Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Touch

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Barrington wrote: »
    Been having trouble posting using the touch site all morning. Just loads about halfway, then stops. Have had to switch back to the mobile version.

The whole site was having issues this morning, which should be resolved now.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

It looks good, well done guys. My only gripe from my brief review is the Forums link up the top. Being brought to a long list (A - Z) of boards. It requires way too much scrolling IMO. I prefer the speed by which I can anonymously access forums on the current mobile site.

Just a thought. Apart from that it's lovely ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

Did notice that prefixes for some threads are missing. Like in the call of duty forum there are prefixes like Xbox or PS3. But this don't show up :( otherwise I'm liking it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Ross wrote: »
    It's gotta be paid for somehow dude. As I've mentioned, subscribers have the option of removing ads if they wish.

I won't be using it - the ads are too intrusive IMHO. I'm used to using the full version of boards on my iPhone, so I'll stick with that.

I don't buy this 'something has to pay for it' line either. You'd still be employed by boards whether you developed this, or developed something else. Why would someone viewing the same site, with the same user account subscriber or non have to have inline ads on one device and not another?

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭barbarians

Just testing this out on an iPod Touch.

Looks good but I am used to using the full site on my iPod so I will stick with that.

Just one minor note, when replying to this thread you don't get to see the latest posts in descending order in the thread like you would in the full site. Is there anyway this can be solved or something we have to live with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Looks great.

One thing I have noticed is that moved threads don't indicate that they are moved from the original forum, and sometimes don't seem to persist their read status either. Other than that no issues so far.

Actually, come to think of it and re-reading my earlier post I'm more worried about where this is going. If you have to be a subscriber to view the touch site without inline ads, how long it is going to be before you have to be a subscriber on normal boards.ie without having inline ads in the middle of threads?

Surely that's the reason for it in the touch version? Otherwise I can't see the sense in having to be a subscriber for one device, and not for another to have a less intense and intrusive browsing session.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Like the follow button. Reply button without quote would be good.

I don't like the adds.

I'll stay with m.boards

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭floyd.pepper

Excellent, looking at it now on my nexus s. God bless the work.

• Advertisement

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Like the follow button. Reply button without quote would be good.

I don't like the adds.

I'll stay with m.boards

I can live with the ads at the bottom of the page, but not all the others. I realise boards needs to make money. But people are fickle. I won't use this version until there's a solution to the ads.

When you submit a reply, you should be brought back to the last post, not the first post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Some aspects of the page are messed up on the windows phone 7 browser. For example the "fourm" link is inside the search box on a topic page.

No edit/delete post button...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

There is an edit button for me. And when I tap on it I have the choice to delete the whole post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

I don think I've ever been on boards on anything other than my iPhone, and I personally prefer the desktop layout to the new touch one, that's probably because it's the one I'm used to though. I find that with the touch one, when viewing a thread with pics and vids it can be difficult to distinguish between different posts.

There is an edit button for me. And when I tap on it I have the choice to delete the whole post.
    Not for me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Not for me
    Are you sure? What phone are you using?

Here's what I can see:
    164085.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Based on just a quick look around so far the only suggestion I'd have is if there could be a more obvious seperator between posts in a thread as they seem to sort of run together.

Other than that though I'm liking it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Just another post to add that I don't have an edit button either. On a nexus one if it helps with android 2.3.4

• Advertisement

Are you sure? What phone are you using?

Here's what I can see:
    164085.png

It's not there for me. Desire S. Gingerbread.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,237 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Actually, come to think of it and re-reading my earlier post I'm more worried about where this is going. If you have to be a subscriber to view the touch site without inline ads, how long it is going to be before you have to be a subscriber on normal boards.ie without having inline ads in the middle of threads?

Surely that's the reason for it in the touch version? Otherwise I can't see the sense in having to be a subscriber for one device, and not for another to have a less intense and intrusive browsing session.

Thats a bit of a leap to be honest. The ads have always been kept to as minimal as possible in my opinion, and no-one has given any indication that this will change. While I agree that the ads on the touch site are a little intrusive, or rather, more intrusive than what we're used to, there's no reason to believe it will change on the main site.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I've no edit button either. On a HTC HD7 using Windows phone 7.

Barrington wrote: »
    Thats a bit of a leap to be honest.

It wouldn't suprise me TBH. Since boards is owned by Daft, they'll have had time to think of new revenue streams and might be looking to make money, and as much of it as possible, either through Ad revenue, or user subscription. Currently, there's really no incentive to subscribe other than having a fancy Avatar and a star under your name.

You can be sure Ross didn't decide to put Ads in himself, that'll have been a decision made by accountants/managers. If they're thinking that way about a touch site where screen real estate isn't large, it's not a huge leap of faith to think they've already had similar thoughts about doing it for the main site too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Is it just me or is there no way to get back to the forum the thread you're reading is on? Maybe i can't see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Is it just me or is there no way to get back to the forum the thread you're reading is on? Maybe i can't see it!

Yep I'm just blind. Found it. No edit button here either though

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭smoochie06

smoochie06 wrote: »

One thing I see missing is a back to forum option at the bottom of a thread. Maybe I just missed it.

Any solution to this yet. Its getting really annoying now when I read a few pages of a thread and I can't just go back to forum.

Back to m.boards for me until it is sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,237 ✭✭✭✭Penn

One thing I see missing is a back to forum option at the bottom of a thread. Maybe I just missed it.

Any solution to this yet. Its getting really annoying now when I read a few pages of a thread and I can't just go back to forum.

Back to m.boards for me until it is sorted.

Top of the page, press the forum name. Or surely just press the Back button on your browser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

JohnK wrote: »
    Just another post to add that I don't have an edit button either. On a nexus one if it helps with android 2.3.4
    alwaysadub wrote: »
    I've no edit button either. On a HTC HD7 using Windows phone 7.
    Heya,

Is this on every post or just some posts?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Couple of things I noticed:

On the front page (latest posts) sometimes the same threads are appearing twice in the list- haven't been able to get a screengrab of this yet.
    Threads from Relationship Issues (and I can only assume PI threads as well) are showing in the Latest Posts as well- I could be wrong but I thought these threads don't appear on the front page?

In terms of general feedback, I miss the breadcrumb trail that m.boards.ie and the normal site have- say, if I was in Nutrition and Diet, I liked being able to navigate to Health and Fitness or the Rec category with one click.
    Not a fan of the inline ads- after using m.boards.ie for so long I automatically assume ad = end of page and it's pretty jarring.

Overall I think it looks great and works well on a touchscreen. Unfortunately the inline ads will probably push me back to using the mobile version though!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement