Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legacy of Brian Lenihan

Options

Comments

later10 wrote: »
    Why, do you think all the children would be at home getting ready for work in the morning if he had let the banks go down? Have any savings yourself?

Anglo should not have been saved yet he prioritised it and nationalised it!!!
    Now that should tell you all you need to know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Anglo should not have been saved yet he prioritised it and nationalised it!!!
    Now that should tell you all you need to know
    Anglo is reasonably debatable, but the poster said the banks... banks... plural.

Anglo is reasonably debatable, but the poster said the banks... banks... plural.

yeah fair enough point but the general gist of blowing so much money on say anglo alone then is enough that our children will be paying :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭DexyDrain

Honohan's report was clear enough, Anglo was of systemic importance, letting it fall would have been a more uncontrollable disaster than letting the air out of the balloon slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

yeah fair enough point but the general gist of blowing so much money on say anglo alone then is enough that our children will be paying :(

The problem with not guaranteeing Anglo was contagion. Anglo was a mess, as it turned out, they all were. I don't think too many envisaged the total collapse of Irish banks and building societies, even EBS who were relatively safe.

I think there's too much focus on the guarantee with the benefit of hindsight. Once it was obvious we were lied to Anglo should have been ditched in an orderly fashion.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

DexyDrain wrote: »
    Honohan's report was clear enough, Anglo was of systemic importance, letting it fall would have been a more uncontrollable disaster than letting the air out of the balloon slowly.

They manipulated shareholders, so they take the wrap, and not be treated like royalty by daddy Government.

Just like we would expect a drunk driver who has killed someone, to not be back on the roads again.

That's where we had our backs to the wall. The only money flowing into the banks was from the EU, without that the banks would have fallen, they had a very simple condition: do not let a bank fall, do not scare the sh*t out of bondholders.

That's where we had our backs to the wall. The only money flowing into the banks was from the EU, without that the banks would have fallen, they had a very simple condition: do not let a bank fall, do not scare the sh*t out of bondholders.

Nope, the message is: protect the elite before everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

Di0genes wrote: »
    It's a dishonest claim that Mc Williams and Mc Williams only convinced Lenihan to do engage in a blanket bank guarantee.

I'll admit you could have just been ignorant and been incorrect. But you made it seem like you were completely sure of the facts, so to my mind it's dishonest.
    Don't dismiss something without checking the facts yourself. Thats dishonest.
    McWilliams admitted advising Lenihan in the days before the guarantee was announced.
    http://www.tribune.ie/news/editorial-opinion/article/2011/jan/16/diarmuid-doyle-after-his-bank-guarantee-david-mcwi/
    Was the Tribune sued by McWilliams for printing this story? No. So do the math.

Nope, the message is: protect the elite before everyone else.

Eh, investors, bondholders, hedge funds do not give a flying f*ck who lives on the posh side of town in Dublin or Hamburg, they just want to avoid poor performing assets and bad debts.

• Advertisement

Eh, investors, bondholders, hedge funds do not give a flying f*ck who lives on the posh side of town in Dublin or Hamburg, they just want to avoid poor performing assets and bad debts.

I meant the actions of the Dept. of finance. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

gandalf wrote: »
    The man was part of the FF Governments who have caused the ruination of this country and was directly responsible for the disastrous bank guarantee scheme.

I also disagree with those that say he was brave to continue on after his diagnosis with cancer. I believe he was arrogant and irresponsible both to his family and the country for carrying on. I certainly do not believe he was in the right frame of mind to make sound decisions on the financial future of this country. If Cowen was a proper leader he should have insisted that his friend take a leave of absence but we already know what a spineless poor leader he was.

Did you know him?

Coming on here and saying he was irresponsible to his family is a very low comment. Some of which will probably read this thread I know BLs legacy will be discussed. But pease not now.

Its really disrespectful IMHO

The boards.ie Mods should lock all BL threads until Monday.

What actions in particular were designed to protect 'the elites'? Really curious now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Di0genes

KINGVictor wrote: »

In retrospect, should he have made some of the decisions he made as Minister of Finance...absolutely not. That is why we can make this assertions in a retrospective manner like any of us would have done things differently giving the time constraints. Do not forget that he sought advise from various reputable organisations and interested bodies that actually encouraged him to give a blanket guarantee!...

In retrospect, whom or did or did not seek advise from is irrelevant. He made the decisions.

Another interesting view held by some posters is the fact that some people have committed suicide because of the current economic crises...very tragic!!, but the truth is that people were killing themselves at the height of the boom also when money was hardly scarce. I think that has to do with mental conditions rather than economic implications. One could indeed argue that if they were strong minded then there would be no need to kill themselves. Far more people in worse economic conditions that overcome the challenges.
    Thats profoundly classy.
    In summary, BL made serious errors of judgement but I doubt we can question his loyalty to the Irish people.
    He made decisions that protected investors in Irish banks at the expense of Irish Taxpayers.

Put simply he ensured people who gambled on Ireland where paid were paid, and he did so by passing the bill to the Irish People.

So yes he made serious errors of judgement and he made the Irish People pay for it.

So yes quiet frankly I do question his loyalty to the Irish people and I'm very comfortable doing so.

What actions in particular were designed to protect 'the elites'? Really curious now.

NAMA, bailouts, IMF intervention?

Stop playing innocent here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Not true and that's actually a distortion.

From the Vanity fair piece
    What exactly was said in meetings on
    the night of September 29, 2008,
    remains, amazingly, something
    of a secret. The government has refused
    Freedom of Information Act–type requests
    for records. But gathered around the conference
    tables inside the prime minister’s
    offices was an array of top government and
    finance officials, including Lenihan, Cowen,
    the attorney general, and bank officials and
    regulators. Eventually they brought in the
    heads of the two yet-to-be-disgraced big Irish
    banks: A.I.B. and Bank of Ireland. Evidently
    they either lied to Brian Lenihan about the
    extent of their losses or didn’t know themselves
    what those were. Or both. “At the time
    they were all saying the same thing,” an Irish
    a choice: Should he believe the people immediately
    around him or the financial markets?

Should he trust the family or the experts?
    He stuck with the family. Ireland gave
    its promise. And the promise sank Ireland.
    Even at the time, the decision seemed
    a bit odd. The Irish banks, like the
    big American banks, managed to
    persuade a lot of people that they were so
    intertwined with their economy that their
    failure would bring down a lot of other
    things, too. But they weren’t, at least not
    all of them. Anglo Irish Bank had only six
    branches in Ireland, no A.T.M.’s, and no
    organic relationship with Irish business except
    the property developers. It lent money
    to people to buy land and build: that’s
    practically all it did. It did this mainly with
    money it had borrowed from foreigners. It
    was not, by nature, systemic. It became so
    only when its losses were made everyone’s.

In any case, if the Irish wanted to save
    their banks, why not guarantee just the
    deposits? There’s a big difference between
    depositors and bondholders: depositors
    can flee. The immediate danger to the
    banks was that savers who had put money
    into them would take their money out,
    and the banks would be without funds.
    The investors who owned the roughly 80billion euros of Irish bank bonds, on the
    other hand, were stuck. They couldn’t take
    their money out of the bank. And their 80
    billion euros very nearly exactly covered
    the eventual losses inside the Irish banks.
    These private bondholders didn’t have any
    right to be made whole by the Irish government.

The bondholders didn’t even expect
    to be made whole by the Irish government.
    Not long ago I spoke with a former senior
    Merrill Lynch bond trader who, on September
    29, 2008, owned a pile of bonds in
    one of the Irish banks. He’d already tried
    to sell them back to the bank for 50 cents
    on the dollar—that is, he’d offered to take
    a huge loss, just to get out of them. On the
    morning of September 30 he awakened to
    find his bonds worth 100 cents on the dollar.
    The Irish government had guaranteed
    them! He couldn’t believe his luck. Across
    the financial markets this episode repeated
    itself. People who had made a private bet
    that went bad, and didn’t expect to be
    repaid in full, were handed their money
    back—from the Irish taxpayer.
    In retrospect, now that the Irish bank
    losses are known to be world-historically
    huge, the decision to cover them appears
    not merely odd but suicidal. A handful of
    Irish bankers incurred debts they could
    never repay, of something like 100 billion
    euros. They may have had no idea what
    they were doing, but they did it all the
    same. Their debts were private—owed by
    them to investors around the world—and
    still the Irish people have undertaken to
    repay them as if they were obligations of
    the state. For two years they have labored
    under this impossible burden with scarcely
    a peep of protest. What’s more, all of
    the policy decisions since September 29,
    2008, have set the hook more firmly inside
    the mouths of the Irish public.

In January 2009 the Irish government nationalized
    Anglo Irish and its 34-billion-euro (and
    mounting) losses. In late 2009 they created
    the Irish version of the tarp program, but,
    unlike the U.S. government (which ended
    up buying stakes in the banks), they actually
    followed through on the plan and are
    in the process of buying 70 billion euros
    of crappy assets from the Irish banks.

Wait, let me get a pen and paper, you think the setting up of NAMA (which developers go to court to fight off), bailouts to keep our banks doors open for when you want to actually access your wages, life savings, credit facility etc. and the insistence of the IMF in being part of any special below market interest rate loans within the eurozone, is proof the Dept. of Finance really just wanted to protect elites?? Really?

IMF intervention?
    And without IMF intervention, how would the state fund frontline services and welfare supports? frustration?

I'll dig you out the quote and reference so you can actually check yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Wait, let me get a pen and paper, you think the setting up of NAMA (which developers go to court to fight off), bailouts to keep our banks doors open for when you want to actually access your wages, life savings, credit facility etc. and the insistence of the IMF in being part of any special below market interest rate loans within the eurozone, is proof the Dept. of Finance really just wanted to protect elites?? Really?

I don't think you know what you are talking about.Out of your depth. You betray a monumental ignorance of what went on.
    Sorry if that's harsh but it's true.

And without IMF intervention, how would the state fund frontline services and welfare supports? frustration?

If we had not created NAMA to bail out property developers, or created a bank guarantee to bail out bank speculators we would not have needed such a epic bail out for our frontline services and welfare support.

Here you go, Box 8.4, Pg 131 I've highlighted a sentence you may have missed.
    Under these circumstances a default by a €100 billion bank such as Anglo Irish Bank
    would undoubtedly have put funding pressure on the other main Irish banks via contagion,
    given the broad similarities in the type and geography of their property-related lending,
    their common implicit reliance on the backing of the Irish State, and even name confusion.
    In this sense, the systemic importance of Anglo Irish Bank at that time cannot seriously be
    disputed

http://www.bankinginquiry.gov.ie/The%20Irish%20Banking%20Crisis%20Regulatory%20and%20Financial%20Stability%20Policy%202003-2008.pdf

I don't think you know what you are talking about.Out of your depth. You betray a monumental ignorance of what went on.
    Sorry if that's harsh but it's true.

If it's true, stick around and make your point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭tweedledee

So many naive people here.People seem to think that the first bailout took place in minutes with no time to spare and honahan is a saint from heaven with no involvment.Remember the start of the movie Wall Street 2,with all the bankers and polititians sitting around the table thats how its actually done in real life.
    Major players about major issues all singing from the same hym sheet.
    Plans are discussed for hours,showpieces are planned way in advance,contacts in EVERY media are contacted and they feed the gullible public what is needed to know.
    Linehan.Cowan and his posse sat down for hours and discussed everything in detail.
    The garbage on the papers/tv is just that, government garbage which the Irish swallow every time which is why we are in the state we are in.

If we had not created NAMA to bail out property developers, or created a bank guarantee to bail out bank speculators we would not have needed such a epic bail out for our frontline services and welfare support.

Tell me how NAMA works, as you understand it.

The guarantee prevented the closure of the banks within 24-48 hours. If you keep your gold bullion stashed in the garden pond, that's no problem. Read the Honohan report.

For the taxpayer? It will just saddle more debt onto them overtime, while allowing for inflation of property prices.

Frank Daly wants to stop the fall in commercial property prices, but how many will be wealthy enough to get on this ladder, once everyone has taken 'some of the pain'. The letters S C A M come to mind.

Elites in the public sector have no intention of taking on considerable reductions either, which limits the distribution of money too.

BTW, i've noticed you have only joined here since Lenihan's death, but i'm sure you really are an 'independent' contributor.

For the taxpayer? It will just saddle more debt onto them overtime, while allowing for inflation of property prices.

Frank Daly wants to stop the fall in commercial property prices, but how many will be wealthy enough to get on this ladder, once everyone has taken 'some of the pain'. The letters S C A M come to mind.

Elites in the public sector have no intention of taking on considerable reductions either, which limits the distribution of money too.

BTW, i've noticed you have only joined here since Lenihan's death, but i'm sure you really are an 'independent' contributor.

You have noticed incorrectly :) I am not psychic before you ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭tweedledee

for Later,the state has and still has,25 BILLION in cash reserves to play with,thats why the EU are treating us sooo badly,they know we have the ability to pay our way.

• Advertisement

Can you look back into your tea cups, Madame Diogenes, and tell us what our status would be without a banking sector, and further what the implications of no bank guarantee might have been for household savers and the average worker?

Oh and the lottery numbers while youre at it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement