Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Just saw our ladies qualified for the All Ireland Final yesterday - Comhghairdeas!!!!!
    They beat Laois 4-10 to 1-6
    I watched the first half begore going out and thought we would pull through - but not by that much! We were playing against a strong wind and were 1-3 to 0-0 down at one stage. We settled and levelled to 1-3 V 1-3 before missing a pen and that was the ht score. Amy O'Shea got a hat trick of goals in the second half to cruise to a comfortable win.
    I really enjoy watching the ladies play(;)) they have an abundance of skill and experience. Briege Corkery - half back and dual player - always looks like she could play another game at ft - she has some engine on her!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Blue Magic

6 foot 2 and eyes of blue,
    Jimmy Barry we love you,
    Here's up em all said the boys of fairhill!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The Echo says tonight that JBM will have Seanie Mcgrath, Johnny Crowley and Ger Cunningham alongside him next year - an abundance of experience it must be said. All city men, so I wonder will the final place go to someone from north or east Cork - or does it really matter?

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    The Echo says tonight that JBM will have Seanie Mcgrath, Johnny Crowley and Ger Cunningham alongside him next year - an abundance of experience it must be said. All city men, so I wonder will the final place go to someone from north or east Cork - or does it really matter?

Apparently Pat Hartnett and Tom Cashman were both asked but couldn't/wouldn't do it!

Personally would like to see a cool head like Seánie O'Leary or John Considine get it...

longpuck wrote: »
    They cant make any excuse this time around, have the manager they want and he's picking his own back room team so if they underpreform its the players who have to take the blame no one ealse

That would be true if the players in question; i.e. those there from 2003 (O'Connors, Kenny, Gardiner, Fraggy, Donal Óg, Niall Mac, Brian Murphy, perhaps Seán Óg); did not have a poor manager and selectors for 5 years in the prime of their careers. They are all now past their best but still have a role hopefully. If they fail, it is as much down to the board, probably more, than them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 bensam

i hope rte show respect to jubilee team of 1986,
    last few years have been a joke, barely got a glimpse of team
    it was always big part of final day,
    god im getting old, i was there that day in 86:)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,066 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

bensam wrote: »

Bit too young to remember, but remember my Dad saying that Cork were underdogs that day and not expected to beat that strong Galway side

bensam wrote: »

I was there that day aswell - my 3rd visit to croker I think- the following 4 years saw me see Croker alot more though!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Just back from the Premier Intermediate football quarter final replay in Rathcoole where a youthful Newmarket defeated Naomh Aban 2-11 to 1-7. I was impressed with this Newmarket team who's fortunes have been turned around in recent times by their coach Cork football legend Danny Culloty.

And Nemo are out of the Senior football - injuries caught up with them I'd say.

• Advertisement

Duhallow Junior Football Championship semi finals results; Kanturk 0-11 Knocknagree 0-6, Rockchapel 1-12 Lyre 1-1. A shock defending champions Lyre were beat.

South-East Junior Football Championship final result; Courcey Rovers 1-5 Ballygarvan 0-6.

dartbhoy wrote: »
    Duhallow Junior Football Championship semi finals results; Kanturk 0-11 Knocknagree 0-6, Rockchapel 1-12 Lyre 1-1. A shock defending champions Lyre were beat.

South-East Junior Football Championship final result; Courcey Rovers 1-5 Ballygarvan 0-6.

and well beat - only scoring 1-1:eek: ( misprint?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

No shock that Kanturk beat Knocknagree though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

we are now 3 All Ireland Titles behind Kilkenny in the Hurling,

Kilkenny 33 Cork 30

Will we ever see the day that we will pass them out again? We have to get a team, first of all to compete in the All Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,066 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

teednab-el wrote: »
    we are now 3 All Ireland Titles behind Kilkenny in the Hurling,

Kilkenny 33 Cork 30

Will we ever see the day that we will pass them out again? We have to get a team, first of all to compete in the All Ireland.

I remember when we were 4 ahead of them back in early 90 27-23 they won 10 AI since 1992 hard to believe.

You can never say never, least we have some chance now with JBM being in charge, but it wont happen overnight and more likely Kilkenny will add to their tally before we win another.

I always remembered my Dad was proud of our record, hopefully someday we will get it back.

But it will take time..

Tiocfaidh ár lá!

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭barbarians

Donoughmore are Junior A Mid-Cork Football Champions after beating Dripsey 1-7 to 1-4 in Coachford yesterday.

I can guarantee there are a lot of sore heads around Donoughmore today :P

and well beat - only scoring 1-1:eek: ( misprint?)
    Not a misprint mo chara! It was a shock that they only scored 1-1 beside been beat! Danny Culloty's brother Sean coaches Rockchapel and is after turning them into a fine team,it should be a cracking final between themselves and Kanturk next Sunday in Rathcoole at 3 30.

barbarians wrote: »
    Donoughmore are Junior A Mid-Cork Football Champions after beating Dripsey 1-7 to 1-4 in Coachford yesterday.

I can guarantee there are a lot of sore heads around Donoughmore today :P
    Always a good place for a session in years gone by:D!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

One man Frank Murphy has overseen our decline from being the number 1 hurling county in ireland to where we are now.The only way back is to have an agenda free county board that will pick managers for our underage teams based on hurling reasons and not agendas to consolidate there power.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement

i think its unfair to blame frank for all ills in cork gaa,
    he has many faults but at the end of the day its always easy to
    blame frank, gerald, or denis walsh,
    maybe people should just realise that last 5 years players
    just havent been good enough,

how do people feel cork hurllers 04--06 would fare
    v kilkenny of 07/11,
    i honestly think standard has been raised considerably,
    when cork won the two titles 20 points seemed to be good enough,
    now that would fall well short,

Gutted to see that Walsh will be concentrating on the senior footballers next year. He will not be togging out for the hurlers. It was believed he would, but he now wants to give it his all to the footballers to get Sam back. A right let down to be honest. He is exactly the type of ball winning/scoring forward the hurlers need.
    A big ptiy, hopefully after a quiet winter he might think again.

Duhallow Junior football championship final Kanturk v Rockchapel has been re-fixed for Saturday September 17th in Dromtarrife at 5 00pm.

The 1st senior hurling championship semi final has just finished and a shock here as CIT thumped Newtownshandrum 3-15 to 1-7!

The 1st senior hurling championship semi final has just finished and a shock here as CIT thumped Newtownshandrum 3-15 to 1-7!

Just heard that myself - not that much of a shock that CIT won ( they have a fine team), but that is a fair old beating for Newtown - only scoring 1-7:eek:

Results; Premier Intermediate football semi final Newmarket 0-8 St Vincents 0-6.
    Avondhu Junior football championship final Mitchelstown 2-22 Clyda Rovers 1-5. Beara Junior football championship final Urhan 0-12 Garnish 0-12.

A great win for Newmarket. They were 20/1 at the bookies a few weeks ago to win the Premier Intermediate championship!

Carrigtwohill have won the 2nd senior semi final defeating Midleton 1-10 to 0-9. A shock that Carrigtwohill have reached the final but fair play to them. They'll be representing Cork in the Munster club championship because CIT are not allowed.

Delighted for Carrig. Surprised they beat Midleton to be honest. I expect CIT - if they have a full team to pick from- to win the final. It will be interesting to see how Carrig get on in Munster. They can't exactly do worse than other teams in recent years.

• Advertisement

Delighted for Carrig. Surprised they beat Midleton to be honest. I expect CIT - if they have a full team to pick from- to win the final. It will be interesting to see how Carrig get on in Munster. They can't exactly do worse than other teams in recent years.
    It's impossible to see CIT losing the final if they have a full team. As for Carrigtwohill going out in Munster I wouldn't be brimming with confidence that they'll do well in it and they could possibly get a severe hiding in it but I hope they prove me wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement