Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J. Cole

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Danow247 wrote: »
    #

Barring the below i think its better than all of them

the miseducation of
    illmatic,
    college dropout,
    ready to die

Obviously just have different tastes.

Ah jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

i like the album its pretty fu*king good imo a lot better than the rubbish thats called hip hop these days, imo cole is really nothing like drake just because he can sing his hooks doesn't mean he's comparable to drake...

those who compare him to drake... are you actually listening to the lyrical content? you cant deny the fact cole can rap and is the closet thing iv heard to pac in terms of story telling in his raps on the other hand drake is a pop star who actually cant rap aswell as being commercial as f*ck give me one piece of evidence to show cole has gone down the same pop route as drake, kanye, eminem, lil wayne, snoop, jay z, 50 etc etc i could go on all day... even reakwon who recently was working with the beaver justin!!!:mad:

most of his raps are not pop orientated at all, he raps about real things and real storys not like 99.9 per cent of studio gangsters or hip- pop rappers who use re-cycle the same bullsh*t all the time and half of them are not even who they say they are i.e a rick ross but look cole is not a gangsta rapper so to compare his work with other gangsta rappers like snoop, wu tang etc is just beyond stupid... he has a very different sound to a lot of the debut albums listed above! so judge it on what it is and what hip hop is these days because its nothing like it used to be when most of those albums were released..

but look eminem sings his hooks and makes pop music, kanye west does auto-tune and sings but both are considred top mc's but not in a drake bracket?

im confused as **** in todays hip hop, you have a rapper in cole who's a breath of fresh air and multi- talented as fu*k but because he's not rapping about how many bottles he's poppin in the club or how much money he has or who he is shooting up he's getting slated and labelled boring i don't get it, the actual album follows pretty much the same path as his mixtapes and if you have listened to them you should have expexted his album to sound the way it does! isnt that why we were fans of his in the 1st place?:)

but look im not trying to change anyone's opinions we all have different taste's thats why you have to watch what your comparing the album too imo.

liking this one big time!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

That 'Breakdown' song posted is pretty damn good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Really liking this album a lot, well worth the wait. Favorite tracks at the moment are probably Breakdown and Dollar and a Dream III, will admit there's 1 or 2 tracks I tend to skip but it's a very solid debut IMO. Album seems to be doing well sales wise too, 220k-220k predicted for first week which is great.

I'll give it 7.5/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Mufc, you're saying that you're confused that J. isn't getting the recognition that he got for his mixtapes.. I think that the likes of Friday Night Lights are a much better body of work than this current album. I say that as a big fan of Cole's. This album attempts to go hard in places and it doesn't work. His usual softer stuff doesn't work either.

I'd have paid for Friday Night Lights and possibly the Any Given Sunday series. Not this album.

Probably needs another good listen but I wasn't in any way taken by this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Danow247 wrote: »
    #

Barring the below i think its better than all of them

the miseducation of
    illmatic,
    college dropout,
    ready to die

Obviously just have different tastes.

Woah calm down there laddy. I think it's a great album. Love some of the songs on it. I think you're a bit hasty with your comment above.

Production wise it's nowhere near the level of Paid in Full and Endtroducing. That's not up for discussion.

He's a good lyricist alright but it pisses me off how focused part of the album is on pleasing the young female market. There are a few great songs in there that I just can't listen to because they are just ridiculously soppy and cringy. Could be part of the reason why he's seeing such great first week sales though. Can't blame him if that's the case.

As another poster said I'd have paid for Friday Night Lights. I played that to death. Nearly sick of it now I played it so much in the first few weeks.

Favourite songs are Dollar and a Dream III, God's Gift and Breakdown.
    Mr. Nice Watch is forgettable. Dunno why Jigga went on that. Bad decision.

It's a bit early to say this but maybe he's not suited to the album format. Some artists pump out 3 mixtapes a year that are of an unreal standard yet stumble when it comes to the album. Chamillionaire has been doing this for 10 years. He got fúcked over by the label execs and it resulted in a poorish album by his mixtape standard.

Look at the 400 bars freestyle Game dropped a year or so back. Then see the follow up album. Dreadful in comparison. I can't explain it but some perform better on mixtapes and maybe, just maybe J Cole is one of them people

I think we expected too much on the basis of J Cole's mixtapes and it hasn't really worked out yet. He's still young and has a long career ahead of him. I definitely think he has the potential to throw out a classic.

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Mufc, you're saying that you're confused that J. isn't getting the recognition that he got for his mixtapes.. I think that the likes of Friday Night Lights are a much better body of work than this current album. I say that as a big fan of Cole's. This album attempts to go hard in places and it doesn't work. His usual softer stuff doesn't work either.

I'd have paid for Friday Night Lights and possibly the Any Given Sunday series. Not this album.

Probably needs another good listen but I wasn't in any way taken by this.

No mate I'm saying I'm confused in general about today's hip hop and the state its in, but that's a whole different topic and will only cause another of topic argument with someone. I'm not saying this album is a classic but it is very good IMO, this is the thing and it's sort of highlighted by a poster above cole is a victim of his own success, he has set the bar so high in his mixtapes that it was nearly enitivatable that fans would compare his album to his mixtapes it happens to a lot of rappers not just cole that's why it was probaly a bad idea making such a good quality of music on his mixtapes, let's face it as you kind of said it, his mixtapes are like albums which is always a danger it can pay of but i don't think it has in Coles case because of the constant comparsions his album will get vs his tapes. He should have put out a lesser quality of music on his mixtapes but then you could argue he wouldn't have the same buzz as he does now???? But the one thing that annoys me is people putting him in a hip pop category when there's very little evidence out there to show he has gone down this route! Bare with this comment don't know how to make paragraphs on phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Everything about J Cole is fine but really, really, boring. He doesn't seem to have any discernible personality. His writing style is incredibly dull. Never listened to the 1st album but this one just sounds like a check list of track types your meant to do and they're done pretty weakly.

Everything about J Cole is fine but really, really, boring. He doesn't seem to have any discernible personality. His writing style is incredibly dull. Never listened to the 1st album but this one just sounds like a check list of track types your meant to do and they're done pretty weakly.

His first album is this one.

after having some time to let the album sink in, i have to say i understand the critism he is getting here.

i find myself only listening to the same 3 or 4 songs the rest of the album is without a doubt very average with 1 or 2 terrible songs thrown in the mix and i can see why people are calling it boring, there a lot of album fillers on it where he really does struggle to keep my attention.

still a good album, just not what i was hoping for. Even though i said this album would be compared to his mixtapes I have to imithe some of his mixtapes are actually better than this album.

as said above, cole's young he's def gotta a classic in his locker imo but not this, cole world the sideline story is not it.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Stab*City wrote: »
    You think that wannabe Drake album is better than:

things fall apart,

*cough* 4th album *cough*

I mean anyone is entitled to their opinion. I don't think you'll find many co-signing it as an instant classic. For me it doesn't match his mixtapes. It's just a bit too boring for me. As for the whole Drake thing, I only said this album was soft not that he sounded like Drake and this album is soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

RE: Earlier post. Can we stop comparing everything to Illmatic, Ready to Die and The Infamous please. It's like saying any new rock music is pointless because you really like The Beatles and The Rolling Stones better.

This **** is soooooooo soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Veles wrote: »
    so what j cole tracks would ye recommend to someone who hasnt listened to him?

personally i wouldnt.

'Rise & Shine'','Breakdown' and 'God's Gift'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Definitely 'Breakdown' and 'God's Gift', and these others as well are pretty good imo.

This one is my favourite on that mixtape. Love the beat.

Not technically his song but I love his verse on this. Twas the first time that I'd heard him anyway. Not easy to go onto a song with Jay-Z and more than hold your own on it.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    personally i wouldnt.

That's because you refuse to listen to any music that was recorded after December 31st, 1999.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    That's because you refuse to listen to any music that was recorded after December 31st, 1999.

I'd thank this post twice if i could.

• Advertisement

His mixtape, 'Friday Night Lights', is a good shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Still very undecided about how I feel about J. Cole. Some of his stuff is a bit soft and not exactly gripping enough for me, a little boring. I think I need to listen to a bit more though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Home For The Holidays, blow up and back to the topic are actually pretty good.

But for me there is too many songs which are average or crap and each song is longer than it needs to be and has a lot of crap and repetition.

I really have to listen to blueprint 3, those jay verses are deadly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Personal fave J. Cole song, contains my fave verse from this year

The more niggas sayin'
    Cole the wrong one bringin' the city shine
    All he ever doin' is paintin' pictures of crime
    Tellin' stories of pain, paintin' pictures of dope
    Bitch if you listen I'm paintin' pictures of hope
    That boy in class embarrassed because he broke
    Hopin' the day he won't be the butt of somebody's jokes
    See me; I lived it all from dirt-poorin' and trailer
    Worried about my mother and never trustin' my neighbors
    To middle-class with a backyard and my own room
    To bein' the only black kid in my homeroom
    Academically gifted and followed my own rules
    Was runnin' the streets hey ma I'll be home soon
    Was out chasin' ho's, was out hoopin'
    Them niggas wasn't ballin' but yet they was foul shootin'
    So meet the newest role model who don't know how to fake this ****
    Never sold a rock and look I made it bitch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

giving friday night lights another listen, listened to it ages back and just wasnt feeling it, for what ever reason.

one of those moments when i gotta hold my hands up and say i was wrong, most songs are really really good, unless it goes drastically down hill between now and the end(only 8 tracks in) this one those moments i should have given an artist more time long before i did.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Friday Night Lights is quality, the album was far from impressive though.

FNL is definitely his best work IMO, still listen to it every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Danow247

Here are some of my favourite j.cole songs/features:

Should have kept this for the last song on his album imo

-ifJRLg0LqU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Rastapitts

J. Cole - was wondering what he was doing since leaving liverpool

• Advertisement

Rastapitts wrote: »
    J. Cole - was wondering what he was doing since leaving liverpool

Now you can stop wondering and get back to working on your stand up act.

Advertisement