Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OSX Lion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

fasty wrote: »
    There are always teething problems, and the people who have them tend to be more vocal about it.

I've been caning Lion on two machines all weekend and haven't had any show stopping issues.

So far so good here too. Mine running since Friday and no issues I can think of. Have to say, I'm fairly impressed. I got a Magic Mouse too and you do need it to make the most of it. Really liking swiping between desktops and flicking back through web pages. I also think Launchpad is nifty for accessing apps. It's going to change the way I work for the better. Do some research on your 'must-have' apps and features before you upgrade and you should be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Hmm, I turned off extensions in Safari and the system got a whole lot more stable. I hope it's not AdBlock that's causing the issues, that would be annoying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I upgraded earlier today. No major issues aside from the aforementioned SMB problem which I'm hopeful WD will offer a fix for. I love the new Mail, and the new multi-touch gestures work great. In fact, everything about the interface is an improvement on the previous mishmash. And "natural scrolling" makes sense once you get used to it. I've also noticed that moving the mouse no longer wakes the display; probably a good change. LaunchPad as already said is a bit pointless though.

I'm using Safari for the time being until Google updates Chrome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I upgraded earlier today. No major issues aside from the aforementioned SMB problem which I'm hopeful WD will offer a fix for. I love the new Mail, and the new multi-touch gestures work great. In fact, everything about the interface is an improvement on the previous mishmash. And "natural scrolling" makes sense once you get used to it. I've also noticed that moving the mouse no longer wakes the display; probably a good change. LaunchPad as already said is a bit pointless though.

I'm using Safari for the time being until Google updates Chrome.

Pfft.....fanboy :P

I've also noticed that moving the mouse no longer wakes the display; probably a good change

!!!!
    Why???
    I prefer to wake it up by running finger on trackpad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

back in SL there was a little bar on the bottom of finder that told you the space left on the hard drive that you were browsing through, any one know is it possible to get this back through a setting??

I'm finding it good so far but i keep using two finger swipe on magic mouse to go back out of doing it for so long and ending up on dash board which gets anoyin...

also does any one know how to get to the options to do the old set up of the magic mouse from SL as in setting left click and that sort of thing?

I have a iPad on ios5 and have been messing with the iCloud settings and seen the review of the released icloud for lion on engadget, iCloud looks very good!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I had barely finished typing my last post when the WiFi dropped out and refused to come back, locking up every internet application in the process and eventually resulting in me forcing a restart. I'm back up now and Spotlight has decided it wants to reindex everything again. *sigh* Roll on 10.7.1!
    !!!!
    Why???
    I prefer to wake it up by running finger on trackpad
    Because it's too easy to hit off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Where the f**k is 'Save as' gone?? You now cannot open a document, edit it and save it as something else. This is something I need to do every day and they've removed it, crazy.
    I opened a pages file on my iDisk and then closed it (because it wouldn't let me do the above). The folder containing that file (and many others) then disappeared from my iDisk. WTF???? Luckily I can see the folder from another Mac so it's still there but I nearly s**t myself when this folder disappeared - it's very important.
    My MacBook Pro runs sooooo sloooooow under Lion (2.66 Core 2 Duo, 4Gb Ram), this machine shouldn't be struggling, I suspect Apple are trying to force me to upgrade.
    Every time I've upgraded my OS with Apple I've been impressed - until now.
    Unless you have to upgrade then AVOID

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I assume the app you are talking about uses the new AutoSave feature.

I haven't had any signficant performance problems here. 2.26 C2D.

Although I do think Apple should rethink having Spotlight reindex after installation. It should only do so when you go to use Spotlight for the first time. After sitting through a 40 minute installation the last thing anyone wants is a sluggish system for 1 hour while Spotlight does its thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Positives
    • Swish UI
    • A Path Bar on Finder, just like Windows. Double-click anywhere on the path, go to that folder. No more endlessly clicking back to get to the root folder. About time

Negatives
    • The removal of FTP checkbox from the Sharing -> File Sharing pref pane is annoying. I've swapped to SFTP/SSH but still, 20MB/sec slower SFTP over a local network with no extern access is a pain.
    • The so-called natural scrolling doesn't feel all that natural to me at the minute. Laptops/iMacs are not iOS
    • My battery says it's 97%, and full. WTF? 100% and full. It's in grand condition, I haven't even reached 300 cycles yet.
    • Finder - Still has no Cut feature. Doesn't list "Macintosh HD" in the sidebar. Defaults to "All of my files" which seems to disregard DMG files.
    • Launchpad - Pointless. That's what the dock is for. Don't even think about removing the dock Apple, if that's where you're going.
    • Mission Control or whatever it is you're calling it - ****e! The F3 button on my Macbook Pro should show me all open windows in the current space and not a list of fecking spaces. Out of focus windows (windows behind windows) are a pain to get back now. Haven't figured out where you managed to hide this feature on me yet.

back in SL there was a little bar on the bottom of finder that told you the space left on the hard drive that you were browsing through, any one know is it possible to get this back through a setting??

Open Finder -> View -> Show Status Bar

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The pathbar in Finder was in SL too. I just turned off All my files and Airdrop in Finder's sidebar and changed it back to how I like it.

Expose is still there, I set it up as a 4 fingers down gesture. Works well with four up for MC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Anyone using Parallels v5.0 with Lion? Was thinking of getting Lion, but got a pop-up today from Parallels telling me that v6.0 was the only one which will work with Lion. Feckers.:mad:

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Anyone using Parallels v5.0 with Lion? Was thinking of getting Lion, but got a pop-up today from Parallels telling me that v6.0 was the only one which will work with Lion. Feckers.:mad:

Honestly, v6 has enough problems with Lion to make me doubtful that v5 would be a nice experience in Lion.

Ok parallels a no go also ??

Definitely DEFINITELY giving Lion a miss for now then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

nesf wrote: »
    Honestly, v6 has enough problems with Lion to make me doubtful that v5 would be a nice experience in Lion.
    Damn. I can't update my work iMac until Parallels is sorted. Was even willing to pay for the upgrade from v5 to v6 myself, but by the sounds of it, I'll be waiting a while. I'm already getting confused having to switch from my home MacBook Pro with Lion back to my work iMac with SL.....

Johnmb wrote: »
    Damn. I can't update my work iMac until Parallels is sorted. Was even willing to pay for the upgrade from v5 to v6 myself, but by the sounds of it, I'll be waiting a while. I'm already getting confused having to switch from my home MacBook Pro with Lion back to my work iMac with SL.....

Don't get me wrong, Parallels is perfectly usable in Lion, it's just a tad slower and needs a few more patches to get back where it was in SL speed wise. Not a big deal really but I'd hate to see what v5 would be like unoptimised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Apple now have an Extra Patch now available for SL before you install Lion ....:(

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/25/apple-releases-revised-mac-os-x-10-6-8-with-patch-for-existing-users/

DominoDub wrote: »
    Apple now have an Extra Patch now available for SL before you install Lion ....:(

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/25/apple-releases-revised-mac-os-x-10-6-8-with-patch-for-existing-users/

Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Installed Parallels 6 with on Lion last night.
    Problematic, especially with File Sharing between operating systems. Also runs a tad slow.

Boot Camp here I come.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Ah ****e. I'll stay where I am then! Thanks for the heads up!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

I'm just having a giant pain in the ass with this f*cking system. I really wish I never went near it. OSX 7 Vista.

Currently looking at reverting back to SL, although possible, sounds very messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

Anyone else having any problems with calendar? I'm subscribed to a mobile me calendar but am unable to edit or add to it in Lion. Working fine on iPhone and iPad though. Get an error when I try to edit saying I don't have permission and do I want to revert to server. Tried removing and adding again but same prob.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Just upgraded the iMac and for the first time in months, the machine actually feels alive. Even though it's still indexing Spotlight, it's five times faster easy compared to SL.

Didn't realize I needed a fresh OS install so bad.

[*]The so-called natural scrolling doesn't feel all that natural to me at the minute. Laptops/iMacs are not iOS
    Give it chance. The only reason the old way seems more natural is because we are used to using scroll wheels.
    [*]Finder - Still has no Cut feature.
    Actually the new Finder does have a kind of cut command. Copy the file and hold the option key when pasting (or press command-option-v) to move the file to the new location.
    Doesn't list "Macintosh HD" in the sidebar.
    You can change this in Finder menu > Preferences > Sidebar.

Just had another lock-up. Once again it started with the WiFi going and then everything else followed. When I restarted I had my first introduction to the Resume feature. I was looking at the spinning beach ball for over 5 minutes while the system tried to re-open every app, window and tab that I had open prior to the restart. iTunes was having none of it and I had to force quit it a few times. Not good. I think I’ll be turning this off. Once again Apple have unleashed beta software on their users.

Just had another lock-up. Once again it started with the WiFi going and then everything else followed. When I restarted I had my first introduction to the Resume feature. I was looking at the spinning beach ball for over 5 minutes while the system tried to re-open every app, window and tab that I had open prior to the restart. iTunes was having none of it and I had to force quit it a few times. Not good. I think I’ll be turning this off. Once again Apple have unleashed beta software on their users.

FWIW, Safari seems to be the culprit behind a lot of the lock ups here. Though the wifi issue seems unrelated.

I'll be quite happy to ditch Safari (again) once the new version of Chrome is out. Although it seems I might be waiting a while. From the sounds of it Google only found out about Lion a few days ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

FWIW, Safari seems to be the culprit behind a lot of the lock ups here. Though the wifi issue seems unrelated.
    I seem to be having less problems with Safari and my internet connection since I uninstalled Adblock from Safari. I think some small things are causing problems that nobody thought they could cause. Hopefully they'll be sorted sooner rather than later....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

SRS iWOW and Total Finder don't work.

Advertisement