Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alert: New Ferguson HD DTT/Sat Combo Box - €63 before postage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Thanks for the info, i'm wondering why the sync times are slightly different as they are both on the same broadcast stream . I have relayed this to ferguson.

darth_maul wrote: »
    no they are not the same, they are a different audio format, I think the DA one maybe Dolby surround, the nar one is just normal stereo sound (BTW this cannot be always used as a replacement as it is an audio description stream for blind people similar so in movies and drama you will hear a person describing whats going on,

As I said earlier the problem seems to be with these [DA] labeled audio as I even seen it on mpeg2 with a DA stream on 19e

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭darth_maul

Darth Maul wrote:
    ok to get the channel list to work with new firmware this is what is needed.

Open ariva editor and open you channels list.
    go to file export and save it as a udf (user database)
    close arivaeditor and open again
    open udf file
    the goto file export and save it over the new firmware abs file
    this now has new firmware and your channel list

put usb drive back in combo box
    goto upgrade by usb
    upgrade mode userdb
    select the new firmware file
    click start

have one ready here if anyone needs it .

Network still not working don't know what was fixed with this
    maybe a local issue

Tony wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, i'm wondering why the sync times are slightly different as they are both on the same broadcast stream . I have relayed this to ferguson.
    would say the sync issue is in how the box decodes the audio, different codec would be used for different format.

would say the sync issue is in how the box decodes the audio, different codec would be used for different format.

That makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭willyb007

open udf file
    the goto file export and save it over the new firmware abs file
    this now has new firmware and your channel list

goto upgrade by usb
    upgrade mode userdb
    select the new firmware file
    click start

have one ready here if anyone needs it

It's telling me I cannot save a udf file as an abs file? Where am I going wrong?

• Advertisement

Anyone else tried the new software ? Would love to hear more opinions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 rochep

I bought mine also from satsklep

rochep

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

The notes tha accompany the upgrade is as follows:

1. Web radio - internet radio service based on http://dir.xiph.org/

Internet radio playback depends on network connection speed
    and stability.

Note that some of servers can be full when trying to access
    them, in this case radio will not be played. The maximum number of
    simultaneous listeners allowed depend on server settings.

2. Recognized multimedia file extensions are listed below.
    Not all files with those extensions are playable - some files may
    include not supported codecs and/or settings (for example divx).

- Audio files: mp1, mp2, mp3, mp3 Pro, ogg, flac, wav (PCM only)

- Video files containers: avi, mkv, mpeg, mpg, mov, vob, ts, m2ts, trp, mp4,
    | dvr (default record format)
    |
    |-> video codec supported in containers: mpeg2, H.264
    |-> audio codec supported in containers: mp3, aac, ac3

- Subtitles in format SRT (utf-8)

- Images files in formats: bmp, jpeg, jpg

// *********************************************************************** //
    C A U T I O N !!! C A U T I O N !!! C A U T I O N !!!
    > Playback of some files may fail or be incorrect.
    > Copy protected content is not playable.
    > Playback may suffer temporary interruptions (image freeze, faster/slower
    playback, etc) when the audio language (audio track) is changed.
    > A damaged movie file may not be played correctly.
    > Videos with resolution higher than 1920x1080@25/30P or 1280x720@50/60P
    may not work properly.
    > We do not guarantee smooth playback of movies encoded in profiles
    level 4.1 or higher in H.264.
    > Playback of movie files with video bitrate over 30 Mbps may be incorrect.

I have installed and so far I've noticed no improvement to the DTT channels. I'm connected via HDMI.
    Will do further testing.

I have installed and so far I've noticed no improvement to the DTT channels. I'm connected via HDMI.
    Will do further testing.

is it all DTT channels ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mukah

Hey, brand new to this forum, I've been keeping an eye on this thread this last week as I have bought one of these box's and decided to share my findings and hopefuly get some answers to questions...

I have to admit I'm not very savvy on this subject but I managed to download and install the new update today and I have to admit I'm not seeing any difference, although in saying that I havn't had too much of a chance to have a proper look at it.

Sorry for being a bit of a dunce but can someone let me know out of all the satellite(s) what one should I be using? Using one of the ASRTA sats at the moment but not sure what the differences in them are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭philahern

I can't see any difference with the problems I had. Still very bad sync issues and web radio still does nothing even though the box gets an ip and I have a 30mbs connection. Disappointing.

Mukah wrote: »
    Hey, brand new to this forum, I've been keeping an eye on this thread this last week as I have bought one of these box's and decided to share my findings and hopefuly get some answers to questions...

I have to admit I'm not very savvy on this subject but I managed to download and install the new update today and I have to admit I'm not seeing any difference, although in saying that I havn't had too much of a chance to have a proper look at it.

Sorry for being a bit of a dunce but can someone let me know out of all the satellite(s) what one should I be using? Using one of the ASRTA sats at the moment but not sure what the differences in them are?

Astra 2 & Eurobird 1 for all the channels.

Any one having any luck with loading channel list after installing new Firmware? I have tried Darth_Maul's method but it won't let me save the udf file as an abs file. Can anyone tell me how they managed to upload their list without reverting back to the V2.13 firmware, or where I have went wrong using Darth_Maul's method?

willyb007 wrote: »
    Astra 2 & Eurobird 1 for all the channels.

Thanks willb007.....so what happens now?? If the update that came out today doesn't fix the lip sync issues, wait for another update??

Would be interesting to know what todays update did do if it didn't fix the lip sync issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭philahern

Any one having any luck with loading channel list after installing new Firmware? I have tried Darth_Maul's method but it won't let me save the udf file as an abs file. Can anyone tell me how they managed to upload their list without reverting back to the V2.13 firmware, or where I have went wrong using Darth_Maul's method?

I followed the steps and it worked just fine. Did you export it over the new firmware file from Ferguson? Not sure if that makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

I've tried the new 2.14B2 firmware but I still see lip-sync issues on both HD channels and normal channels.
    I'm using the HDMI out, btw.

Thanks willb007.....so what happens now?? If the update that came out today doesn't fix the lip sync issues, wait for another update??

Would be interesting to know what todays update did do if it didn't fix the lip sync issue?

Yes seems like we will have to wait for another update. I cannot comment on whether it fixes it for me or not cos the box just reverts to old version of firmware after I have uploaded channel list so I have no channels to view unless I use the older firmware. looks like I will have to spend yet another 2/3 days compiling a new list!

philahern wrote: »
    I followed the steps and it worked just fine. Did you export it over the new firmware file from Ferguson? Not sure if that makes a difference.

Can you explain how that is done? Do you mean save it when exporting as the same name as the firmware?

Yes seems like we will have to wait for another update. I cannot comment on whether it fixes it for me or not cos the box just reverts to old version of firmware after I have uploaded channel list so I have no channels to view unless I use the older firmware. looks like I will have to spend yet another 2/3 days compiling a new list!

Ah right, well in that case I'll have to find some more patience from somewhere....back to old Fortec Star in the meantime then so!!

Can you explain how that is done? Do you mean save it when exporting as the same name as the firmware?

When exporting the file select the new firmware as the filename and export it over that. It then creates a channel list with the new firmware.

open udf file
    the goto file export and save it over the new firmware abs file (basically overwrite the new firmware file "A120Combo_20110620_V2.14B2.abs")
    this now has new firmware and your channel list (still has same file name A120Combo_20110620_V2.14B2.abs)

goto upgrade by usb
    upgrade mode userdb (or Allcode+bootloader if you haven't yet upgraded the firmware)
    select the new firmware file (A120Combo_20110620_V2.14B2.abs)
    click start

have one ready here if anyone needs it

• Advertisement

When exporting the file select the new firmware as the filename and export it over that. It then creates a channel list with the new firmware

Thank you, I was getting confused with the lingo. Have done this now will take a look of how i find the sync issue and report my findings when im finished work:D

is it all DTT channels ?

What I've founds is as follows:

1 HDMI. Lip-synch issues remain in all channels.Did not record through hdmi.

2 Scart. DTT channels are fine, but a reduced level in the sat channells, i.e. not as bad. Am watching The Frontline on DTT

3. PVR. When recording a sat channel you can now see only those sat channels on the same Transponder. With the old firmware, I could see any other channel.
    Will try recording the DTT channels after 10.00pm

new firmware with embeded channel list (saorview may need to be rescanned)

http://www.mediafire.com/?3cjjgcnbhv5nnz5

Found the remote was very unreponsive after the update. Turned everything off and rebooted. Voila:) Lip-synch 99% gone:).
    Now recording a DTT channel & can see all other DTT channels and Sat channels. Will try to record a Sat channel after St James O'Reilly has fixed our health system.:rolleyes:(Frontline)

Found the remote was very unreponsive after the update.

I found that too but like you it seemed ok after I re powered the unit with the mains switch at the back .

Ah right, well in that case I'll have to find some more patience from somewhere....back to old Fortec Star in the meantime then so!!

When you have your boxes firmware updated and your list, Switch it off at the mains for a while and then back on. Seems to have sorted out some of the lip sync problems worth a shot for you :)

Hey thanks for that willyb007, seems to have done the trick....its alot better although just working through scart at the moment...

Just an unrelated question, might sound daft but gonna ask anyhow...

On the Fortec Star receiver, there's an RF OUT socket, which I used to hook up to another tv in another room, I then had a little IR sender to control from there....in this ariva there's no RF OUT....is there anyway that I can hook the 2 box's up to recieve the TV from the ariva and use the fortec star to direct to the other room??

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭s_gr

still seems to be lip sync issue on channels, dtt channels also effected....

Hey thanks for that willyb007, seems to have done the trick....its alot better although just working through scart at the moment...

Just an unrelated question, might sound daft but gonna ask anyhow...

On the Fortec Star receiver, there's an RF OUT socket, which I used to hook up to another tv in another room, I then had a little IR sender to control from there....in this ariva there's no RF OUT....is there anyway that I can hook the 2 box's up to recieve the TV from the ariva and use the fortec star to direct to the other room??

Read the manual !!! It specifically mentions NOT connecting a second appliance. You will burn it out:eek:

• Advertisement

Still can record one sat channel & not see any other from a different transponder:(

Advertisement