Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stay and do something or get the hell away?!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

djpbarry wrote: »
    Hang on – if you’re paying of the order of €1,000 per month in tax, that means you’re earning of the order of €50-55k. You would have been earning even more to being that level of tax from 2008-2010. Why would a means-tested claim for jobseekers allowance be approved with that kind of income coming into your household?

As I said - I had 2 jobs - I went and got a second job because they wouldn't give my partner a cent. Then the government punished me for having a 2nd job. I was paying the full rate of tax on the second job, and they also retrospectively taxed my shares at the higher rate - so they took 50% of the profit for 0% of the risk and I cashed in my pension because I couldn't afford to pay it anymore due to all the expenses on my shoulders, e.g. €164 car tax per 3 months, which suddenly become unmanagable when you don't get any of the social insurance money you pay swathes of tax for every month.
    Good job Ireland - great way to reward hard work!

Before I got the second job, I was on about 35k, which still entitled her to nothing.
    Because we co-habited, she was entitled to nothing.
    But we weren't entitled to swap tax credits.
    Again - very fair system.

When we stopped living together (on paper), that didn't change.
    They had to come up with new lies.

It took them almost a year to arrange a Fas course for her because they signed her up to a course on the other side of the country!!!, and when she finally did get the Fas course - she couldn't be paid because she couldn't get JSA!!

What does 35k net work out to? 26k net?
    26k net would have been rosey for 2 people tbh, we're not big spenders, but we both had expenses to pay, such as medical expenses for her mother who was dying of a brain tumour.

I remember working out that the dole amounted to €9,600 per person, and if I had quit my job, we would have had a few thousand euro more cash to work with, than both of us trying to live off my wage, due to medical card, rent relief and so on.

All her years of working and paying taxes in Ireland were thrown back in her face. We were suckers to believe we would be treated fairly. (actually when all other excuses failed, they later claimed she didn't live in Ireland in 2009!!

Those years were sheer hell!

Hence for anyone reading, I'm telling you, if you can get away without paying certain taxes, then don't pay them - because you will get nothing back for them! It's a risk, but it's a risk worth taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭beeftotheheels

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Hence for anyone reading, I'm telling you, if you can get away without paying certain taxes, then don't pay them - because you will get nothing back for them! It's a risk, but it's a risk worth taking.

It's not a risk, it is a crime.

Given your poor experience (which I sympathize with) would you advocate going into your local school and stealing a chair because you got nothing back from the State?

If not, don't advocate the non payments of taxes levied by law, and if yes then you need to start making plans for your new career as a robin hood style criminal.

Your story is a fine example of what is wrong with the country, but leave it at that and don't take the final step of advocating criminal activity.

Given your poor experience (which I sympathize with) would you advocate going into your local school and stealing a chair because you got nothing back from the State?

If not, don't advocate the non payments of taxes levied by law, and if yes then you need to start making plans for your new career as a robin hood style criminal.

Your story is a fine example of what is wrong with the country, but leave it at that and don't take the final step of advocating criminal activity.

You are correct to be fair, but it's a crime that goes unpunished.
    Many people don't declare (many don't even know you are supposed to) and I've never heard of any of them getting in trouble, unless they get caught for something else and it gets found out.

The crime was my stupidity - being too honest dumb.

For anyone reading - the same goes for social welfare. You will be punished for honesty, not rewarded.
    One of my colleagues said his girlfriend was just his friend - they got full social.
    Like a complete moron, I walked straight into it and told the truth!

IF YOUR PARTNER LOSES HIS/HER JOB - YOU ARE JUST ROOMIES!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

You sound like you are commenting from a position of relative enough financial comfort. You should try being 3 days away from your dole day and you have 2 slices of bread in the kitchen. I'm completely with DannyBoy on this one, until you have found yourself in poverty or close to poverty, (as I did anyway), you will try to do everything by the book. Then you will be taught the lesson that if you are in the survival business, then you learn fairly quickly how to sh*t the **** up and not be fessing up all the information that the stoogies down at hatch 45 will just use as an excuse to keep you off their radar. The person at the otherside of hatch 45 doesn't have to worry about where the next dinner is going to come from...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

dan_d wrote: »
    They got away with it until a few years ago because all they were dealing with were the so-called "dregs", long term dole claimers who couldn't be bothered getting a job. Now though, there are educated people on the dole...
    “Educated people” were never unemployed in the past? Are you serious?

• Advertisement

As I said already, there is no winner here in keeping someone on 188 Euro a week on an open ended and completely indefinite basis.
    How’s it stopping you from pursuing your goal of being self-employed? I’m genuinely curious.
    You can't start a business without seed capital...
    Sure you can.
    I made the case before where it is a rediculous policy position to stand over to just leave someone on an open ended basis on 188 Euro a week, without having any kind of plan in place for getting that person off state dependancy and to allow this situation to prevail for a year or two or three.
    I’m not sure what you’re advocating here – a personal, state-appointed career advisor for every unemployed person in the country, responsible for drafting a plan of action to get people working again?
    You seem to be saying, or rather implying that I'm not grateful for 188 Euro in state support a week...
    I’m asking how it’s “keeping you down”?

...for anyone reading, I'm telling you, if you can get away without paying certain taxes, then don't pay them - because you will get nothing back for them! It's a risk, but it's a risk worth taking.
    If you feel you’ve been wronged and the department has a case to answer for, then (assuming the appeals process has been exhausted) you can lodge a complaint with the Office of the Ombudsman. Failing that, you can seek legal advice and appeal to the High Court. Please don’t go promoting tax evasion.

You are correct to be fair, but it's a crime that goes unpunished.
    Many people don't declare (many don't even know you are supposed to) and I've never heard of any of them getting in trouble, unless they get caught for something else and it gets found out.

The crime was my stupidity - being too honest dumb.

For anyone reading - the same goes for social welfare. You will be punished for honesty, not rewarded.
    One of my colleagues said his girlfriend was just his friend - they got full social.
    Like a complete moron, I walked straight into it and told the truth!

IF YOUR PARTNER LOSES HIS/HER JOB - YOU ARE JUST ROOMIES!

No, stay being honest, don't let the system destroy you, tempting though it may be. We need more people like you, not less (yes, it is easy for me to applaud you as a martyr when it is you and not me).

The social welfare system does seem to be a crock in need of radical overhaul.

We also need to start dealing with the level of institutionalized corruption which is endemic in Ireland. You were honest because it never dawned on you not to be yet so many people are dishonest and either don't realize it it a crime, or think it is a victimless crime because it is one being perpetrated against The State. But it is not victimless, it costs all of us in taxes, it results in a system which should be there to help (social welfare) thinking its role is in fact to hinder.

It sounds really hard on you when it sounds like you did everything right and responsible and got f***ed by the system. But if we all opt out of the system it will be worse.

Not doing something because you don't know you have to do it is not usually a crime, not doing something and knowing that you should very often can be when it comes to something like paying tax.

Dannyboy83 - I cannot pm you but if you feel that there is any question as to the legality of the increased CGT (which sounds a little strange I must admit since CGT is not levied by reference to income) please feel free to pm me, I'd be happy to help if I could and I know a bit about tax.

If you feel you’ve been wronged and the department has a case to answer for, then (assuming the appeals process has been exhausted) you can lodge a complaint with the Office of the Ombudsman. Failing that, you can seek legal advice and appeal to the High Court. Please don’t go promoting tax evasion.

See Post #9
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056076736

I lodged a complaint last November.
    I haven't even received an answer.

"Irish Public Services - Making Mexico seem professional since 1932";)

How’s it stopping you from pursuing your goal of being self-employed? I’m genuinely curious.

Are you actually reading a word of what I'm posting up on here???

Let's hear how it's done, because I've done it and I know that it CANNOT be done as you seem to envisage that it can. So let's hear it, you have 188 Euro a week coming in, you share a house with 2 others, you don't have rent allowance, so out of 188 Euro a week you have to pay rent and all bills.

So in my case, I decide to start up a web based business, the moment I decide to do so (I developed the site myself), I took on 150 Euro a month in additional business overheads, (web hosting account, a phone line needed for customers to ring me on, a Realex payment processing account costing me 35 Euro a month, an AIB merchant services charge of 30 Euro a month)...

So to launch the site properly and drive traffic to it I need to fund an online marketing campaign. Where do get the seed capital to pay for that up front (approx 10-20 Euro a day), and where do I get the seed capital to buy the initial orders that I have to fulfill from my suppliers??? Say I get 4 orders in a day and I have to buy (4 * 200 Euro items that I've sold to 4 people online for 4 * 250 Euro), where do I get the 800 to purchase what I've sold online as my suppliers don't do credit for new customers, so that I can sell these to 2 people and make 200 Euro profit for that day of sales???

I'd be delighted to hear how this is done, as you've been picking away at me for the last few pages with this kind of nonsense and what you have been contributing doesn't seem to be grounded in any actual experience of your own whatsoever.

For clarification, I was able to do it and overcome all these hurdles, and it was no thanks to the likes of the County Enterprise Boards run by politically appointed stoogies on their 120K tied salaries, (tied to the salary of a High Court judge), and it was no thanks to the "I've a 5 point plan for jobs" brigade who wasted my time and taxpayers money by misleading me into engaging with stupidly beaurocratic application processes when all along they hadn't a red cent to support any business...

Same for the banks, why fund banks that are not lending???

County Enterprise Boards, if they are not supporting small businesses, why are they still being kept open and MASSIVE cost to the taxpayer???

FAS, don't even get me started on that organisation.

• Advertisement

Dannyboy83 - I cannot pm you but if you feel that there is any question as to the legality of the increased CGT (which sounds a little strange I must admit since CGT is not levied by reference to income) please feel free to pm me, I'd be happy to help if I could and I know a bit about tax.

Thank you for the offer.
    Unfortunately, it's all quite legal.
    My father was an assistant principal in the Irish Revenue. Had it checked out.

Actually, My father took the way we were messed about quite personally because he had a lot of pride in the Irish Public Service after 35 years working in the RC, he genuinely couldn't understand how the people in the Department of Social Welfare get away with what they get away with. He reckons it must be an utterly different institution to the Revenue.
    He obviously takes it personal that I am so anti-PS, but all of my opinions are based on personal experience torture.

I don't know but my sister recently quit a job in the HSE.
    Let me tell you, she started there on 32k straight out of college.
    I started on 19k in Siemens when I left college.
    That's where our tax dollahs are going ladies and gents!
    (and then they wonder why nobody does a Science degree these days!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Sleepy wrote: »
    So, essentially, he's indulged his passions whilst being paying little or no taxes (artists exemption) to the funds that he's been paid out of (TV license paying for commercially inviable TG4, Udaraás grants for writing novels that will be read by next no-one.

What a hero :rolleyes:

lol without making any additional comments, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.. the Údarás issuing grants to writers? It's not in their remit. Why don't you do some googling before you start posting rubbish information. Or go back to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,639 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

So, essentially, he's indulged his passions whilst being paying little or no taxes (artists exemption) to the funds that he's been paid out of (TV license paying for commercially inviable TG4, Udaraás grants for writing novels that will be read by next no-one.

What a hero :rolleyes:

An incredibly short sighted view on such things. The arts are one of the most precious aspects in any culture and that man is keeping an aspect of Ireland alive that is being eroded by insipid and hollow nature of the modern world. I say he and those like him should be supported and admired for actually doing something special with their lives rather than just vegetating in front of the X-Factor or Family Guy.

Any by the way, just because "no one" reads a book does not mean the book is worthless. "no one" read books like War & Peace or The Catcher in the Rye but they remain some of the greatest novels ever written. If people read more Tolstoy and less Twilight and Dan Brown, I believe Ireland would be far better off than is so.

Let's hear how it's done, because I've done it and I know that it CANNOT be done as you seem to envisage that it can.
    Considering I had no idea what your business proposal was until your last post, it would be difficult for me to envisage any plan of action. But, you’ve succeeded in getting your business off the ground – congratulations. So what’s the problem? You’re banging on about how the state paying you €188 per week is somehow keeping you down. And yet, you’ve managed to get a small business up and running. Seems to me that the state (and, by extension, taxpayers), has given you a reasonable amount of help along the way. But because this assistance didn’t take the form of the loan that you felt you deserved, you’ve decided that the entire country is totally backward and the Department of Social & Family Affairs is staffed by a bunch of incompetent morons. Now, I’m not saying that there is no room for improvement in said department, but your whole argument is appearing more and more like sour grapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

pog it wrote: »
    lol without making any additional comments, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.. the Údarás issuing grants to writers? It's not in their remit. Why don't you do some googling before you start posting rubbish information. Or go back to sleep.
    Apologies for the inaccuracy as to the source of the grants received but I'm sure you're not going to tell me that the man is actually earning a living.
    RichardAnd wrote: »
    An incredibly short sighted view on such things. The arts are one of the most precious aspects in any culture and that man is keeping an aspect of Ireland alive that is being eroded by insipid and hollow nature of the modern world. I say he and those like him should be supported and admired for actually doing something special with their lives rather than just vegetating in front of the X-Factor or Family Guy.

Any by the way, just because "no one" reads a book does not mean the book is worthless. "no one" read books like War & Peace or The Catcher in the Rye but they remain some of the greatest novels ever written. If people read more Tolstoy and less Twilight and Dan Brown, I believe Ireland would be far better off than is so.
    I'd personally be delighted if the state would like to pay me to be a photographer or to write my opus. It would do neither the economy nor the state any service to waste money on me in this fashion however.

Just think, if instead of throwing money into the black hole of supporting a dead language and wasting 5 hours a week for 13 years attempting to teach it, we might be able to afford to hire qualified Maths teachers, to wrest our education system away from the control of the Catholic church or even include War & Peace on the English curriculum ;)

Now, I’m not saying that there is no room for improvement in said department, but your whole argument is appearing more and more like sour grapes.

Your continual 'misunderstanding' of his point is appearing more and more like a personal grudge.

You're obviously an intelligent person, I doubt you need to have it spelled out to you, but I'll paraphrase anyway.

"Give a man a fish but never assist him to get a rod, you keep him helpless and dependent for life"
    "Enable (loan if need be) the man startup funds to get a boat of his own and he will feed half the village"

Pretty basic sh1t.
    (Beyond the grasp of the Irish government evidently tho)

Just to polish it off, I'll include a quote from the man himself
    All I'm saying is that this country will never recover as long as this is what passes for a jobs strategy.

Just to cap it all off, when I was looking for 2K last year to launch my business, (and couldn't get it anywhere), I put in a FOI, (Freedom of Information request), to the government asking how much three government ministers that I had been dealing with, had claimed in travel and subsistence expenses on one particular weekend.

It turned out that what I needed to get myself off the dole for life, had been claimed in expenses by two government ministers on a Friday afternoon/Saturday morning for a hotel visit, and these guys on 200K salaries or something of that order, go figure...

Now, are you saying you honestly cannot see a problem with that?
    If so, I will retract the compliment about your intelligence.

Considering I had no idea what your business proposal was until your last post, it would be difficult for me to envisage any plan of action. But, you’ve succeeded in getting your business off the ground – congratulations. So what’s the problem? You’re banging on about how the state paying you €188 per week is somehow keeping you down. And yet, you’ve managed to get a small business up and running. Seems to me that the state (and, by extension, taxpayers), has given you a reasonable amount of help along the way. But because this assistance didn’t take the form of the loan that you felt you deserved, you’ve decided that the entire country is totally backward and the Department of Social & Family Affairs is staffed by a bunch of incompetent morons. Now, I’m not saying that there is no room for improvement in said department, but your whole argument is appearing more and more like sour grapes.

I'm "banging on" about having a year of my time wasted, a year of my life having been misled by a bunch of lying corrupt muppets in government last year, wasting a year of my life pretending that there was start up support for small businesses there when the supposed "support" not there.

It's not just a year of my life I'm angry at having been wasted jumping through a whole series of beaurocratic hoops that seemed to have been designed to do nothing other than draw away my energy and ambition.

Don't forget, even someone on the dole is a taxpayer, folks on the dole pay 13.5% and 21% VAT too, and as a taxpayer, I seriously resent the fact that the "smart money" was and still is on handing me 188 Euro a week INDEFINITELY, possibly for years, dragging me down a little bit further every week, rather than maybe using some very basic COP ON and coming up with some kind of a scheme that a 12 year old kid in primary school could come up with if asked for a solution to our unemployment problems in this country.

I could be taking 188 Euro off the state for the next 3,4 or 5 years or even longer, I was banging at the door trying to unbecome a burden on this state and I already said I was laughed out of a meeting with the then respective government minister.

And I don't know where you got this notion that this state gave me any assistance whatsoever with starting up a business, that is absolute rubbish that you have dreamed up, nothing could be further from the truth, at EVERY juncture, I was opposed by the machinery of the state, whether it was applying for a tiny amount of start up funding that could have been taken from my dole, (by way of a loan that I'd have had to REPAY), or whether it was applying for a VAT number when Revenue refused to give me one because I had the audacity to start a business from my home address, then when they did give me a VAT number they made a complete balls of setting me up on the Revenue system and a 500 Euro VAT refund I was entitled to ended up taking 6 months to be refunded, because "the forms got lost"...

What you need to do is try starting up a business in this country when you are on the dole, and come back here and tell us how you feel it went for you after you are left questioning your own sanity with the sheer number of obstructions that will be put in your way.

What you also need to get your head around is that business start-ups do not happen without seed capital. Not in my case and not in any other case either, there are always input costs. A state that stands over a situation whereby there is no access to seed capital, is not up to much in my opinion. Has it ever occurred to you WHY there are no jobs in this country?!? There are no jobs because the only thing this government does for job creation is throw money at FDI by using the IDA, it's a policy that is based on importing entrepreneurship. It's a policy that is based on an assumption that Irish people are too stupid to start up businesses.

If that's the policy then say so and admit it. But please stop winding people up about a "five point plan", and a "jobs strategy", and please save me some taxpayers money by closing down the County Enterprise Boards and the huge running costs that are associated with keeping that particular waffling shop open. And please stop pumping billions of Euro of taxpayers money into Irish banks that are openly telling applicants such as myself that they haven't a pot to píss into so don't even bother applying!

Apologies for the inaccuracy as to the source of the grants received but I'm sure you're not going to tell me that the man is actually earning a living.

I'd personally be delighted if the state would like to pay me to be a photographer or to write my opus. It would do neither the economy nor the state any service to waste money on me in this fashion however.

Joe Steve Ó Neachtain is a major talent and a terrific writer who is probably the best living writer in the Irish language. What's more his works are WIDELY read by native Irish speakers with almost every household in Conamara owning his works and there is always huge excitement whenever he has a new book out. He is a credit to this country, writing literature in our native language and helping to preserve much of the language that still exists.

Anyway neither you nor I know what other work the man does but with a permanent role in Ros na Rún and with his writings the man more than makes his living. Writers and actors make do with a lot less than others. And if you were a good enough writer you too might get some breaks from the Arts Council et al. Don't go holding it against others when they make it, it's a really bad attitude.

...or even include War & Peace on the English curriculum ;)

War and Peace on the English curriculum??? Seriously??? Thousands of better, if generally shorter, novels out there but you think it would benefit our children to struggle through a very long example of how not to edit a book. Because producing good book editors is the way forward? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

But because this assistance didn’t take the form of the loan that you felt you deserved, you’ve decided that the entire country is totally backward and the Department of Social & Family Affairs is staffed by a bunch of incompetent morons.

I think the central issue here is that HellFireClub is trying to do things "the right way", but the system is designed to dispel any notions of that and effectively railroad people into either claiming dishonestly or just throwing their hands up in the air.

I can easily understand why this is so frustrating, in my opinion it's a direct result of an over-reliance by successive goverments on foreign multinational investment. Which is unfortunately not surprising, since the MNCs were creating the jobs, there was no urgency to reform the supports given to small, indigenous startups.

edit: Just noticed that I've repeated HellFireClub's point, well +1000 to that!
    There are no jobs because the only thing this government does for job creation is throw money at FDI by using the IDA, it's a policy that is based on importing entrepreneurship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

I see that there was a new micro-finance scheme for SMEs announced a few weeks ago. Whether this will turn into yet another morass of red tape is anyones guess. Still seems to be a lot of hope pinned on getting foreign investment in yet again.

http://www.deti.ie/press/2011/20110510d.htm

Your continual 'misunderstanding' of his point is appearing more and more like a personal grudge.
    I understand exactly what his/her point is, I just don’t fully agree with it.
    I'm "banging on" about having a year of my time wasted, a year of my life having been misled by a bunch of lying corrupt muppets in government last year, wasting a year of my life pretending that there was start up support for small businesses there when the supposed "support" not there.

It's not just a year of my life I'm angry at having been wasted jumping through a whole series of beaurocratic hoops that seemed to have been designed to do nothing other than draw away my energy and ambition.
    Fair enough.
    And I don't know where you got this notion that this state gave me any assistance whatsoever with starting up a business...
    So that EUR188 per week was absolutely no assistance to you at all?
    ...or whether it was applying for a VAT number when Revenue refused to give me one because I had the audacity to start a business from my home address, then when they did give me a VAT number they made a complete balls of setting me up on the Revenue system and a 500 Euro VAT refund I was entitled to ended up taking 6 months to be refunded, because "the forms got lost"...
    I can only conclude at this point that you must be one of the most unlucky individuals in the state. I have twice applied for VAT numbers, on both occasions for small businesses registered at my home address, and I had absolutely no trouble whatsoever.
    What you also need to get your head around is that business start-ups do not happen without seed capital.
    Surely that depends on the business. For example, my mother has been unemployed for some time and recently decided to establish a cake-making business, focussing primarily on weddings – a fairly lucrative market. She’s already made two sales, totalling almost EUR1,000, with minimal initial outlay.
    Not in my case and not in any other case either, there are always input costs.
    Of course there are, but those costs don’t have to be significant.
    Has it ever occurred to you WHY there are no jobs in this country?!?
    Because everyone (not literally everyone, obviously) in the country pumped all their money into property over the last 10-15 years, rather than say, I don’t know, indigenous start-ups?

War and Peace on the English curriculum??? Seriously??? Thousands of better, if generally shorter, novels out there but you think it would benefit our children to struggle through a very long example of how not to edit a book. Because producing good book editors is the way forward? :confused:

War & Peace remains one of the most thought provoking and poignant books I've ever read. That being said, it's anything but easy reading and certainly, it's not for children but it is one of those books that I believe anyone who wishes to enrich their lives should read at some point.

Joe Steve Ó Neachtain is a major talent and a terrific writer who is probably the best living writer in the Irish language. What's more his works are WIDELY read by native Irish speakers with almost every household in Conamara owning his works and there is always huge excitement whenever he has a new book out. He is a credit to this country, writing literature in our native language and helping to preserve much of the language that still exists.

Anyway neither you nor I know what other work the man does but with a permanent role in Ros na Rún and with his writings the man more than makes his living. Writers and actors make do with a lot less than others. And if you were a good enough writer you too might get some breaks from the Arts Council et al. Don't go holding it against others when they make it, it's a really bad attitude.
    "Widely read amongst native Irish speakers"? Is that supposed to imply he sells enough books for commercially viable print runs? I'd be *very* surprised if that's the case. Everything else you've said about his writing is purely subjective. I'd argue if he was that good a writer we'd have seen English translations of his work doing well too.

I personally don't see the value added to the country by the filling of a permanent role in a soap opera that only exists as filler on a loss-making television channel that exists purely as a sop to a vocal minority, the vast majority of which don't actually watch it.

We need to stop throwing money at Irish speaking levels. If you genuinely want to see the language preserved, ditch the artificial jobs, the state supports for it and have it taught as a foreign language in schools whilst removing it's compulsory status for Leaving Cert. That way, those that want to speak it will be able to, those that have no interest will still have a smattering of it and those of us that see no value to it won't be hit with the tax burden of the current attempts to "preserve" it.
    Apologies, I was being a little facetious in the suggestion, using the famed length and complexity of War and Peace to illustrate the opportunity cost of forcing Irish students to study Irish.
    RichardAnd wrote: »
    War & Peace remains one of the most thought provoking and poignant books I've ever read. That being said, it's anything but easy reading and certainly, it's not for children but it is one of those books that I believe anyone who wishes to enrich their lives should read at some point.
    Wouldn't it be great if we could ensure that every child leaving Irish schools had the reading comprehension required to understand it? Our Adult illiteracy levels are shocking and to say that's not a mis-allocation of resources problem is akin to saying that the Irish as a population are simply too stupid to read.

"Widely read amongst native Irish speakers"? Is that supposed to imply he sells enough books for commercially viable print runs? I'd be *very* surprised if that's the case. Everything else you've said about his writing is purely subjective. I'd argue if he was that good a writer we'd have seen English translations of his work doing well too.

I personally don't see the value added to the country by the filling of a permanent role in a soap opera that only exists as filler on a loss-making television channel that exists purely as a sop to a vocal minority, the vast majority of which don't actually watch it.

We need to stop throwing money at Irish speaking levels. If you genuinely want to see the language preserved, ditch the artificial jobs, the state supports for it and have it taught as a foreign language in schools whilst removing it's compulsory status for Leaving Cert. That way, those that want to speak it will be able to, those that have no interest will still have a smattering of it and those of us that see no value to it won't be hit with the tax burden of the current attempts to "preserve" it.

Apologies, I was being a little facetious in the suggestion, using the famed length and complexity of War and Peace to illustrate the opportunity cost of forcing Irish students to study Irish.

Wouldn't it be great if we could ensure that every child leaving Irish schools had the reading comprehension required to understand it?
    Our Adult illiteracy levels are shocking and to say that's not a mis-allocation of resources problem is akin to saying that the Irish as a population are simply too stupid to read.

It would be better if schools had the standards that my father's generation had. They left national school with latin, and better Irish than Junior Cert students have these days.

Sadly there is a lower IQ level in Ireland, go over to the news and media section and you will see the discussion there. They stick us with FF and FG governments too. The dumbing down of the education system has a lot to answer for, that and every second person thinking they have it in them to be a great teacher.. ah yes, the security, the holidays, etc.

You will find that your views about the Irish language put you in a small minority in Ireland .. I won't waste my time making any further comments on that :)

Wouldn't it be great if we could ensure that every child leaving Irish schools had the reading comprehension required to understand it? Our Adult illiteracy levels are shocking and to say that's not a mis-allocation of resources problem is akin to saying that the Irish as a population are simply too stupid to read.

Most adults never reach the intellectual level required to read books like War & Peace, asking that of children would be too much. However, there is no shying away from the fact the english skills in Ireland are very poor. Thousands of young people are unable to write proper CVs or even type emails without the use of idiomatic abbreviations such as "omg" or "lol".

In my opinion this is indicitive of a dreadful lack of proper exposure to literature in a meaningful way. My own parents encouraged me to read and I devoured books as a child, reaching an adult level of literacy by age 9 (though I do have mild dyslexia). Forget about our run of the mill education system, the gift of reading begins in the home and if parents instill this into their children by giving them proper books to read, they will be giving them a huge helping hand without spending a penny.

It would be better if schools had the standards that my father's generation had. They left national school with latin, and better Irish than Junior Cert students have these days.

Sadly there is a lower IQ level in Ireland, go over to the news and media section and you will see the discussion there. They stick us with FF and FG governments too. The dumbing down of the education system has a lot to answer for, that and every second person thinking they have it in them to be a great teacher.. ah yes, the security, the holidays, etc.

You will find that your views about the Irish language put you in a small minority in Ireland .. I won't waste my time making any further comments on that :)

In my opinion, education has nothing to do with one's intelligence. Virtually all that I know comes from my own interest in the world and my own private study. Education in IReland is about getting the paper work, knowlege comes from staying in and reading whilst one's peer waste time on frivolities.

I do admire you for your interest in the IRish language even though it's not a passion I share (I can't speak two works in Irish). IRish is important but I think that the way it's taught in schools is woefully inefficient and dreadfully wasteful of time and energy as "no one" seems even slightly bothered in learning it.

People express opinions that Irish is worth saving but their actions declare otherwise tbh.

In my experience Gaelscoils are being selected for artificial advantages in the Leaving Cert and to avoid non-Irish children more than they are for a grá for the language.

Every census sees hundreds of thousands of Irish people claim to be fluent Irish speakers when they are barely conversant in the language.

TG4 has never had viewing numbers high enough to support itself (same argument could be leveled at the RTE stations but they could, in theory, support a leaner organisation on their advertising revenues). TG4 couldn't be sustained commercially without resorting to putting on more of it's most successful ratings grabbers: films in English with Irish subtitles or Sports coverage that the majority of viewers would rather have commentated in English.

We get our government to translate all official documents into Irish and no more than a handful of people request these documents in Irish. In one example I have professional experience of, the document has *never* been requested in Irish despite thousands being spent to get it translated.

The "grá" most Irish people declare for the language is little more than lip service in my experience. It makes them feel good to be seen to "have a relationship with" the language or to be thought of as "cultured" for taking an interest in a dead language. :rolleyese:

Getting back on topic: "stay and do something", to me, means: stay in Ireland and generate wealth here or lay the foundations for future growth. Anything else is just re-arranging the deck-chairs or, worse, actively detracting from our prospects of recovery.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I've spoken with my boss before about the money he needs to offer certain people (e.g. single parent with kids) to make it worth their while to come off the dole. Suffice to say, it's more than most people here earn.

Still, it's an improvement on what it was.
    At least now, we can get Irish people to work for us.
    We're a homegrown Irish IT company.
    Were it not for the fact that we could get staff from the Romania/Hungary during the Celtic Tiger Pyramid, he would have had to move the company to the UK ages ago I reckon.

The really crazy thing above all else is the money public servants are STILL starting on.

People trying to get a job in the private sector are told they can do a year of unpaid work to get experience.
    VS.
    People starting a job in the public sector are starting on €32k, €35k etc in the middle of a depression!!!

This is about the average wage of the majority of people I graduated with from Computer Science 7 years ago earn, and public servants are still starting on that.

Things are simply never going to balance out this economy until they sort out the complete asymmetry between private and public sector in this country.

• Advertisement

Anyway OP, breakingnews.ie are running a poll, stating that 75% of Irish graduates are planning to emigrate.
    Three out of four professionals will consider emigration if the economy doesn't grow soon. Are you one of them?

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/#ixzz1OgCWUvp8

I was speaking to a few of the lads at the UCC gym last night.
    One of them told me that they did a headcount and over 50% (over 100 people) of his graduate year have already gone to Australia.

Those who have stayed behind are working in menial jobs, nothing related to their careers (Science).

Seems like a no brainer to me.
    Go and make a success of yourself.

Advertisement