Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legacy of Brian Lenihan

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

the minimum needs to be reduced but can only happen whenthe welfare is dramatically cut. no point having anymore low paid workers opting to stay at home and live off the dole

For once you are talking sense.
    anymore wrote: »
    I dont know of any job whatsoever where no training is required !

I believe that is being pedantic.
    The poster is probably talking about unskilled workers.
    There are jobs out there as mentioned by same poster where the training necessary is at most a couple of hours.
    How many hours would you need to train someone to be a cleaner ?
    Perhaps you subscribe to the Irish thinking over the last decade plus that everyone should have some sort of degree or certificate ?
    They are unskilled jobs we are talking about.

We need to push the cost of doing business lower and we need to make the coutnry more attractive for tourists once again.
    To help do this we need to push labour costs lower as well as pushing down rates, etc.

We can only push down labour costs if we push down unemployment benefits, so that it is not more attractive to stay on welfare than take a low paying job.
    And to that we need to push cost of living lower and one of my big bugbears here is the cost of professional services in this country e.g medical expenses.

It is time people wise up and stop comparing our wage rates/welfare rates to Finland or Germany.
    We need to be compared to the likes of Spain, Portugal and Britain.

Comparing us to our nearest neighbour shows how skewed we have become.
    Look at our welfare rates compared to Britain & more importantly NI and then look at how tourist numbers from Uk have fallen off drastically.

I am not allowed discuss …

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement