Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OSX Lion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Just had another crash. I'm getting annoyed now. Safari is mentioned a lot in the logs.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

10.7.2 being seeded to developers already it seems: http://www.tuaw.com/2011/07/23/os-x-lion-10-7-2-seeded-to-developers/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I like the new UI. Is there a way to bind apps to different spaces or desktops?
    I am using Chrome, why is everyone gone back to Safari?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

silvine wrote: »
    I am using Chrome, why is everyone gone back to Safari?

Better Lion integration until the Chromium project codes in a few changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

I just reset Safari and deleted adBlock extension and things have improved. I have noticed that I have gone very low on free memory (2GB) due to Safari Web Content process beginning to demand memory over time. I have a Crucial Memory upgrade kit on its way and I'll be getting out the putty knives to my mac mini (late 2009). In reality it seems that full screen apps and all the flashy graphics are a bit too much for older machines maybe?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

silvine wrote: »
    I like the new UI. Is there a way to bind apps to different spaces or desktops?
    Right click on an app in the Dock > Options > Assign to, etc. This is actually a whole lot easier than the old way.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Turbo Turtle

updated a few days ago and must say i do like the swiping features on the trackpad. However today alone it has frozen 3 times and i had hold down the power button to restart my macbook pro(only new to macs so don't know if there is a mac equivalent of ctrl alt delete?) only had iTunes and safari open. and the few months i have had the mac book this is the most it has happened is this solely down the new lion?

Open activity monitor sorted by memory usage. Open iTunes and iphoto and leave them as full screen apps. Also mail and safari. They each use about 200mb memory while running in the background. Then any flashy graphics will demand remaining memory and then you get the spinning beachball. What is your graphics spec?

Gah, just getting really frustrated with this now. Loving some of the new features of Lion but **** me did they ship it with a lot of bugs. Seriously not impressed with paying to be a beta tester, cheap and all an upgrade that it was.

• Advertisement

It's been the same with every Mac OS upgrade. I guess at a certain point in testing it's easier for Apple to just send it out there and find out what the major issues are. SL wasn’t much better, despite supposedly consistently of mostly bug fixes for Leopard.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

Got it installed today after having a problem with it making a recovery partition before any installation. Sorted it out with iDefrag

Not sure what to think of it yet. Parallels isn't working but I like Safari's new downloads interface and iTunes. Damn traffic lights though :p

If others, like me, are having problems with lion and safari, as per my previous response I googled 'Safari Web Content' process and found others with high memory and cpu usage problems. I removed 'adblocker' extension which helped (but I hate the ads at the moment). In preferences I also disabled the RSS check box of 'Automatically check for updates' in bookmarks bar and menu seeing as I don't use them. It has made a big difference. I now have to look at why iPhoto 11 is leaking memory.
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3190569?start=15&tstart=0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I've been using it for a few days now, haven't been doing anything intensive on it yet though. I immediately changed the forwards & backwards swipe back to three fingers horizontally - chrome works normally now so no need to go near Safari for me.

Don't see myself using launchpad ever, cmd + space for opening applications from spotlight for me. At the moment it's littered with parallels icons, will clean it up eventually but not now.

The transitions to full screen seem nice. I can see it being useful for Pages and Photoshop especially.

Don't like the icon for accounts, especially when logging in. Way too windows-ish, I liked the minimalism of just the login box against a black bakground. Same goes with having my account name in the top bar, doesn't need to be there and adds clutter.

Taking a bit of time to get used to the new swipes. Not sure how much I like them, was very happy with expose and how I had set the swipes up in SL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

It's been the same with every Mac OS upgrade. I guess at a certain point in testing it's easier for Apple to just send it out there and find out what the major issues are. SL wasn’t much better, despite supposedly consistently of mostly bug fixes for Leopard.

I installed SL on day one and had basically no problems. I thought it was a very slick update. Noticeably faster performance even on my older machine. I do recall having an issue with one piece of third party software but that was fixed within days

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

Funkstard wrote: »
    Same goes with having my account name in the top bar, doesn't need to be there and adds clutter.

You can hold CMD and drag it out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I had no issue with leopard or snow leopard which i upgraded to from tiger.

I think I might skip Lion altogether and wait for the next version and just "lionify" SL with the features I want.

Snow Leopard definitely had teething issues as well. Many people experienced data loss during the install and there were numerous Finder, WiFi and sleep related problems. Like Lion, it also broke SMB which was never fully fixed.

I can’t even remember Leopard’s issues, but it had a lot as well. Airport dropping out, etc. Performance took a big hit compared to Tiger as well.

All these things get fixed with time. The latest version of the previous OS is always the most stable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I tell you one thing I installed the 10.6.8 Supplemental update yesterday and I think I'm having a few freezes thereafter. My trackpad button wouldn't work for a full 15 mins yesterday even through a reboot and firefox is giving me the spinning wheel of death on occasion

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

In 15 years of using Macs, this is the first OS update that's giving me real issues. I've a 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo 13" MacBook Pro with 4GB of RAM, and pretty much everything has slowed to a crawl most of the time. Constantly seeing the spinning beach ball and "Application not responding". I've a Magic Mouse and an external monitor, and the cursor randomly jumps onto the MacBook screen at various times. Aperture 3 is the app I use the most, and simple tasks like cropping an image or renaming a project are taking an age sometimes. Other times, it works fine - this glimpse of normality is what's stopping me from reverting to SL.

• Advertisement

If you are experiencing major performance issues be sure to check out Activity Monitor as you probably have a rogue background process, possibly from a 3rd party app that isn't Lion compatible. In particular, everyone should be aware that Spotlight reindexes after an OS upgrade and doesn't respond too well to being interrupted. iStat Pro is very handy for monitoring CPU processes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Speaking of third party apps -Better Touch Tool crashes sporadically with Lion.

By the way, does anyone know- is it possible to get the "show/hide sidebar" button back? (It was above the search box in Finder on Snow Leopard)

I'm sick of having to open new boxes to install applications. I always used to just show the sidebar and drag the app into Applications on my sidebar.

condra wrote: »
    By the way, does anyone know- is it possible to get the "show/hide sidebar" button back? (It was above the search box in Finder on Snow Leopard)
    It's gone and afaik there's no getting it back. But you can use the "hide toolbar" command in the View menu, or press command-option-t.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Positives
    • A Path Bar on Finder, just like Windows. Double-click anywhere on the path, go to that folder. No more endlessly clicking back to get to the root folder. About time

Wasn't that there from OS9 if not 8?

Is push working for anyone with Gmail using Mail? The IDLE command didn't work with SL either, but I could have swore it was working with Lion's Mail yesterday but it seems not. My iPhone and iPad get email instantly.

Is push working for anyone with Gmail using Mail? The IDLE command didn't work with SL either, but I could have swore it was working with Lion's Mail yesterday but it seems not. My iPhone and iPad get email instantly.

Mail refused to fetch any new mail after February this year so I just went back to Sparrow which actually works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

Having the same problem. Chatter in other fora suggests that its a gmail problem, but that doesn't make sense to me as gmail notification is working with other devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

If you are experiencing major performance issues be sure to check out Activity Monitor as you probably have a rogue background process, possibly from a 3rd party app that isn't Lion compatible. In particular, everyone should be aware that Spotlight reindexes after an OS upgrade and doesn't respond too well to being interrupted. iStat Pro is very handy for monitoring CPU processes.

I ran Activity Monitor. I noticed a process called mdworker taking the top spot in the CPU activity every now and then. When I'd make a basic edit in Aperture, mdworker was kicking in at over 80%. It seems that mdworker is part of Spotlight, so even though Spotlight finished its index after I installed Lion a few days ago, this process seems to have been indexing every little change in Aperture - which is a right pain, since I'd never want to use Spotlight to find anything I have stored in Aperture.

In Spotlight's preferences, you can exclude folders from the index, but my photos are all stored in the Aperture library (basically one big file), so you can't specifically exclude it. So I just moved the library into a new folder and excluded that from the Spotlight index. mdworker isn't running now when I do edits to my photos, and Aperture seems to be running better - but I haven't had a chance to have a good run at it yet. So here's hoping that bit is fixed anyway. When I get a chance, I'll have to see why Safari is getting so many spinning beachballs too - probably 1Password or some plug-in like that.

But damn, this cursor jumping is annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 spuncy

Just installed Lion there and everything seems to be up and running - except one thing: Time Machine.

I back up over the network to a Samba/SMB share. Apparently this won't work any more. I can see the backup (i.e. enter Time Machine), but it won't restore or perform a backup.

Did a quick google and it seems to be a general problem with no workaround (don't have AFP installed on the NAS drive).

Also, I only got this Macbook Pro in the last few weeks but the serial number wasn't being recognised on the uptodate site. I sent in the details of the purchase but heard nothing since last Thursday. Today I rang up and they said to go ahead and buy on the App Store and they've refunded my credit card. So if you're still waiting, perhaps give them a shout (unless you use Time Machine over Samba).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

spuncy wrote: »
    Just installed Lion there and everything seems to be up and running - except one thing: Time Machine.

I back up over the network to a Samba/SMB share. Apparently this won't work any more. I can see the backup (i.e. enter Time Machine), but it won't restore or perform a backup.

Did a quick google and it seems to be a general problem with no workaround (don't have AFP installed on the NAS drive).

Also, I only got this Macbook Pro in the last few weeks but the serial number wasn't being recognised on the uptodate site. I sent in the details of the purchase but heard nothing since last Thursday. Today I rang up and they said to go ahead and buy on the App Store and they've refunded my credit card. So if you're still waiting, perhaps give them a shout (unless you use Time Machine over Samba).

I had to do a firmware update to my Drobo for it to work. Have a look on vendors site for an update?

Advertisement