Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Hard to see Down pulling Cork back in but if the injuries stack up anything is possible.Sounds like Cork are breaking through that Down defense rather easily.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Barry O Driscoll have to go off again, Fiachra Lynch on - O Driscoll got an awful belt into the face

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Carthy303

6 yellow cards doesn't reflect the free flowing game its been..very fussy refereeing from Duffy.Corks injuries starting to pile up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

A good game, great point-taking from both sides.

Gould's goal was fantastic, wonderful finish.

But Shields foul on McKernan was very very cynical. I suppose it's smart play, he knew he was only going to get a yellow but still...he ankle-tapped him when he was through on goal!

Good game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Cork looking very good here tonight. A lot quicker ball into the forward line today and have reaped the rewards.

While yee are suffering plenty of injuries, the Cork squad is big enough to cope with them.

on a side note, 30,000 attendance for the double header seems a bit brutal. Doesnt seem to be much Cork support up there either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Cork looking very good here tonight. A lot quicker ball into the forward line today and have reaped the rewards.

While yee are suffering plenty of injuries, the Cork squad is big enough to cope with them.

on a side note, 30,000 attendance for the double header seems a bit brutal. Doesnt seem to be much Cork support up there either.

Yeah, it's an absolute massacre now. Down have fallen apart, Cork's defence are completely on top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Charledontsurf

Good win, in truth, Down were awful in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Hope Joe Brolly was watching, another Northern team out of the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Rebel1977 wrote: »
    Hope Joe Brolly was watching, another Northern team out of the championship.

Brolly is clueless. Totally underrates Cork football, It might come back to bite him again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 denisc

Carthy303 wrote: »
    6 yellow cards doesn't reflect the free flowing game its been..very fussy refereeing from Duffy.Corks injuries starting to pile up.

There's a VERY strong argument to be made that the EARLY YELLOW CARDS, and PLENTY of em, is exactly what's needed to allow a game to flow.

Serial foulers will think again if they're on a yellow.

e.g. Shields WOULD NOT have hand-tripped the Down man thru on goal had he been on a yellow.

All this hand-wringing about "yellow cards in a clean game of football" is hugely shortsighted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

teednab-el wrote: »
    Brolly is clueless. Totally underrates Cork football, It might come back to bite him again this year.

I would think RTE should give him the P45 - I have a real bone of hatred for that man, the kind of one that gets a lengthy ban!

What a stunning performance by the Rebels though - thoroughly enjoyable game, really nice to enjoy the last 25 mins for a change!!!!!
    Bring on Mayo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

denisc wrote: »
    There's a VERY strong argument to be made that the EARLY YELLOW CARDS, and PLENTY of em, is exactly what's needed to allow a game to flow.

e.g. Shields WOULD NOT have hand-tripped the Down man thru on goal had he been on a yellow.

All this hand-wringing about "yellow cards in a clean game of football" is hugely shortsighted.

I see your point but Shields was not on a yellow because he hadn't fouled upto that point and he knew it and he didn't foul after that. Also a few of the Down players that had yellows were in fact taken off. Some of the better players can find themselves taken off as a result of a poor challenge which might not aid the game in anyway.
    But I have a problem with a Cork player getting a shoulder into the chest in the penalty area and the ref waves play on instead of giving a pen, but that's another story!;)

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I see your point but Shields was not on a yellow because he hadn't fouled upto that point and he knew it and he didn't foul after that. Also a few of the Down players that had yellows were in fact taken off. Some of the better players can find themselves taken off as a result of a poor challenge which might not aid the game in anyway.
    But I have a problem with a Cork player getting a shoulder into the chest in the penalty area and the ref waves play on instead of giving a pen, but that's another story!;)

If Goulding is out the next day he will be a HUGE loss, not just from play but frees on the right hand side and 45's

If Goulding is out the next day he will be a HUGE loss, not just from play but frees on the right hand side and 45's

Hopefully he'll be back, if not they will play down the other side a bit more I reckon. Cannot wait for the draw tomorrow, really want Mayo....for some reason. Kildare V Kerry would be very nice. Donegal have a very strong ( if limited ) game plan. The Dubs.....well they are the Dubs;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

we are running out of players though,its alright we talk about strenght in depth but i dont think the others players are quiet there yet but we,ll see

keep going wrote: »
    we are running out of players though,its alright we talk about strenght in depth but i dont think the others players are quiet there yet but we,ll see

True, but the starting 15 did ok tonight and some of the ones that came on aren't known to many outside the county but did an ok job. We really cannot afford to be down Goulding the next day though. Down 3 starting forwards for any team would be very hard indeed.

Really impressed with the way Donnacha played this evening - showing a real maturity now - even tracking back! He has come of age in the last 12 months. Kelly - yet again - did a savage amount of donkey work. So many positives from a game that could have been a banana skin if the attitude wasn't right from the start.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Counihan said he should be fit for the next day

Counihan said he should be fit for the next day

Happy days !!

Love if Cork people would e-mail/text/tweet the Sunday Game and get joe brollys view on the weekend games. i.e. 3 munster teams in the last 8, 2 northern teams beaten today, just shows northern football not up to the standard.

Love if Cork people would e-mail/text/tweet the Sunday Game and get joe brollys view on the weekend games. i.e. 3 munster teams in the last 8, 2 northern teams beaten today, just shows northern football not up to the standard.

It was probably the refs fault;)

I think everyone is wise to his 'comments', in actual fact he's getting a bit boring and predictable now.

• Advertisement

ShamoBuc wrote: »

Really impressed with the way Donnacha played this evening - showing a real maturity now - even tracking back! He has come of age in the last 12 months.

I agree.

I work in Kerry and the lads there were laughing when Kevin Mc Stay said on the Sunday Game that Donnacha could be the one that will light up the championship in 2011. The lads joked "he wouldn't light up a match never mind a championship".

Well, hes certainly doing that so far and is doing more than what the Gooch is for a player that is underrated by so many critics. Nothing better to prove his critics wrong. They mightn't be laughing now. Keep up the good work Donnacha!

What does Brolly actually know about football? he was very lucky to win an All Ireland back in 1993 with Derry and all of a sudden he has gods given right to criticise some of Corks players. Talks about how good Ulster teams defend and Derry and Down get blown away today. Wise up Brolly for once!

denisc wrote: »

Michael Shields is hardly a serial fouler.He hadnt given away a free before that and I dont think he gave away one after that.Early yellow cards is one thing but for Down to end the match with 8 and Cork with 5(Im willing to stand corrected on that) is a bit much.Nobody seems to know what Martin Clarke got his two yellow cards for,including those plugs on tv3 who couldn't even show a replay of either incident.13 yellow cards did definitely not relflect fairly on the game.At the end of the day Duffy is just a very fussy referee,IMO!

Just sent em a nice and polite tweet!Let him have it I say.If only Canty took a goal instead of fisting the point that time,We could have had a field day :P

Michael Shields is hardly a serial fouler.He hadnt given away a free before that and I dont think he gave away one after that.Early yellow cards is one thing but for Down to end the match with 8 and Cork with 5(Im willing to stand corrected on that) is a bit much.Nobody seems to know what Martin Clarke got his two yellow cards for,including those plugs on tv3 who couldn't even show a replay of either incident.13 yellow cards did definitely not relflect fairly on the game.At the end of the day Duffy is just a very fussy referee,IMO!

He is just like his brother loves being involved and is so so fussy

• Registered Users Posts: 46 denisc

Is it really such a big deal if a fellas end the match on a yellow card? Where's the problem? People have the soccer "mindset" imo when they hear about yellow cards.
    Players in soccer will try to avoid picking up yellows cos they ultimately lead to suspensions. If there are 10 yellows in soccer, then almost certainly that suggests it was a dirty match.

It's not the same in GAA. Particularly in football, yellows are absolutely vital to reduce the amount of pulling and grabbing that so many players engage in. It doesn't mean it's a dirty match.

You may call Duffy "fussy" but yesterday's match had a great flow to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

What does Brolly actually know about football? he was very lucky to win an All Ireland back in 1993 with Derry and all of a sudden he has gods given right to criticise some of Corks players. Talks about how good Ulster teams defend and Derry and Down get blown away today. Wise up Brolly for once!

If Cork had picked the right team in 1993 Brolly would have a reason to hate us...He should be thankful that Cork gave him an AI medal...

I was hoping we meet Derry at some stage...No disrespect to Derry I was there in 1993 and their fans were nothing short of fantastic and gracious and I will always remember being 10 years old in terrace and few Derry fans happened to be in the way they made apology to my Dad and got out the way...

But Brolly is making me despise Ulster football a little which is a pity because most of us in Cork would have been few counties that were glad that Ulster football got to where it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Brolly is a p***k and everyone now knows that the GAA up north is a jokeshop for the rest of the country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭sendit

Anybody see the artice by Terry Reilly in todays sports pullout in The Examiner.Joe Brolly has labelled Cork Football as primitive and Graham Canty as overrated.He also compared us to a rugby league team and says we "bludgeoned and bored" our way through every game last year.He then goes on to say that Cork are a "dumb" team.Just what has this guy got against Southern Teams and in particular Cork?He'd want to take a look at the typical Ulster style of football before he goes calling anybody primitive.

If you actually look at what he says he has a point

''On Sunday in Killarney, they floundered, but still managed to keep in touch, courtesy of hard running, frees and the virtually obligatory penalty. The over-rated Graham Canty was again shown up, by both Star and Declan O'Sullivan.
    Four points from play in the first half doesn't tell the whole story. What do people see in Canty? A Kerry man texted me at half-time.
    - I dont know was my response.
    In fairness, Kerry people are very harsh judges of a footballer. Someone like Graham, whose strengths are his physique, athleticism and never say die attitude underwhelms them. They have that in Kerry, but on top of that they have the skills. Graham does not. He has been described as a star in the hybrid Rules game and is always discussed as a great in the media. I dont see it.''

You cant really say anything against that (no dout ye will find some way to though) Cany has none of the skills you just have to see him soloing the ball to see that!

Hes a graet man to drive a team on but not as good a player as people make him out to be

• Advertisement

sendit wrote: »
    If you actually look at what he says he has a point

''On Sunday in Killarney, they floundered, but still managed to keep in touch, courtesy of hard running, frees and the virtually obligatory penalty. The over-rated Graham Canty was again shown up, by both Star and Declan O'Sullivan.
    Four points from play in the first half doesn't tell the whole story. What do people see in Canty? A Kerry man texted me at half-time.
    - I dont know was my response.
    In fairness, Kerry people are very harsh judges of a footballer. Someone like Graham, whose strengths are his physique, athleticism and never say die attitude underwhelms them. They have that in Kerry, but on top of that they have the skills. Graham does not. He has been described as a star in the hybrid Rules game and is always discussed as a great in the media. I dont see it.''
    You cant really say anything against that (no dout ye will find some way to though) Cany has none of the skills you just have to see him soloing the ball to see that!
    Hes a graet man to drive a team on but not as good a player as people make him out to be

Stopped reading there to be honest;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement