Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Touch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

When was the last time you read this big thread?

Just this morning I was reading a thread in the mma forum and it brought me to the very first post. The last time I read it before today was probably a week ago. I'm not 100% though. But it does happen on threads I read regularly though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

Dean09 wrote: »
    Just this morning I was reading a thread in the mma forum and it brought me to the very first post. The last time I read it before today was probably a week ago. I'm not 100% though. But it does happen on threads I read regularly though.

I'm going to put an hour in on this today and see if I can at least replicate the bug.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm going to put an hour in on this today and see if I can at least replicate the bug.

It happens to me too. If I haven't read a thread in a couple of weeks and I hit the "go to last read post" button, I get brought to the first post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Happens to me aswell.

Will keep an eye out on age of Threads I'm opening but near sure it happened on one that I'd been reading the day before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Another small bug that I get is seeing threads on my user CP that I no longer have access to. If I refresh they don't re-appear and it's only on touch.

That's the moderators forum and the lock inn that I no longer have access to

• Advertisement

It happens to me too. If I haven't read a thread in a couple of weeks and I hit the "go to last read post" button, I get brought to the first post.

This is expected (although not ideal) behaviour. We only track the last time you read a thread for 10 days. So if you enter a thread for the first time in > 10 days we have no idea what time you left off. This is the same for the main site as it's controlled by a setting defined in vBulletin.

I put in a bit of time testing this yesterday and I'm pretty confident that there are no bugs in it. So anyone who has experienced this problem hasn't read the thread in 10 days or more.

It would be nice to increase this time a little bit but I'll have to investigate further what the implications are for server load.

Slidey wrote: »
    Another small bug that I get is seeing threads on my user CP that I no longer have access to. If I refresh they don't re-appear and it's only on touch.

That's the moderators forum and the lock inn that I no longer have access to

This is a known issue with how we calculate permissions, we're in the testing stage of a fairly major overhaul of permission caching. Once that goes live it should resolve this problem.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

This is expected (although not ideal) behaviour. We only track the last time you read a thread for 10 days. So if you enter a thread for the first time in > 10 days we have no idea what time you left off. This is the same for the main site as it's controlled by a setting defined in vBulletin.

I put in a bit of time testing this yesterday and I'm pretty confident that there are no bugs in it. So anyone who has experienced this problem hasn't read the thread in 10 days or more.

It would be nice to increase this time a little bit but I'll have to investigate further what the implications are for server load.

I've never noticed it happening on the main site. I'll keep an eye out for it though.

Edit: It doesn't happen to me on the main site. I viewed this thread earlier (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81400070#post81400070) and it brought me to that post (773) despite me not having read the thread since the previous post which was 3 weeks ago.

Edit 2: Same with the Viber thread (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81403118#post81403118). I went to both of those threads from my user CP.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I was browsing the Christmas countdown thread, as you do ;) and noticed that posts posted today in the wee hours of the morning are labelled as 'yesterday' even though they were after midnight and are labelled as october 31st. http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056503634?page=18 it's only on touch boards as far as I can see. Obviously isn't a problem but might be a bug of some sort?!

While trying to post this I got 'failed to decode JSON. Syntax error'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I'm getting this failed to decode JSON syntax error too..... Posts are going through but it doesn't look like they are when you hit post...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I can barely browse the touch site when away from home anymore as this is happening on almost every thread. The only way I'm able to read a thread is to stop the page loading before it gets to the ad, otherwise I get redirected. Note: this only happens on 3G (O2).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Im only starting to use the Firefox Browser on Galaxy S II as Chrome crashes a lot when you try type. Iv noticed in the Ray Darcy thread the buttons are all on top of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

I know that ye need adds and all that for revenue for the site but the size of this ad on the mobile site is a bit big for a middle of thread ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Is there anyway of fixing the problem with big threads on the mobile site? If there's a large thread that I haven't opened in a few days, opening it on the mobile site almost always opens it right at the start (actually I just thought of another idea, page numbers at the top of the page as well please), even though I've read three quarters of it, so then I have to try and find where I left off which can take a while.

At least on the full site I can just click the little blue button and I'm back where I was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I've a major one, the touch site is missing a favicon

• Subscribers Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭.BrianJM

Is this project still active?
    I sometimes use my phone to catch up and in the last couple of months there has been a slight (not critical) glitch.
    On startup I open at 'my threads'.
    Upon selection I get a 404 error with a page of poetic prose from boards.
    Refreshing resumes normal service ~~ until I go back and select another thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Auld-Yin wrote: »
    Is this project still active?
    I sometimes uses my phone to catch up and in the last couple of months there has been a slight (not critical) glitch.
    On startup I open at 'my threads'.
    Upon selection I get a 404 error with a page of poetic prose from boards.
    Refreshing resumes normal service ~~ until I go back and select another thread!

Touch is going nowhere and it's very much active. It is no longer in beta though, so bug reports tend to get their own thread. Next time you reach a 404 page from my threads please post the link you received the 404 on to this thread (or start a new one if you prefer) and we'll do our best to get to the bottom of the problem.

Danny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Kudos guys for the MASSIVE speed improvements and response times to clicks, the touch site is like it's been injected with rocket fuel! :D

Oh, and the page numbers top and bottom, yeah, that's handy too, I guess... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I'm just wondering how come followed threads don't show up as a notification on the touch site?
    Are there any plans to implement this?

• Advertisement

El Guapo! wrote: »
    I'm just wondering how come followed threads don't show up as a notification on the touch site?
    Are there any plans to implement this?

If there are going to be several things that lead to notifications on touch then there needs to be somewhere you can find out what is the notification is. There is no notifications dashboard/quick view on touch - no place to let you know exactly what the notification is so we've stuck with only PMs for now.

I'm sure it will be implemented over time, it would be a very nice addition.

Danny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I know I have asked before and I dont really mean to harp on about it but the link to the last viewed post in a thread gets all funny if you havent viewed a thread in a while. You end up at the first page and have to click last page and work your way back which isn't that easy on touch.

As I post from the touch site 90% of the time this is a proper PITA.

Any idea if this is going to be addressed?

Touch is going nowhere and it's very much active. It is no longer in beta though, so bug reports tend to get their own thread. Next time you reach a 404 page from my threads please post the link you received the 404 on to this thread (or start a new one if you prefer) and we'll do our best to get to the bottom of the problem.

Danny
    Pick a thread; any thread, and get a 404.
    e.g. a few minutes ago I took the first thread in 'LATEST' and got the prose and ditto whenever I change to another.

...or as I've just discovered, the same happens after posting.
    This applies to phone and tablet.
    Will try it on PC tomorrow. :)

Hi,

I'll still need you to copy the full URL you're hitting into a post before we can look in to it.

Danny

Hi,

I'll still need you to copy the full URL you're hitting into a post before we can look in to it.

Danny

random example:
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056970406/1/#post85059630

Auld-Yin wrote: »

There's no 404 there for me :confused:

Danny

C'est la vie

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The my threads tab no longer has the page numbers showing so you can't move past the initial page. Been like this for a few days. The other tabs (my forums and most recent) are fine.

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    The my threads tab no longer has the page numbers showing so you can't move past the initial page. Been like this for a few days. The other tabs (my forums and most recent) are fine.

Same here.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement