Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

engine bay, before/ during and after. tools used. the detergent reacted with the top of the rad and intercooler piping and left a chalky ****e on it that i cant get rid of :(

photo04932.jpg
    photo04952.jpg
    photo04982.jpg
    photo05002.jpg

interior all clean

photo04692.jpg

and a few of the outside :D

photo04902.jpg
    photo05062.jpg
    photo05082.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 73,413 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Lovely car andy, apart from those extra graphics

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Andy, any chance of an engine bay cleaning walk through?
    Mine's an absolute mess but I'm not sure where to start. :o

Don't know what to cover/remove after the battery and is that just alloy cleaner you used?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

CianRyan wrote: »
    Andy, any chance of an engine bay cleaning walk through?
    Mine's an absolute mess but I'm not sure where to start. :o

Don't know what to cover/remove after the battery and is that just alloy cleaner you used?

Any APC is your best bet...lads on detailing world swear by the Tesco own brand stuff.

Main thing to be careful about is getting water into the spark plugs and alternator

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Lovely car andy, apart from those extra graphics

thanks :) all the white writing is OEM, though the white text on black is a little loud its how it originally looked.

as for the graphic on the front windscreen... meh, very on the fence over it. takes away from the originality mucho.

• Advertisement

........ any chance of an engine bay cleaning walk through?............

WD40 all electrical looking yokes, spray Autoglym degreaser on the engine, agitate with an ole paint brush, hose off avoiding the starter and alternator and any boxes of tricks. Tyre foam shtuff on the plastics after you dry it with rags. Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Any APC is your best bet...lads on detailing world swear by the Tesco own brand stuff.

Main thing to be careful about is getting water into the spark plugs and alternator

Would sealing around the plug boots with electrical tape and wrapping the alternator with a black bag do it?
    Might take a crack at this tomorrow along with the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Would sealing around the plug boots with electrical tape and wrapping the alternator with a black bag do it?
    Might take a crack at this tomorrow along with the rest.

Yup should do it..APC for plastics should I say...further to RoverJames post a degreaser is probably needed for you...I used brake/clutch cleaner stuff on a primera and it shifted oil no problems.

@ cianryan and eringobragh

dont buy my advice, im an engine cleaning pikey :P i just get in there with the hose.

i used very harsh alloy wheel detergent this time, but as above, i would generally use tesco's own brand "Daisy APC", spray it on 1:1, dampen it lightly, work it in with a brush and then rinse.

my only 3 rules of thumb are to

- wash the engine while its running so if something starts to go wrong, i can see the engine react and stop what i'm doing

- spray WD40 on all the electrical connections when your finished rinsing the bay

- keep every cleaning agent/ water and WD40 away from the aux belts or it can be a nightmare.

If you use a garden hose you can just avoid spraying the areas, it would take an awful numpty to fill plug holes with water using a garden hose carefully. Black bag over the alternator and starter would be no harm is they are easy to get at.

• Advertisement

andyseadog wrote: »
    thanks :) all the white writing is OEM, though the white text on black is a little loud its how it originally looked.

as for the graphic on the front windscreen... meh, very on the fence over it. takes away from the originality mucho.

The 1300 intercooler turbo one, never seen that before, you sure it's OE?

The 1300 intercooler turbo one, never seen that before, you sure it's OE?

always open to correction :) came as part of a set i ordered which had every replacement vinyl in it for a 98 model, may not be on them all, i hadn't seen it before either, just took for granted.

always open to correction :) came as part of a set i ordered which had every replacement vinyl in it for a 98 model, may not be on them all, i hadn't seen it before either, just took for granted.

Just the font doesn't look very Toyota. Shouldn't the rear badge say Glanza V?

Just the font doesn't look very Toyota. Shouldn't the rear badge say Glanza V?

indeed it should, i was hoping that wouldn't be spotted though :p its the very same dimensions as the front bumper one, but they whole set was only €14 so how bad i suppose.

i'l do a bit more research into the "1300" badge on TOC and see what it turns up.

indeed it should, i was hoping that wouldn't be spotted though :p its the very same dimensions as the front bumper one, but they whole set was only €14 so how bad i suppose.

i'l do a bit more research into the "1300" badge on TOC and see what it turns up.

That Toyota parts website that shows the part numbers etc would tell you too I'd say

Toyodiy.com

was just browsing that there, very very good for a free rescource.

not looking good for the 1300's though, think im confusing them with the "Glanza S Limited" emblem. the one you can see above the moulding on this car

03.jpg

Yeah, that site seems to have all the variations on it.

Aside from that, it looks a bit wrong either way, I'd be getting the hair dryer out

Yeah, that site seems to have all the variations on it.

Aside from that, it looks a bit wrong either way, I'd be getting the hair dryer out

i'm seeing what your saying for sure. at this stage im just trying to dodge taking a credit card to my new stickers. its for the greater good though. want this car to be oem original.

. want this car to be oem original.

I'd be going for grey decals and the slightly raised badge for the grille in that case, the white decals may well have been OE (I didn't think they were, but I'm no glanza expert) but they don't look right.

Car has massive potential for very little work.

• Advertisement

Ah its sound advice with the side ones, but the rest will be staying, i should re-phrase it to i want it OEM on a student budget :P so very close to correct will have to do :pac:

spent my savings on the glanza because i couldn't shift the vectra and i knew the glanza would be sold before i could get rid of it. so i have zero money to brun until the veccy is gone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Gave mine a wash, a coat of Autoglym HD wax and sealed it up with Chemical Guys V7. Might use some Chemical Guys Blacklight on it later too

My wheels will be going a dark bronze very soon, they are impossible to clean at the minute, the finish on them is awful

385672_10150879621237825_744852824_9717349_618039296_n.jpg
    536284_10150879634667825_1882015798_n.jpg

For the glass I've been using 3m glass cleaner which I find excellent, I found the bottle though and have no idea where it can be bought, anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Gary ITR wrote: »
    For the glass I've been using 3m glass cleaner which I find excellent, I found the bottle though and have no idea where it can be bought, anybody know?

Tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

Getting the sister's MX5 ready for it's MOT in Belfast, I picked a great week to borrow it for tooling around Dublin :D

Anyway, today I replaced the two steering tierods - they're only on the car a year/4,000 miles yet the rubber boots are completely perished. They were from Autolink.co.uk, the new replacements are proper Mazda items albeit at twice the price of the AUTOLINK items. Lesson learned: buy cheap, buy twice

th_IMG_1270.jpg

Here's a lower balljoint also from AUTOLINK that's been sat in the shed for the past year: even its boot has gone bad !! Aaargh

th_IMG_1268.jpg th_IMG_1267.jpg

Also replaced its radiator and fan with a setup from IL Motorsport.

th_IMG_0894.jpg th_IMG_0892.jpg

746_36424203508_660493508_1104774_9207_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭fanadman1

polished and waxed my car today
    my god it was a tight job i had parked the car in the shade of a house but by the time i had polished and aplyed the wax the sun had move that wax set like a rock
    i had to rub it of first with a polishing cloth then use a micro fiber to finnish the job

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭W0bble5

Changed the pollen filter on the car today. First time in its 6 year life. It was manky :eek: and managed to fix the light in the glovebox while I had it out. It never worked and always annoyed me. The bulb had just moved so happy days!

Also changed the oil filter with the right one after getting the wrong one last week when doing a service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭allen175

Today I actually done something to me car, I got a new mirror that someone broke off my car. Nissan quoted me 155 euro for a new mirror :eek: so went and got one from a breaker for 30 euro. Wasn't very hard to replace, had the whole thing done in 30 mins.

Before:
    IMAG0323.jpg

Middle:
    IMAG0326.jpg
    IMAG0328.jpg

After:
    IMAG0329.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Looking great gary but you're wasting your time applying blacklight over the wax. Blacklight is a gloss enhancer and not a sealant so it should go on before the wax.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Have you ever seen anything more beautiful in your entire life! :eek:

wh1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Are they just polished?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement