Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fuel Prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭creedp

gbee wrote: »
    Not really an attributable figure. The reality is that when we had "100%" employment we had some 500% more in employment, close to 8 million and some believed the real figure was closer to 12 million including the 'unofficial' employed.

The reality is that the percentage burden is greater now with 1.6 million employed supporting some .8 million unemployed PLUS ALL the Civil Service. :cool:

Yea if only we didn't have teachers, nurses, gardai, etc, etc then the private sector workers would be having a ball - a minimum of a 12 D 5.20d for all ........ let the goods time roll again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

creedp wrote: »
    Yea if only we didn't have teachers, nurses, gardai, etc, etc then the private sector workers would be having a ball - a minimum of a 12 D 5.20d for all ........ let the goods time roll again

For some reason the Irish civil service always gets described as "teachers, gardai and nurses", but no one ever mentions the 20000 useless penpushers in cushy admin jobs, whose most strenuous task is to fill the time before the next tea break with something resembling productive activity.
    The problem with most of them is that they got pulled onboard by mates and family during the 80's, it was a posh way of being on the dole.
    So fire them, it's cheaper having them on the dole rather than earning €40k+ minimum.
    In fact it would probably be cheaper to send them all home on full pay and close most government offices.
    You could run this country with a few hundred people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭creedp

For some reason the Irish civil service always gets described as "teachers, gardai and nurses", but no one ever mentions the 20000 useless penpushers in cushy admin jobs, whose most strenuous task is to fill the time before the next tea break with something resembling productive activity.
    The problem with most of them is that they got pulled onboard by mates and family during the 80's, it was a posh way of being on the dole.
    So fire them, it's cheaper having them on the dole rather than earning €40k+ minimum.
    In fact it would probably be cheaper to send them all home on full pay and close most government offices.
    You could run this country with a few hundred people.

You must be a journalist writing for the Sunday Independent. Now there is a cushy number, just come up with a witty but factually challenged heading and cut and paste

creedp wrote: »
    You must be a journalist writing for the Sunday Independent. Now there is a cushy number, just come up with a witty but factually challenged heading and cut and paste

All Aboard The Gravy Train!
    (ok, being a bit :P now)
    Nope, but in a previous job networking and maintaining printing and scanning equipment I got to see many offices belonging to revenue, health board, local authorities and many other government buildings across the Midwest and even some in Cork and Dublin and in my time there I certainly did not witness any undue stress displayed by the people working there.
    Compared to where I work now (horrible, loud, dirty, stressful, tons of pressure, shouts of "C'mon, c'mon, haven't you got that done yet, faster, faster?!" and sh*te pay) it was about as hectic as your average church in the countryside during quite reflective time.
    You must be one of those stressed out nurses, gards, firemen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

€1.58.9 on the Ballymun Road today :(

Needle barely moving in the car and feel like its eating through the stuff.

The upward trend is a pain, I'd love for it to fall back to €1.50 (even though thats too high), a month or two ago when it was at those prices it was annoying.

In a few weeks I'll be wishing it was back to €1.58

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

€1.58.9 on the Ballymun Road today :(

Needle barely moving in the car and feel like its eating through the stuff.

The upward trend is a pain, I'd love for it to fall back to €1.50 (even though thats too high), a month or two ago when it was at those prices it was annoying.

In a few weeks I'll be wishing it was back to €1.58

I don't wish for it to come down to €1.50. It should go down to €1.30-€1.40 tops level. I don't cry about it not being €1.50 anymore, I'm mad at the government about not giving a bloody damn thing about its citizens and not lowering the tax on the fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Our local station today :(

152.9 Diesel
    154.9 Petrol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

, back roads near navan, 145 for diesel, 147 for petrol(local shop been there for years so must be clean fuel) How are they doing it for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Petrol and Diesel were both 154.9 at Tesco in Waterford today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

mcwhirter wrote: »
    ,local shop been there for years so must be clean fuel)

not so sadly, what site is it, pm if you like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Roughly 80c of a litre of fuel is tax/duty. The other 70c is the base cost.

As the € has lost roughly 10% against the $ in the last month, and the price of crude oil has gone up 10%ish also in the last month, this will probably add 10-15c/litre.

I can see both petrol and diesel breaking €1.60 in the next few weeks :(:(:(

Edit.......

Found a link from AA showing the full tax/duty breakdown

link

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

158.9 for unleaded and 156.9 for diesel :(

i can't afford this much longer

Maybe we should actually do something about it, instead of complaining about it all the time, and then complaining more by the time it gets to €2.10/litre??

Actually, that made me wonder...

I fill up for about 55 quid each week. So if the government gets a half of that, it means I support it with €110 each month, let's say another 50,000 motorists fill up for the same I do and you get 66 million in fuel taxes a year... How's this country in economic crisis? I think we're getting screwed straight up the...

+ Add the motor tax @ 660 per annum, 50,000 people = another 33 million. So the country gets 100 million in car taxes a year????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

fryup wrote: »
    158.9 for unleaded and 156.9 for diesel :(

i can't afford this much longer

I worked in a petrol station for over a decade in the 1980s everyone said it day after day in the 80's and the 90's but nothing has changed we all put up with inflating high prices nobody goes back to walking and the bike :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

The vat increase is only temporary to pull in funds in 6 to 12 months we should be back to normal prices as the state will loose revenue to the north & the internet if they keep the vat rate high.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

homingbird wrote: »
    The vat increase is only temporary to pull in funds in 6 to 12 months we should be back to normal prices as the state will loose revenue to the north & the internet if they keep the vat rate high.

Ha ha LOL, your very innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I worked in a petrol station for over a decade in the 1980s everyone said it day after day in the 80's and the 90's but nothing has changed we all put up with inflating high prices nobody goes back to walking and the bike :D
    And most of people never will, even if the price goes up to 5 or 10 Euro per litre. They will only complain more ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Eleganza

Diesel at €1.38.9 in Germany yesterday.
    For me that is a saving of about 6 euro on a tank compared to Irish prices.

and demand is suffering as a result
    http://omrpublic.iea.org/demand/ir_dl_ov.pdf
    http://omrpublic.iea.org/demand/ir_gs_ov.pdf
    http://omrpublic.iea.org/demand/ir_jk_ov.pdf
    http://omrpublic.iea.org/demand/ir_ho_ov.pdf

if you want cheaper cars, tax and fuel then you'll just have to emigrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭doopa

mullingar wrote: »
    Roughly 80c of a litre of fuel is tax/duty. The other 70c is the base cost.

As the € has lost roughly 10% against the $ in the last month, and the price of crude oil has gone up 10%ish also in the last month, this will probably add 10-15c/litre.

I can see both petrol and diesel breaking €1.60 in the next few weeks :(:(:(

Edit.......

Found a link from AA showing the full tax/duty breakdown

link
    Is there really no country that sells crude oil in Euros? Surely that would stop these random fluxuations?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

voojeq wrote: »
    yeah but when you're on dole in Poland you cant even afford the food, thats why noone is on it and everyone's working :D

there's work in Ireland you just have to find it, I agree it isnt that easy as it was before but getting a proper job here is still possible

are you looking for anything specific btw? IT sector seems very healthy

Polish unemployment is currently 12.1%. So not everyone is working.

Agreed though that dole is insufficient to live meaning that most unemployed live with and off family and those who don't are left to choose between crime and death.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Eleganza wrote: »
    and demand is suffering as a result

The Greens a dancing a gig right now, their policy to get us to use less oil is working. They'll be dancing naked in St Stephens Green come next full moon.

Eleganza wrote: »
    if you want cheaper cars, tax and fuel then you'll just have to emigrate.

And that is exactly what is happening, sadly.
    The government is broke and being sustained by loans it cannot ever hope to repay.
    So their idea is "Hey, let's tax our way out of this!".
    More taxes means less money, less spend, businesses closing down, rates down, more people unemployed, tax take down, more loans, higher taxes and it all starts again.
    Protests won't help, voting another shower in won't help, the only consequence will be to default on your mortgage, therefore deepening the hole for the banks, more government money into the banks, higher taxes and so on.
    The inescapable conclusion is that this won't end well.
    Those who can, get out and the others will clog up the dole queue.
    The lucky few who have jobs will pay double the tax in ten years.
    The others will lose everything.
    If there was intelligence in government this would be obvious, but a country isn't run on intelligence, it is run on "tax take is down, let's raise taxes".
    I have absolutely zero faith in the government, no matter what bastards are in it.

And that is exactly what is happening, sadly.
    The government is broke and being sustained by loans it cannot ever hope to repay.
    So their idea is "Hey, let's tax our way out of this!".
    More taxes means less money, less spend, businesses closing down, rates down, more people unemployed, tax take down, more loans, higher taxes and it all starts again.
    Protests won't help, voting another shower in won't help, the only consequence will be to default on your mortgage, therefore deepening the hole for the banks, more government money into the banks, higher taxes and so on.
    The inescapable conclusion is that this won't end well.
    Those who can, get out and the others will clog up the dole queue.
    The lucky few who have jobs will pay double the tax in ten years.
    The others will lose everything.
    If there was intelligence in government this would be obvious, but a country isn't run on intelligence, it is run on "tax take is down, let's raise taxes".
    I have absolutely zero faith in the government, no matter what bastards are in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjG4gWfSeyI

Reminded me of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

doopa wrote: »
    Is there really no country that sells crude oil in Euros? Surely that would stop these random fluxuations?

We went to war with Saddam primarily because he sold oil in the Euro which did two things, it made the Euro stronger than the US dollar and cut off the scam that the US perpetrate in the oil dollar scam.

It works like this, everyone buys oil in dollars and the US sells dollars to everyone so they can buy the stuff, then the dollar is sent back to the US treachery in a slight of hand move, we've all made a few payments to the US for just buying the stuff.

THEN, then we have it as a commodity, now this should be made illegal as any trick in the book is used to jack up the price with one story or crisis after the other, Iran is threatening to close the gulf for a few days for it's naval exercise, Wall Street jack up the price of oil and release a false rumour that Iran is closing the gulf permanently ~ next. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭voojeq

I already feel like im paying double taxes, since all this recession BS started there's just more levy's and taxes introduced.

I've never had a single loan but I'm paying back something and i dont even know what is it and how much i have to pay back. When will this nightmare end.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭questionquick

voojeq wrote: »
    When will this nightmare end.

I wouldnt hold your breath. Things might start getting better closer to 2020.. Then again they might get worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Would love to know hoe much both governments are spending on customs out dipping for red/green diesel because they put the prices up? Nearly everyday they have been in carrickmore jonesboro forkhill castleblaney camlough etc. And we pay for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

102 euro in the 5 series today ..grrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Used to fill up car with 60 euros a while back , its 90 now.

WISH SALARY HAD GONE UP BY 50% TOO.

Oh hang on, its gone down by 20%, well thats me stuffed then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

A good friend of mine, who's well up on his economic matters, told me a year ago that when all this is said and done, he thinks fuel will finish off around 2 quid a litre and stay there for a good while. He calls this the new benchmark for world economic matters. I call it less fun too drive :(

Advertisement