Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

While the main topic of conversation is about the selection of the next Cork hurling manager,tomorrow is the county's only chance of an All Ireland title with the county's junior footballers playing Kildare in the final in Thurles at 4 00. Best of luck to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

dartbhoy wrote: »
    While the main topic of conversation is about the selection of the next Cork hurling manager,tomorrow is the county's only chance of an All Ireland title with the county's junior footballers playing Kildare in the final in Thurles at 4 00. Best of luck to all involved.

Indeed and hopefully i will get to change my sig and location.:) Im hearing rumours on Rebel Gaa that Dennis Walsh has first refusal on the job.God help us all if they give him another term!

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Carthy303

dcr22B wrote: »
    I assume that's more a rant at your own predicament rather than a slight at our progress?

Havent't read back the thread but just got a text from cousin on Leeside about JBM being mooted as manager!

Yeah was having a go at ourselves rather than ye. Good for hurling for Dublin to make the breakthrough as far as I'm concerned but frustrating for ourselves to be in such dire straights!

Carthy303 wrote: »
    Yeah was having a go at ourselves rather than ye. Good for hurling for Dublin to make the breakthrough as far as I'm concerned but frustrating for ourselves to be in such dire straights!

Bollix to that Cork first fcuk everything else.If we ever sort out that joke of a county board of ours we will dominate both hurling and football.Despite our problems we have achieved a relatively decent enough amount of success over the past 12 years but despite our all ireland haul we are still hurlings great underachievers.It's sad to think about all the all irelands we missed out on because of agendas and bad organisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Cork won their 16th All Ireland junior football title earlier today when they defeated Kildare 1-12 to 0-13 after extra time. Well done to all involved.

Cork ladies reached the semi finals of the All Ireland when they made a great comeback to defeat Dublin 2-14 to 3-10 in a highly entertaining game that was televised on TG4. Again well done to all involved in the Ladies set up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Fantastic wins and well done to ladies and Juniors.

SHC Relegation Playoff:

Ballinhassig 0-12 Bishopstown 0-13

Bishopstown hang on for another year at least in the top grade while Ballinhassig slip down to Premier Intermediate for the 1st time since '05

Quarter Final: Sars 0-13 Newtown 1-14

PIHC Quarter Final:

Aghabollogue 0-5 Kilbrittain 5-15

SFC Quarter Final:

Castlehaven 2-9 St. Finbarrs 1-7

Just heads up to ye other Cork fans that John Kearns the former Cork Goalkeeper is dead ten years tomorrow:(

I am sure he be proud of the ladies and Juniors efforts today

2AI's, 2 All-Stars, 6 munster and NF medal...He also won County, Munster and AI medal with his club

A Cork legend no question

1990-09-Sam-Visits-SMS-300x192.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Does anyone know is the Under 17 Inter county Hurling Tournament taking place in Mallow as usual next weekend, ie same weekend as Tony Forrestal, Nenagh Co Op tournament etc. IF it is, does anyone know where the fixtures can be got.

SHC:

Quarter Final: Bride Rovers 2-09 CIT 1-17
    Quarter Final: Ballymartle 0-18 Midleton 1-17

IHC:

Quarter Final: Bandon 0-12 Aghada 0-12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Does anyone know is the Under 17 Inter county Hurling Tournament taking place in Mallow as usual next weekend, ie same weekend as Tony Forrestal, Nenagh Co Op tournament etc. IF it is, does anyone know where the fixtures can be got.

All on the same weekend I believe. Don't know about fixtures, maybe check Rebel Og through the next week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Great win for the Juniors. I was watching the ladies game yesterday - thanks TG4!- a wonderful game of football. 3 goals in the first 2 mins of the second half - brilliant stuff.
    CIT going very well at the moment as are Midleton. Not really surprised Sars lost, they remind me a bit of arsenal for some reason - very capable but a bit soft. They have some wonderful hurlers but seem to lack a bit of strength or something. Bishopstown just about stayed up, given their population they should surely be doing better. Hard to know who will win it this year, it's going to be fairly close.
    And Denis Walsh has first dibs as new manager....... just no.

CIT have been hurling well but I'd say Newtown will be a step too far for them. Midleton Newtown final for me with Midleton causing a slight upset. Been a bad year in general for City clubs, not just Bishopstown. No City club in the Senior Hurling semis and Nemo are the only club left in the Football with the Barrs going out this weekend.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    And Denis Walsh has first dibs as new manager....... just no.

He doesn't.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Orizio wrote: »
    He doesn't.

It was mentioned in an early post - which would be surprising and yet wouldn't surprise me at all.
    I doubt he will go forward anyway. Hurling here must get a much needed shot in the arm - he certainly cannot do that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

I thought the clubs were meant to have a say on who the next Cork manager will but now Frank has put forward his own motion.Typical county board.

Davy is free right now lads if ye want him.

You're funny.... move along Davy...nothing to see here!!!

I rather have frank murphy in charge and that is saying a whole fooking lot.

I rather have frank murphy in charge and that is saying a whole fooking lot.

He's been in charge for long enough already;)

He's been in charge for long enough already;)

ya got me there, your right the fooker is in charge in all but name

• Advertisement

It was mentioned in an early post - which would be surprising and yet wouldn't surprise me at all.
    I doubt he will go forward anyway. Hurling here must get a much needed shot in the arm - he certainly cannot do that.

That person simply misunderstood a single post made on RebelGAA, where someone said they 'assumed' Walsh would get first referral.

Orizio wrote: »
    That person simply misunderstood a single post made on RebelGAA, where someone said they 'assumed' Walsh would get first referral.

Misunderstandings happen;)

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

fyi Cork senior ladies are playing in Cashel at 6pm on Saturday!

Ha i have to say he did a fine job destroying the team that Justin built.At least with Justin ye played nice hurling.

Statement re Senior Hurling Team Manager Position
    As Chairman of the County Committee, I wish to confirm that the Appointment Committee which has responsibility for recommending the County Senior Hurling Manager has decided that there will be a change of Manager.

The Vice-Chairman and myself, as members of the Committee, have met with the outgoing Manager, Denis Walsh, whose term as Manager has been completed, and informed him of this decision. Denis accepted the position graciously and offered to provide any assistance or advice in the transition period to the new Manager, when appointed.

On behalf of the County Committee, I wish to place on record our sincere thanks to Denis for his trojan work on behalf of the County hurling team over the past two and a half years. He took up the challenging position at a difficult time, and with his team management colleagues put in enormous time and effort in preparing and developing the team panel. He at all times presented an excellent and courteous public image. Denis has given outstanding service to this County as both a great dual player, and as a Manager/Coach, and we know he will continue to serve the Association well in various capacities in the future.

I wish also to pay tribute to the other Selectors, Pat Buckley, Jerry Ryan and Pa Finn, and to the other members of Denis's 'backroom team' for their dedicated work during their term in office.

The Appointment Committee is now proceeding with its consideration of the appointment of a Manager but no further information is available at this stage.

Diarmuid Ó Súilleabháin,
    Cathaoirleach,
    Coiste Chontae Chorcaí

I see Ronan Curran has decided to hang up his intercounty boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

He must be disillusioned with the talent or lack of it in the county, retiring at that age

I see Ronan Curran has decided to hang up his intercounty boots.

At his best he was the best centre back in the country.I think the problems of the last few years affected him badly.At least unlike Gerald Dennis Walsh has left with his dignity intact.He was a poor manager but he took the Cork job at a very difficult time and he blooded Cads,Stephen McDonnell,William Egan,Lorcan McLoughlin,Cian McCarthy and Luke O'Farrell.He also found Pa Cronins best position and Pat Horgan and Paudie O'Sullivan showed signs that there going to develop into top class forwards this year.I hope JBM get's the job but Ger Cunningham has to be in the set up.To be fair Jimmy is a mushrooms man while Ger has an understanding about what's required for modern day intercounty hurling.Seanie O'leary also needs to be involved.Despite the lack of underage success there is talented hurlers in this county.With a decent manager we'll be back competing for and hopefully winning all irelands within 5 years.

No other person in Cork will get the same respect as JBM will... Not a single person hates the man in Cork..

He has proven though that he can make an AI winning team and am confident that we will at least be back in top 4 within 3 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ballbag05

​COUNTY  SENIOR  HURLING  TEAM  MANAGER

​The Appointment Committee has decided to recommend the appointment of Jimmy Barry Murphy as County Senior Hurling Manager.  

​The appointment is subject to ratification by the County Committee at its next meeting on September 6th.      

​By decision of the County Committee at its last meeting, a new Manager will have a three year term and has the right, subject to ratification, to appoint his own Selectors and 'Backroom Team'.

​The Management Committee (of the County Committee) has authorised this announcement now to enable the recommended Manager to commence the process of appointing his Management Team, and to provide the earliest opportunities for Management Appointments to be considered for the other Cork Inter County Hurling Teams in the various Grades.

​Diarmuid Ó Súilleabháin,
    ​     Cathaoirleach,
    ​Coiste Chontae Chorcaí

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement