Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,056 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Yes!!!!!!!!

Cork hurling has a lifeline

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

At last 5 years of decline and stagnation are over.We can put the strikes behind us and move forward as one county.It will take time to get Cork back on track and Jimmy need's to get a decent backroom team in place but im very hopeful that we'll be back winning all irelands within 5 years.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭longpuck

Now surely they've got who they want and if things dont work out cant turn around and blame JBM if they dont make progress

longpuck wrote: »
    Now surely they've got who they want and if things dont work out cant turn around and blame JBM if they dont make progress

He's not a magician though.He needs to have a decent coaching team in place.

He's not a magician though.He needs to have a decent coaching team in place.

True, but hes who the fans and players wanted unlike before so they cant used that as an excuse this time around. He'll need about 4/5 years id say to get Cork back competing for All Ireland success

• Advertisement

True, but hes who the fans and players wanted unlike before so they cant used that as an excuse this time around. He'll need about 4/5 years id say to get Cork back competing for All Ireland success

I agree it will take time but i think the county can move on from all the troubles of the past.It took him 3 years the last time to build an all ireland winning team but this time around there's no underage success to work with.

I agree it will take time but i think the county can move on from all the troubles of the past.It took him 3 years the last time to build an all ireland winning team but this time around there's no underage success to build from.

Also there well behind the likes of Tipp and Kilkenny and Dublin are starting to pass them out aswell

Also there well behind the likes of Tipp and Kilkenny and Dublin are starting to pass them out aswell

Nontheless i believe there's hurling talent in the county it's all just a matter of organising it.There's a long road ahead but the road to recovery has started.

Nontheless i believe there's hurling talent in the county it's all just a matter of organising it.There's a long road ahead but the road to recovery has started.

Thats true. He should also move on from some of the older lads and stick with youth

Thats true. He should also move on from some of the older lads and stick with youth

Fella's like Donal Og,Brian Murphy,John Gardiner(although John had a poor year last year) and Niall McCarthy have plenty left to offer.I think the two O'Connors and Tom Kennys race is run though.He's faced all this before in 96 when he had to retire fella's like Teddy McCarthy and Tomas Mulcahy.He won't be afraid to drop someone if they need to be dropped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,056 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The big thing is he will have the respect of the players..Nobody else would have been able to do that from the start imo..

He has a presence about him..We have long road ahead but least now we have some chance...

Fella's like Donal Og,Brian Murphy,John Gardiner(although John had a poor year last year) and Niall McCarthy have plenty left to offer.I think the two O'Connors and Tom Kennys race is run though.He's faced all this before in 96 when he had to retire fella's like Teddy McCarthy and Tomas Mulcahy.He won't be afraid to drop someone if they need to be dropped.

Yes the O Connors are past it at intercounty level now. I think they should get rid of John Gardiner aswell i think some of the lads on the Under 21's this year are better then him now

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Rebel Fan

Well there is a God after all and his name is JBM! If ever Cork hurling needed a lift this is it, hopefully it will galvanise the whole county and we'll all be pulling in the same direction again. I'd love to see Ger Fitz and Ger Cunningham involved in the team also, these guys are legends of Cork hurling and will command the respect and support of everyone. Hopefully next year we can start to compete again, I know it'll take time but there's gotta be 30 players in the county that are capable of putting up a decent challenge to the top two. JBM won't be afraid to make the tough calls that are needed to resurrect our hurling fortunes.
    Corcaigh Abu!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Six Foot Two
    Eyes Are Blue
    Jimmy Barry We Love You
    And We Love You
    We Love You
    We Do

Delighted. He is well capable of making whatever tough decisions have to be made. He is certainly well up on the players around the county and he will bring a freshess to Cork hurling that it badly needs. Happier times ahead me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Carthy303

Donal Óg has done a serious service to Cork hurling but no manager will have complete control over a dressing room while he's a member of the panel. The same goes for Gardiner. This is a time for new blood in Cork hurling and the old guard must go. Curran was the first to retire and I hope for the sake of Cork hurling a few more follow him.

JBM as manager, Ger Cunningham as coach, Pat Hartnett, Tom Cashman and Johny Crowley as selectors. Now this is what I call a strong backroom team. Every one of these guys have won all irelands with Cork, the younger players in Cork will really look up to these guys and give their all for the blood and bandage. I heard a rumour that Cusack was going to be involved in the management team, what a disaster that would've been. This guy would be better off walking away and staying away, he has been a great servant on the field but his off the field antics have ripped the soul out of Cork hurling, he has never shown respect for the management and county board in the county. Unfortunately it looks like he's going to have a pivotal role in the GPA for years to come, watch the trouble he creates nationwide in the future. Curran made the right decision to go, expect a few more to follow, the great team of 04 and 05 need to walk away, thankfully though it looks like JBM and co will be starting with a clean slate and building for the future. Like I said yesterday, there's got to be at least 30 hurlers in the county now that are capable of challenging Kilkenny and Tipp next year, we are a strong, proud hurling county and we'll be at the top again sooner rather than later!
    Corcaigh Abu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carthy303 wrote: »
    Donal Óg has done a serious service to Cork hurling but no manager will have complete control over a dressing room while he's a member of the panel. The same goes for Gardiner. This is a time for new blood in Cork hurling and the old guard must go. Curran was the first to retire and I hope for the sake of Cork hurling a few more follow him.

Absolute bull****.Donal Og and John have plenty left to offer.When i said everyone needs to move on i mean everyone including the county board lovers.To be honest Jimmy has a big job ahead of him.If it works out like Billy Morgan when came back when he laid the foundations for Conor Counihan to work with then Jimmy's second coming will be a huge success.There still issues like the general neglect of underage hurling in Cork.I supose Frank is thinking there i gave them there Jimmy Barry Muprhy will they shut up about 10 year plans now?

Rebel Fan wrote: »
    JBM as manager, Ger Cunningham as coach, Pat Hartnett, Tom Cashman and Johny Crowley as selectors. Now this is what I call a strong backroom team. Every one of these guys have won all irelands with Cork, the younger players in Cork will really look up to these guys and give their all for the blood and bandage. I heard a rumour that Cusack was going to be involved in the management team, what a disaster that would've been. This guy would be better off walking away and staying away, he has been a great servant on the field but his off the field antics have ripped the soul out of Cork hurling, he has never shown respect for the management and county board in the county. Unfortunately it looks like he's going to have a pivotal role in the GPA for years to come, watch the trouble he creates nationwide in the future. Curran made the right decision to go, expect a few more to follow, the great team of 04 and 05 need to walk away, thankfully though it looks like JBM and co will be starting with a clean slate and building for the future. Like I said yesterday, there's got to be at least 30 hurlers in the county now that are capable of challenging Kilkenny and Tipp next year, we are a strong, proud hurling county and we'll be at the top again sooner rather than later!
    Corcaigh Abu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Neglect by our county board and hiring bad managers has ripped the soul out of Cork hurling.All those players wanted was a decent coaching set up.Was Donal Og supposed to put up with Geralds overhead doubling drills.Unless you wan't to put the ball into you're own net a goal keeper has no place practising that.

Neglect by our county board and hiring bad managers has ripped the soul out of Cork hurling.All those players wanted was a decent coaching set up.Was Donal Og supposed to put up with Geralds overhead doubling drills.Unless you wan't to put the ball into you're own net a goal keeper has no place practising that.

Whilst I agree the county board have to take alot of the blame for the past mistakes, I still feel Donal Og has done more harm than good for Cork hurling. The first strike I totally agreed with, players being treated like s**t whilst giving their all, the rest of them IMO were a power struggle between the players and management, and Donal Og was the ringleader. Insubordination has no place in any team, just like in business, the people in charge must be left to make the tough calls. For the last few years the players had too much influence in management matters. Players must stick to what they're good at, playing the game, and leave the management of the team up to the people appointed. I said from day 1 that Denis Walsh was appointed to act as a go-between from the players to the county board, there was no effective management in place IMO. JBM is different, he will be in charge and any player that crosses the line will be out, pure and simple. I've said for years that what we need is a manager to grab the bull by the horns and let everyone know he's the boss, until that happens the famine will continue. However, for the first time in years I'm optimistic about the future, Cork hurling will always be there or thereabouts as long as we get the structures right, with JBM at the helm the future looks good again, thank god!
    Corcaigh Abu!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Absolute bull****.Donal Og and John have plenty left to offer.

Have to agree. Just have to look at Tony BRowne at 38. He is still one of the best around and could if he wants be still around for a year or two, maybe more to come.

• Advertisement

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Have to agree. Just have to look at Tony BRowne at 38. He is still one of the best around and could if he wants be still around for a year or two, maybe more to come.

Tony Browne was and still is a great player, broke our hearts many a day but a joy to watch in full flow for any hurling purist. Browne though never got involved in management affairs, Cusack always wanted to be in the limelight, remember a few years ago he phoned into rte1 radio when Gerald Mac was giving an interview, he hadn't even the courtesy to refer to him by name, just as "that man". I know Gerald should have walked away after his time was up but Cusack was so disrespectful to a legend of Cork hurling, 5 All Ireland medals and a member of the famous 76 to 78 team. Cusack wouldn't be fit to lace his boots but his insubordination on that night is the very reason Cork hurling has been in the doldrums for a few years. As a Deise man I'm sure you'll appreciate Gerald Mac, he awoke a sleeping giant in Waterford and gave ye many a great day out, here's hoping JBM does the same for us over the next few years!

Tony Browne was and still is a great player, broke our hearts many a day but a joy to watch in full flow for any hurling purist. Browne though never got involved in management affairs, Cusack always wanted to be in the limelight, remember a few years ago he phoned into rte1 radio when Gerald Mac was giving an interview, he hadn't even the courtesy to refer to him by name, just as "that man". I know Gerald should have walked away after his time was up but Cusack was so disrespectful to a legend of Cork hurling, 5 All Ireland medals and a member of the famous 76 to 78 team. Cusack wouldn't be fit to lace his boots but his insubordination on that night is the very reason Cork hurling has been in the doldrums for a few years. As a Deise man I'm sure you'll appreciate Gerald Mac, he awoke a sleeping giant in Waterford and gave ye many a great day out, here's hoping JBM does the same for us over the next few years!

I always thought Gerald was the wrong man for the job.He underachieved with that Waterford team and to be honest he was out of touch with the demands of modern day intercounty hurling.Donal Og is still good enough to be Corks number 1 keeper.Whatever side you were on during the strikes it's time to move and by moving on that also includes no more comments asking for Donal Og and John to be dropped.That just smacks of hidden agendas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Both Gerald and Justin did a hell of a lot for Waterford hurling in the last number of years. If there is one down fall however, Justin should not have stood for reappointment in 2008. He had taken the team as far as he could in 07, maybe was a bit lucky but our county board took their foot off the floor a little by not looking for the game with Limerick (Semi Final) but back to the following saturday or sunday. If it was Cork that had come out on top against Waterford, after the replay, I am 100% sure that Frank Murphy would be onto Croke Park officials before they had left the ground v Waterford looking for the game to be put back.

I always thought Gerald was the wrong man for the job.He underachieved with that Waterford team and to be honest he was out of touch with the demands of modern day intercounty hurling.Donal Og is still good enough to be Corks number 1 keeper.Whatever side you were on during the strikes it's time to move and by moving on that also includes no more comments asking for Donal Og and John to be dropped.That just smacks of hidden agendas.

No hidden agendas here, I just feel that with JBM coming in it must be time for a fresh start, personally I wouldn't like to see Cusack playing again but if JBM sticks with him i'll be right behind him. My point has always been that the management of the team have to be in full control of all affairs, would Brian Cody or Declan Ryan settle for anything less? Never in a million years IMO, what has happened in the past with conflict in Cork hurling must be confined to the dustbin of history. Back to basics, let the players play, let the management manage and we'll look forward to a better future.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Carthy303

Absolute bull****.Donal Og and John have plenty left to offer.When i said everyone needs to move on i mean everyone including the county board lovers.To be honest Jimmy has a big job ahead of him.If it works out like Billy Morgan when came back when he laid the foundations for Conor Counihan to work with then Jimmy's second coming will be a huge success.There still issues like the general neglect of underage hurling in Cork.I supose Frank is thinking there i gave them there Jimmy Barry Muprhy will they shut up about 10 year plans now?

Never said they didn't have anything to offer on the pitch so it's not absolute bull****. Cusack and Gardiner were the two at the head of the strikes and while the county board has done damage to Cork hurling, those two have aswell, especially Cusack because he loves the limelight and wants to be in control.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I would expect both Donal Óg and Gardiner to continue but to be 'quiet' for the foreseable future. Both are still capable of producing the goods for the team and I hope they both continue. I don't expect them to be in the media complaining much from now on.

Whilst I agree the county board have to take alot of the blame for the past mistakes, I still feel Donal Og has done more harm than good for Cork hurling. The first strike I totally agreed with, players being treated like s**t whilst giving their all, the rest of them IMO were a power struggle between the players and management, and Donal Og was the ringleader. Insubordination has no place in any team, just like in business, the people in charge must be left to make the tough calls. For the last few years the players had too much influence in management matters. Players must stick to what they're good at, playing the game, and leave the management of the team up to the people appointed. I said from day 1 that Denis Walsh was appointed to act as a go-between from the players to the county board, there was no effective management in place IMO. JBM is different, he will be in charge and any player that crosses the line will be out, pure and simple. I've said for years that what we need is a manager to grab the bull by the horns and let everyone know he's the boss, until that happens the famine will continue. However, for the first time in years I'm optimistic about the future, Cork hurling will always be there or thereabouts as long as we get the structures right, with JBM at the helm the future looks good again, thank god!
    Corcaigh Abu!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That point was made by someone before and they were told they had no idea what they were on about and the players were right to strike.

They cant make any excuse this time around, have the manager they want and he's picking his own back room team so if they underpreform its the players who have to take the blame no one ealse

Carthy303 wrote: »
    Never said they didn't have anything to offer on the pitch so it's not absolute bull****. Cusack and Gardiner were the two at the head of the strikes and while the county board has done damage to Cork hurling, those two have aswell, especially Cusack because he loves the limelight and wants to be in control.

During the O'Grady and Alllen years Donal Og was one of the quietest men in the dressing room so i don't see where you're coming from.Now if Jimmy second coming work's out like Billy Morgans i'll be delighted.He'll get the team organised and hopefully come the end of his term the new man can build on the foundations(A bit like when Conor Counihan built on Billy Morgans good work and delivered an all ireland win) Jimmy layed and get an all ireland out of the team.So were talking about a 5-6 year project but the road towards a better future has started and i don't expect anymore trouble.We march forward as one county again let's leave the troubles where they belong in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement