Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nail polish thread :) *Do Not Quote Pics!*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭suomi

I bought myself a new camera today and I thought I'd test it out right away and see how well it can handle glittery nail polish. :cool: It's not an amazing camera or anything but it's better than my old one.

213844.JPG

I'm wearing Models Own Golden Green and a cheap glittery top coat called Yes Love. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

OakeyDokey wrote: »
    Missguided - Misstique

Got this in Cosmo last year some time. Love this brand! I have four polishes altogether including the new yellow that came out recently. Might get another one tomorrow when I'm shopping.

There are free Missguided nail polishes with the August issue of Cosmo out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Valentina wrote: »
    There are free Missguided nail polishes with the August issue of Cosmo out now.

Yeah, I got the yellow one Misslead :)

Working on some nail art at the moment nothing too extravagant but I'll post a picture shortly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Polishaholics, any recommendations for an inexpensive nail art kit to get me started? I wear polish everyday but would like to get a bit more adventurous with it ;)

/love this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

Found the essence snow white stuff in McCabes in the Pavilions! They had one Prince Charming and some The Huntsman. Went up to buy them, met my friend who works there - she'd already gotten me loads when it came in! Woo!

Got two of the Color Club sets in TK Maxx as well. Curse you all!

• Advertisement

anniehoo wrote: »
    Polishaholics, any recommendations for an inexpensive nail art kit to get me started? I wear polish everyday but would like to get a bit more adventurous with it ;)

/love this thread

I have a nail art kit by Rio, I can't seem to find the exact same one online but here are some of their sets: http://www.rionails.co.uk/nail-art/nail-art-kits.html I think they're great. :) My set has both nail pens and foils in it. They might be cheaper on Ebay.

Edit: Here's the one I have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ynul31f47k6b59

ladypip wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the essence stampy (konad rip off) set over here yet?
    LizT wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend the essence stampy set at all. The scraper they provide doesn't work properly, I wish I had read some reviews before I bought it :(
    anniehoo wrote: »

/love this thread

I had a big long reply typed and it vanished :(

Throw out that scraper from the stampy set, I have it and it's crap. Use an old store card (I use a Holland & Barrett or Eason or 3v, whatever) and make sure you clean the plate, stamper and card after EVERY scrape. The essence stampy polish isn't bad but check other brands. China Glaze and Barry M stamp well. I got lots of image plates on eBay and they work perfectly with a card and the Essence rubber stamp.

Re nail art kits, I have a Rio one too and I think it's expensive for what it is. Use the tip of a hairpin or a sewing pin or a cocktail stick for dots (use loads of dots, or group them into flowers, etc). Use medical tape for stripes. Use a skewer for drawing fine designs. Kiss and Essence have Nail Stripers that work well for drawing. You can get nail art stickers in every second chemist or pound shop. Konad have gorgeous rhinestone ones. Try a matte topcoat, or just matte tips. Try an accent nail. You can get fab nail wheels on eBay, I really recommend this one for starting off:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/140565572440

It's around e2.21, free shipping, and it's packed with everything from pearls to bows to fimos. I ordered mine on July 10th and it arrived today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

This is Passionate Kisses by Jessica. It's from their Geleration range, so it's a Shellac type varnish. I did a one day course and bought a lamp and this is my favourite colour. I'm not great at the cuticles though, as you can see...

2012_07_01_19_58_49.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33 DuvetCover

Got bored today so tried water marbling..
    The colours I used are Butter London Snog and Opi No room for the blues.

e7cc8042.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Currently putting on Nails Inc "New Burlington Place"

Pic from Pointless Cafe blog

Nails+Inc.+New+Burlington+Place+6.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

Nails today are Essence You Belong To Me and Angelica Emerald Isle. I love glitter :D:D

4785f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

Here are my Beauty and the beast nails. Excuse all the paint on my hand :P

Beauty+and+the+beast+nail+art+2.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

Has anyone heard of the new special effects polishes from Nails Inc called Sprinkles? I saw them on a blog, and then in Sephora... and I ended up getting 2 because they're adorable :pac: I got Sugar House Lane (which reminds me of cookies n cream ice cream!) and Sweets Way.

sprinkles.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

Has anyone heard of the new special effects polishes from Nails Inc called Sprinkles? I saw them on a blog, and then in Sephora... and I ended up getting 2 because they're adorable :pac: I got Sugar House Lane (which reminds me of cookies n cream ice cream!) and Sweets Way.

<SNIP>

I have all these! Love them, there are some W7 ones too, one which is a dupe for Pudding Lane, and two white ones

Time to bring this thread back into life me thinks! Here's what my nails look like today. I used Mavala's Fresh Melon and Pistachio and ELF's Gum Pink. I haven't put on a topcoat yet so it's still a bit matte!

214765.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Orly Rage came in the post the other day - it's a gorgeous rose gold foil :) I love it!!

Orly-Rage.jpg

Pic is from Vampy Varnish (a great blog).

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭myxi

My first attempt at gradient nails!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

My nails for the weekend :D

tvFVQ.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Barbieliveshere

So i decided to try out those stick on nail decorations... i likes the outcome :)

nail.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

SDC19877.JPG
    (not my pic)
    Essence Prince Charming over Sleepy. Love the collection but didn't like Sleepy's formula at all, very difficult to work with!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I am going to paint mine today. I wanted to to flags, but I have no white so I will do something else

Right so these are the nails I have just done (please ignore the shocking amount of polish around the nails, I will be fixing that). So it is Catrice Marilyn and Me, and then on the fourth finger I put Rimmel Silver Bullet, but it didn't turn out how I wanted (I was looking for a slightly white glassy sheen over the red, but that was NOT what happened) so I painted another layer of Catrice over it, so that nail has a slightly pinky purple sheen to it, which I am not sure if you can tell or not. The flash made it quite sheeny on all nails (god this was long - here are the nails!)

187180928233500179_KQBSa3JF_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stargirl.gra

These are the nails I did to match a dress for my brothers wedding yesterday. Colour is a Maybelline miny, doesnt seem to have a name :(

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/148741/214996.jpg

And finally after over a month waiting for it's release in Ireland, the caviar manicure arrived on thursday in the post. I've just swatched it in the post, it says not to put a top coat all over (probably because that defeats the purpose of the texture) but anyways I'm gona do a test tonight and top coat it with uv polish to see can I get it to last longer than the possible 48hrs stated :confused: Must say though this looks way way better in real life than it photographs!

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/148741/214997.jpg

Is it strange that I am not a fan of the caviar nails?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ynul31f47k6b59

Stargirl your nails look fab! You did a fantastic job.

Hdowney I'm not mental about the caviar (or fish egg :rolleyes:) manicure either, it's not practical for someone like me who's using their hands constantly. I even find rhinestones a pain in the bum. Plus, I'm a picker!

I've a load of recent swatches & comparisons on my blog but here's todays nails -did this for a competition yesterday.

ELFentry.jpg

The base is E.L.F Innocent, the black is a nail art pen. The rhinestones & bows are from eBay, went on a little embellishment spree recently :o

Yea I'd be a picker, but also I am anal about it so the second that one or two of them fell off I'd be annoyed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

Yeah, the caviar manicure does nothing for me. Although that new velvet manicure that's popping up everywhere does seem interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I wouldn't be a fan of the caviar manicure either, it seems impractical to have beads on your nails, especially if they are going to be falling off, you don't want to have beads everywhere, especially not where there are small children or animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stargirl.gra

The beads photograph way bigger than they are, they wouldnt be a problem for small animals or children because they are miniscule they really are, i'll try photo them with something and give ye and idea.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=215029&stc=1&d=1343568933

Now if y look to the left of the 1c coin you can see a tiny little speck. That's the size of the beads and basically if you pull out a 1c coin at home and get a look at the stars on the front of the 1c, that's the size of the bead. I was so surprised they were so small when they came. I also covered them in uv polish top coat and haven't lost 1 single bead. Only problem is it made the colour bleed a bit from the beads, but i'll get way longer so I will keep ye posted for those that might like it as to how long it lasted on my nail.

So this is my nail this morning, not one bead lost after over 12 hours.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=215030&stc=1&d=1343569212

• Advertisement

The beads photograph way bigger than they are, they wouldnt be a problem for small aminals or children because they are miniscule they really are, i'll try photo them with something and give ye and idea.

I'm just fussy, and they seem to fussy for me. How easy are they to put on, like do you just dip your slightly tacky nail into the pot (like an ice-cream into sprinkles) or is it more one by one tediousness!!!

Advertisement