course, after about 5 and a half hours cleaning over last night and this morning, it decides to start lashing rain this afternoon :mad::(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

And my plan went perfectly this morning. And of course, after about 5 and a half hours cleaning over last night and this morning, it decides to start lashing rain this afternoon :mad::(

I feel your pain and it happens
    Every. Single. Fcuking. Time.
    Usually the first drops start to fall when I'm just finishing off polishing the last panel.
    You just can't have nice things in this country.
    I'm glad my CMax is covered in dents and scrapes.

Considering starting a thread on the benefits of owning a car that is technically in great nick, but the paintwork is totally fcuked.
    The feeling of not caring whether it gets dirty, scraped, wet, dinged in the car park or scraped of bushes on a narrow country lane is indescribable.
    Get sandpaper and gravel, wreck the paintwork on your car and sit back and relax while others spend hours shining and polishing.
    Sure I wash it and even wax it, but I don't really care what happens then and only spend an hour max.
    Or just go to the car wash, who cares if it doesn't come out mint looking? it's clean enough and that's all that matters. Bliss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

I feel your pain and it happens
    Every. Single. Fcuking. Time.
    Usually the first drops start to fall when I'm just finishing off polishing the last panel.
    You just can't have nice things in this country.
    I'm glad my CMax is covered in dents and scrapes.

Im not trying to be cheeky or anything like that, but ye not have a shed or garage?

Im not trying to be cheeky or anything like that, but ye not have a shed or garage?

I park in an underground carpark. However, that makes sweet feck all difference when I want to drive anywhere!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I have a garage where the MX5 is kept, so that is relatively safe, but alse see quote below.
    And, as I said already, the CMax is a workhorse and I don't care about it's appearance, so peace of mind there.
    I park in an underground carpark. However, that makes sweet feck all difference when I want to drive anywhere!!!!

Indeed and it doesn't. And I live in the country, so you can add cowsh*t and tar into the equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I know you live in the countryside, but do you think everyone has a garage or shed big enough for a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Dedided to give a bit of attention to the e36 again this morning. I tackled the rear trailing arm bushes & fitted a few bits & pieces that I d brought (aerial grommet, various clips & a new air duct. The tool for the RTABs I had bought made that job easy. It worked really well at removing the bush, other tools I have seen don't do such a good job at removing the bushes. Here's the story in pictures:
    ffd5e983.jpg

I changed this aerial grommet (& aerial mast) about 4-5 years ago, can you believe it ended up like this?

e6012ee6.jpg

80c8809e.jpg

77794697.jpg

The old bush, a sorry state:
    17e82fa6.jpg

Squeezing the old bush out:
    dfd6daa7.jpg

Pressing the new bush in:
    434b5037.jpg

One new bush alongside the old one:
    61df16c8.jpg

Parting shot:
    8de9e958.jpg

It definitely drives much better, the rattle going over bumps is now gone. I plan on getting the rear wheel alignment checked as soon as I can to be sure all is in order. I cannot believe I left this job so long.
    Thanks for looking.

Jimdagym wrote: »
    I know you live in the countryside, but do you think everyone has a garage or shed big enough for a car?

No, But I was in dublin afew times and seen houses with a garage.

But I wasnt trying to be a pr1ck or anything, so dont get me wrong....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Was reading about a major cause of rust in MR2s...if water gets into the sponge (for sound deadening AFAIK) it causes moisture and serious rust..I've pulled the sponges out for good.

img1061jd.jpg

Checked - not too bad seems surface mainly...a bit up the side where you cant see in the photo

img1060q.jpg

I grabbed some underseal as I heard it was better for what I'm trying to achieve here...any ideas?

Picked up in Halfords earlier..

img1073sd.jpg

Done the weekly shop in aldi and spotted a ,woodcare brush set' for €3

img1071jn.jpg

The angled brush is ideal for this job and makes it simples :).. ..tried the straight brush and it was tough to use in the small space especially with my Mars bar fingers

img1069i.jpg
    First Coat dry (Kurust)

img1065lc.jpg

Second coat on (Kurust)

img1066z.jpg

Will seal with the waxoyl tomorrow if I've time. Haven't checked the drivers side yet I jammed my hand in and it was all clear but may as well stick the waxoyl in there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

LOL! Thought the second picture of the bent brush was you showing the crap quality of said brushes :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

LOL! Thought the second picture of the bent brush was you showing the crap quality of said brushes :P

:pac: They seem solid..well for the money paid anyway :cool:

A god send that brush was is all I'll say!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭shanec1928

imagesig.jpg
    and a bit of beading from some liquid wax.
    imageqbi.jpg

^ It seems to me that Sligo people have the best beeds.. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Weather permitted so attacked the vRS.

DA & Hex Loxic Medium ( orange ) Pad & Medium cut Menz.
    Gave it a good few passes as the sun was shining nicely and showing up any light swirling that was on the paint.

Finished this with Hex Loxic Polishing ( Black ) Pad & Menz finishing polish.

Gave it a coat of Car lack Long Life Sealant with damp applicator.
    > 15 minutes later wiped off ( and I mean wiped off.. Nice to use )

15 minutes later applied second coat and allowed 15 minutes drying and buffed off again.
    Now to leave it for 48 hours ( or 72 when the rain decides to stop )
    Will top it off with another coat of LL ( Possibly allow longer drying time?? )

To sum it up, it is now Raining with the past 13 hours and I am liking what I am seeing.

I may put a coat per week over the next few weeks and top it off then with a coat of Collinite 845,
    Will try to get a couple of pics tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I'd say the beading is biblical with all this rain :).
    Collinite845.jpg
    Pic just for illustration. I wish that was mine heh.

Hal1 wrote: »
    I'd say the beading is biblical with all this rain :).
    http://www.southernsoot.com/Collinite845.jpg
    Pic just for illustration. I wish that was mine heh.

Oh, I must admit them beeds are biblical alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

vectra wrote: »
    Weather permitted so attacked the vRS.

DA & Hex Loxic Medium ( orange ) Pad & Medium cut Menz.
    Gave it a good few passes as the sun was shining nicely and showing up any light swirling that was on the paint.

Finished this with Hex Loxic Polishing ( Black ) Pad & Menz finishing polish.

Gave it a coat of Car lack Long Life Sealant with damp applicator.
    > 15 minutes later wiped off ( and I mean wiped off.. Nice to use )

15 minutes later applied second coat and allowed 15 minutes drying and buffed off again.
    Now to leave it for 48 hours ( or 72 when the rain decides to stop )
    Will top it off with another coat of LL ( Possibly allow longer drying time?? )

To sum it up, it is now Raining with the past 13 hours and I am liking what I am seeing.

I may put a coat per week over the next few weeks and top it off then with a coat of Collinite 845,
    Will try to get a couple of pics tomorrow

Whilst I cannot fault your effort and unsurpassed dedication to detailing, surely a layer of quality wax is plenty for a nearly new car?

Personally, the mental anguish and effort that I went through trying to restore mine is not something I want to repeat even to a small extent, even every 6 months!

Whilst I cannot fault your effort and unsurpassed dedication to detailing, surely a layer of quality wax is plenty for a nearly new car?

Personally, the mental anguish and effort that I went through trying to restore mine is not something I want to repeat even to a small extent, even every 6 months!

I am not sure if I would call it perfection or dedictation.

Or stupidity. :o

Just not sure if I am a lover of wax so going down the sealer route for a couple of weeks first..

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Thought you had it sold?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Thought you had it sold?

I have, But why would that stop me from looking after it until I hand it over?
    I will most likely fully detail it the day before I hand it over. That's just the way i am with my cars. :cool:

OH,
    BTW,
    It is not being handed over until end September, It is only "Sale Agreed" for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I have, But why would that stop me from looking after it until I hand it over?
    I will most likely fully detail it the day before I hand it over. That's just the way i am with my cars. :cool:

OH,
    BTW,
    It is not being handed over until end September, It is only "Sale Agreed" for now.

What dis you buy to replace it???

-Corkie- wrote: »
    What dis you buy to replace it???

Nothing yet. Decisions are being made.
    Most likely another vRS :P

Thinking of flying to the UK to view a Rally Green one
    :o

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Oh, I must admit them beeds are biblical alright...

When you're quoting photo's please remove the tags either side of the link, or remove the link altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Most likely another vRS :P

Thinking of flying to the UK to view a Rally Green one
    :o

Knew it...

:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement