Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OSX Lion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

The tip regarding mdworker and spotlight is interesting as if I leave iphoto in the background it increases it's use of system memory over time. Safari is noticeably more intensive with adblock on than when I had it uninstalled. Extensions seem to be a problem at the moment. Is a full screen app still 'open' as opposed to minimising to the launchpad? If so, that would explain the memory usage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

phutyle wrote: »
    I ran Activity Monitor. I noticed a process called mdworker taking the top spot in the CPU activity every now and then. When I'd make a basic edit in Aperture, mdworker was kicking in at over 80%. It seems that mdworker is part of Spotlight, so even though Spotlight finished its index after I installed Lion a few days ago, this process seems to have been indexing every little change in Aperture - which is a right pain, since I'd never want to use Spotlight to find anything I have stored in Aperture.

In Spotlight's preferences, you can exclude folders from the index, but my photos are all stored in the Aperture library (basically one big file), so you can't specifically exclude it. So I just moved the library into a new folder and excluded that from the Spotlight index. mdworker isn't running now when I do edits to my photos, and Aperture seems to be running better - but I haven't had a chance to have a good run at it yet. So here's hoping that bit is fixed anyway. When I get a chance, I'll have to see why Safari is getting so many spinning beachballs too - probably 1Password or some plug-in like that.

They seem to have properly borked up spotlight.
    But damn, this cursor jumping is annoying!
    Cursor jumping ?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

For those of you having issues, did any of you do a clean install?

Just waiting on a spare drive to be delivered so I can clone my current drive. Seems too many issues out there atm.

jester77 wrote: »
    For those of you having issues, did any of you do a clean install?

Just waiting on a spare drive to be delivered so I can clone my current drive. Seems too many issues out there atm.

I didn't do a clean install and that may be my next line of attack after my crucial memory upgrade to 8gb.
    With a couple of tabs open in safari and as a full screen app or not it is using 350mb of RAM (split between Safari and Safari Web Content). If your system uses shared memory for graphics then any of the swiping between desktops causes a pause as the open threads have to release memory for the GUI. iTunes seems fine in the background but iPhoto and Safari are a nightmare for resource use now.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Chrome Dev version updated to new page backwards/forwards gesture, which is good. No sign of proper fullscreen as of yet though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

nesf wrote: »
    Chrome Dev version updated to new page backwards/forwards gesture, which is good. No sign of proper fullscreen as of yet though.

Does the scrolling bounce like in Safari?

No mention of that feature, so I don't know. I haven't downloaded it for testing yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Trevor451 wrote: »
    Sounds like bad hardware to me. Try using a memory checking program such as memtest to check the ram.

Hi,

Last night I had this 3 beep issue a few times after 10 minutes usage each time, the iMac would just hang.

So I swapped out the ram modules and reseated them. Tested the iMac for 30 mins today and no issues.

Fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

and also make sure they have more than 2gb RAM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

ashleey wrote: »
    and also make sure they have more than 2gb RAM
    It depends on what you use it for. I've updated a MacBook I bought in April 2010, and it only has 2gb RAM, yet seems to be working fine so far. It's not used for much though, just internet and email mainly, along with watching some TV shows on iTunes, and iPhoto on occasion. It seems to be handling that without too many problems.

I agree, it's just that swiping between open Safari, Mail, iTunes and iPhoto as full screen apps, which are the main features, doesn't leave much spare memory and you get a spinning beach ball while the system reallocates. Fingers crossed I can prise open my mini without trashing it and swapping out the Ram.

By the way, I just ran Adobe flash uninstaller, as I know how much Stevie hates flash, and maybe it's a coincidence but things are running much more smoothly?

It's like a different machine. Adblock and Flash Player were probably fighting each other and using up resources like mad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Just after having my 4th crash: spinning beach ball on the login screen. This doesn't appear to be widespread, so I think it's clean install time.

Just after having my 4th crash: spinning beach ball on the login screen. This doesn't appear to be widespread, so I think it's clean install time.

Still using Safari?

Yeah, but I find it hard to believe that Safari responsible for crashing the whole system. If it was I think there would be a lot more reports of system wide crashes.

Yeah, but I find it hard to believe that Safari responsible for crashing the whole system. If it was I think there would be a lot more reports of system wide crashes.

I don't know, since I switched to Chrome I haven't seen a beachball or a crash. Could be tempting fate but Safari seemed to bring a lot of problems with it for me.

You would imagine Apple would have at least had their own software working before releasing it. Weird if people are having to turn to a third party programs for stability

You would imagine Apple would have at least had their own software working before releasing it. Weird if people are having to turn to a third party programs for stability

They should rename it Safari Canary.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Cursor jumping ?!?!

Yeah, my cursor randomly jumps across the screen. I've a 24" external monitor attached to my 13" MBP, and sometimes the cursor just jumps from the main screen onto the MBP one.

Google "OS X Lion cursor jump" and you'll see other people with the same issue.

Yeah, my cursor randomly jumps across the screen. I've a 24" external monitor attached to my 13" MBP, and sometimes the cursor just jumps from the main screen onto the MBP one.

Holy crap.
    And the reasons I'm not getting Lion just keep on mounting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭milltown

Phew!
    I thought it was just me when I got 20 odd pages into this thread and nobody had mentioned this.

Checked on Canary there, no scroll bounce, just the new scroll bars and new gestures (not counting the one finger swipe between tabs).

And a whole bunch of games aren't working on Lion because Apple were too ****ing stupid not to publicly announce that they'd broken one way of running a fullscreen app. You know, so developers could get a quick fix out in time for release.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Johnmb wrote: »
    It depends on what you use it for. I've updated a MacBook I bought in April 2010, and it only has 2gb RAM, yet seems to be working fine so far. It's not used for much though, just internet and email mainly, along with watching some TV shows on iTunes, and iPhoto on occasion. It seems to be handling that without too many problems.

mmmmmmmmm

My 2007 Macbook can only manage 2GB

Would this be a good excuse to convince her self that we ned a new mac ?.:cool:

could also add in excuse that the new software fixes security vunerabilites that may cause you machine to be at risk if and when you are online, although she may see through that one :eek:

Please say yes :D

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

nesf wrote: »
    And a whole bunch of games aren't working on Lion because Apple were too ****ing stupid not to publicly announce that they'd broken one way of running a fullscreen app. You know, so developers could get a quick fix out in time for release.

Lion was a developer beta for a long time before it was released. Should they not have copped it then?

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

I need to do a clean install too (again). Can I do a clean install and then restore from a time machine back up? Just to get all my apps, settings and files back.

QuadLeo wrote: »
    I need to do a clean install too (again). Can I do a clean install and then restore from a time machine back up? Just to get all my apps, settings and files back.
    Yeah, that's what I did. At the end of the install it will give you the option to import your old user account and applications from TM. However, the danger in this is that you end up importing the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

Yea, that's what I was thinking.

I'd revert back to SL if it was me!

• Advertisement

Then we wouldn’t be able to play with all the new Lion features. :D

I’ve always been an early adopter of Mac OS upgrades. I don’t use my Mac for anything work related so it’s no big deal if I encounter a few bugs or have a few crashes. I was one of the first to upgrade to Cheetah/10.0. And if anyone thinks Lion is problematic, you should have been around for that. It truly was a public beta in everything but name. But I loved playing around with it and getting used to all the new features. If stability is priority then you should always wait until at least the .2 update.

I think we Mac users are kinda spoiled anyway. I mean, the clean install I did last night was the first clean install I’ve done since getting my Macbook Pro over 2 years ago. I upgraded the machine from Leopard to Snow Leopard and then to Lion. I never did any maintenance or nothing. It’s a wonder I didn’t encounter issues earlier. I regularly have to go to my uncle’s house and a do a clean install of Windows for him.

And as an aside, the fact that major OS upgrades tend to break many third party applications is a good thing. After a few months it becomes clear what applications are no longer being developed and what developers can be relied upon to issue updates quickly. I’m very picky about what applications I buy and I’ve been very pleased to see that many of the developers of these apps were quick off the mark to update their apps for Lion. Lion was in beta for quite a while so developers have no excuse for their software not working.

Advertisement