Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J. Cole

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Danow247 wrote: »
    Weve got a classic on our hands! Its unbelievable from start to finish!!
    production, lyrics, sequencing are all top notch.

Great to hear it lived up to the hype, the next few days are going to drag in for me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    He's given his fans a lot of great music for free over the last couple of years and most Hip-Hop fans would agree that he is an incredible talent and exactly what the genre needs at a time when Lil Wayne and Rick Ross are considered to be among the best rappers alive.

Then again, you're not a fan - you've already made that clear so I'm not sure why you're still posting in this thread? Actually, forget that, I do know why.

If you don't think he deserves your support then don't buy his album :)
    hes not an incredible talent.
    listen you think the same about game so we can take that statement with a pinch of salt.

j cole is all hype, he has no buzz because hes just not that great, even jay gives him half a$$ed verses.

i just wondered why it is you urge people to go out and pay good money to support you favourite rappers.

you say if i dont want the album dont buy it, i say to you, if you want to support an artist go ahead and support them, but stop telling other people they need to support them.

let people make their own minds up instead of assuming you like it so it must be great, there fore everyone must buy into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

he is very talented. he has created something people have waited for and many people like it. there is no way around this.

game is not talented - his first album was great his last album is not good but then this thread his not about him or his wack album

cole album seems v nice to me, will play it in my car all week and enjoy it

if you like it buy it, if you don't dont. simple as. the back and forth is tedious

its possible that people on here have different tastes. I like red wine and my friend does not :)

cole world! :)

this place gets worse, you can only discuss something you like, if you dont like something or dont think something is as wonderful as other people your not supposed to enter the thread.
    grow the fcuk up ffs.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Will this be in the HMV shops does anyone know? I'm in Kilkenny and we're not blessed with too many music shops.

If not I might order it online now from Amazon and pick up a few other things along the way.

• Advertisement

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    hes not an incredible talent.
    listen you think the same about game so we can take that statement with a pinch of salt.

j cole is all hype, he has no buzz because hes just not that great, even jay gives him half a$$ed verses.

i just wondered why it is you urge people to go out and pay good money to support you favourite rappers.

you say if i dont want the album dont buy it, i say to you, if you want to support an artist go ahead and support them, but stop telling other people they need to support them.

let people make their own minds up instead of assuming you like it so it must be great, there fore everyone must buy into it.
    Here we go again...

Firstly, as much as I like Game, he doesn't have nearly as much talent as Cole. There is no question as to who is the superior rapper IMO. Sorry to disappoint you.

Secondly, I never told anyone here to do anything. All I said was I think after all the free music Cole has given his fans I think he deserves our support. Everyone here can think for themselves, they don't need me to tell them what to do, if they want to buy the album they can make that decision themselves.

Don't know what you're digging here for Hugh but IMO you're just being a mouth as usual. How many times do you have to get infracted/banned before you will stop trolling? You have too much free time on your hands.

Will this be in the HMV shops does anyone know? I'm in Kilkenny and we're not blessed with too many music shops.

If not I might order it online now from Amazon and pick up a few other things along the way.

It will be in HMV Grafton Street and Dundrum on Friday so I would imagine it will be in all their stores? Maybe ring the one in Kilkenny and find out for sure..

While we're on the subject, here's Coles views on the album leak.
    “If anything the leak will reach out to more people who might be like ‘ah man, let’s go get this.' So you know, it's kind of like promotion these days—if you got a good album. If you don't have a good album—they'll just trash you.

There's been worse leaks than that so I understand it's apart of the game—I always understood that. As long as people hear it together—it's cool. I just know that people who are going to buy it were going to buy it anyways and the people weren't—probably weren't anyways.”

http://www.vibe.com/video/j-coles-comments-album-leaks-cole-world-hit-net

It will be in HMV Grafton Street and Dundrum on Friday so I would imagine it will be in all their stores? Maybe ring the one in Kilkenny and find out for sure..

That's good to hear. I've their number so I'll ring tomorrow morning. They better have it. I've been waiting too long for this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

going to download the leak now and give it a listen at some stage 2mro when i get a chance, so far all iv heard is mr nice watch and the song with trey songz and as of a few minutes ago the track with missy which is ok but i didnt listen to it properly only glanced through it really.

looking forward to the listen 2mro, will post up what i think of it:).
    if you dont like something or dont think something is as wonderful as other people your not supposed to enter the thread.

agree with hugh here, there seems to be an unwritten rule in a lot of threads regarding a negative opinion on an artists music or actions as a rapper or infact the topic being discussed, seems like sometimes in certain threads to enter and get involved without being attacked so to speak you have to agree with the crowd.. just my opinion.:)

• Advertisement

agree with hugh here, there seems to be an unwritten rule in a lot of threads regarding a negative opinion on an artists music or actions as a rapper or infact the topic being discussed, seems like sometimes in certain threads to enter and get involved without being attacked so to speak you have to agree with the crowd.. just my opinion.:)
    its ridiculous mate, some times it feels like ive wandered into a fan club, its a public forum not dedicated to any one subject or person yet you have to LOVE the subject or person to enter the discussion.

people need to grow up and realize life is not all roses and chocolate.

Oh and prettyboy's post was reported, hoping a mod finally says something to him, its long over due.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Been giving this a listen, not bowled over by Dollar III in any way. Only halfway through so I'll check back tomorrow.

Oh and prettyboy's post was reported, hoping a mod finally says something to him, its long over due.
    hatersgonnahate7.jpg

Mods?

Oh and is there a way of reporting private messages, prettyboy sent me a nasty one which im furious about?

Mods?

Oh and is there a way of reporting private messages, prettyboy sent me a nasty one which im furious about?

there is a helpdesk for such matters and a mod will see this when they get time as they are volunteers, in the meantime can you guys keep your bickering off the forum as it is extremely dull with the comments / stupid pictures.

Keep this thread on topic to positive / negative reviews comments of a mature nature

Given the album a listen and definitely like it but would have perferred a few more harder tracks - it is mostly mellow enough

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Ok, so this thread took a turn last night. Let me try to clear this up and be as diplomatic as possible.

Don't know what you're digging here for Hugh but IMO you're just being a mouth as usual. How many times do you have to get infracted/banned before you will stop trolling? You have too much free time on your hands.

PrettyBoy - Leave the moderating to the moderators please. There is no need to discuss a posters history in the open forum. Please take this to PM with the mods or report the post. You should not need to reference a fellow poster directly and personally when discussing a topic.
    this place gets worse, you can only discuss something you like, if you dont like something or dont think something is as wonderful as other people your not supposed to enter the thread.
    grow the fcuk up ffs.:rolleyes:

Hugh Cream - This is a discussion forum so all parties thoughts on the topic are welcome, your point is valid, but there is no need to follow it up with the growing up comment.

Agreed, use the report post function or report to a mod by PM if you believe there is a problem.

people need to grow up and realize life is not all roses and chocolate.

Comments like telling people to grow up are not on topic and unecessary, plesae refrain from this in the future.
    Mods?

If you want to share it with me, feel free. I have no access to other people's PMs. I can look at it and take whatever action is necessary.
    bigpoppa wrote: »
    there is a helpdesk for such matters and a mod will see this when they get time as they are volunteers, in the meantime can you guys keep your bickering off the forum as it is extremely dull with the comments / stupid pictures.

Keep this thread on topic to positive / negative reviews comments of a mature nature

Given the album a listen and definitely like it but would have perferred a few more harder tracks - it is mostly mellow enough

As bigpoppa says, keep this thread on topic. I have not issued any bans or infractions on any of the above. But the next person to stray off topic or comment directly about a poster will be banned/infracted.

......so, J. Cole......

Havn't personnaly heard the album yet but will get around to it over the weekend. I've been on the fence about him so far. Some of what i hear is great, then there is alot of mediocre songs.

There was a lot of hype around Friday Night Lights, I personally thought that if there was about 6 songs trimmed from it, it would have been much better.

Ha the boys in HMV are useless. Went in today and asked we were they getting in the new J Cole album. Your chap stared at me and said "J? Like just the letter J?"

Couldn't believe he had to ask me that. I was about to set him straight and tell him all about J Cole but I had to go. Didn't pay for parking so I didn't want to get a ticket.

They're getting it in anyway so I'll pop down early Friday morning and buy it. Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Most people wouldn't know who J Cole is, he has almost zero presence here. It's not like you went in and asked about Jay-Z.

Have yet to listen to this, will probably give it a spin tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Liquidswords

Auditory chloroform.

This boy is awful.

Beats. Rhymes. EVERYTHING.

The personification of boredom.

To be serious for a moment the album ain't bad but preferred his mix tape stuff. Given it a few listens but too mellow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Ok i said id save any comments i had until after i heard the album as i had made enough before without even hearing it and that wasnt really fair. Ok so i have listened to the album twice (sort of) first on my laptop last night and then during the commute to work at full volume.

The reason i said sort of listened to it twice is because the second time i fast forwarded through the first 13 songs to number 14 which in my opinion is the first half decent track. I could probably see myself listening to this album again..

IF I WAS A FEMALE. But alas i am not. Crap. Crap. Crap album. Boring Boring album. He defo wrote this album for the ladies. And same as WTT this album will suffer greatly because of the hype machine.. One of the best MC's out there? I think not. At best its a nice cd to f**k your bitch too.. Actually on second thoughts maybe not cuz if anything could make me lose a b*ner its this album. I dont know about all you backpack hip hoppers out there but when i listen to hip hop the last thing i wanna hear is the artist talking about how pretty his 18 yr old girlfriends hair is.. I like banging hip hop with monster beats and grimey rappers who can spit fire.. not this.. This IS HIP POP. Im gonna file this away with all my fresh prince cd's. Joke.

Im out.

At best its a nice cd to f**k your bitch too

Seriously? You must be quite the ladies man, you know women read this forum too right?
    I dont know about all you backpack hip hoppers out there but when i listen to hip hop the last thing i wanna hear is the artist talking about how pretty his 18 yr old girlfriends hair is.. I like banging hip hop with monster beats and grimey rappers who can spit fire.. not this.

Fair enough and I agree to an extent but its possible (just possible) that different people like different types of hip hop? I mean just because you may prefer to listen to more hard core stuff doesnt make everyone else a "backpack hip hopper" (what ever that is)

As for me? I'm out yo. 5000G. Peace to all my bitches in the Clonskeagh area and to all my homies locked down (well not locked down but stuck at home) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

bigpoppa wrote: »
    Seriously? You must be quite the ladies man, you know women read this forum too right?

Fair enough and I agree to an extent but its possible (just possible) that different people like different types of hip hop? I mean just because you may prefer to listen to more hard core stuff doesnt make everyone else a "backpack hip hopper" (what ever that is)

As for me? I'm out yo. 5000G. Peace to all my bitches in the Clonskeagh area and to all my homies locked down (well not locked down but stuck at home) :)

Walkin' down Grafton Street, too many foo's steady mean muggin. I'm finna take a DART back to Bray, call my crew and roll on them suckas. That be life out on these streets. Y'all dont know bout my hustle. On my grind 'errday.

The album is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

It's pretty boring, nothing like his tapes at all. It's definitely is a bit soft. I think Drake is having too strong an influence these days, I'm all for a break from the grimey and gritty tracks but I found myself having to resist the urge repeatedly to skip to the next track.

I'll give it a few more spins but I'm quite disappointed with it.

There's nothing backpacker about this and it's not really Hip-Pop but it's radio friendly for sure.

Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Danow247

He is doing big numbers!! 115k copies sold on the 1st day. Projecting 225-250k first week! That is huge for a debut album.

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/industry/retail/j-cole-s-world-album-headed-for-no-1-on-1005376642.story

Havent stopped listening to this album. Its up there with any of the greats debut album imo. Production is nearly better than the lyrics. Some of the beats are incredible.

Everyone has their own opinion & is into there different styles of rap but i cant understand how anyone can knock this album. Anyway i dont care im loving it :)

He is doing big numbers!! 115k copies sold on the 1st day. Projecting 225-250k first week! That is huge for a debut album.

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/industry/retail/j-cole-s-world-album-headed-for-no-1-on-1005376642.story

Havent stopped listening to this album. Its up there with any of the greats debut album imo. Production is nearly better than the lyrics. Some of the beats are incredible.

Everyone has their own opinion & is into there different styles of rap but i cant understand how anyone can knock this album. Anyway i dont care im loving it :)

Ill put it like this, it aint no
    36 chambers,
    2pacalyse now,
    doggystyle,
    paid in full,
    illmatic,
    college dropout,
    ready to die,
    criminal minded,
    3 feet high and rising,
    black on both sides,
    the miseducation of,
    things fall apart,
    only built for cuban lynx,
    the infamous,
    strictly business,
    lets get free,
    southernplayalisticcadillacfunkymusic,
    licenced to ill,
    yo! bum rush the show,
    endtroducing,
    run dmc

and i could keep going and going.. the production barley ok up until imo the first anyway decent track no. 13

aint no classic at all at all ,passable at best, havent listened to it since, he went too soft imo

to be fair he was never gonna sound like wu tang as he dont look like ODB :)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Danow247

Stab*City wrote: »
    Ill put it like this, it aint no
    36 chambers,
    2pacalyse now,
    doggystyle,
    paid in full,
    illmatic,
    college dropout,
    ready to die,
    criminal minded,
    3 feet high and rising,
    black on both sides,
    the miseducation of,
    things fall apart,
    only built for cuban lynx,
    the infamous,
    strictly business,
    lets get free,
    southernplayalisticcadillacfunkymusic,
    licenced to ill,
    yo! bum rush the show,
    endtroducing,
    run dmc

and i could keep going and going.. the production barley ok up until imo the first anyway decent track no. 13
    #

Barring the below i think its better than all of them

the miseducation of
    illmatic,
    college dropout,
    ready to die

Obviously just have different tastes.

• Advertisement

#

Barring the below i think its better than all of them