Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J. Cole

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

his work before his album is his best, friday night lights etc are some of his best work.

his album is ok nothing amazing there's about 3 great songs the rest is very meh in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I've listened to him a bit more, and I'm just not getting it. There's something about him that's not clicking with me.

I've listened to him a bit more, and I'm just not getting it. There's something about him that's not clicking with me.

seems to me from what i can gather from peoples opinions he's either a love him or hate him kind of artist.

I think he struggles on the more club/hit/commercial side of things, he's great when it comes to making real serious music that covers a dark or sad topic etc but when it comes to actually making a hit that will lure people in i think he struggles, in saying that who dat is quite good imo should have been on the album.

also he should have never of given puffy this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

seems to me from what i can gather from peoples opinions he's either a love him or hate him kind of artist.

I think he struggles on the more club/hit/commercial side of things, he's great when it comes to making real serious music that covers a dark or sad topic etc but when it comes to actually making a hit that will lure people in i think he struggles, in saying that who dat is quite good imo should have been on the album.

also he should have never of given puffy this.

Did Cole actually sell that to Diddy???????????

That ranks up there with that chap who turned away The Beatles as one of the worst decisions of all time. Diddy's version has 77 million views and was featured on almost everything over the past while.

Plus the fact that this is 10 gazillion times better than Diddy's version.

I am disappointed in J.

This could have been the song to launch him into the stratosphere. Given the radio play that the other version got then I don't think I'd be wrong in saying that.

Did Cole actually sell that to Diddy???????????

That ranks up there with that chap who turned away The Beatles as one of the worst decisions of all time. Diddy's version has 77 million views and was featured on almost everything over the past while.

Plus the fact that this is 10 gazillion times better than Diddy's version.

I am disappointed in J.

This could have been the song to launch him into the stratosphere. Given the radio play that the other version got then I don't think I'd be wrong in saying that.

ye it was a huge mistake agree with you 100 per cent, as far as i know cole wrote the lryics and the beat was made by alex da kid, im not sure though! all I know is cole passed it up and diddy got his hands on it.

it was a huge hit at the time, as you were saying it could have been massive for cole and the kind of song that would of put him in the public eye on a global stage, especially with skyler grey coming of the back of love the way you lie by eminem which was another massive hit.

that's a good idea for a new thread rappers that turned away beats that were eventually hits by others.:D

the in da club beat was turned down by d12 and also the beat from the song heat from get rich was turned away by busta and rakim while they were on aftermath with 50, im sure there's loads more id love to hear some more if anyone knows of any.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Wow, never knew that Cole had that song before Diddy, could have been a hit but even if he did release it I don't think it could have ever been as big as Diddy's version.

It's actually a great idea for a thread, beats/songs that got passed around from artist to artist before it made someones album. I know Eminem's "Almost Famous" was originally a Game track intended for The RED Album, there's a few more I can't think of right now but it could potentially be a really interesting thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

jmmy iovine is being ironic right.:confused:
    up there with the beatles, would have launched him..:confused:
    didnt j cole's first week #'s beat dddy's last train to paris first week #'s.:confused:

btw he should have held on to it, and who wrote the lyrics for diddy?

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    jmmy iovine is being ironic right.:confused:
    up there with the beatles, would have launched him..:confused:
    didnt j cole's first week #'s beat dddy's last train to paris first week #'s.:confused:

You seem very confused there :pac:. I got a bit excited and jumped the gun by comparing it to turning down The Beatles, but there's no doubt that it was a big mistake.

I know Cole put up some solid first week numbers. The one thing he's missing is a chart-topping single. He could probably have gotten that from the "Coming Home" song. Then again the track may have fallen completely flat.
    btw he should have held on to it, and who wrote the lyrics for diddy?

From looking round the web it seems that Jigga may have wrote the lyrics and then J Cole had a part to play in the flow and delivery. Both have been credited with songwriting on the track anyway.

Wow, never knew that Cole had that song before Diddy, could have been a hit but even if he did release it I don't think it could have ever been as big as Diddy's version.

It's actually a great idea for a thread, beats/songs that got passed around from artist to artist before it made someones album. I know Eminem's "Almost Famous" was originally a Game track intended for The RED Album, there's a few more I can't think of right now but it could potentially be a really interesting thread.

ye its something along those lines, also from what i can gather by a quick search on the net cole seemed to ghostwrite it for diddy but laid down his version as a demo of it and sent it to diddy and he changed a few things around, I wouldn't say it was much though as diddy doesn't write his own lryics most of the time, but something along the lines jimmy iovine is saying but iv never heard of jigga writing the lyrics but jay does do a fair bit of ghostwriting at least he use to anyway.

ye I think it would be a good thread, il start it tomorrow at some stage if i get a chance or if you beat me to it go ahead and get it started, I think it would be genuinely interesting, even there what you said about game passing up the almost famous beat that eminem has on recovery that's the kind of stuff that goes unknown.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Well well well, at least J Cole can do something worth watching/listening to:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Hiiipower has amazing production, plus he has done a lot of great beats from what others have told me.

cant go wrong with an old school sample and hook, always partial to one, but very kanye 03, still, i like it, who produced it?

cant go wrong with an old school sample and hook, always partial to one, but very kanye 03, still, i like it, who produced it?

Canei Finch. Seems he produced Dollar and a Dream III.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Danow247

Another j. cole track released a few days ago. beat by elite is quality.

Also rumours flying around everywhere that there is 2 more coming soon.

1st one is supposed to be a Mr Nice Watch remix with T.I/Kendrick/Kanye/Jay-Z

2nd one is a song called Temptations with Kendrick Lamar. Ive been waiting to hear a cdq of this for a good year now. Here it is from a listening session a year ago. sounds ridiculous. supposed to be dropping this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Who's saying Temptations is coming this week?

That new track is good, really looking forward to hearing the Nice Watch Remix

love to hear temptations, few of us been waiting on that one for a while now!

not really liking vizions of home tbh, i think grew up fast is a lot better. I think cole struggles on those kind of beats tbh, he just doesnt match the tempo of the beat for me on vizions of home.

beat is quality though like you said, just think cole could have done better on it.

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Who's saying Temptations is coming this week?

That new track is good, really looking forward to hearing the Nice Watch Remix

just seen it on a few of the forums.

http://www.jcolenation.com/forum/f4/cole-x-kendrick-lamar-coming-soon-2460.html

love to hear temptations, few of us been waiting on that one for a while now!

not really liking vizions of home tbh, i think grew up fast is a lot better. I think cole struggles on those kind of beats tbh, he just doesnt match the tempo of the beat for me on vizions of home.

beat is quality though like you said, just think cole could have done better on it.

I like it. Not out of this world or anything & grew up fast defo better.
    but that beat is serious. ur right cole just doesnt flow with the beat.

Not sure if you have downloaded elite's mixtape he released before xmas. Some very good songs on it.
    http://elitethatsme.bandcamp.com/album/awaken

• Advertisement

Danow247 wrote: »
    I like it. Not out of this world or anything & grew up fast defo better.
    but that beat is serious. ur right cole just doesnt flow with the beat.

Not sure if you have downloaded elite's mixtape he released before xmas. Some very good songs on it.
    http://elitethatsme.bandcamp.com/album/awaken

is elite the producer of visionz of home? iv never heard of him but will give the mixtape a proper listen during the week when iv got time.

gave world premiere a blast there, very good man.

new cole "fool"... live at the rock the bells concert... i reckon this will be decent when we get the cdq

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Seriously got his album about two months ago and still listening to it everyday in my car...

Best album since Dr Dre's 2001 album....

I love J Cole and Friday Night Lights is one of my favourite releases of all time but it was a disappointing album. There are some great songs on there but on the whole it's not at the same level as his mixtapes.

There have been countless numbers of better albums released over the last 13 years as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

I love J Cole and Friday Night Lights is one of my favourite releases of all time but it was a disappointing album. There are some great songs on there but on the whole it's not at the same level as his mixtapes.

There have been countless numbers of better albums released over the last 13 years as well.

Agree 100%. Still has loads of time and potential to make classics, hopefully he does so. Hopefully he releases more and more of his harder stuff. Some of the stuff that he has released since album that didn't make it is far better than 80% of album

Not sure if this was put up already. New Cole, KRIT & Kendrick on DJ Khaled's album.

Downloaded the album a few days ago and this is the only other song ill be listening to from it. Great tune.

cole featured on lil waynes new mixtape. absolutely murdered him on it. not that would be too hard considering how sh*t wayne has gone but still quality verse from cole hopefully this is a sign of things to come. meant to be dropping an Ep soon aswell so hopefully its back to the mixtape quality records that got me hyped on him 2 years ago.

2 dope new tracks from cole, very unique feel to them, love the pac sample at the end of the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Just heard the Get Free Cole World track now. Again, only my first listen but a little disappointed - was expected a crazy unorthodox uptempo beat (a la Slight Work by Wale) when I heard Major Lazer (Diplo and Switch) were producing.

Was surprised to get a more subdued beat.

Slight Work has to be one of my favourite beats of the last few years. Been intrigued by Diplo's stuff ever since I heard it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Slowly turning my opinion of J Cole around, but his production is insane.

Advertisement