Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Touch site and older threads.

Options
  • 27-08-2013 6:21pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As reported a few times in the main touch site thread there is a problem with the touch site when older threads you have read get bumped. If a thread you have read hasn't been posted in in at least a few weeks (from my limited testing 10 days seems to be when the issue arises) and you click the first new post button, on the touch site you get brought to the very first page of a thread whereas on the main site you get brought to the first newest post.

Earlier in the thread Danny posted this:
    The main site does not remember forever, it also remembers for 10 days. I'm trying to find out what the main site does in the event that we don't have a thread read/forum read time for a user - what does it use then? Because our API resorts to the first post of the thread, and that's the problem.

I've done a bit of testing on this in some forums I have never entered and big threads I've never read (at least as far as I can be sure). In my experience in a thread where the site has no read information stored (either it hasn't saved it because it's older than 10 days or the user has never read the thread before) it won't bring me to the first post of the thread like Danny says, it will bring me to the first post made in the last 10 days.

For example, in the Kildare forum there is a thread about Newbridge Credit Union. I've never accessed the forum or this thread before. When I clicked this link it brings me to this post which is the first post made in the past 10 days (I clicked the link at 18:07 so the post before it is technically older than 10 days). On the touch site this would bring me to the very first post of the thread. In threads like this it's not a big deal but on a thread that I am subbed to that has been bumped it is an annoyance as others have reported.

TLDR: When an old thread gets bumped the site will have no information about the user's read status of the thread. The main site will direct them to the first newest post made in the last 10 days whereas the touch site will direct them to the first post of the thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Boards.ie: Rónán

As reported a few times in the main touch site thread there is a problem with the touch site when older threads you have read get bumped. If a thread you have read hasn't been posted in in at least a few weeks (from my limited testing 10 days seems to be when the issue arises) and you click the first new post button, on the touch site you get brought to the very first page of a thread whereas on the main site you get brought to the first newest post.

Earlier in the thread Danny posted this:

I've done a bit of testing on this in some forums I have never entered and big threads I've never read (at least as far as I can be sure). In my experience in a thread where the site has no read information stored (either it hasn't saved it because it's older than 10 days or the user has never read the thread before) it won't bring me to the first post of the thread like Danny says, it will bring me to the first post made in the last 10 days.

For example, in the Kildare forum there is a thread about Newbridge Credit Union. I've never accessed the forum or this thread before. When I clicked this link it brings me to this post which is the first post made in the past 10 days (I clicked the link at 18:07 so the post before it is technically older than 10 days). On the touch site this would bring me to the very first post of the thread. In threads like this it's not a big deal but on a thread that I am subbed to that has been bumped it is an annoyance as others have reported.

TLDR: When an old thread gets bumped the site will have no information about the user's read status of the thread. The main site will direct them to the first newest post made in the last 10 days whereas the touch site will direct them to the first post of the thread.

Thanks a mil for the above, ill take a look into it in the morning

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Ah, clever! It works pretty seamlessly. Good work figuring it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Boards.ie: Rónán

We're aiming to hopefully have this fixed up some stage mid / end of next week. Just a bit busy in here atm :/ Thanks for your patience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Boards.ie: Alvis

Hello there AlmightyCushion,

The situation on the touch site with regards to how the link to a bumped thread which you have read will point all the way to the start of the post is not ideal. But this is a limitation of how we can only realistically keep 10 day's worth of thread read/unread data. Any more and our database would just be enormous.

After the site has forgotten whether you have read or unread (after the 10 day threshold), the "Go to first new post" link will indeed point you to the post made 10 days ago in that thread as you have discovered. That little button doesn't have an equivalent on the touch site right now. Threads in the touch site's forum view only have two links, one to the most recent post (irregardless of whether it is read or not) which you get when you click the timestamp and a link in the thread title. The link to thread title will link you to the last unread post if the site still has read/unread data for you on that thread, else it will always default to the OP's post.

Old threads that you have read ages ago that get bumped therefore default to the OP's post, because the touch site doesn't have the little "Go to the first new post" button which will take you to the post made 10 days ago. We don't feel comfortable making the thread title link to a post 10 days ago and would rather it behave like the thread title on the main site, which is bring you to the first post of the thread.

So the functionality that you want can only be done with the addition of another button, and figuring out the best placement into a cramped small space such as the thread in a forum view on the touch is not something we want to just slap in there without much thought.

So we'll need to figure out how and where to add this new link to cover this scenario. We'll keep you guys updated on any updates about this.

(Sorry if that sounded very confusing, anything you're unclear about just give us a shout)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement