Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alert: New Ferguson HD DTT/Sat Combo Box - €63 before postage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭nodolan

bmaxi wrote: »
    I tried it again with no scart attached. Picture and sound for about two seconds and then "no signal", it does seem strange, even to a layman that they wouldn't play over HDMI. I was wondering if it's a consequence of our well documented reception problems here in the South East but then why would they be perfect over scart?
    I wonder if it's the HDMI cable? There are different versions of HDMI aren't there? Tony?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

nodolan wrote: »
    I wonder if it's the HDMI cable? There are different versions of HDMI aren't there? Tony?

There are different versions but all should work no problem. I hope I'm wrong but it could be the HDMI socket is sending voltage back to the box which is messing it up.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭swoofer

for the bbc streams use this

12441v, 27500, fec 2/3.

ok

gb0

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭nodolan

Tony wrote: »
    There are different versions but all should work no problem. I hope I'm wrong but it could be the HDMI socket is sending voltage back to the box which is messing it up.
    According to the specs this box is HDMI with HDCP so AFAIK either the cable or the TV might not be compatible - slap me if I'm just waffling :eek: - but I have a Philips BluRay player and a few weeks ago it downloaded an update and I couldn't use it with the old HDMI cable - luckily I had just bought a newer one and it worked fine with that. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I have a v1.3 HDMI cable which I inserted into a Sammy Slimfit tv but it wouldnt transmit a signal either:confused:

Update: I played around with the System settings, I set the Video Output to YUV and that worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Hi Tony

I too am interested in getting one of these from you when the sync issue is resolved.
    My question though - will it work with a TV sender (composite) - as unfortunately where my TV is now there is only power and I have no way of getting cables (old house, long story).

Until I saw the issue above about terrestrial and connection type this never occured to me.

Thanks
    T

I dont think this is the case here as he gets a picture for a few seconds and also the satellite is working no problem. The box outputs both in the same way.

nodolan wrote: »
    According to the specs this box is HDMI with HDCP so AFAIK either the cable or the TV might not be compatible - slap me if I'm just waffling :eek: - but I have a Philips BluRay player and a few weeks ago it downloaded an update and I couldn't use it with the old HDMI cable - luckily I had just bought a newer one and it worked fine with that. :confused:

It has a scart output if your sender accepts that or you could get a scart to video/audio phono cable.

Taltos wrote: »
    Hi Tony

I too am interested in getting one of these from you when the sync issue is resolved.
    My question though - will it work with a TV sender (composite) - as unfortunately where my TV is now there is only power and I have no way of getting cables (old house, long story).

Until I saw the issue above about terrestrial and connection type this never occured to me.

Thanks
    T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Its not a reception issue . Is there another HDMI socket or another Tv with HDMI you can try ?

I've tried it with two other TVs with the same result. Interestingly, one of the TVs has an inbuilt HD terrestrial tuner and it is having difficulty with Saorview as well, the other just has a Freeview HD box through scart and all channels are perfect,

If it was a reception issue though the terrestrials should not show up on the scart input.

I've tried it with two other TVs with the same result. Interestingly, one of the TVs has an inbuilt HD terrestrial tuner and it is having difficulty with Saorview as well, the other just has a Freeview HD box through scart and all channels are perfect,

• Advertisement

If it was a reception issue though the terrestrials should not show up on the scart input.

Had a look in the set up. With HDMI connected CH 45 is not showing at all, CH39 is showing at 80/68%. With scart, CH 45 is at 80/78% and CH 39 at 80/68%.

If you connect the HDMI lead without connecting it to the Tv does Ch 45 appear via the scart ?

Had a look in the set up. With HDMI connected CH 45 is not showing at all, CH39 is showing at 80/68%. With scart, CH 45 is at 80/78% and CH 39 at 80/68%.

If you connect the HDMI lead without connecting it to the Tv does Ch 45 appear via the scart ?

If you mean with scart connected to box and TV and HDMI connected just to the box then yes, 80/90%.

If you mean with scart connected to box and TV and HDMI connected just to the box then yes, 80/90%.

Ok so we know the HDMI cable is not shorting out, and with box scart and hdmi connected to tv does ch45 still appear on the scart input ?

Ok so we know the HDMI cable is not shorting out, and with box scart and hdmi connected to tv does ch45 still appear on the scart input ?

Do you mean all connections made or with HDMI disconnected from box?

If I just have the HDMI cable connected to the TV and scart connected to both, CH 45 is still there, if I reconnect HDMI to box it disappears.

If I just have the HDMI cable connected to the TV and scart connected to both, CH 45 is still there, if I reconnect HDMI to box it disappears.

I meant with all connections made . When the terrestrial signal disappears I take it you can still get satellite channels via HDMI ?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭darth_maul

When you say reconnect HDMI are you then switching the TV to the HDMI input,

From what it sounds to me you have both Scart and HDMI connected, but viewing through an AV scart input, I would say that the box probably turns off Scart when the HDMI is connected. when you connect the HDMI try switching the TV to a HDMI input on TV using the source button on the TV remote or unplug scart. (why have you got the scart connected if you have a TV with HDMI??)

I meant with all connections made . When the terrestrial signal disappears I take it you can still get satellite channels via HDMI ?

Yes

darth_maul wrote: »
    When you say reconnect HDMI are you then switching the TV to the HDMI input,

From what it sounds to me you have both Scart and HDMI connected, but viewing through an AV scart input, I would say that the box probably turns off Scart when the HDMI is connected. when you connect the HDMI try switching the TV to a HDMI input on TV using the source button on the TV remote or unplug scart. (why have you got the scart connected if you have a TV with HDMI??)

I have changed the source to HDMI. I connected scart when I couldn't get Saorview on HDMI, at that time I disconnected HDMI.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I have read a couple of threads on the UK forums where people were unable to receive one of the Freeview multiplexes when a particular DVD recorder was plugged into the TV with a HDMI cable.

Remarkable stuff.

Can anyone else in the Mt. Leinster area check this out?

• Advertisement

I live in the Courtown area of Wexford and Mt Leinster broadcasts on reduced power (a sore point) but I honestly can't understand why it would affect HDMI and not scart. Having said that, I'm basing my assumptions on physics rather than experience. :)

Wonder of wonders, I am now viewing Saorview via HDMI. I've no idea what happened, I touched nothing. The only clue is, the TV with the internal HD tuner is also showing Saorview in all it's glory and with higher signal levels than I've seen up to now. I can only conclude that it was a broadcast issue but why it should only affect HDMI, I'll leave the experts to figure out.
    Thanks to all for your help. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭willyb007

Does anyone know if the Cyfra + Card will work with this box if i was to buy a card?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

For what it's worth, the weather has been playing havoc with my Welsh ch45 all day. In these conditions it's touch-and-go if I get Wales or Mt L. Could it be Preseli jamming your Mt L on ch45 but letting ch39 through as it's no co-channel?

For what it's worth, the weather has been playing havoc with my Welsh ch45 all day. In these conditions it's touch-and-go if I get Wales or Mt L. Could it be Preseli jamming your Mt L on ch45 but letting ch39 through as it's no co-channel?

Surely if that was the case it would affect it whether scart or HDMI though the improvement did sort of coincide with weather improving. I don't normally have problems with Preseli.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭TheCeltictiger

I received my Ariva120 in the post and had no real problems setting it up. All in all it is a decent bit of kit for the price.

It did take a good few hours to organise favourites and sorting channels to my personal preference.

So my problem is...I want to backup .abs file with all favourites saved to a usb drive, as I know we are due a software update to address the lip sync glitch and all my hard work with sorting the favourites will be in vain.

I have a MacbookPro that do not have a R232 network cable port.

I am looking to connect via the network and FTP to the receiver...is this possible?
    Do I use a standard ethernet cable or a ethernet crossover cable ?
    I have opened the FTP client on my Mac (Transmit) and inputted the IP address of the receiver but I do not know the default username and password of the Ariva120...any suggestions?

Also what should the port setting be?

Any assistance with this is greatly appreciated, thanks.

So my problem is...I want to backup .abs file with all favourites saved to a usb drive, as I know we are due a software update to address the lip sync glitch and all my hard work with sorting the favourites will be in vain.

Use a USB Stick and go to "Tools" - "Upgrade by USB" scrool over to "Dump File" and Dump your list to USB. This can be used to reload your list after the FW Upgrade. Hope this helps, If not i have posted a link to a list based on the S*y FTA Channel List earlier in this thread.

On another note can anyone tell me if the Cyfra+ card is compatible with this box? Am thinking of buying one but would be a waste of money if was not to work. I have Googled and nothing comes up for it like a compatibiliy list for recievers etc

willyb007 wrote: »
    On another note can anyone tell me if the Cyfra+ card is compatible with this box?

I'd be surprised if it didn't as its made in Poland

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭TheCeltictiger

willyb007 wrote: »
    Use a USB Stick and go to "Tools" - "Upgrade by USB" scrool over to "Dump File" and Dump your list to USB. This can be used to reload your list after the FW Upgrade. Hope this helps, If not i have posted a link to a list based on the S*y FTA Channel List earlier in this thread.

On another note can anyone tell me if the Cyfra+ card is compatible with this box? Am thinking of buying one but would be a waste of money if was not to work. I have Googled and nothing comes up for it like a compatibiliy list for recievers etc

Thanks willyb007, all sorted now with my dump file.abs backed up. Just need to wait for the next rev of firmware to be released

• Advertisement

Thanks willyb007, all sorted now with my dump file.abs backed up. Just need to wait for the next rev of firmware to be released

Very good! Glad to have been of help! When you go to upload your channel list after your firmware is in select "Allcode + Bootloader" to upload new list, the box will shutdown and re-start with your saved list.

Yes as Tony said earlier, New firmware could be available from as soon as Monday so hopefully it will iron out some problems also a problem is that it will not give any Info on Irish channels which is weird! If that was to be sorted by this FW Upgrade also, I would be very happy!:)

Advertisement