Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

dartbhoy wrote: »
    Carrigtwohill have won the 2nd senior semi final defeating Midleton 1-10 to 0-9. A shock that Carrigtwohill have reached the final but fair play to them. They'll be representing Cork in the Munster club championship because CIT are not allowed.

Why are CIT not allowed in Munster ? They are a Club not a division, didnt UCC get to All Ireland Club semi final last time they won county football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭longpuck

Good to see some new teams braking trough in Cork. How many non Cork lads would CIT have? Its a bit sad to see the likes of the Barrs and Blackrock falling away however

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

Official Cork GAA Tweet tonight :

OfficialCorkGAACork GAA

CIT can represent Cork in the Munster and All-Ireland Club series if they win the Cork County Championship #gaa #corkgaa

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dannypat

CIT are eligible to play in the Munster Club Championship just like UCC did in 1999 when they won the Cork County Senior Football C'hip & UCD have represented Dublin in recent years progressing to the Leinster Club C'ship after winning the Dublin Championship.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I thought it would have been Carrig but I'm glad it will be CIT ( I do think they will win with a bit to spare) and I reckon they could have a right lash off the club championship.
    Bring on the club championship - as ever on TG4!!!

• Advertisement

longpuck wrote: »
    Good to see some new teams braking trough in Cork. How many non Cork lads would CIT have? Its a bit sad to see the likes of the Barrs and Blackrock falling away however
    Tommy Quaid of Effin is the only player that featured out of the 18 that played for CIT today that is not from a Cork Club.
    Pat O' Connor of Tubber in Co. Clare (current Clare Senior) has played in previous rounds but wasn't there today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

dannypat wrote: »
    Tommy Quaid of Effin is the only player that featured out of the 18 that played for CIT today that is not from a Cork Club.
    Pat O' Connor of Tubber in Co. Clare (current Clare Senior) has played in previous rounds but wasn't there today.

It will be intersting to see what extra players they will have as the college starts up again. O'Connor as mentioned, but I'd say there might be another couple available to them.

How did CIT & UCC pick there players for the county championship? They hardy train over the summer do they?

bensam wrote: »
    i think its unfair to blame frank for all ills in cork gaa,
    he has many faults but at the end of the day its always easy to
    blame frank, gerald, or denis walsh,
    maybe people should just realise that last 5 years players
    just havent been good enough,

People outside of Cork have been saying that but the Cork people just dont seem to want to accpect that fact

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    It will be intersting to see what extra players they will have as the college starts up again. O'Connor as mentioned, but I'd say there might be another couple available to them.

Think there is some rule which prevents them from using new players, think they must pick players only from 2010/11 season.

• Advertisement

People outside of Cork have been saying that but the Cork people just dont seem to want to accpect that fact

People outside of Cork say alot of things!

People outside of Cork say alot of things!

Shame they wouldn't listen now and then....

Shame they wouldn't listen now and then....

Not really.

Not really.

What ever you say.....

What ever you say.....

Well, apparently it's whatever people from outside Cork say:rolleyes:

Well, apparently it's whatever people from outside Cork say:rolleyes:

As i said maybe if they listened to them once an a wile they might learn something... oh wait i forgot people from Cork know everything dont they...

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

First of all lads, give the petty squabbles a rest, it bores everyone.

Only students who were in college last year are eligable, so 1st years this year won/'t be able to play.

O Connor should be free, and they should have Colin Fennelly also, if they are not tied up with their clubs.

hey look to have a nice hurling team on paper, and while i think they will have too much for Carraig, i wouldn't be getting too far ahead and talking about munster yet, the County Final has to be won first..

First of all lads, give the petty squabbles a rest, it bores everyone.

Only students who were in college last year are eligable, so 1st years this year won/'t be able to play.

O Connor should be free, and they should have Colin Fennelly also, if they are not tied up with their clubs.

hey look to have a nice hurling team on paper, and while i think they will have too much for Carraig, i wouldn't be getting too far ahead and talking about munster yet, the County Final has to be won first..

To the actually question i asked. Do CIT & UCC train over the summer or whats the story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Rebel1977 wrote: »
    Why are CIT not allowed in Munster ? They are a Club not a division, didnt UCC get to All Ireland Club semi final last time they won county football
    It was on C103 fm yesterday that the winner of the Midleton v Carrigtwohill clash would represent the county in the Munster championship but this is not the case as I know now. Out of CIT's starting 15 Cork players make up 14 of the team with young Quaid from Limerick the only player outside the county.

To the actually question i asked. Do CIT & UCC train over the summer or whats the story?
    CIT train once a week & play a challenge game too. If they can't get together for a game & a training session in a given week, they'll just train or have a practice game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭deisedude

Lads what do you make of the standard of the senior hurling championship in Cork? Personally from going to games i think it has regressed over the last few years. Just asking as it popped into my head when answering someone on another thread

• Registered Users Posts: 34,056 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

deisedude wrote: »
    Lads what do you make of the standard of the senior hurling championship in Cork? Personally from going to games i think it has regressed over the last few years. Just asking as it popped into my head when answering someone on another thread

Be honest its been going downhill for past 20 years. There was a time when the top senior clubs in Cork could actually take on intercounty teams they were that strong

deisedude wrote: »

The club scene was probably at it's highest level in the 80's. There were several big clubs with teams that were of a very high standard. The standard now is fairly poor to be honest, as can be seen from our Munster performances in recent years. Newtown played a different brand of hurling and that brought them great success for a while, but in general the standard is poor.
    The quality and entertainment of some of the Intermediate and junior championship matches are far and away better in my opinion. As was actually seen last year when Cork won the junior and intermediate club huling championships.

The club scene was probably at it's highest level in the 80's. There were several big clubs with teams that were of a very high standard. The standard now is fairly poor to be honest, as can be seen from our Munster performances in recent years. Newtown played a different brand of hurling and that brought them great success for a while, but in general the standard is poor.
    The quality and entertainment of some of the Intermediate and junior championship matches are far and away better in my opinion. As was actually seen last year when Cork won the junior and intermediate club huling championships.
    Well said ShamoBuc. The best club games in Cork the past few years have been in junior and Intermediate level and there has been plenty of All Ireland success for Cork teams in these grades.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Just shows we've lots of decent hurlers, but no great ones...

Results from today;

County Junior Football Championship quarter final; Courcey Rovers 1-10 Donoughmore 0-10.

County Junior Hurling Championship quarter final; Mayfield 1-16 Cloughduv 1-9.

County Senior Football Championship semi final; UCC 0-12 Avondhu 0-8.

I really fancy this Mayfield team to win the junior hurling county this year,they were unlucky last year against eventual All Ireland winners Meelin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Best of luck to our cailini tomorrow who are going for a staggering 6 all irelands in seven years. Rebels abu!

East Cork Junior football final result; Glenbower Rovers 0-16 Lisgoold 0-6. Glenbower Rovers play Kanturk Tuesday night in Mallow at 8 00pm in the county quarter final.

Best of luck to our ladies in the All Ireland final tomorrow against Monaghan.

• Advertisement

dartbhoy wrote: »
    Results from today;

County Junior Football Championship quarter final; Courcey Rovers 1-10 Donoughmore 0-10.

County Junior Hurling Championship quarter final; Mayfield 1-16 Cloughduv 1-9.

County Senior Football Championship semi final; UCC 0-12 Avondhu 0-8.

I really fancy this Mayfield team to win the junior hurling county this year,they were unlucky last year against eventual All Ireland winners Meelin.

I thought they had what it took to go all the way last year aswell. They are there or thereabouts this year again.

Really looking forward to watching our ladies in Croker tomorrow. They have shown how experienced they are by not panicking when under pressure or behind in games. I expect us to pull through a close game and win by 3 points.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement