Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

There's talk on the PROC and Rebel GAA about JBM being the next manager?

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

There's talk on the PROC and Rebel GAA about JBM being the next manager?

That is indeed the rumour going around, albiet there is a little more to it. I'm guessing people want to keep it quiet though because iirc Barry-Murphy turned down the U-21 job due to too much publicity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Orizio wrote: »
    That is indeed the rumour going around, albiet there is a little more to it. I'm guessing people want to keep it quiet though because iirc Barry-Murphy turned down the U-21 job due to too much publicity.

or maybe he was waiting for the senior position to open up?
    I'd be happy with JBM to be honest, very happy indeed.

At least Jimmy will unite the county again and i reckon we'll be back winning all irelands within 5 years with Jimmy in charge.Ger Cunningham is also going to be part of the setup.That's what a lad on the PROC said anyway and i trust his sources.Is it all too good to be true though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Carthy303 wrote: »
    That's the danger alright. Hes played some amount of matches in the last few weeks. Twice for the Senior Footballers,Twice for the U-21 Hurlers,Twice for Kanturk and once for CIT (only played one half but still).
    And if he plays dual next year, the problem will only increase!
    As far as I know now CIT are the only team he will still be involved with for the rest of the season. I'm not sure if Kanturk are still involved in Junior football, maybe somebody with a better knowledge of Duhallow GAA could clear that up.
    Kanturk are still in the junior football championship in Duhallow and are playing Dromtarrife in the 3rd round next Friday week as fixtures stand at present.

• Advertisement

Met my local club chairman at the weekend and he told me that the clubs will be strongly opposing Frank's plans on the selection procedure for a Cork hurling manager.

More worrying news though is the talk that Frank is thinking of staying on! Will he just be able to write up another contract for himself? The clubs must stop this by any means possible!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Interesting times ahead....again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

dartbhoy wrote: »
    Met my local club chairman at the weekend and he told me that the clubs will be strongly opposing Frank's plans on the selection procedure for a Cork hurling manager.

More worrying news though is the talk that Frank is thinking of staying on! Will he just be able to write up another contract for himself? The clubs must stop this by any means possible!

If I got a Euro for everytime I heard that..and usually right too

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Carthy303

A 6 man committee will be elected to appoint the next Senior Hurling Manager. It will consist of three club delegates and three members of the executive. The three club delegates were elected tonight with the three members of the executive yet to be decided but it's not that hard to guess who they'll be.

http://gaacork.ie/taggedNews/62281/appointment_of_senior_hurling_manager

A 6 man committee will be elected to appoint the next Senior Hurling Manager. It will consist of three club delegates and three members of the executive. The three club delegates were elected tonight with the three members of the executive yet to be decided but it's not that hard to guess who they'll be.

http://gaacork.ie/taggedNews/62281/appointment_of_senior_hurling_manager

I can see it now..... club 3 V board 3 and according to rule 4689 paragraph 874 -b, Frank will have to come in and give the deciding vote!!

• Advertisement

:pac:

The day Frank ****s off will be good one

Frank is still running the show.Hiring yes men like Gerald McCarthy and Dennis Walsh have destroyed Cork hurling.Why do i have a nasty feeling that Teddy Mac will be the next manager.Oh well 5 wasted years since 06 and the next 3 years are going down the toilet as well.Frank Murphy has presided over our decline from being the number 1 hurling county in ireland to now being passed out by Tipp,Kilkenny,Dublin,Waterford and Galway.Either the clubs step up to the plate or we will be facing another rough winter.

Teddy Mac won't be the next manager. Looking likely to be Seanie O'Brien, which would be an excellent appointment presuming he can appoint his own selectors.

Frank is still running the show.Hiring yes men like Gerald McCarthy and Dennis Walsh have destroyed Cork hurling.Why do i have a nasty feeling that Teddy Mac will be the next manager.Oh well 5 wasted years since 06 and the next 3 years are going down the toilet as well.Frank Murphy has presided over our decline from being the number 1 hurling county in ireland to now being passed out by Tipp,Kilkenny,Dublin,Waterford and Galway.Either the clubs step up to the plate or we will be facing another rough winter.

Teddy wont get the job as he was part of the disatrous Gerald McCarthy reign as a selector!

Teddy wont get the job as he was part of the disatrous Gerald McCarthy reign as a selector!

That's my point.He could get awarded for his patronage to Herr Frank.

if Teddy Mac becomes next manager its game over time

True, but I cannot see it happening, at least I hope not as there would undoubtedly be some bit of bad feeling still there from his involvement the last time - although of course it would all be the players fault:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ballbag05

Ditto, Teddy the head is what he's known as in Glanmire, no sense of control on and off the pitch, think this is a no brainer

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

You have to remember, Frank and his cronies were also the same men that appointed, in the last 15 years JBM, Donal O Grady and John Allen, all who won all Irelands. Some times they get the selection right, some times they get it wrong.
    Its not really in Franks best interest to pick a manager who will fail. If i am correct, there were 3 ex players involved in deciding who the last manager was, and they picked Denis Walsh. Thats what the players wanted in the management selection committee. Would they say it was a right choice now??
    No county has had that success with different managers (give Tipp a month).

• Advertisement

You have to remember, Frank and his cronies were also the same men that appointed, in the last 15 years JBM, Donal O Grady and John Allen, all who won all Irelands. Some times they get the selection right, some times they get it wrong.
    Its not really in Franks best interest to pick a manager who will fail. If i am correct, there were 3 ex players involved in deciding who the last manager was, and they picked Denis Walsh. Thats what the players wanted in the management selection committee. Would they say it was a right choice now??
    No county has had that success with different managers (give Tipp a month).

That commitee was told to appoint anyone but Ger Cunningham or Donal O'Grady.

Orizio wrote: »
    :pac:
    I'm glad to see your easily amused!!

What a joke of a carry on as regards the selection of a hurling manager once again! As for the clubs they can count themselves even lucky to have 3 members on the panel!

And as for the clubs who won't co-operate with the clubs forum shame on you but if their more interested in getting county championship games at their grounds off Frank than putting an input into the future of Cork GAA it really just shows up the major divisions in Cork GAA.

I'm glad to see your easily amused!!

I'm not, just thought it pretty ironic considering how things went.

The Executive members who will be involved in the selection were announced and no surprise to as who they are. Die Fuhrer Frank Murphy, Jerry O' Sullivan and Bob Ryan.

The Executive members who will be involved in the selection were announced and no surprise to as who they are. Die Fuhrer Frank Murphy, Jerry O' Sullivan and Bob Ryan.

I'd have put the mortgage on such a combination. Interesting times ahead.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I'd have put the mortgage on such a combination. Interesting times ahead.

Interesting times indeed. Here's hoping they don't appoint another yes man like Denis Walsh and appoint someone who'll actually have the balls to get rid of the players that need to be got rid of and blood in the new talent. With a bit of luck, we'll be back where we belong in 4 or 5 years. To have a county like Dublin ranked ahead of ourselves, even with all the great work that has gone in and is still going on, is absolutely disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

To have a county like Dublin, even with all the great work that has gone in and is still going on, is absolutely disgraceful.

:confused: can you explain what you mean here please?

SomeFool wrote: »
    :confused: can you explain what you mean here please?

I guess historicaly, Dublin were not in Cork's league when it comes to hurling. Currently Dublin are ahead of Cork ( and rightly so given all the work their cb have done) - but this is not on as far as I am concerned. The CCB have fallen behind in their structures and drive for excellence when it comes to hurling in this county. They need to buck up or fúck off. Cork are rightly proud of the place we once had at the top table of hurling but it will take alot of work to put us back where I feel we belong - challenging for All Ireland hurling titles - at all grades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

To have a county like Dublin ranked ahead of ourselves, even with all the great work that has gone in and is still going on, is absolutely disgraceful.

I assume that's more a rant at your own predicament rather than a slight at our progress?

Havent't read back the thread but just got a text from cousin on Leeside about JBM being mooted as manager!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement