Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nail polish thread :) *Do Not Quote Pics!*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Posy wrote: »
    Has anyone been using the magnetic nail-polish?
    I tried the Barry M one in Boots and didn't understand how it's meant to work- it just looked like normal polish.. I'm obviously doing something wrong. :o

Did you get a magnet with it? The magnet creates the shapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

I bought 2 of them - you hold the magnet over the nail for a few seconds after putting the varnish on (I'd issues figuring it out too & relied on youtube to show me lol) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

today's nails (done last night!)
    Nails Inc Baker Street with tips of OPI Gone Gonzo - it's much more "mermaid" in daylight! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Reading this thread really hasn't helped my nail polish habit.

Recently bought my first two China Glaze polishes, Below Deck (medium purple) and Holly-Day (dark green). Really good quality polishes, dried quickly, great coverage without needing a second coat :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Pythia wrote: »
    Did you get a magnet with it? The magnet creates the shapes.
    Yeah- it just said 'hold the magnet over your nail for 5 seconds'. I must have done something wrong. :o
    I will head to YouTube to see if they have any demos! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

Posy wrote: »
    Yeah- it just said 'hold the magnet over your nail for 5 seconds'. I must have done something wrong. :o
    I will head to YouTube to see if they have any demos! :)

Hm, I read somewhere that it should be done when the nail is still pretty wet, the longer you wait the less visible the design is.

• Subscribers Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭girl_friday

You need to do the magnet bit as soon as you paint the nail. If the polish dries at all the magnet is ineffective. I tend to paint nail with a fairly thick layer of polish and do magnet immediately before moving on to the next nail. At the end I use Seche Vite as top coat and they turn out quite nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Bought Essence Make it Golden today. Looking for a nice glitter and the price is certainly right! :)

Pic from google images, obviously it's the glitter topcoat part!

6855628239_e404a86e04.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Doing my finals at the moment and my nails are chewed with the stress! Definitely getting a mani when I'm done, the state of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Went into Penneys in Galway today to discover not one but two (more) new Essence stands and a catrice stand, yipee!
    Picked up a stamping kit (I've a konad one but said I'd give this a shot), some magnetic polish, a brush to stick into any polish to draw designs, two stamping polishes (black and silver), a magnet for the polish, a polish to help with nail splitting, an essence polish and a catrice polish for about E21. Not sure of any of the colours, I don't have them on me.

Appologies for the poor phone photo:

33lfej7.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

Went into Penneys in Galway today to discover not one but two (more) new Essence stands and a catrice stand, yipee!
    Picked up a stamping kit (I've a konad one but said I'd give this a shot), some magnetic polish, a brush to stick into any polish to draw designs, two stamping polishes (black and silver), a magnet for the polish, a polish to help with nail splitting, an essence polish and a catrice polish for about E21. Not sure of any of the colours, I don't have them on me.

Appologies for the poor phone photo:

33lfej7.jpg

Ooh can you let me know how you get on with the stamping polishes? I don't own any Konad ones, so i just use normal polish and it can come out quite sheer sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

Where is good in Dublin for Essence stuff ... I'd love some of their nail art polishes but I've never seen them in my usual haunts!

Orlee wrote: »
    Where is good in Dublin for Essence stuff ... I'd love some of their nail art polishes but I've never seen them in my usual haunts!

Penneys I go to - though hoping they have this new nail art stuff now that the Galway one has or I'll be getting on a train..... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ynul31f47k6b59

My local Essence stands sicken me!!!!! NONE of that stuff, and I haven't seen the new Catrice permanent polishes OR topcoats yet. I suppose it doesn't really matter considering my spending ban....;)

Speaking of said ban, this doesn't count because I put it down as a wedding expense. Definitely going to use one of these on my wedding day, sure I'll have to try them all out ASAP for research purposes obvs....

Got them from Beauty Emporium.

opiballet.jpg

Image from www.loveforlacquer.com

Mind you, they're flippin tiny. But they're the nicest bridal polishes I've seen anywhere!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Did you buy them online Shanna? If so could you share the link? They look gorgeous! I've just handed in my thesis on classical ballet so they seem like an appropriate treat ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ynul31f47k6b59

Twee. wrote: »
    Did you buy them online Shanna? If so could you share the link? They look gorgeous! I've just handed in my thesis on classical ballet so they seem like an appropriate treat ;)

Definitely an appropriate treat, Twee! They're lovely milky jellies.

Thanks for posting the link, musical.x!

This is 4 coats of the grey one (My Pointe Exactly) with a topcoat of Pirouette My Whistle. I'm in love. (Ignore sad broken nail)

OPIMyPointeExactly.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭sexymama

Bought this in my local chemist,Catrice After Eight.Absolutely gorgeous.
    A lovely dark green!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Polka dot nails to cheer myself up during hideous exam season (and also to waste precious study time fussing over). V. happy with how they turned out, only a couple of dots with a bit of a 'spermy' look to them :)

nails-1.png

Polka dot nails to cheer myself up during hideous exam season (and also to waste precious study time fussing over). V. happy with how they turned out, only a couple of dots with a bit of a 'spermy' look to them :)

<SNIP>
    I like your dots...did you use a dotting tool?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

My latest purchases:

Models Own Indian Ocean - a gorgeous summer colour
    models+own+indian+ocean+1.jpg

Models Own Purple Blue
    models-own-beetlejuice-purple-blue_01.jpg

Butter London The Black Knight - I'm a bit underwhelmed..
    bk2.jpg

Nails Inc The Midas Touch collection - they have loads of these in TK Maxx in Galway at the moment, they are GORGEOUS
    225980.001?$ukswatchlarge$

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

nails-12.jpg

got bio sculpture done today & am loving it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

Was wearing catrice after eight this week it's lovely. A bad thing happened yesterday - I was in chemist on way to work related business and there they were in their gorgeous ness just looking at me - I now own six different million styles haven't used them yet but am itching to try them out they are fabulous!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I like your dots...did you use a dotting tool?

No, just used one of those manicure sticks. I poured a little puddle of white nail varnish onto a bit of plastic while I was doing it so it was a little tacky for dotting & it seemed to work well.
    Orlee wrote: »
    Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Sorry! Just what little polka dots that have tails remind me of :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

My nails for the long weekend :D

ZfoIu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Belle Morte

Gorgeous nails, lot's of inspiration here to keep me busy! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Any reccomendations for a place that does great mani pedicures thats not too expensive? I used to go to Minx but my budget doesn't stretch as far as it used to for occasional treats!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

I was in TK maxx yesterday. I liked the look of the barielle earth nail polishes but the rest weren't that special. Tried to get the new barry m polishes in boots and they weren't in stock :( so disappointing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

Scraggs wrote: »
    Any reccomendations for a place that does great mani pedicures thats not too expensive? I used to go to Minx but my budget doesn't stretch as far as it used to for occasional treats!

If your in Dublin J Nails on Capel st is great, and cheap :)
    http://jnails.net/

Advertisement