Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nail polish thread :) *Do Not Quote Pics!*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I'm going out tomorrow and I'm wearing a green see through chiffon top with a black camisole underneath, what colour will I paint my nails? Reds/pinks/blues/purples etc?

First world problems *sigh* :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭suomi

Depends what shade of green it is but I probably wouldn't pick red as it might look too Christmassy. :p I'd probably wear something dark as you can't really see sheer or subtle colours in the pub or club. So maybe a good old classy black?

suomi wrote: »
    Depends what shade of green it is but I probably wouldn't pick red as it might look too Christmassy. :p I'd probably wear something dark as you can't really see sheer or subtle colours in the pub or club. So maybe a good old classy black?
    It's a similar green to this, my top is more of a vivid colour in reality though.

bCNCct2736kellygreenB.JPG

I thought red might be to Christmassy alright.

I don't know what black polishes I have, don't think I have any actually, will have to look and see. If I don't have one, would a dark, cadbury type purple do?

I have a purple nars and a purple BarryM (think the barrym is called vivid purple, not sure though).

Oh yeah, a dark purple would look cool too! I googled that Barry M polish and I'd say it would look really nice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Dark sparkly purple. Or if you have it the green Snow White? - Bashful?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 raci

did this today from a youtube tutorial
    219089.JPG
    i used Tesco Barbara daly Pink Ribbon, Sephora Let's Dance, Penney's Angelica Skylar 81 polishes, as well as craft glitter and nail gems.

here's the tutorial
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNaLHyqJR1Q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

Today I'm wearing Petrol from Sally Hansen's collab with Alexander Wang. Borderline black-blue, love it.. The brushes on the SH salon manicure bottles drive me up the wall though, they are so wide.

7316443394_597019d3a1.jpg (pic from somwhere on google)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

OPI Rally Pretty Pink - picked this up in TK Maxx last week. I think it's a pretty interesting colour :) Hate the name though ...

IMG_20120901094039%2520a.m..jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

What's the story with the Jelly polishes? How do you know if a polish is a jelly, or is it just the look of certain ones? I'm liking those sandwiches!

What's the story with the Jelly polishes? How do you know if a polish is a jelly, or is it just the look of certain ones? I'm liking those sandwiches!

This has a good break down of all the different types of polish you can find. Jelly polishes aren't like creme polishes in that they are sheer, but you can build to color up to more opacity, and they are very squishy looking and shiny. With Jelly sandwiches it just means to layer with a jelly polish, then a glitter, then the jelly to make it look as in the glitter is trapped in the polish! Or that's how I take it as anyway.

• Advertisement

I've been wondering about jelly polishes too actually, I don't have any so I have no idea what they look like in the bottle! I'd like to get some but how can you tell if it's a jelly polish or just a sheer one?

suomi wrote: »
    I've been wondering about jelly polishes too actually, I don't have any so I have no idea what they look like in the bottle! I'd like to get some but how can you tell if it's a jelly polish or just a sheer one?

Well, I have a really hard time trying to figure out if one is jelly or not so I usually have already researched it online and know it is. I googled and found this blogpost which might be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Orlee wrote: »
    OPI Rally Pretty Pink - picked this up in TK Maxx last week. I think it's a pretty interesting colour :) Hate the name though ...

Did you buy it as part of a set with a crackle red? I have that polish, I love those Serena Williams OPI sets.

dudara wrote: »
    Did you buy it as part of a set with a crackle red? I have that polish, I love those Serena Williams OPI sets.

I got it as a set but mine had Mermaids Tears and Your Royal Shine-ness with it :) It was €19,99. I think the Serena duo sets were €12,99

I had been wanting Mermaids Tears for ages but I wasn't as impressed in real life as swatches I've seen :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Orlee wrote: »
    I got it as a set but mine had Mermaids Tears and Your Royal Shine-ness with it :) It was €19,99. I think the Serena duo sets were €12,99

I had been wanting Mermaids Tears for ages but I wasn't as impressed in real life as swatches I've seen :(

I got my Rally Pretty Pink as part of a Grand Slam Duo, where it was paired with a red shatter. The rose gold is lovely, but the red shatter is cool on top.

Yesterday, I picked up OPI Stranger Tides (from their Pirates of the Carribean collection). It's a pale cream, with a thin formula. It took 3 coats to get this opacity.

7912306376_f085525b7c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

So it's my birthday tomorrow, officially late twenties I think! And I decided to get a super fun, little bit tacky, Shellac for it.

It's actually a Geleration polish (not sure of the name) and I asked for some loose pink glitter to be added and sealed in with the gel to get the effect you see here. It's a lot more sparkley in real life. This is my own photo.

uKMMR.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

Its Lovely Pythia and Happy birthday hope its a good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Happy birthday Pythia! Love the colour of your Shellac. Have a great day

Wearing NARS Purple Rain now. I really love this colour, it's a deep, shimmery, cadbury purple.

I love the application of it and the brush is just the right size (for my fingers anyway).

16.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

^Love the Nars!

Have been on a red buzz this week :p

picmonkeycollagec.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Bit sad but I'm happy in my sadness, went to a Wicked themed birthday party over the weekend, quite happy with how these turned out. Used nail glue for the microbeads so didn't lose a single one over the 3 days I had it on.

wicked_nails.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

So today's nails - some of the Snow White collection (my local chemist is waiting on the collection in their delivery this week so I shall soon have my 3 missing dwarves and 3 toppers :D but for now...)

Thumb is Snow White herself then the other two colours are Bashful and Sneezy :D

Without Flash

187180928233748252_PkBzG1py_b.jpg

With Flash

187180928233748255_Z8ad8gAW_b.jpg

off to clean up the messyness now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

2 new Essence favs for Autumn me thinks. Base coat of English Rose on the right with a top coat of the gorgeous Time for Romance (it has a wine undertone with minky coloured glitter flecks). Base coat really pigmented and only needed one coat,dried really quick too. Thumbs up!

imageqslg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Just want to say I love Essie nail varnish. I've had this on for a whole week with only some very slight tip wear. Amazing. Plus I bought it in Germany so it was only 7 euro a bottle.

anniehoo wrote: »
    2 new Essence favs for Autumn me thinks. Base coat of English Rose on the right with a top coat of the gorgeous Time for Romance (it has a wine undertone with minky coloured glitter flecks). Base coat really pigmented and only needed one coat,dried really quick too. Thumbs up!

That looks gorgeous!!!! Much more expensive looking than €4 :eek:

Just as I had finished painting my nails (four frustrating coats of a really slow drying glitter polish... :mad:) a polish that I ordered from eBay came in the post! It's China Glaze's Holly-Day and after trying it just now, I have to say it's one of the best polishes I've ever tried. Super pigmented, smooth, glossy, not too thick, not too watery... It's perfect! Here's a picture, and believe it or not, I'm not even wearing a top coat here!

219564.JPG

I was so excited that I forgot to clean up my nails (and fingers). :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I bought a load of Barry M nail varnishes and an Essie top coat the other day in Boots...saving up the points for Christmas!:P

I bought 5, at the moment if you buy 2 you get E1.50 off!

Right now I'm wearing Mushroom, it's absolutely gorgeous, very autumn-y!:p

*Not my pictures*

Mushroom
    Barry_M_Mushroom_-nailpaint.jpg

Grey
    barry-m-nail-paint-grey.jpg

Raspberry
    barry-m-nail-paint-raspberry.jpg

Cappucino
    5215_300_300.jpg

Peach Melba
    Swatches-Barry-M-Nail-Paint-318-Peach-Melba-3.jpg

And the Essie topcoat, E13 I think!
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-qzz8_m9dHp1VQS_5C72mvfSwr6cDlzwxs5rp5HvH0cTSo_YO&t=1

There was a BOGO75% off on OPI at a salon store near me... so, you guys know how it is... :o:p

OPI Do You Lilac It?
    Do-You-Lilac-It-B29.jpg

OPI Louvre Me Louvre Me Not
    opi-louvre-me-louvre-me-not.jpg

OPI Russian Navy
    opi-russian-navy-swatch-2.jpg

OPI Lucerne-tainly Look Marvelous
    opi-lucerne-tainly-look-marvelous-swatch-swiss-collection.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Novella wrote: »
    Just want to say I love Essie nail varnish. I've had this on for a whole week with only some very slight tip wear. Amazing. Plus I bought it in Germany so it was only 7 euro a bottle.

I'm a convert too! It's the perfect consistency, doesn't bubble up and finishes with a brilliant shine! The only Essie I have, I've bought in TK Maxx but I'm tempted to pop into boots and pick up a few bottle now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Hey everyone :)

Just a quick post to let anyone who is interested. Our little nailpolish social group is planning our next swap as the last one was a great success :D If anyone who is interested in participating or just wants to join in with our polish rants and updates feel free to send me a PM for access.

*must have 100 posts*

:D

Advertisement